Keeney`s Corner

A current and reflective discussion of cattle breeding from outside the registered mainstream

HomeUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Ben`s Place; a human perspective

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Ben`s Place; a human perspective    Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:43 pm

The following is from Ben`s the first morning of the gathering...pictures and commentary by Kendra Tiemann, wife of Jon Tiemann, La Grange, MO...I should have let Kendra do the posting, but she is busy with school and farm work, along with two children...so Kendra, I hope this order is ok...all your thoughts are here....well, almost all Very Happy Very Happy

Kent, TC, Jon and I are in agreement that Larry’s wrong turn at Ben’s was probably not an accident. While we are all sheep following the leader, I think Larry recognized the need for a few extra minutes for Ben and his family and we all followed without question. Larry denied it, but how coincidental that our length of time down the wrong road was exactly what was needed for Ben & his family.

“A wonderful gift might not be wrapped as you expect it.”-Jonathan Huie

Without mentioning names, as this person can comment as they wish, I remember later in Larry’s garage having someone say, “This has been a very different gathering.” Not knowing how to take it, I asked for more clarification. They said, “It’s not been real organized, it’s been very different than anything I’ve been to before.” Wondering if they were disappointed, I asked for further explanation. To which they explained, “This is the first time I’ve been to something like this where someone wasn’t trying to sell me something, or trying to tell me what I should think.” (I don’t think I misquoted, but if I did, please correct me) Definitely a road less traveled. One where independent thought is appreciated, encouraged, and acknowledged. Even more powerful, is to be validated for having the capacity for such a task. No EPD’s, test data, sire reference sheets, or other promotion handed out here, just the encouragement of free thinking.

“Neither circumstances nor surroundings can bring contentment. Only by fitting ourselves to meet conditions as they are, calmly and courageously, may we hope to reconcile ourselves to our position of life.” -Fred Van Amburgh

Ben said he was uncomfortable talking in front of people. I contend that his Sincerity, his voice of sensible thought, and the apparent joy and contentment for what he is doing overshadowed any nerves. What a gift to have all three packaged together.

I know Ben said he was very nervous, but nothing but genuineness showed. I wonder if he knows the power he holds with his word.
I'm a big fan of quotes. The following sums up my feelings of Ben and his program, presentation, character, and everything else.
“In character, in manner, in style, in all things, the supreme excellence is simplicity.”- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

I can remember Ben saying, “We find it better to feed out 2 year old bulls instead of pushing our yearlings.”

The motive behind this decision is what grabs my attention. Daily observations of parents and children in public education reinforce to me that the motive doesn’t vary whether it be cattle or humans. I watch and listen to parents who seem so desperate that I sense they might even be willing to pay large sums of money to enroll their pre-kindergartner in a “scissor cutting skills” class, so they can boast of being the parents of the best scissor cutting Kindergartner, -for at least a week anyway. (It is possible that they could actually collect some data to reinforce their child’s extraordinary scissor cutting talents, perhaps the teacher might even refer them to the “gifted or outlier” class for scissor cutting skills). Meanwhile all the “other” kids in class idle along as nature might have it, and before long, all kids can effectively use scissors, and many have exceeded the “scissor cutting outlier.” Somewhat ridiculous example, but is it really?

How powerful is this picture? Makes me think of Wendell Berry's quote- "Nobody can discover the world for somebody else. Only when we discover it for ourselves does it become common ground and a common bond and we cease to be alone." I reallly wish there were caption bubbles above everyone's head to reveal what each was thinking as they listened to Ben. I don't know about you,but I can almost "feel" the introspective thinking that appears to be occurring. What a testimony to what is possible when one isn't subjected to listening to someone who has "all the answers and determined to convince you of their agenda." Larry's face radiates a sense of Pride with Ben's words that I really can't describe. One of my favorite pictures from that day!

Another of my favorites. I'll always remember this point of the day being when Ben's dad talked about how proud he and his mom were of Ben, and the story of Ben and Brooke`s son talking about what he wanted to be when he grew up. He didn't need to be a rancher because he already was one. I suppose in the bigger picture, this might be even a bigger accomplishment than the great accomplishment he is making with his cattle

Another favorite of mine. I talked with Bill on Larry's front porch quite a bit. His stroke has limited his movement, but not his spirit. He thinks so highly of you and Larry! And, I think so highly of his son Chris. What a gift he gave his dad by bringing him to Red Lodge. Cattle breeding is one thing, but once again this selflessness is the bigger picture!

I continually read of the elevated position that is placed on the functional role of the female in breeding cattle. I remember riding around with Mike and Jon looking at cows, always on the quest of seeing “so and so’s” mother. With all of attention and merit given to the functional role of the female, any subtle interpretations of this picture can come from one’s independent thoughts.

Ben and his mom...

Scott Peck, in the Road Less Traveled began by saying, “Life is difficult. Once we truly know that life is difficult-once we truly understand and accept it- then life is no longer difficult. Because once it is accepted, the fact that life is difficult no longer matters.”

Last edited by MKeeney on Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.keeneyscorner.com
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Ben`s Place; a human perspective    Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:03 pm

Thank you Kendra and Jon for all the work you did at the Gathering...and Kendra, for this special perspective ...
Ben is not the only talented, rising star that frequents Keeney`s Corner ... Smile
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Ben`s Place; a human perspective    Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:55 am

I just had to include this pic outside Kendra`s montage...it brought a song to mind immediately that fits the fellow in the pic near perfectly in my guarded opinion Smile although, sometimes, he does give answers Smile

Day after day,
Alone on a hill,
The man with the foolish grin is keeping perfectly still
But nobody wants to know him,
They can see that he's just a fool,
And he never gives an answer,

But the fool on the hill,
Sees the sun going down,
And the eyes in his head,
See the world spinning 'round.

Well on the way,
Head in a cloud,
The man of a thousand voices talking perfectly loud
But nobody ever hears him,
or the sound he appears to make,
and he never seems to notice,

Sees the sun going down,

And nobody seems to like him,
they can tell what he wants to do,
and he never shows his feelings,

Sees the sun going down,

Ooh, ooh,
Round and round and round.

And he never listens to them,
He knows that they're the fools
They don't like him,

The fool on the hill
Sees the sun going down,

Ooh,
Round and round and round

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Ben`s Place; a human perspective    Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:06 am

Kendra,

Thank you for your presentation. The photographs are absolutely beautiful. Having not been there, Erica and I can get a feeling for what this component was about. The importance of family is what I get out of the whole deal. The family making the presentation and the great photographs showing the family wishing to experience Ben's cattle and environment. They all had their name tags on at that point I see. By the time they got up here the name tags were chucked. Ha! I love your quote by Longfellow, it says it all. "In character, in manner, in style, in all things, the supreme excellence is simplicity." Erica and I have found that to be our goal, but often not easy to accomplish. Through your photographs and writings I can smell the event, hear the event and get a real strong feeling visually. Thank you very much. Put us on the list of being your fans.

Dennis Voss in the vicinity of wondering whether you were able to chat with Ben's mom. I have had the opportunity and she's a great one.
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Ben`s Place; a human perspective    Thu Aug 25, 2011 1:01 pm

MKeeney wrote:
I just had to include this pic outside Kendra`s montage...it brought a song to mind immediately that fits the fellow in the pic near perfectly in my guarded opinion Smile although, sometimes, he does give answers Smile

Day after day,
Alone on a hill,
The man with the foolish grin is keeping perfectly still
But nobody wants to know him,
They can see that he's just a fool,
And he never gives an answer,

Sees the sun going down,

Well on the way,
Head in a cloud,
The man of a thousand voices talking perfectly loud
But nobody ever hears him,
or the sound he appears to make,
and he never seems to notice,

Sees the sun going down,

And nobody seems to like him,
they can tell what he wants to do,
and he never shows his feelings,

Sees the sun going down,

Ooh, ooh,
Round and round and round.

And he never listens to them,
He knows that they're the fools
They don't like him,

The fool on the hill
Sees the sun going down,

Ooh,
Round and round and round

to those of you who have emailed me about who is on the hill, no, that`s not him...grin and pleasantly still eliminates that possibility Smile ...plus, the man on the hill is very confident in himself and his direction in life...he`s also perfectly willing to stand alone above and watch , occasionally stepping down into the foolish fray to help a friend with similiar purposes in life...I hope I don`t have to ask him down to help very often; I want to spend my time climbing up to meet him on his rather lofty perch Smile
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Ben`s Place; a human perspective    Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:57 pm

Kendra,
I want to thank you for taking the time to comment and share pictures from our part of the gathering. Your commetary touched Brook and I and my folks deeply. I think the comment that my Dad made about your work sums it up well, he said "She gets it doesn't she." Coming from him you couldn't get much higher praise. I am very fortunate to have the support system that I do here. I have Brook my wife who's patience, love, and support the boys and I could not do without. And you wanna talk maternal just say something about one of our boys and you better watch out! I have the boys Wil the thinker and Sam the doer. There has not been a day that they have not brightened for me. Wil had his first day of kindergarten yesterday and boy was he ever excited. Wil is the one who when asked what he was going to be when he got big, replied "Well I already am a rancher" and then he went on to list a number of other careers he would have as well. He figures he can do his other jobs in addition to he and Sam running the ranch together. I have my Mom who's passion, creativity, congeniality, and understanding has been a big part in who I am. When my Mother has a cause she stands by it to the bitter end regarless of what anyone else thinks, I admire her very much for that. I am probably more like her than I will admit. I have my practical, steady, knowlegeable, and very reliable Dad. Dad allowed me to start making "Ranch" decisions at a very young age. He's let me make my mistakes and hopefully I learn from them. It's funny because many of them are mistakes he himself has made. I guess he figures I learn better by experiencing them for myself. My Dad also taught me of the importance of trade-offs. It wasn't until recently that I really got this. Understanding that there are Trade-offs for everything I think is the most important thing to grasp, whether it be in livestock breeding or life in general. You can never have it all. My folks together taught through example that if you are honest, hard working, tough, and you live by the Golden rule you can overcome any obstacle. I am one lucky person to be where I am. I wouldn't trade places with anyone.

Ben in the vicinity of getting enough rain to slow my haying up this afternoon.
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Ben`s Place; a human perspective    Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:04 pm

I think I might have a case of Kendra`s scissor syndrome; kinda reliving my past through Ben; seeing if I might nudge it
on a little different course this time around...I put the three pictures of Ben to represent the metamorphous I`ve seen in Ben over the past two years...I remember kinda keeping my head down and ears open on my first trip to Larry`s...being more relaxed and kinda sitting up in my chair {I couldn`t have relaxed on a horse Smile } and actually talking on my next trip, and now...pretty comfortable and , well, hell...argumentative Smile ...wrong usually, but not afraid to be wrong...
I`m pretty envious, but so happy that I can relive past experiences with , or through Ben...is that being childish? bad? mean, MS ? if it is, I am also quite content to take that guys place up on the hill standing with a knowing grin, though being perfectly still would be a problem ... Smile
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Ben`s Place; a human perspective    Fri Aug 26, 2011 6:58 am

"Nobody can discover the world for somebody else. Only when we discover it for ourselves does it become common ground and a common bond and we cease to be alone."

I really like this quote; we are independent breeders, but not alone...bonded by a common quest...
I called Ben last night and was delighted for him to say, "where are we meeting next year?"...made me feel less foolish, because I too, have already been thinking about it; something to look forward to ...silage chopping next week though, and I`m afraid I may have too many experiences like Dennis`s in store...equipment can do that to ya...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Ben`s Place; a human perspective    

Back to top Go down

Ben`s Place; a human perspective
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1