Keeney`s Corner

A current and reflective discussion of cattle breeding from outside the registered mainstream

HomeUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

SD TRIP- Larson Bros Angus

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: SD TRIP- Larson Bros Angus   Sun Nov 13, 2011 7:42 pm

larkota wrote:
11-11-11

found out old rare semen is not worth much without all the BS.
could of had your pick for $1500
now we will find out what they are worth by the lb.

so Lodge @$250,000 for 2/3 "that may be a record that still stands, I'm not
sure" didn`t carry much weight with the commercial crowd at your sale Brian?...or were
you afraid to say or write such, afraid the cattleman`s snickers would upset the pheasants? I`d sure hate to try that line here with my little customer base; the barn would empty...
in my DV mode now, the first thing neccessary in the new paradigm is run off those who can`t deal with reality...in the long run you`ll be ahead, fewer headaches...and remind yourself how wonderful it is to not be that desperate for an extra dollar...
many are called, but few choose...

Back to top Go down
http://www.keeneyscorner.com
Mark Day

PostSubject: Re: SD TRIP- Larson Bros Angus   Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:57 am

Bummer.
Back to top Go down
larkota

PostSubject: Re: SD TRIP- Larson Bros Angus   Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:17 am

questions after the sale that I cant figure out or that make me laugh

how many 190's do you have?
how much for the NO SALES?
how can you sell cows for $1800 and the bull only average $1600?
who is the sire to MOB?
did I [the buyer] get the best bull?
did you know that bull had pinkeye?

John Cotton made the next morning call to check things out. told him they are not so valuable when you sell more then one a year.

all is well. made my payments. ranching to breakeven this year.
Back to top Go down
chocolate cow

PostSubject: Re: SD TRIP- Larson Bros Angus   Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:08 am

Briann, Since the sale is over and apparently things are back to normal, are there any books left? Or should I take mine somewhere and have re-prints made? I never heard back from you as to whether I could get three copies.
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: SD TRIP- Larson Bros Angus   Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:19 am

chocolate cow wrote:
Briann, Since the sale is over and apparently things are back to normal, are there any books left? Or should I take mine somewhere and have re-prints made? I never heard back from you as to whether I could get three copies.
there are extra books here, and i too have been dragging on sending some out...
Back to top Go down
chocolate cow

PostSubject: Re: SD TRIP- Larson Bros Angus   Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:00 am

Thanks Mike. Could I get three? I'll send you the $90 today.
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: SD TRIP- Larson Bros Angus   Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:15 am

chocolate cow wrote:
Thanks Mike. Could I get three? I'll send you the $90 today.
will do; three to Rod as well..one to NZ..
Back to top Go down
chocolate cow

PostSubject: Re: SD TRIP- Larson Bros Angus   Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:20 am

Thank You. I'll send you the money today. Thanks again.
Back to top Go down
larkota

PostSubject: Re: SD TRIP- Larson Bros Angus   Mon Nov 14, 2011 4:14 pm

sorry CC I am out of books. should have told you sooner. I'm bad.

Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: SD TRIP- Larson Bros Angus   Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:34 pm

larkota wrote:
11-11-11

I see a cow sired by a Keeney Angus bull topped the Emerick-Wylie Sale...another nipping blow to rare and valuable; thumbs up to just being good...someone actually paid $3200 ...anyone need a herd of them at 2/3 that price ?...no papers of course
awww, but a straw of 707 brought $7000...I`d keep it in the tank hoping it will go up in price to $14,000...when the progeny are on the ground, and you see them in the flesh, the dream is over...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: SD TRIP- Larson Bros Angus   Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:27 pm

Larkota, Have any bulls left? Don't listen to Keeney, he's too busy advertising his home boy program, DV, near the Bear in me
Back to top Go down
Oldtimer

PostSubject: Re: SD TRIP- Larson Bros Angus   Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:02 pm

MKeeney wrote:
larkota wrote:
11-11-11

I see a cow sired by a Keeney Angus bull topped the Emerick-Wylie Sale...another nipping blow to rare and valuable; thumbs up to just being good...someone actually paid $3200 ...anyone need a herd of them at 2/3 that price ?...no papers of course
awww, but a straw of 707 brought $7000...I`d keep it in the tank hoping it will go up in price to $14,000...when the progeny are on the ground, and you see them in the flesh, the dream is over...

But I see where Greg and Cole Creek Ranch made another comment about the "dropout movement" in his current ad for Black Cedar 46P and Cole Creek sires in the Montana Angus News:

Quote :
We also accept the fact that the registered industry needs this type of Angus and are willing to share these genetics.

Apparently not all (like me) believe the registered angus/cattle industry is better off with deletions of a major portion of/ and years of the genetics made unavailable !!! Sad
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: SD TRIP- Larson Bros Angus   Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:21 pm

Stick to the weather Otis, and stay out of stuff like your snid remarks on drop outs, most of the beatniks that bitch about something they can't have wouldn't know what to do with it if they had it, you'd be one of them. DV. ready to call Gurneys Greg Tree Farm and order me some Drop In Custom Maternal Seed Saviors of the Black Ridge Cedar In Rutten Like A Big Oak Tree on A Night of Pending Eclipse Kind of Geeneticks!
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: SD TRIP- Larson Bros Angus   Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:24 pm

Oldtimer wrote:
MKeeney wrote:
larkota wrote:
11-11-11

But I see where Greg and Cole Creek Ranch made another comment about the "dropout movement" in his current ad for Black Cedar 46P and Cole Creek sires in the Montana Angus News:

Quote :
We also accept the fact that the registered industry needs this type of Angus and are willing to share these genetics.

Apparently not all (like me) believe the registered angus/cattle industry is better off with deletions of a major portion of/ and years of the genetics made unavailable !!! Sad
My genetics are readily available; I am very sharing...ask posters and lurkers here...send me a check for $1500 OT, and you`ll see how willing I am to share Smile ...Ask Brian what he paid for that registered, linebred Encore daughter he is flushing...
It`s so funny watching human nature...make something unavailable, that they never gave a damn for when it was plentiful, and they`ll want it so bad they whine...and some spend $7000 on a straw of semen, when I can buy better bulls than that semen would make from Brian for $1500...
what was that old Art Linkletter show? Grown-ups do the damnest things?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: SD TRIP- Larson Bros Angus   Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:36 pm

Otis Timer, I have more "purebred" "registered" interest now then when I was "Available" Being a dropout hurts so bad.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: SD TRIP- Larson Bros Angus   Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:54 pm

Yup Otis you got one right the Angus breed is not better off, but you never look at the bright side of things. The Shoshone strain is a lot better off cheers :cheers:Now they can remain a pure strain and not become a mongrilized composite, of a dog from every town, that seems to be so popular these days. Sleep Sleep
Back to top Go down
larkota

PostSubject: Re: SD TRIP- Larson Bros Angus   Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:07 pm

MKeeney wrote:

lots that did not sell.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: SD TRIP- Larson Bros Angus   Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:23 pm

So Brian Just how many times have you used that 190 number scratch scratch I tried to ask you last night but we were both laughing to hard to ever hear the answer?? cheers
Back to top Go down
larkota

PostSubject: Re: SD TRIP- Larson Bros Angus   Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:14 am

W.T wrote:
So Brian Just how many times have you used that 190 number scratch scratch I tried to ask you last night but we were both laughing to hard to ever hear the answer?? cheers

to make it simple all my heifers were bred to 190 last summer so guess I will just number all the calves next spring 190.
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: SD TRIP- Larson Bros Angus   Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:52 am

Quote :
Quote:

I`ve a little word useage problem with SHARE in that sentence...it`s used as the verb of the sentence, and the closest meaning I found was
To allow someone to use or enjoy something that one possesses: Being in daycare taught the child to share.

yeah, I gotta be more humanitarian in my sales approach; and start sharing my bulls for more money...
Our bull sale sharing will begin at $1500...
we will share this semen with you for $30/straw..
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: SD TRIP- Larson Bros Angus   Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:42 pm

Mark Day wrote:
Bummer.
the sale ain`t over til the KC choir sings...
when you get everyone else satisfied Brian; bring me three bulls when you come down...you know the kind, some frame and length, some muscling a plus...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: SD TRIP- Larson Bros Angus   Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:41 pm

larkota wrote:
W.T wrote:

to make it simple all my heifers were bred to 190 last summer so guess I will just number all the calves next spring 190.

That makes sense that will keep it simple,you could just sit down and practice making that same number until they all looked alike, would sure make things simple and, make for less questions to answer... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: SD TRIP- Larson Bros Angus   Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:04 pm

well, this little poor epd bull got weighed out of Joe`s curiosity; and I happened to nail him exactly by guessing; a trait my father used to profitable advantage; I`m no good at it; just lucky...

he`s a little soggier now; weighed 725 {8 months old} with mom and good old fescue ...somehow, and it seems we`ve tried everything; we just gotta quit raising these heavy calves because Kit says we`re going broke doing it...fricking inputs are just killing us; I bet Joe has spend $30/cow already this year...since he`s still registering calves; 1/3 of the cash cost of production will be extra for papers and epds...
Brian,
I wish I could follow up bad news with some good news, but I can`t...the poorer of the two bull calves by 977 weighed 700; so he`s just pushing us into bankruptcy sooner...I`m at wit`s end on how to stop this erosion of profitability; next step may be to move to a different location where there is less grass to curb these weaning weights before it`s too late...

Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: SD TRIP- Larson Bros Angus   Sat Nov 19, 2011 7:38 am

they`re all giddy in Pharo/coffinboner land this morning about the fool who produced a 625 lb steer and only got a few dollars more for a 625 lb steer than a steer weighing 385 lb that brought $2.20/lb...as if that is the standard going rate for 385 lb steers;;;;yesterday in KY
300-400 lbs
145.00-157.00;
600-700 LBS
lbs 124.75-140.00;
The fool was not the producer with a 625 lb steer; it was the buyer who bought a 385 lb steer for the same price as a 625 steer...
Back to top Go down
Charles

PostSubject: Re: SD TRIP- Larson Bros Angus   Sat Nov 19, 2011 9:09 am

Well, 385 lbs is about the ave weaning weight over at Boners. I operated the chute/scales there last fall. Calves would grade small frame/short. Almost all puds.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: SD TRIP- Larson Bros Angus   

Back to top Go down

SD TRIP- Larson Bros Angus
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 4 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next