Keeney`s Corner

A current and reflective discussion of cattle breeding from outside the registered mainstream

HomeUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Summer in the Allegheny Mountains

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
MVCatt

PostSubject: Summer in the Allegheny Mountains   Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:38 pm

I really enjoy seeing everyones pictures. So when I went out to move cows tonight I thought I'd take a turn.

Back to top Go down
MVCatt

PostSubject: Re: Summer in the Allegheny Mountains   Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:52 pm

We'll call this bull Ricky. I caught him doing his Sniff the Wind impression, but he's no Sniffy. He does however, have a little Sam in him.
Not Bootheel's Sam, but the Sam Bootheel's Sam came from.............I think.

This heifer lost her calf in May. I'm gonna give her another shot. I know the Ruthless Culling Gods are frowning down upon my weak selection
methods. But the cost to replace her is high and I'm willing to roll the dice.
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Summer in the Allegheny Mountains   Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:30 am

what beauty Chris...thanks for sharing it, along with your version of pragmatic truth...
Back to top Go down
http://www.keeneyscorner.com

PostSubject: Re: Summer in the Allegheny Mountains   Thu Jul 14, 2011 7:46 am

Green is good! Your pics have it all, romance, dogs, scenery, riddles, forgiveness.

Thanks

Bootheel
Back to top Go down
Hilly

PostSubject: Re: Summer in the Allegheny Mountains   Fri Jul 15, 2011 11:09 am

Looks like a bit of history on that place... care to share?

That is pretty country, very enjoyable to drive through; I may look you up next time, if you don’t mind visitors... Thanks for sharing Smile
Back to top Go down
MVCatt

PostSubject: Re: Summer in the Allegheny Mountains   Fri Jul 15, 2011 5:39 pm

Hilly wrote:
Looks like a bit of history on that place... care to share?

That is pretty country, very enjoyable to drive through; I may look you up next time, if you don’t mind visitors... Thanks for sharing Smile

Hilly,
You're always welcome here (as is all who post here at KC), stop by any time. Hell, we could even set up a little cattle tour of our own.

Posted a link, with a lot history of the place (lot of photos at the bottom). While we are not part of the original family here, a few of my closest friends are, and I'm proud to be part of it. The house has fallen in, but the spring house is being rebuilt.

http://www.korns.org/michael_korns_farm.html
Back to top Go down
MVCatt

PostSubject: Re: Summer in the Allegheny Mountains   Sun May 31, 2015 8:53 am

Early Spring trying to cover ground as fast as possible.

Trying my hand at some alfalfa grazing.

Waiting to move...

I'm not in Wyoming anymore...

The aftermath....

Well...years after my first 5barx post when Eddie told me to get sheep to cure my "ragweed woes" I finally listened.
I'm a slow learner Eddie.

My newest employee.
Back to top Go down
EddieM

PostSubject: Re: Summer in the Allegheny Mountains   Sun May 31, 2015 2:33 pm

I'm not used to folks listening to me! Looks like you are headed toward weed free status ASAP. And you have a great deal more patience that I do if you use much of the polynet. It is good stuff if you do not get it tangled. Nice pictures all around.
Back to top Go down
pukerimu

PostSubject: Re: Summer in the Allegheny Mountains   Sun May 31, 2015 9:20 pm

Such great photos - thank you for sharing them. What is the elevation of your property? I see wind turbines so there is a prevailing wind?
Back to top Go down
http://www.mtmableangus.co.nz
MVCatt

PostSubject: Re: Summer in the Allegheny Mountains   Mon Jun 01, 2015 12:03 am

pukerimu wrote:
Such great photos - thank you for sharing them.  What is the elevation of your property?  I see wind turbines so there is a prevailing wind?

Megan,
We are not very high in elevation as compared to the world's standards. The farm sits at about 1800ft, and the mountain in the background is around 2800ft. Behind that is the eastern continental divide (Water goes to the Atlantic on my side, and to the Gulf of Mexico on the other...). It's very windy here. The farm is uniquely positioned to take all of the western winds with nothing to break it up. It doesn't take much in the summer to dry this place out really fast (That's why I'm experimenting with alfalfa). During normal years the storms hug the mountains and go out around us (unless you have hay down Smile ).
Back to top Go down
pukerimu

PostSubject: Re: Summer in the Allegheny Mountains   Mon Jun 01, 2015 12:57 am

Thanks for the info - so 549 m at the farm and mountain is 854 m ? - similar to here - our property goes from 400 at the house (1476 ft) to 800 (2624 ft - I have a handy conversion in the front of a farming diary - would be stonkered otherwise - metrics introduced to NZ just after I was born - teachers struggled and therefore so do I) at the top of Big Hill. Big difference is the prevailing westerly drops rain on us all the time - great in the summer (except for haymaking - have only made baled silage this year due to previous hassles and ...... wouldn't you know it days and days of perfect hay making weather ....... lol! ) but makes for long and wet winters - snow comes usually after days and days of freezing rain ............. painting a pretty enough picture for you?

I am guessing you have decent snow? How long does it hang around for usually, and does this mean having your cattle close to home and penned or do they stay at pasture with supplements? Loving the forest around the place. Is that natural (native), original or regenerated?
Back to top Go down
http://www.mtmableangus.co.nz
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Summer in the Allegheny Mountains   Mon Jun 01, 2015 8:38 am

I'm not in Wyoming anymore...

I`ve seen that hair coat here before...and I don`t like it...further substantiating my opinion that the poorest way to move genetic characteristics is via cows...and the closer bred they are; the  longer the adaptation period...of course, when you need females, you need females...
only a fool would think he could re-create someone else`s genetic combinations; a breeder puts his name and number on cattle and builds his own reputation  cheers Chris...but a marketer flashes up a long pedigree and because it reads somewhat the same sells based on someone else`s reputation...
Back to top Go down
http://www.keeneyscorner.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Summer in the Allegheny Mountains   

Back to top Go down

Summer in the Allegheny Mountains
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1