Keeney`s Corner

A current and reflective discussion of cattle breeding from outside the registered mainstream

HomeUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

SD TRIP- Larson Bros Angus

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage

PostSubject: Re: SD TRIP- Larson Bros Angus   Fri Oct 07, 2011 9:35 pm

My Dad has been pestering me to find out when the pheasant hunting starts, every since we got back from your place Briann. So when does it start?
Back to top Go down
larkota

PostSubject: Re: SD TRIP- Larson Bros Angus   Sat Oct 08, 2011 12:29 am

Bootheel wrote:
My Dad has been pestering me to find out when the pheasant hunting starts, every since we got back from your place Briann. So when does it start?

starts next Saturday at noon.
game and fish say the bird numbers are down 46% but should still be a good hunt.
Back to top Go down
Mark Day

PostSubject: Re: SD TRIP- Larson Bros Angus   Sat Oct 08, 2011 5:57 am

Is that all you are going to tell us about the bulls? Sad
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: SD TRIP- Larson Bros Angus   Sat Oct 08, 2011 7:35 am

I know this cow is a maternal sister to several of the bulls

Brian,
why did you flush her dam to the old bulls you used instead of continuing on the modern performance track?
Back to top Go down
http://www.keeneyscorner.com
larkota

PostSubject: Re: SD TRIP- Larson Bros Angus   Sun Oct 09, 2011 4:33 pm

Mark Day wrote:
Is that all you are going to tell us about the bulls? Sad

starting price on 35 bulls $1500

Mark what would you like to know.

Back to top Go down
larkota

PostSubject: Re: SD TRIP- Larson Bros Angus   Sun Oct 09, 2011 6:19 pm

MKeeney wrote:
I know this cow is a maternal sister to several of the bulls

Brian,
why did you flush her dam to the old bulls you used instead of continuing on the modern performance track?

We all have to start somewhere and any difference is what we do with the composite after we get it. It would seem to be an advantage to start with something we are familiar with.

the dam that started this project for me was born in 1963.
the sires used, some I had personal knowledge of and the others were used to compare.
for about 30 seconds I think Angus had it about right.
Back to top Go down
Mark Day

PostSubject: Re: SD TRIP- Larson Bros Angus   Sun Oct 09, 2011 8:38 pm

Quote :
Mark what would you like to know.

I enjoy reading sale books to see what a seller's goals are, have they reached their destination or getting close or lost. I still get hooked on looking at the individuals and always will I guess. Anything you want to share would hopefully be an enjoyable and learning experience. Smile Oh, right now I am inclined to turn my own bulls out and a $1500 bull from Nancy, Ky I bought last year. 1 last question. What bulls do you have collected of your own?
Back to top Go down
larkota

PostSubject: Re: SD TRIP- Larson Bros Angus   Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:55 am

no more books here. unless you know the cows as I do, what good would it do you? Larson Bros is going back (not backwards) trying to find the cattle that work best for me. Individuals are not as important, any time I treat an individual costs me money.

exhausted of the bull of the month club. there is nothing so great here that can not fail and nothing so poor that can not make me money.
really hard for me to get excited about this sale, not because they are bad, but because I could use any of them and get along just fine. I think back now how Gary Wall would do footnotes for my bull sale. 2-3 hours out of the year and he could talk about evey bull's dam as if he was doing the daily chores. Not picking on Gary, I think he was very good at doing the job he was paid for, but I believe even Gary got tired of doing footnotes.

What bulls do I have collected?
Larkota Harry
Larkota Bruno 175
Larkota 814Z 011
the most valuable individual was the 190 cow. now with 30 plus daughters she is valued at pound price.

keep asking
Back to top Go down
Mark Day

PostSubject: Re: SD TRIP- Larson Bros Angus   Mon Oct 10, 2011 1:14 pm

I don't like mainstream sale books. I like the free ramblings that flow easily with out needing numbers or individuals to make a point. Who are the bulls by in the sale...your own? Mike? Larry?
Back to top Go down
larkota

PostSubject: Re: SD TRIP- Larson Bros Angus   Mon Oct 10, 2011 5:06 pm

sires of the bulls

13641146 ALAP OF WYE 4 sons
4020202 Lodge 5 sons
13209821 HARB Cincha 3 sons
7187001 Rito 707 of Ideal 836 71 4 sons
6357616 Spur Emulous Master 6 sons used on heifers, think I might keep these
8890783 Early Sunset Emulous 60E 2 sons
6639770 Ankonian Dynamo 3 sons
14041051 Larkota Erica 190 dam

10 mob bred bulls will sell from the breeding of 98 1st and 2nd calf cows. blood was pulled but not turned in, all sires blood typed.

16363652 Larkota Alap 804
16363651 Larkota Alap 817
15346625 Larkota Harry
15526523 DDA Medicine Man 9G
15666740 Oak Lane Eminence 157  
15666741 Oak Lane Baron 387
16038649 JOD Shoshone 14-1917

there was no assistance at birth. the bulls were background on haylage, straw and alfalfa. middle of May back out on grass. they were placed back in feedlot Oct 1st so they would get use to me.

Back to top Go down
Mark Day

PostSubject: Re: SD TRIP- Larson Bros Angus   Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:51 pm

Brian,

Congrats on doing what you want to do and not just following other folks. That is a nice collection of semen you have there to be using. I hope you get a lot more than your stated starting bid as I would expect you have way more than that in them. Even though I think I have seen your 14-1917 bull I can't remember anything about him. Typical for me after a few hours riding with Mike.If you get time would enjoy seeing some pictures of your creations illustrating maybe the differences or similarities in the sires used as I am guessing many are flushmates?
Back to top Go down
larkota

PostSubject: Re: SD TRIP- Larson Bros Angus   Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:57 am

heading to Puk today will try and get some pictures of the sisters.
Back to top Go down
Mark Day

PostSubject: Re: SD TRIP- Larson Bros Angus   Tue Oct 11, 2011 1:38 pm

I guess I should add too Brian that I have always thought of you as a young person having not met you that I can remember so when you say you know more about old bulls than anything else it makes me think you really are not young or you need to get out more. In reality there are no new genetics, just new combinations through filters that may or may not allow traits that the breeder wants in a package that suggests new and improved. Looking forward to your pictures.
Back to top Go down
larkota

PostSubject: Re: SD TRIP- Larson Bros Angus   Tue Oct 11, 2011 5:18 pm

Mark Day wrote:
Brian,

Congrats on doing what you want to do and not just following other folks. That is a nice collection of semen you have there to be using. I hope you get a lot more than your stated starting bid as I would expect you have way more than that in them. Even though I think I have seen your 14-1917 bull I can't remember anything about him. Typical for me after a few hours riding with Mike.If you get time would enjoy seeing some pictures of your creations illustrating maybe the differences or similarities in the sires used as I am guessing many are flushmates?

Mark I did this for the litter of heifers I got, and a chance to pick a sire group to put back on them.
steers sold 7-6-11 salebarn wt of 935 lbs. at $1.31 or $1225 per head. now with another 127 days on grass why should I expect more?

A man's only as old as the woman he feels. Groucho Marx

dad bought first reg. cows in 1962. bought my first Bob of K daughter at Ankony in 1972 at the age of 12. got the chance to screw things up starting in 1986. dad retired in 1994, moved 120 miles away, dont think he liked what I was doing. sold a $31,000 bull in 2007, dad really proud of me now. bull had a short pecker, Parker Fredricks no longer friendly. got bull back plus his $15,000 mother, ouch. in 2008 tried to commit suicide with a barn door, figured AI'ing was out of the question for that year went looking for bulls, while on a morphine drip bought 14-1917 sight unseen, thinking I gave $1500 for him and a couple from Scott S. can honestly say now that was the best way to slow me down. lots more tales but will save for later.
I really dont care if I sell bulls or not. if you like the bulls will have them priced right, if not you will know where not to stop.

pretty dam simple
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: SD TRIP- Larson Bros Angus   Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:41 pm

Beautiful!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: SD TRIP- Larson Bros Angus   Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:20 pm

I like your stories Briann, and as a very important person here, I request you tell more. It is your assignment for the remainder of year. We will renegotiate your contract on the Corner after the New Year. Yes, I have the power to hand out assignments, give demerits, and such. Sometimes it goes to my head.

Question...Did you flush the cow upon getting her back? If no, then you are not a registurd breeder.

If yes, good for you, and move on.

Bootheel, just a dumbass Southernor of nondescript genetic background

Back to top Go down
Mark Day

PostSubject: Re: SD TRIP- Larson Bros Angus   Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:22 am

Good stories Brian. Sounds like you started off big time compared to me. I was also 12 when I got my first animal only mine did not come from Ankony although I did purchase an Ankony bred cow (actually had been a donor there) years later from a basket company. My first cow came my way from my Grandfather for taking care of the farm for a couple weeks winter of '78 while he was in the hospital from a heart attack and my Dad was also in hospital recovering from bloodclots. Here was her reg # 9040400. Nice job on those steer prices. You can't expect any more than that.
Back to top Go down
larkota

PostSubject: Re: SD TRIP- Larson Bros Angus   Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:06 am

Bootheel wrote:
I like your stories Briann, and as a very important person here, I request you tell more. It is your assignment for the remainder of year. We will renegotiate your contract on the Corner after the New Year. Yes, I have the power to hand out assignments, give demerits, and such. Sometimes it goes to my head.

Question...Did you flush the cow upon getting her back? If no, then you are not a registurd breeder.

If yes, good for you, and move on.

Bootheel, just a dumbass Southernor of nondescript genetic background

heck NO, now the rest of the story

got Short Perker back. after taking off a couple hundred lbs of fat he grew large enough to start breeding cows here. my wife and I started making smut movies. I the director and she the camera man. them movies are not so easy to make, getting that angel shot proved harder then one might think. So any how, Troy and Parker sent the bull to Texas were he came down with a case of Tric. now I had another mess to clear up as they were blaming me for that also. long story short in our settlement they lb'ed out Short Perker and I returned $15,500, I got the cow and 2 flush sisters to Short Perker, but with that came many sleepless nites.

now grandma, mother, 2 sister, and 1 daughter are wondering the pastures back to just being cows.

Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: SD TRIP- Larson Bros Angus   Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:37 pm

putting some pictures up for Brian...he can add commentary as he sees fit; or in response to Mark`s questions Smile ...mk

first question is from me...are all these bulls pictured out of the same cow?
Back to top Go down
Mark Day

PostSubject: Re: SD TRIP- Larson Bros Angus   Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:32 pm

Decent enough looking rascals Smile , how old are they? If that is the top sort and knowing that much are the result of ET work, could we learn just as much from the bottom sort?
Back to top Go down
larkota

PostSubject: Re: SD TRIP- Larson Bros Angus   Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:45 am

thanks for the help Mike. took team work just to get them on photobucket.
blue tags are all the ET bulls out of the 190 cow
yellow tags are the mob bred bulls
long shed in back drop was a 20 pen calving barn, with indoor salebarn, would pen bulls along side of barn.
DONT OPEN door on left hand side, is wicked with a 50mph south wind.
bulls are in the sale pen, no clipping.
birth date March 18 to April 2, 2010

bulls looked and did better on grass, easier to walk around in drylot.
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: SD TRIP- Larson Bros Angus   Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:50 am

some of the female mates to Brian`s bulls...

on the wrong side of the sun, and contrary ole Photobucket would not let me edit...

nice

not the popular 004; a better 004 Smile

anything I got here we can make a $50,000 trade on for this heifer?

get these heifers up and feed`em man...oh that`s right, TB doesn`t do your sale anymore Smile
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: SD TRIP- Larson Bros Angus   Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:52 am

is DY short for Dynamo?
Back to top Go down
larkota

PostSubject: Re: SD TRIP- Larson Bros Angus   Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:47 am

MKeeney wrote:
is DY short for Dynamo?

thanks Mike, one of these days need to figure out how to paste pictures myself. but nice having you proof them first.

yes DY stands for Dynamo. could trade her for a 16 year old cow.

Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: SD TRIP- Larson Bros Angus   Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:53 am

larkota wrote:
MKeeney wrote:
is DY short for Dynamo?

thanks Mike, one of these days need to figure out how to paste pictures myself. but nice having you proof them first.

yes DY stands for Dynamo. could trade her for a 16 year old cow.

well, if we did that, I would want the trade to be $100,00 Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: SD TRIP- Larson Bros Angus   

Back to top Go down

SD TRIP- Larson Bros Angus
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next