Keeney`s Corner

A current and reflective discussion of cattle breeding from outside the registered mainstream

HomeUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Brainpicking some of you BREEDER's out there

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage

PostSubject: Re: Brainpicking some of you BREEDER's out there   Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:14 pm

You guys have some smart cows, I reckon I have a few that are smart, but mainly just notice the dumb ones. Day before yesterday, had a weaned fall calf lay down in a hay ring. I guess while laying down he decided he would exit the ring through the horizontal slats at the bottom. While still laying on his side, he wormed his head and shoulders through, then proceded to sing his death song. Luckily the Great Guardian of the Ignorant happened by, and two trips to the machine shed later, a floor jack was employed to free him from certain death.

I like the cows that always know where their calf is, without having to hover over them all the time. The hover-er's are a pain in arse, difficult to move, cause stress on all. Worse yet are the ones with food on their mind all the time, then once satisified, freak out screaming, where is my calf oh where oh where can he be. She then procededs to try to get in between Miss hover-er, and around and around they go. Of course, they are in the minority, but I dang sure notice them. The good ones just shake their heads at the ignorance of the others and plod along their merry way.

I know several folks around here bush hog, so they can find their calves, or not run over them going to check them. My Dad used to fret over it considerably. I just dont drive the truck, either ride a horse or atv, but mainly figure that ol' cow better know where junior is at. Kindly think our worrying over them causes more problems than it solves at times.

Bootheel .... somewhere in the vicinity of a dead or dieing goat.
Back to top Go down
Bob H

PostSubject: Re: Brainpicking some of you BREEDER's out there   Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:23 pm

Ben I think that they will make you the same deal as we had for 60 days but don't know if you would like call me and I will give you the fellows name that we delt with.

About Animal intelegence I think that most animals are fairly intellegent and the we humans teach them not to be. If we would take more time observing and less time telling they would help our intellegence. I have observed in my life that the less I allow to my habits to teach animals the better we get along. ie bad fence's, we will get her later, The stupid cows won't go in the corral with that dog in the gate that won't mind us, We built this corral here and by gooly they will go in etc etc etc
Back to top Go down
Double B

PostSubject: Re: Brainpicking some of you BREEDER's out there   Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:03 pm

Kinda off topic. I wonder how much energy a cow wastes after she has been trained to eat cake--- waiting on cake, bellering for cake, hopeing every truck or tractor they hear or see is loaded with cake? It seems to help if you feed them at the same time, but my neighbor never feeds at the same time and I wonder if he would be better off not feeding them cake at all.

Bootheel, I also have plenty stupid cows. I tried to sell the stupid ones for awhile,but before I got home from the sale barn another one would take it's place. Really though it seems the smarter I get the smarter the cows get, I like to think were all learning together.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Brainpicking some of you BREEDER's out there   Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:20 pm

Bob, I have got the old man seriously considering this. If it happens it will probably start next year. Do they forward contract these calves? I guess I should probably just call you instead of asking on here but this lets others besides me consider this as well. Maybe a year from now I can drop some bulls off for the King of the Heeve Haw Ho tribe to try in his range heifer calving college. king

Ben Loyning
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Brainpicking some of you BREEDER's out there   Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:51 pm

Bob H, How old are the bulls when you get them, how many hfrs. per bull in big country, are calves born fast, calves have horns? DV Heeve Ho Haw Tribe
Back to top Go down
Oldtimer

PostSubject: Re: Brainpicking some of you BREEDER's out there   Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:21 am

Talking about the Wagyu's- I watched a couple of bull sales from some where over in the "happy valley" part of the state (Missoula area) that sold on Superior for 2-3 years.... I can't remember the name of the outfit- but their angus bulls sold like sh*t for prices and I couldn't figure out how they could afford Superior and RFD-TV....
But they also sold about 15-20 Wagyu's-- full, 3/4, and 1/2 bloods- all with 60 lb calving weights and they sold even worse than sh*t.... Most were less than $1000-- selling for $750 to 800....
I almost jumped on the phone and bought one for a heifer bull- and so I could brag about raising Kobi beef.... Wink

It was one of those places that has exchanged hands to someone that doesn't need to or care what they make off their cattle.... I keep thinking in the back of my mind it was the old Bear Paw ranch- but I sure could be wrong....
Anytime I think of the Missoula country I think of when I was on the rodeo team-- and we got into a fight in some hippy beer joint 40+ years ago- the cops showed up and I got arrested for assault against a hippy... Few hours later the Judge showed up- and we went to night court- and I pled not guilty to assault and told the Judge the guy that was filing the charges wasn't the guy I hit....It was the guy next to him- the one bleeding so much on the court room floor...
The Judge dropped the assault charge- I pled guilty to Disorderly Conduct (time served) and since we were on the way to rodeos in Plains and Pablo he told me that " if you get bucked off- land on your head- it will never hurt you".... A lesson I took to heart in more ways then one!!!
Back to top Go down
Kent Powell

PostSubject: Re: Brainpicking some of you BREEDER's out there   Fri Apr 01, 2011 5:08 am

Back to top Go down
http://powellangus.com
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Brainpicking some of you BREEDER's out there   Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:07 am

df wrote:
Dennis Voss wrote:
BobH, I looked into Akuaushi, but was told they were patented, or a least very controled, (Hey Genetic rustlers) My neighbor who lives in the vicinity of the Two Dot bridge knows alot about Akuaushi, I'll try to nudge him a little.

From the Heart Brand Beef website.........

"Fifty years ago the Japan Association of Akaushi registration was created in order to collect, manage and process all Akaushi data. The Association has collected carcass performance, breeding pedigrees and economic data for every animal on the entire breed. These data have been use by master geneticists and scientists in the selection of every Akaushi dam and sire over the last half-century. At the same time, the Kumamoto Prefecture Agricultural Research Center has used these data to select prospective sire and dam lines to be utilized for further genetic improvement. Consequently, new sire and dam lines are only released for general production after they have been proven meritorious by extensive and accurate statistical analysis, using a sophisticated progeny-testing model."

great stories and thoughts here fellows that I`m just catching up on...great song too...and no "great" bulls Smile the emphasis above echos the Tru-line concept; once again more predictable and easier done because we are dealing with terminal selection which entails fewer dimensions...

Back to top Go down
http://www.keeneyscorner.com

PostSubject: Re: Brainpicking some of you BREEDER's out there   Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:31 pm

Oldtimer wrote:
Anytime I think of the Missoula country I think of when I was on the rodeo team-- and we got into a fight in some hippy beer joint 40+ years ago- the cops showed up and I got arrested for assault against a hippy... Few hours later the Judge showed up- and we went to night court- and I pled not guilty to assault and told the Judge the guy that was filing the charges wasn't the guy I hit....It was the guy next to him- the one bleeding so much on the court room floor...
The Judge dropped the assault charge- I pled guilty to Disorderly Conduct (time served) and since we were on the way to rodeos in Plains and Pablo he told me that " if you get bucked off- land on your head- it will never hurt you".... A lesson I took to heart in more ways then one!!!

Small world Oldtimer, small world. I was the hippie you bloodied up that night! If I hadn't been so drunk and in love with the blond gal I was hanging on to (do you remember her or did you think we were all girls?) I would have pounded your jingling spurs right up the back of your spine. I'll never forget the blood oozing through my blond hair. Thanks for not cutting it off. Aah... those were the days. When I wasn't so damn drunk I could usually hold my own with any cowboy. What really upset the cowboys, then and now, was when I finally got done straightening out their brain they realized I was more cowboy than they were. You're creating a new occupation for me Oldtimer. I'm going to make it my job to out-story you, out-weather you, out-breed you, out-think you, out-last you and hopefully if we get the opportunity some day, maybe we could have a little dukey duke with a little reservation crawl and scream. Maybe you could bring your buddies James Coffelt and Jim Larson to Jordon, MT someday and we could have a little fundraiser for the firehall. I'd like to kind of even the score on all three of you.
Dennis Voss, sitting on a hill watching you plow snow as we speak
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Brainpicking some of you BREEDER's out there   Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:37 pm

Just joking
Back to top Go down
Double B

PostSubject: Re: Brainpicking some of you BREEDER's out there   Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:28 pm

Come on Voss don't stop now , shoot the the line and go for broke. Good thing you were just jokeing or some might call you Isue U tooo.

It's pretty tough to sell tickets to these deals when you boys keep changeing days and locations
Back to top Go down
Oldtimer

PostSubject: Re: Brainpicking some of you BREEDER's out there   Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:22 pm

Dennis Voss wrote:
Oldtimer wrote:

Small world Oldtimer, small world. I was the hippie you bloodied up that night! If I hadn't been so drunk and in love with the blond gal I was hanging on to (do you remember her or did you think we were all girls?) I would have pounded your jingling spurs right up the back of your spine. I'll never forget the blood oozing through my blond hair. Thanks for not cutting it off. Aah... those were the days. When I wasn't so damn drunk I could usually hold my own with any cowboy. What really upset the cowboys, then and now, was when I finally got done straightening out their brain they realized I was more cowboy than they were. You're creating a new occupation for me Oldtimer. I'm going to make it my job to out-story you, out-weather you, out-breed you, out-think you, out-last you and hopefully if we get the opportunity some day, maybe we could have a little dukey duke with a little reservation crawl and scream. Maybe you could bring your buddies James Coffelt and Jim Larson to Jordon, MT someday and we could have a little fundraiser for the firehall. I'd like to kind of even the score on all three of you.
Dennis Voss, sitting on a hill watching you plow snow as we speak

Jordan and Miles City are about even on my favorite stomping grounds- altho I haven't spent much time in either the last few years......Do get to see a lot of Jordan country friends quite often when they come north for Big Dry's sale-- or stop at Cadillac Corner to wet their whistles after they haul up cows to the stockyards...
Up until a couple of years ago- I had never missed a Miles spring horse sale or the Bucking Horse sale....
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Brainpicking some of you BREEDER's out there   Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:14 pm

I took a couple buckers to Miles City 15-10 yrs. ago, enjoyed the Indian horse races the most, but nothing beats the hospitality of either Jordan or Miles City. Only part of the world you can deliver bulls to the wrong set of corrals, and it all turns out perfect.DV of Banana Belt
Back to top Go down
Tom D
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Brainpicking some of you BREEDER's out there   Sat Apr 02, 2011 7:44 am

Double B wrote:
Come on Voss don't stop now , shoot the the line and go for broke. Good thing you were just jokeing or some might call you Isue U tooo.

It's pretty tough to sell tickets to these deals when you boys keep changeing days and locations

And eleven longhaired Friends of Jesus in a chartreuse microbus.
Back to top Go down
Bob H

PostSubject: Re: Brainpicking some of you BREEDER's out there   Sat Apr 02, 2011 9:01 am

Ben yes they forward contract the calf crop back and are a reputable company.

Dennis we realy never saw a calf being born, but think that it had to be with no heifer appearing to have had much of a time, the bulls were 3 or 4 years old and weighed around 1300 or 1400 lbs they were plenty physcal enough to run 25 to one in rough country we had them at 30 to one in a one water situation. The bulls were horned and do not know yet what % the calves will be. The other interesting thing was the shape from the nose to the tail was shaped to be born.
Back to top Go down
Double B

PostSubject: Re: Brainpicking some of you BREEDER's out there   Sat Apr 02, 2011 11:53 am

10 4 good buddy
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Brainpicking some of you BREEDER's out there   Sat Apr 02, 2011 2:20 pm

Dennis, I got your e-mail but our e-mail is screwed up and won't let me send anything. Thanks for the info. I'm going to check this out next week and will know a lot more this time next week. I'll fill you in.

Ben
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Brainpicking some of you BREEDER's out there   

Back to top Go down

Brainpicking some of you BREEDER's out there
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3