Keeney`s Corner

A current and reflective discussion of cattle breeding from outside the registered mainstream

HomeUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

SD TRIP- Larson Bros Angus

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
EddieM

PostSubject: Re: SD TRIP- Larson Bros Angus   Sat Nov 19, 2011 10:09 am

Quote :
Well, 385 lbs is about the ave weaning weight over at Boners. I operated the chute/scales there last fall. Calves would grade small frame/short. Almost all puds.

Charles, you don't get it. Those low milk cows are producing calves with targeted weights to be the most profitable! And just think how low the WWs will be in a couple of more years when he keeps culling off the top 50%. Might be cheaper just to start with goats or sheep if that is where you're headed with your herd's future production levels!
Back to top Go down
Charles

PostSubject: Re: SD TRIP- Larson Bros Angus   Sat Nov 19, 2011 1:23 pm

I "get it" well enough, Eddie. A couple more years of the continued direction there will be nothing to sell from there.........or at least nothing that is worth anything commerically. (The cattle might have big brown eyes and fly resistance or something as a selling point) Just a good place to hide/bury income from his 148 page tax return.
Back to top Go down
larkota

PostSubject: Re: SD TRIP- Larson Bros Angus   Sat Nov 19, 2011 3:42 pm

MKeeney wrote:
well, this little poor epd bull got weighed out of Joe`s curiosity; and I happened to nail him exactly by guessing; a trait my father used to profitable advantage; I`m no good at it; just lucky...

he`s a little soggier now; weighed 725 {8 months old} with mom and good old fescue ...somehow, and it seems we`ve tried everything; we just gotta quit raising these heavy calves because Kit says we`re going broke doing it...fricking inputs are just killing us; I bet Joe has spend $30/cow already this year...since he`s still registering calves; 1/3 of the cash cost of production will be extra for papers and epds...
Brian,
I wish I could follow up bad news with some good news, but I can`t...the poorer of the two bull calves by 977 weighed 700; so he`s just pushing us into bankruptcy sooner...I`m at wit`s end on how to stop this erosion of profitability; next step may be to move to a different location where there is less grass to curb these weaning weights before it`s too late...

that calf looks dam good to me. hope I have 30 plus just like him next year. Mike you make it to easy for us slow thinkers.
Back to top Go down
EddieM

PostSubject: Re: SD TRIP- Larson Bros Angus   Sat Nov 19, 2011 5:52 pm

Quote :
I "get it" well enough, Eddie. A couple more years of the continued direction there will be nothing to sell from there.........or at least nothing that is worth anything commerically. (The cattle might have big brown eyes and fly resistance or something as a selling point) Just a good place to hide/bury income from his 148 page tax return.

Only time will tell if health, new business interests, family or some other reason causes a need to sell like so many other folks who chase fame and fortune in the desire to be well known in the cattle breeding industry. Surely it will never be because the cattle were bred wrong until there was no other choice. Takes all kinds.
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: SD TRIP- Larson Bros Angus   Sat Nov 19, 2011 9:32 pm

larkota wrote:
MKeeney wrote:
well, this little poor epd bull got weighed out of Joe`s curiosity; and I happened to nail him exactly by guessing; a trait my father used to profitable advantage; I`m no good at it; just lucky...

he`s a little soggier now; weighed 725 {8 months old} with mom and good old fescue ...somehow, and it seems we`ve tried everything; we just gotta quit raising these heavy calves because Kit says we`re going broke doing it...fricking inputs are just killing us; I bet Joe has spend $30/cow already this year...since he`s still registering calves; 1/3 of the cash cost of production will be extra for papers and epds...
Brian,
I wish I could follow up bad news with some good news, but I can`t...the poorer of the two bull calves by 977 weighed 700; so he`s just pushing us into bankruptcy sooner...I`m at wit`s end on how to stop this erosion of profitability; next step may be to move to a different location where there is less grass to curb these weaning weights before it`s too late...

that calf looks dam good to me. hope I have 30 plus just like him next year. Mike you make it to easy for us slow thinkers.
it`s the BobH +Plan...you put the boys with the girls and make the little ones... + nature blesses you with beautiful grass...
Back to top Go down
http://www.keeneyscorner.com

PostSubject: Re: SD TRIP- Larson Bros Angus   Sat Nov 19, 2011 9:47 pm

MKeeney wrote:

Brian,

I have a difficult time discerning whether we are advocates of smaller, larger, or more medium cows anymore. Do 725lb weaning weight bulls make smaller, larger, or more medium cows? Then again, maybe we need to define what a small, large and medium cow is.

Bootheel, medium rare or half baked
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: SD TRIP- Larson Bros Angus   Sat Nov 19, 2011 9:54 pm

Bootheel wrote:
MKeeney wrote:

Brian,

I have a difficult time discerning whether we are advocates of smaller, larger, or more medium cows anymore. Do 725lb weaning weight bulls make smaller, larger, or more medium cows? Then again, maybe we need to define what a small, large and medium cow is.

Bootheel, medium rare or half baked
5 frame cows probably...and how heavy will depend on grass ...1300 lb finish steer weight;1300 lb cows...a lot of that 725 lb is grass and flesh ...not a calf for a stocker program...
Back to top Go down
Charles

PostSubject: Re: SD TRIP- Larson Bros Angus   Sat Nov 19, 2011 11:33 pm

That bull calf is just about right for the needs of commercial cattlemen using Angus genetics. I hope to have a pile of those type calves in a couple of years.

Charles who sometimes wears penny loafers while driving Minneapolis Molines chopping corn and baling hay so cattle don't starve during the winter.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: SD TRIP- Larson Bros Angus   Sun Nov 20, 2011 6:51 am

Charles wrote:
That bull calf is just about right for the needs of commercial cattlemen using Angus genetics. I hope to have a pile of those type calves in a couple of years.

Charles who sometimes wears penny loafers while driving Minneapolis Molines chopping corn and baling hay so cattle don't starve during the winter.

While painted blue wearing nothing else.
Back to top Go down
Charles

PostSubject: Re: SD TRIP- Larson Bros Angus   Sun Nov 20, 2011 8:37 am

Right on Gregory, right on.............I might have a hat on.....I like to wear hats.
Back to top Go down
larkota

PostSubject: Re: SD TRIP- Larson Bros Angus   Mon Nov 21, 2011 9:59 am

back to using Larkota Angus

fearing the public would think Jim and I were brothers
Back to top Go down
Mark Day

PostSubject: Re: SD TRIP- Larson Bros Angus   Mon Nov 21, 2011 12:42 pm

I will help you out with that. If you were to have offered a group of females in your sale that you would have been mates to the bulls, what would have happened?
Back to top Go down
df

PostSubject: Re: SD TRIP- Larson Bros Angus   Sat May 26, 2012 12:35 pm

Larkota, what is your opinion of Ankonian Dynamo?
Back to top Go down
larkota

PostSubject: Re: SD TRIP- Larson Bros Angus   Sat May 26, 2012 1:23 pm

of the bull just what I have read, how they were to make good cows.
dad had some back in the late 70's. seemed to make cows that would last, and take care of themself. back then everything was bred Emulous here.

for me, to soon to tell much, 4 first calf heifers calved with no problems.
2 fell into fall program, have to much into them to lb out just yet. get a second chance to fail. all full sisters.

Back to top Go down
df

PostSubject: Re: SD TRIP- Larson Bros Angus   Sat May 26, 2012 1:49 pm

What do you think of these "older" bulls? Do any seem to fall out while others are fitting your ideal?

Back to top Go down
larkota

PostSubject: Re: SD TRIP- Larson Bros Angus   Sun May 27, 2012 10:33 am

df wrote:
What do you think of these "older" bulls? Do any seem to fall out while others are fitting your ideal?

using older bulls for promotion is a joke. have seen some high $$ Lodge of Wye sons sell but here they were $1800 bulls. why? because we had 5 good enough not just 1 great one.
once asked LL about using the Great Old Bulls and he asked me "Why so you can make the same mistakes over." I think about that often, my answer today is I'll take a road less traveled this time.

as for weaning growth, did not give up anything. if anything the 60E's are maturing into larger framed cattle then I would like.
trying to keep a open mind and let them show me the ideal type.
not working with older bulls but younger heifers. the reason I used older Emulous and Wye bulls is the same reason I used MK's or Kents, they were given the option to pass or fail. look at how many years of fixing of types that has been done from Wye to LL to Mike to me, or Corbins to Kent to me. sometimes I fill like a thief for robbing all their years of work. now I just need to let them pass or fail in my enviroment and management and make them MINE.
Back to top Go down
larkota

PostSubject: Re: SD TRIP- Larson Bros Angus   Sun May 27, 2012 10:53 am

steers sold 7-6-11 salebarn wt of 935 lbs. at $131 or $1225 per head.

started down a road less traveled in 2008.

steers sold 5-16-12 on the truck wt of 924 lbs. at $134.60 or $1243 per head.

is it breeding or management?
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: SD TRIP- Larson Bros Angus   Sun Aug 26, 2012 10:24 pm

Brian,
Would you let me keep this cow, a daughter of the flush cow I gave you, {only to be repaid thrice fold with your work and favors}, a couple of years longer? I want to get some progeny before you add her to the gene pool you have created from her mother? plus I have some unfinished demonstrating to do with that Simmy calf following her...but I want those two close bred maternal half sibs to use by 2014; send them down anytime though, you don`t have to feed them Smile ...let`s reverse the registered business way; I want $800 for my cow, and I want your two bulls for $400...you can use this picture anytime; it should be worth more than the cow for promotion purposes Smile

Model A, gp 1

Back to top Go down
larkota

PostSubject: Re: SD TRIP- Larson Bros Angus   Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:08 am

MKeeney wrote:
Brian,
Would you let me keep this cow, a daughter of the flush cow I gave you, {only to be repaid thrice fold with your work and favors}, a couple of years longer? I want to get some progeny before you add her to the gene pool you have created from her mother? plus I have some unfinished demonstrating to do with that Simmy calf following her...but I want those two close bred maternal half sibs to use by 2014; send them down anytime though, you don`t have to feed them Smile ...let`s reverse the registered business way; I want $800 for my cow, and I want your two bulls for $400...you can use this picture anytime; it should be worth more than the cow for promotion purposes Smile

Model A, gp 1

today I recieved my AARP card, can I use the 10% senior discount on her?? on the 2 close bred bull calves. you might be off a bit on the weight, I see at the local auction barn black steer calves at 500 lbs are bringing $1.60, might make more if I just cut them.
buy low, sell high. tip I got from my broker.

besides got 7 half sisters to her, and if they turn out anything like yours well hell just keep her there and we can trade offspring.

with old age comes wisdom still waiting for mine to kick in. been thinking in Tru-Line which is worth more the cow or the bull? have my thoughts but afraid to share as Bootheel might kick me for being a dumbass.

Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: SD TRIP- Larson Bros Angus   Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:40 pm

Tom D wrote:
Happy Birthday Dumbass.

TD
Brian,
if the boot don`t get you, the dystra will...
Happy Birthday my good friend...isn`t it strange the turns life takes just because you call about a little puny inbred cow...I doubt you are making more money, but I sure believe you are having more fun... cheers
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: SD TRIP- Larson Bros Angus   Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:50 pm

Well Brainn HAPPY BIRTHDAY affraid affraid Congragulations on making the AARP sure makes me feel young........ Knowing that they sent you the flyers before i got them. Laughing This was going to be special but i couldnt find a photo to play with.................. So you got lucky this time but my memory is like a beartrap and just wait till 2013. Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
Danny Miller

PostSubject: Re: SD TRIP- Larson Bros Angus   Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:47 pm

Happy birthday Brian!! Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.jmsvictordomino.com
Kent Powell

PostSubject: Re: SD TRIP- Larson Bros Angus   Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:43 pm

Happy Birthday Briann,

Stay away from AARP, take the senior discount!
Back to top Go down
http://powellangus.com
larkota

PostSubject: Re: SD TRIP- Larson Bros Angus   Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:52 pm

thanks guys

now I have to take the wife out to supper. thought I was the one to have a day off Rolling Eyes Very Happy
Back to top Go down
R V

PostSubject: Re: SD TRIP- Larson Bros Angus   Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:53 pm

Happy birthday Briann! cheers
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: SD TRIP- Larson Bros Angus   

Back to top Go down

SD TRIP- Larson Bros Angus
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 5 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next