Keeney`s Corner

A current and reflective discussion of cattle breeding from outside the registered mainstream

HomeUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Rank the seven P`s in selection importance

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage

PostSubject: Re: Rank the seven P`s in selection importance   Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:51 pm

W.T wrote:
MKeeney wrote:
RobertMac wrote:
Program/people...both have to be right and long term
Pedigree/purity...closed herd with one brand...again, long term
Phenotype...shouldn't be to hard if the rest is right
Performance...should be there if the rest is right
Profile...established by longevity of program
Defects...eliminated by longevity of program

As a conception to consumer producer, priority would be on maternal
Making meat...enough will have to be good enough

When I started my foundation, I bought a flush with the sire being a very well muscled "outlier"...in retrospect, may have set me back on maternals, but I don't have a carcass problem.

well, one thing for pretty sure, if maternal is right, the meat will be pretty darn good...especially the marbling side of the carcass

15 yrs ago a very well respected western cattle men and AI rep, Wrote a article in a local ranchers magazine and he stated that. when you were choosing bulls you had to figure that if your cows were only able to produce a steer that would only make select, you needed a bull that would be able to produce prime in order to produce a marketable product. I thought about that for a while and asked, was not a good Angus cow quite capable of producing a choice avg carcass. He had no answer then and still has no answer. Yes is my answer a good maternal Angus cow red or black is quite capable of producing a choice Avg Grade. And the rest is just BS.

Well after re reading this I colored it Green so it was the same color of the S--T on my face. Meant to say they will avg A choice grade. oh well crow can be eaten if we have a big enough throat to swallow. But it tastes like Shit!
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Rank the seven P`s in selection importance   Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:22 am

awwww WT, a very mild mistake compared to the usual registered exagggerations told as truth...funny how averaging choice; and average choice are two different things...
Back to top Go down
http://www.keeneyscorner.com
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Rank the seven P`s in selection importance   Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:23 am

ok, most everyone ranks the PROGRAM at or near the top of their selection priorities...then what PERFORMANCE level best represents the program; the average bull, or the outlier of the PROGRAM?
Back to top Go down
http://www.keeneyscorner.com
RobertMac

PostSubject: Re: Rank the seven P`s in selection importance   Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:26 am

The "adequate" bull out of the low input, functional cow line with the most longevity.
That is as much or more a question than a statement...or a guess.
If we are going to let environment dictate performance level, don't we need to stay out of the way as much as possible?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Rank the seven P`s in selection importance   Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:43 am

There is choice+ and choice- WT so there must be choice ave too. Or should I say choice optimum or choice normal since ave is a bad word. Very Happy

Not sure what you are asking Mike. Thats why performance means so little to me because to talk performance without knowing the management means nothing to me.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Rank the seven P`s in selection importance   Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:02 pm

Jack McNamee wrote:
There is choice+ and choice- WT so there must be choice ave too. Or should I say choice optimum or choice normal since ave is a bad word. Very Happy

Not sure what you are asking Mike. Thats why performance means so little to me because to talk performance without knowing the management means nothing to me.

Let me wipe my face first.
Back to top Go down
Dylan Biggs

PostSubject: Re: Rank the seven P`s in selection importance   Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:57 pm

Bootheel wrote:
All kinds of lurkerdom inspired conversation out there. Just got through reading the stupidity of Longhorns in heifer development program. Why they never, ever, seldom, hardly pull a calf, and only then to make her breed better, probably would have had them on their own....blah, blah Very Happy sounds so familar.

Laughing Laughing Seldom, hardly ever, almost never, on the odd occasion, once in a while, rarely, sometimes, the other day, doesn't hurt to help, where are you reading all this blah, blah blah, lbah, blah blah blah. Very Happy Very Happy Were you lurking or did you set em straight ie bash your head against the wall repeatedly, pain, what a rush! Cool
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Rank the seven P`s in selection importance   Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:35 pm

Dylan Biggs wrote:
Bootheel wrote:
All kinds of lurkerdom inspired conversation out there. Just got through reading the stupidity of Longhorns in heifer development program. Why they never, ever, seldom, hardly pull a calf, and only then to make her breed better, probably would have had them on their own....blah, blah Very Happy sounds so familar.

Laughing Laughing Seldom, hardly ever, almost never, on the odd occasion, once in a while, rarely, sometimes, the other day, doesn't hurt to help, where are you reading all this blah, blah blah, lbah, blah blah blah. Very Happy Very Happy Were you lurking or did you set em straight ie bash your head against the wall repeatedly, pain, what a rush! Cool

Ah, you been there too. I don't have the stamina to have a shot at every bar I drive by, just stick my head in the door and test the atmosphere from time to time. I seen ya in there with a pool cue, jousting a midget, and a maiden with a team of oxen, trying to pull out a sire summary, lodged between the ears of an octogenarian.

Way too much diversity for me, I'm just not that cultured. Suspect
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Rank the seven P`s in selection importance   

Back to top Go down

Rank the seven P`s in selection importance
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3