Keeney`s Corner

A current and reflective discussion of cattle breeding from outside the registered mainstream
 
HomeUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 
 

 Fly tags opinions?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
tom-ky



Posts : 1
Join date : 2010-10-09

PostSubject: Fly tags opinions?   Thu May 05, 2011 10:23 pm

Considering using fly tags this year as pinkeye was bad last year. Whats is the opinions of fly tags? Which ones? 1 or 2 tags?
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin


Posts : 4625
Join date : 2010-09-21

PostSubject: Re: Fly tags opinions?   Fri May 06, 2011 7:33 am

tom-ky wrote:
Considering using fly tags this year as pinkeye was bad last year. Whats is the opinions of fly tags? Which ones? 1 or 2 tags?
Tom,
the cheapest route might be a $10,000 Pharo bull with a low fly count; then again, it might not be the cheapest Smile ...but since it`s too late for this year, buy an expensive, new generation tag, and use two in cows...
Back to top Go down
http://www.keeneyscorner.com
Charles



Posts : 57
Join date : 2010-09-24

PostSubject: Re: Fly tags opinions?   Fri May 06, 2011 8:03 am

You might try Fly Killer Covers on your mineral feeders. I used them last year with good success. They are a round rubber lid that fits on a mineral feeder. They have a heavy felt pad underneath to stay soaked with insecticide and a small quart size tank on top that keeps it saturated. Cattle rub their faces on the underside of the cover when they lick the mineral in the tub. Also starting using Redmond salt & kelp a couple days ago. Cattle LOVE it! The extra mineral in the salt & kelp is supposed to help with fly resistance. Sir Gregory Walker recommends it..........Pharo should start a new line of fly resistant regular sized bulls. Could call them "Pharo Megas"
Back to top Go down
Grassfarmer



Posts : 850
Join date : 2010-09-27
Location : Belmont, Manitoba, Canada

PostSubject: Re: Fly tags opinions?   Fri May 06, 2011 9:18 am

Charles wrote:
Also starting using Redmond salt & kelp a couple days ago. Cattle LOVE it! The extra mineral in the salt & kelp is supposed to help with fly resistance.

I believe the increased iodine level in kelp is supposed to reduce or eliminate pinkeye (and footrot) rather than "helping with fly resistance". We used it for a couple of years and quit. Year one seemed a resounding success with perfect animal health, year two not so much as it was a wetter year - we suffered both footrot and pinkeye. Now I view kelp as a really expensive way to provide minerals to cows. The problem we had with pinkeye that year was a management one - we weren't moving cows fast enough away from the pieces they had grazed so now would speed up rotation to get them away from the next generation of hatching flies as flies don't fly very far. That's treating the problem not a symptom.

GF in the vicinity of a 4 star cow herd (we award one star per leg and thus far it has proven very accurate) Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://www.luingcattle.com
RobertMac



Posts : 377
Join date : 2010-09-28
Location : Mississippi, USA

PostSubject: Re: Fly tags opinions?   Fri May 06, 2011 10:07 am

I'm a low tech, set in my ways, poor learner...I sell problem cattle...prices are good!
Back to top Go down
chocolate cow



Posts : 103
Join date : 2010-09-24
Location : Kansas

PostSubject: Re: Fly tags opinions?   Fri May 06, 2011 10:31 am

I used CyGuard tags last year. Bayer Corp. They were good. Corathon tags (also by Bayer) were lousy. I did not use them for pink eye control but did use them for ticks. Last two years, ticks have been a big problem. Some guys had death loss. Ticks may not be an issue this year since we're really dry.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Fly tags opinions?   Fri May 06, 2011 1:53 pm

Charles wrote:
You might try Fly Killer Covers on your mineral feeders. I used them last year with good success. They are a round rubber lid that fits on a mineral feeder. They have a heavy felt pad underneath to stay soaked with insecticide and a small quart size tank on top that keeps it saturated. Cattle rub their faces on the underside of the cover when they lick the mineral in the tub. Also starting using Redmond salt & kelp a couple days ago. Cattle LOVE it! The extra mineral in the salt & kelp is supposed to help with fly resistance. Sir Gregory Walker recommends it..........Pharo should start a new line of fly resistant regular sized bulls. Could call them "Pharo Megas"

Nuh uh,,,, I do not recomend it for fly control. I was told by the dealer that it would help and it sure didn't... We have had no pinkeye or footrot since we started using it, the cows seem to breed back very well on it. and they really bloom on it. Flys, not so much... as a matter of fact, IMFO it brings in more. Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Fly tags opinions?   

Back to top Go down
 
Fly tags opinions?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1
 Similar topics
-
» Fly tags opinions?
» To whom and where to address for legal opinions/queries regarding RA no. 9184
» Use of Policy and Non-Policy Opinions Issued
» Weaning methods
» Posting of Award for AMPs P50,000.00 and below

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Keeney`s Corner :: farm and ranch life-
Jump to: