Keeney`s Corner

A current and reflective discussion of cattle breeding from outside the registered mainstream

HomeUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

OAK LANE PRINCE ENCORE 258

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
OAK LANE FARM

PostSubject: OAK LANE PRINCE ENCORE 258   Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:41 am

Back to top Go down
chocolate cow

PostSubject: Re: OAK LANE PRINCE ENCORE 258   Fri Jun 10, 2011 4:30 pm

Animals are reliable, many full of love, true in their affections, predictable in their actions, grateful and loyal. Difficult standards for people to live up to.

Alfred A. Montapert
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: OAK LANE PRINCE ENCORE 258   Fri Jun 10, 2011 4:56 pm

Scott`s bull picture with the only comment being his registered name prompted me to take notice of other P priorities pertinent to the registered business I left out...
PAPERS... the always absolute priority of the registered breeder...
Promotion...important to breed what has been promoted...
Pretty Pictures of Production stock...God forbid talk of nubbin parent stock...and crossing {heresy}
Back to top Go down
http://www.keeneyscorner.com

PostSubject: Re: OAK LANE PRINCE ENCORE 258   Fri Jun 10, 2011 6:32 pm

chocolate cow wrote:
Animals are reliable, many full of love, true in their affections, predictable in their actions, grateful and loyal. Difficult standards for people to live up to.

Beautiful quote choc cow. Erica & I were just talking about how relieved the animals are after long periods of rough weather, lately being day after day after day of cloud filled, rainy cold. Now on a sunny day you can hear them releasing a sigh of relief. It's the one thing that probably doesn't get mentioned enough which is why do we do what we do (we in animal agriculture). For many of us it has to do with implanting ourselves in the day to day presence of animals of all varieties. For Erica and I it's the essence of why we do what we do. Reading the minds of animals, studying their actions, interpreting their directives, one thing I think a lot about is how some people "move" cattle. By this I mean they get behind them and they shove them along like a flock of folding chairs. Often it looks like a flock of folding chairs because their actions are described like this. Grab one, push it up, set it down, go back, grab one, push it forward, set it down. Mission oriented people have the biggest tendency to move cattle this way. All they can see is the end goal, in other words getting the animals to the destination and crossing it off the list. There is another way and it has a great deal to do with your quote and you have to converse with cattle in order to move them effectively and still have a quality day for both animal and man. If we're trying to move a group of cows during breeding season our main culprits are the bulls that are trying to move them back. Cattle like to be nudged from the side. But I'm way off track from where I started.

The pictured cow has a story. So as an observer it's not that hard to interpret what's on her mind. It's the story that contains a reflective and futuristic view of cattle breeding from outside the registered mainstream.

Dennis Voss in the vicinity of grass greener than I've ever seen it
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: OAK LANE PRINCE ENCORE 258   Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:25 pm

1129????
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: OAK LANE PRINCE ENCORE 258   Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:29 pm

Nice bull Scott. People, program, phenotype,pedigree. He's the whole package.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: OAK LANE PRINCE ENCORE 258   Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:43 pm

Horse Butte 6936 of 9136. His story would be, it's high time I was turned out, but you know he is no help at all when I'm calving in a foot of snow. Again, People, Program, Phenotype, Pedigree, Purity, perfomance, and Pasture (he's in mine).

Jack, in the vicinity of a bunch of bulls who think it's time to go.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: OAK LANE PRINCE ENCORE 258   Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:30 pm

Herders, bull herders, bulls that herd the cows.....a pain in the rear. Usually here, they get over it by the time they grow up, into big boys. Mike has failed to nurture maturity, acceptable social behavior, and energy conservation into Sir Sniffy. I had to strap some horns onto him this week when I got the girls up. The next time he tried to guard a gate, he got two spotted dogs eating his lunch, once he tried it again I bulldogged him, by his strap on's, dang near broke his neck, but it's Mr. Bootheel now, when he sees me comin'. Poor ol' Sam, he's just happy to be with the girls and follow them around, glad to be away from his archnemisist. Sniffy is a fair bit more talkitive, worldy, learned, I tell you, me an him get to talkin' and next thing you know the chuck bell is ringing.

I had a yearling bull one time that wouldn't let the cows get watered up for nothing. He'd push 'em through the fence, scream, bellar, and screw. It drove me nuts. Sold him, with a disclaimer. The guy called me back a few years later, wanting another just like him. I guess he never had a cow "out" the whole time he had him...loved it....fascinated by his behavior. It is also another reason I like bigger herds.....get a hundred or so cows on the move good, and the bulls dont have a chance. But if they only have a handfull of cows, they can sure play hell with you. Its all good though for me, keeps the dogs and the fence crew in good working order.

Great pictures and stories Jack, Dennis, and Scott....enjoyed 'em

Bootheel.....wore out, substitute T-ball coach, signing off.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: OAK LANE PRINCE ENCORE 258   Sat Jun 11, 2011 8:07 am

Dennis, she sure is a beauty. A model of what a range cow should be. I liked her even better in person but I think she might not be quite as easy to see with the big mob of people coming at her in Aug. Imagine what a whole herd of her could do in a truline system.

Ben Loyning in the vicinity of a big batch of singed calves.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: OAK LANE PRINCE ENCORE 258   Sat Jun 11, 2011 8:16 am

Won't be any cows to see Ben, just rocks, and hamburger from her sons. DV, branding thin air
Back to top Go down
Tom D
Admin

PostSubject: Re: OAK LANE PRINCE ENCORE 258   Sat Jun 11, 2011 11:16 am

Dennis Voss wrote:
Won't be any cows to see Ben, just rocks, and hamburger from her sons. DV, branding thin air

Can't be any worse than the last time I went to Montana on a Geology field trip. As far as restaurants go, I recommend the Pizza Hut in Lewistown. They deliver to the hospital.
Back to top Go down
Gus

PostSubject: Re: OAK LANE PRINCE ENCORE 258   Tue Jun 14, 2011 2:08 am

Very nice
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: OAK LANE PRINCE ENCORE 258   

Back to top Go down

OAK LANE PRINCE ENCORE 258
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1