Keeney`s Corner

A current and reflective discussion of cattle breeding from outside the registered mainstream

HomeUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

A Reflective Post

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
RobertMac

PostSubject: Re: A Reflective Post   Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:02 am

Grassfarmer wrote:
RobertMac wrote:
The flawed conclusion is that a breed developed in England should be raised in an environment best suited for bos indicus...that is "out of balance" endocrine system.

Thats another flawed conclusion - they were "developed" in Scotland Wink
I guess I just failed my AAA test. Embarassed
Back to top Go down
EddieM

PostSubject: Re: A Reflective Post   Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:19 am

Quote :
The flawed conclusion is that a breed developed in England should be raised in an environment best suited for bos indicus...that is "out of balance" endocrine system.

Does that mean we need to getting back on the boat and giving the USA back to the original folks, too? Any chance to climatize?
Back to top Go down
RobertMac

PostSubject: Re: A Reflective Post   Fri Jun 17, 2011 2:14 pm

It's 1:00pm in the South...do you know where your black cattle are????
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: A Reflective Post   Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:04 pm

Dylan Biggs wrote:
DF, i am in no position to be specific about which hormones may be out of balance. No doubt though the women I see on occasion who need to shave have a different balance than those that exude glowing natural femininity. Or the men who have the voice of a woman, or the women who have the voice of a man. Or like Mike says the cow that sheds way slower or fails to re breed, or the bull that looks flat and steer like. All expressions of a different balance and more or less suited to specific functions.
a little tidbit I found...decided to put it here, because this thread deserves more reading and posting...
1) Identifying and culling open heifers early will remove sub-fertile females from the herd. Lifetime cow studies from Montana indicated that properly developed heifers that were exposed to fertile bulls, but DID NOT become pregnant were often sub-fertile compared to the heifers that did conceive. In fact, when the heifers that failed to breed in the first breeding season were followed throughout their lifetimes, they averaged a 55% yearly calf crop. Despite the fact that reproduction is not a highly heritable trait, it also makes sense to remove this genetic material from the herd so as to not proliferate females that are difficult to get bred.
Back to top Go down
http://www.keeneyscorner.com
Mean Spirit

PostSubject: Re: A Reflective Post   Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:18 pm

I have a heifer that was once my favorite-- she'll be two on August 1, exposed to a fertile bull since November (her dear father). Still open by my palpation in May, her contemporaries (and paternal sibs) are now starting to spring a little bit. I planned to cull her, but she made me mad, so I wailed on her with a T-post. That'll teach her to be open in my herd.
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: A Reflective Post   Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:28 pm

RobertMac wrote:

maybe it`s not a flawed conclusion, but a hen/egg question...so the slick haired cows had calves that were heavier...did the slick hair cause the calves to be heavier, or was the slick hair a result of better functioning cows?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A Reflective Post   Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:33 pm

MKeeney wrote:
RobertMac wrote:

maybe it`s not a flawed conclusion, but a hen/egg question...so the slick haired cows had calves that were heavier...did the slick hair cause the calves to be heavier, or was the slick hair a result of better functioning cows?

Some have hair issues. Some have other underlying issues resulting in hair issues. I think there is a difference, sometimes at least. Incidently I hit myself in the head, way before these other issues came about, prophetic maybe. I like to think so.
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: A Reflective Post   Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:39 pm

MKeeney wrote:
Dylan Biggs wrote:
DF, i am in no position to be specific about which hormones may be out of balance. No doubt though the women I see on occasion who need to shave have a different balance than those that exude glowing natural femininity. Or the men who have the voice of a woman, or the women who have the voice of a man. Or like Mike says the cow that sheds way slower or fails to re breed, or the bull that looks flat and steer like. All expressions of a different balance and more or less suited to specific functions.
a little tidbit I found...decided to put it here, because this thread deserves more reading and posting...
1) Identifying and culling open heifers early will remove sub-fertile females from the herd. Lifetime cow studies from Montana indicated that properly developed heifers that were exposed to fertile bulls, but DID NOT become pregnant were often sub-fertile compared to the heifers that did conceive. In fact, when the heifers that failed to breed in the first breeding season were followed throughout their lifetimes, they averaged a 55% yearly calf crop. Despite the fact that reproduction is not a highly heritable trait, it also makes sense to remove this genetic material from the herd so as to not proliferate females that are difficult to get bred.

I have read something to this effect "the cycling heifer failing to breed is a fertility issue, the open cow is an adaptability issue"
Back to top Go down
PatB

PostSubject: Re: A Reflective Post   Thu Jun 23, 2011 7:13 am

MKeeney wrote:
MKeeney wrote:
Dylan Biggs wrote:

I have read something to this effect "the cycling heifer failing to breed is a fertility issue, the open cow is an adaptability issue"

Does it matter if it is a fertility issue or an adaptability issue if an animal is open at preg check time either way their will be no calf to sell in the next year? Sell the opens and learn to like the ones that are carrying a calf.
Back to top Go down
Mean Spirit

PostSubject: Re: A Reflective Post   Thu Jun 23, 2011 7:56 am

I'd say it matters Pat. Adaptability in cows to me means something about nutrition, or fleshing, or partitioning of energy, or something like that, whether it's related to capacity, hair shedding, or whatever. Maybe you change her environment and she's a good cow. The cycling heifer failing to breed, like my heifer that I hit with t post to teach a lesson, no amount of nutritional advantage is going to help her. She's just bad, all over the world bad, and I made sure she knew it.

I was going to finish this by pointing out how it made some difference for selection purposes, but I guess it doesn't. So I'd say maybe you're right. Doesn't matter a lot--- you'd surely not want a whole lot of either group hanging around.
Back to top Go down
df

PostSubject: Re: A Reflective Post   Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:19 am

MKeeney wrote:
RobertMac wrote:

Gosh MK, are you turning into a scientist? Very Happy

Is it worth spending any (tax payer) money on this question?
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: A Reflective Post   Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:00 pm

df wrote:
MKeeney wrote:
RobertMac wrote:

Gosh MK, are you turning into a scientist? Very Happy

Is it worth spending any (tax payer) money on this question?

Gosh MK, are you turning into a scientist?
all cattle breeders are researchers...doesn`t that make me a scientist?

Is it worth spending any (tax payer) money on this question
not unless the taxpayer funded scientists can reach valid conclusions...which they didn`t quite get done here...
Back to top Go down
df

PostSubject: Re: A Reflective Post   Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:35 pm

What is your conclusion to the poster?
Back to top Go down
RobertMac

PostSubject: Re: A Reflective Post   Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:55 pm

MKeeney wrote:
RobertMac wrote:

Yes, better functioning endocrine system from genes that are a better match to the prevailing environment.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A Reflective Post   

Back to top Go down

A Reflective Post
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3