Keeney`s Corner

A current and reflective discussion of cattle breeding from outside the registered mainstream

HomeUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Bootheel here is my introduction

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
flyingS

PostSubject: Bootheel here is my introduction   Mon Oct 04, 2010 12:52 am

Boot asked me to give a little info on myself so here it goes. Boot feel free to ad on if you like. Ill try to keep it short.
I was born and raised on a conventional ranch in the Sandhills about 25 miles north of Whitman,NE. My Dad lost his job when I was in the 8th grade and we moved to town permanently. While in highschool I worked on several ranches as well as operated a custom haying and fenceing business with my brothers. I went to college to become a diesel mechanic. After finishing there I worked for about 18 months and decided to come back to the Hills and go to work for my dad. The family thing did not work out, I was there about 9 months. I worked for a couple of ranches until I took a job with the University of Nebraska at the Gudmundsen Research Ranch north of Whitman. I was there for about 3 yrs. While I was there I attended a great number of seminars and trainging sessions. I got married in Dec of 03. My wife and I took a camp managers position with the Rex Ranch in March of 05. Here is where I gained the majority of my ranch experience. I could right a book about what I learned there, but will try to sum it up. They are a extremely progressive outfit that covered about 293,000 acres and ran a little over 12,000 mother cows on 5 units and about 17 camps. The herd is 100% closed with the only outside genetics being introduced through an AI program. They have an extensive marketing program that includes bred cows as well as calves and yearlings. The ranch gives you the tools to develope your own management strategies and then holds you accountable for implementing them. I learned to develope grazing plans as well as financial budgets and ranch goals. The are implementing a mob style grazing rotation, at that time it was set up on a 45 and 90 rest period. We were fortunate to work for this company as the experience we gained there has been life changing and envaluable to us. I was able to go throug 2 HRM classes while there as well as a Bud Williams stockmanship class and numerous other education classes and seminars. I did everything while I was there from developing water and fence to calving mature cows, calving 2yr old hfrs, and running stockers. All the time we were there the work was done by my wife and myself and ranged from calving and summering a little over a 1000 pairs to running 790 some replacement hfrs as well as calving and summering about 520 2 yr old hfrs. We did have some help with limited experience while we calved the 2yr olds, but had to take care of the replacements at the same time. My wife was also teaching school during that time. The number one thing I learned there was to keep and open mind and think outside the box.
In Sept. of 07 I took a management position with Lone Creek Cattle Co. There focus is on developing there own beef product. With out going into a lot of detail I will sum up our experience there. I was hired to manage the 13,000 acre ranch, I soon found out that I was in a micro-management environment. My focus there was to develope the ranches production potential. The main herd of cows were fall calvers, we did run sum May/June calvers as well as stockers at different times. Developing the grazing on this ranch has been one of my biggest accomplishments to this day, if not my biggest. From Sept of 07 two Sept of 09 we basically doubled the stocking rate on the ranch and increased the range condition from fair to good/excellent. I was the only fulltime employee there until Jan. of 2010. I utilized day labor when I needed it but kept it to a minumum. I lost my job there in June due to a difference in management style. Since I have concentrated on my horse training business that I have been playing with for about 18 yrs. I also started to do some ranch consulting early this year. My primary focus with the consulting is developing a grazing system, but I have been fairly active in the other aspects of the ranch as well. We have 3 children, our daughter, Rylie, is 3 1/2, son James is 19 months and Addie is 5 weeks. I am also marketing some cattle to help pay the bills. Any questions or comments let em rip.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Bootheel here is my introduction   Mon Oct 04, 2010 6:36 am

A good introduction, FS, when you get time, I would like to here the breeding strategies, mngt. ont the Rex Ranch.
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Bootheel here is my introduction   Mon Oct 04, 2010 7:41 am

Welcome FS...don`t know how you found us, but your style and experiences will be such a welcome addition to our discussion here...
Ever know Vic Gentry from Whitman? I did business with Vic in another life...was that ever a trip !
Back to top Go down
http://www.keeneyscorner.com
flyingS

PostSubject: Re: Bootheel here is my introduction   Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:08 am

I bet it was a pretty bumpy road as well. He cut a pretty wide swath while he was there, not in a very good way. Boot I will try to elaborate a little on the Rex's program sometime. In my mind they are probably one of the top ranches in the nation, not just in production but overall management. They really invest in their employess and believe in the feeling of ownership. I never once did not feel like what I had there was not mine. They are truly a great company.
Back to top Go down
trevorgreycattleco

Location : central Ohio exactly the center. stuck in the middle

PostSubject: Re: Bootheel here is my introduction   Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:49 pm

flyings, I can only imagine what those jobs would have been like. Truly fascinating. I would enjoy any stories or lessons you have learned for sure. I had the pleasure of meeting double b from the 5barx the other day, he stopped by my place for a visit that ended up lasting all day. I would enjoy chatting with you as well anytime. Thanks bootheel for bringing in flyings.
Back to top Go down
Double B

PostSubject: Re: Bootheel here is my introduction   Fri Oct 08, 2010 12:38 am

trevorgreycattleco wrote:
flyings, I can only imagine what those jobs would have been like. Truly fascinating. I would enjoy any stories or lessons you have learned for sure. I had the pleasure of meeting double b from the 5barx the other day, he stopped by my place for a visit that ended up lasting all day. I would enjoy chatting with you as well anytime. Thanks bootheel for bringing in flyings.

I hope I didn't over stay my welcome.I sure enjoyed the visit,stew,and even the pbr.
Back to top Go down
trevorgreycattleco

Location : central Ohio exactly the center. stuck in the middle

PostSubject: Re: Bootheel here is my introduction   Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:58 am

We enjoyed having you Mike. Like I said , anytime you are more than welcome to stop by. We sure see eye to eye on lots of stuff. Take care buddy.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Bootheel here is my introduction   

Back to top Go down

Bootheel here is my introduction
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1