Keeney`s Corner

A current and reflective discussion of cattle breeding from outside the registered mainstream

HomeUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Average is everywhere

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage

PostSubject: Average is everywhere   Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:18 pm

http://www.pasturepro.com/blog/2011/07/building-a-cow-herd-with-beefmaster-and-south-poll-genetics/

I figured if Jack didn't get me moved, I might research into some red eared goodies, and came up with this.

Back to top Go down
Chris B

PostSubject: Re: Average is everywhere   Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:46 pm

BH,

We have a fellow Missourian running some South Poll's that was at the Red Lodge gathering. He picked them up from Teddy Gentry's last year so there hasn't been much time to evaluate their effectiveness in our area of Central MO. My first thought when I read about them was that they are a glorified composite, but each individual he brought back has been reflective of the Bonsma type so it will be interesting to show what time reveals with successive generations. There are some crossbred heifers running with them that are sired by a Shoshone Beecher son and half of them were bred back to a KA Encore again son out of a Beecher daughter, the rest of the heifer mates were bred back to South Poll so we will see how they average out. There was some talk about AI'ing some of the South Poll cows to the Encore Again bull, but I don't know if it got done or not.

An interesting part of the article was that apparently endophyte in fescue is exothermic and add's 10 degrees to the day, do you know of any data to back that up?

Chris B in the vicintiy of getting heated up trying to figure out if cows will go into heat while out in the heat.
Back to top Go down
Grassfarmer

PostSubject: Re: Average is everywhere   Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:14 am

Those south polls look interesting - I'd never heard of them before. Apparently some Luing semen was used by Senepol breeders on one of the Carribean islands a 15 years ago - don't know why they would use Luing unless they wanted cows with rastas.
Back to top Go down
http://www.luingcattle.com

PostSubject: Re: Average is everywhere   Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:24 am

They look good from what I can see and what the hell Chris, we are all running glorified composites.

Jack, actively looking for a place for Joe and his family.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Average is everywhere   Fri Aug 19, 2011 1:50 pm

Thanks Chris. I have been to Freeman's a cuouple of times, but he still had the beefmasters then. I think most of these guys are doing a breed up program, but I could be wrong. Was the young guy from Missouri with dark hair, the one with the Polls? I did not get to visit with everyone as much as I should have, but lots of people put me off sometimes, and can get a bit overwhelming.

Grassfarmer, you done went and got all Scottish on me, what is a rastas?

Jack, you have some competition from the Northland, so you might want to get after it, or not, the prize isn't really all that grand.

EddieM brought up the color deal again somewhere, and he is right, I think, maybe. I would like to have just enough ear in them to have to look close, maybe 1/4 bloods or less.

I do wish the brangus would have quit making new ones continually, to get some stabization.

who out there has a reputable earred cow program, in fescue country?
Back to top Go down
df

PostSubject: Re: Average is everywhere   Fri Aug 19, 2011 1:59 pm

Maybe Bruce Shanks at Belle, MO? No Brahman but use of other heat-tolerant breeds.
Back to top Go down
larkota

PostSubject: Re: Average is everywhere   Fri Aug 19, 2011 3:54 pm

Last edited by larkota on Fri Aug 19, 2011 7:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Average is everywhere   Fri Aug 19, 2011 4:54 pm

What about Murray Grey Joe? Light color anyway.
Back to top Go down
Grassfarmer

PostSubject: Re: Average is everywhere   Fri Aug 19, 2011 8:48 pm

Bootheel wrote:

Grassfarmer, you done went and got all Scottish on me, what is a rastas?

Google Rastafarian. Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.luingcattle.com

PostSubject: Re: Average is everywhere   Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:14 pm

larkota wrote:

https://www.msu.edu/~ritchieh/historical/cattletype.html

which one is average?

Briann, I'm going to have to bust your chops again Very Happy Me and df, and some others already cussed and discussed the Ritchie chronicles, in the wheelz of fortune, but it is applicalbe here, so only two demerets for you today.

Gregory, I think I am back in the color doesn't matter camp, but type, or biological type, such as Brahman, is what matters more. I don't believe a shorthorn by angus is going to hold much advatage. I have had a few blue roans, like yours, over the years. I do like 'em.

df, I never have heard of this Bruce fellar, Belle was where the old 4B angus outfit used to be though. What kind of cattle has he?

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Average is everywhere   Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:19 pm

I was thinking light colored for the heat.
Back to top Go down
Chris B

PostSubject: Re: Average is everywhere   Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:37 pm

Jack McNamee wrote:
They look good from what I can see and what the hell Chris, we are all running glorified composites.

How true Jack, I tend to forget that from time to time, I guess old habits do die hard with me. Let me start over: Hi, my name is Chris and I am a recovering registered breeder

Last edited by Chris B on Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:54 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Chris B

PostSubject: Re: Average is everywhere   Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:39 pm

Bootheel wrote:
Was the young guy from Missouri with dark hair, the one with the Polls?

He was the average looking one in the group photo.

[img][/img]

Actually LH side in red shirt beside Larkota, name was Jeremy.
Back to top Go down
Chris B

PostSubject: Re: Average is everywhere   Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:08 pm

Hmmm, intersting thing looking at the photo above and how you truly do see averages everywhere. Look at the distribution curve in relation to how people are standing, the majority of the population is in the middle. Stands to reason that this may represent the knowledge of cattle breeding of the group since I am the low outlier on the left and Larry is at the far right.
Back to top Go down
df

PostSubject: Re: Average is everywhere   Sat Aug 20, 2011 12:31 am

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Average is everywhere   Sat Aug 20, 2011 7:36 am

Chris, I thought that is who you were refering to. Where is he from in Missouri? I was thinking South Central, but maybe that was you.

Thanks for the link df, by the way, where you been? I was handin' out hugs awhile back, and you weren't there.

grassy, I am still working on the Rastard farrier. I didn't know they wore shoes anyhow.

Back to top Go down
df

PostSubject: Re: Average is everywhere   Sat Aug 20, 2011 9:14 am

Spent the summer learning about mixed model equations and thinking/writing about genotype by environment interactions in beef cattle.
Back to top Go down
RobertMac

PostSubject: Re: Average is everywhere   Sat Aug 20, 2011 9:46 am

Bootheel, I think you are right...color is a factor, but a minor factor. Highly vascular hide, high number of sweat glands, and type of hair are bigger factors. Brahman developed like they did in the tropics for a reason.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Average is everywhere   Sat Aug 20, 2011 11:48 pm

df wrote:
Spent the summer learning about mixed model equations and thinking/writing about genotype by environment interactions in beef cattle.

I did that one time too Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Average is everywhere   

Back to top Go down

Average is everywhere
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1