Keeney`s Corner

A current and reflective discussion of cattle breeding from outside the registered mainstream

HomeUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Sunday afternoon..........

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
chocolate cow

PostSubject: Sunday afternoon..........   Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:14 pm

First, this doesn't belong here, but I decided we need something "different" to read. I believe I'm one of the few- maybe the only female -to post on this site. Awhile back Mike jabbed me because I put my age on my "signature thingy". I'm 57. No big deal. My dad is 87. Dad is one of the few survivors of the Hurtgen Forest battle of WWII. He was in the 9th Infantry. He came home and finished college at K-State. He got his degree in Industrial Physics and came back to the farm. The cattle were all registered Angus. He and Mom married February 17, 1952. Their honeymoon was, as she found out, a bull buying trip to Penney & James in Missouri. We used to have a sign at the end of the driveway, tucked into some low cedars, that had an Angus bull on it with the families name, proclaiming Registered Angus. I don't remember Dad ever selling bulls to anyone. I was born in September of 1953 and was a huge disappointment. I was not a boy! A girl wasn't an option, apparently. affraid Mom & Dad adjusted. I've got a picture of Dad helping me stand beside an Angus bull. I was six months old. That picture means the world to me. Dad is living in a retirement home now. His kidney's failed three/four years ago. He's on dialysis three times a week. We talk. He still loves cattle but can't remember blood lines he once owned/used. He does remember having some fawn calves. Dad thought a deer had bred the cow. He also talked about getting a bunch of dwarf's and how devastating that was. I wish he could remember the blood lines because I think there is some valuable information if he could. About 1968, Dad started crossbreeding to Charolais. I HATED those bulls, and haven't let up much yet. I used to sneak to the corral and throw rocks at those Charolais. They were tall, rangy, nasty dispositioned things. When Dad's health forced him to leave the farm, it was all turned over to my brother. Yes, they finally produced a male in 1960. Mom passed away in February of this year, 10 days before their 59th anniversary. I've been around cattle from day one, but when I read the things you guys post, whether it's LarryL, Dennis, MikeK, all others, even Bootheel, I learn. I've learned how much I don't know. Thanks guys. Now, lets get back to learning. You're a great bunch.
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Sunday afternoon..........   Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:41 pm

CC, you`re a queen ... for a day anyway Smile ...anyone ever remember that old show, Queen for a Day.....my grandma never missed listening to it on the radio...I did too; being poor ain`t very depressing if you don`t realize your poor...like Larry`s "may you have enough", I suppose everyone around us was poor, so since there was nothing to compare to, we thought we were rich Smile

Last edited by MKeeney on Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.keeneyscorner.com

PostSubject: Re: Sunday afternoon..........   Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:51 pm

Nice story CC, and the best praise I have ever recieved, an "even Bootheel", here I thought I was just an orphan at a family reuinion. Yeah we get a little distracted from time to time, but when you go to war, the good General expects a little collateral damage, glad you were not damaged.

Bootheel, living the Good Life, even here.
Back to top Go down
chocolate cow

PostSubject: Re: Sunday afternoon..........   Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:15 am

Bootheel, I believe if you screw up, you WILL pay the price - whatever that price may be -. I'm not a bleeding heart just as you are not. If someone's actions are intentionally hurtful, you have to defend yourself. In this situation, the problem has been exposed, along with the individuals and the punishment initiated. We rise above them and move on to better things. cheers
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Sunday afternoon..........   Sun May 22, 2011 9:19 am

Choc-Cow, I just found your story here for the first time, guess I'm not much of a "Pink Panther"(investigator) Thank You for the story.My Dad is at this point in life also, 93, Plays cards well yet, can't remember what he was upset with last or who, took the wrong car out for an all day drive in the family ranch country, (car was owned by another older fellow a resident who called the police, it was a big news day in Chadron, Ne. When he finally returned, he lectured the police on how easy it was to steal cars around there! DV( related )
Back to top Go down
EddieM

PostSubject: Re: Sunday afternoon..........   Sun May 22, 2011 10:28 am

Quote :
I wish he could remember the blood lines because I think there is some valuable information if he could.

Ms Cow, if you are serious about a stroll down memory lane, you can do an EPD search on the AAA site with your father's herd prefix/registration name system and find registrations. It will probably not give you the total info that you want, but it is a start. Maybe others can take your info and link it somehow.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Sunday afternoon..........   Sun May 22, 2011 11:38 am

Great story CC. As a father of two daughters disappointment is the last word that comes to my mind. People used to ask if I was going to have one more so I could try for a boy and I'd say no! Why would I want to screw up my good help. Besides, with these two girls I could always get more boys than I could bear anyways.

I lost my mom in 99 to Alzheimer's and I understand some of what you and DV are going through. I wish you both good luck and I always figured some of what I would say to them got through even if they couldn't show it. There are 10 kids in my family and anytime we get together it is very loud. Everyone gets along and loves to laugh and poke fun and tell westies (stories). Toward the end for Mom if you were in her room by yourself and it was quite she would fuss and fidgit real restlessly but if there were alot of people in her room and it was loud and people were talking and laughing she would relax and rest just as peacefully as could be.

They truly were the greatest generation ever and I used to worry that no one from our generations were colorful enough to take their place, but after being on this site for awhile I think were in pretty good shape.

Jack, in the vicinity of 8+ inches of rain in the last 10 days. Ribbit, Ribbit, Ribbit!!!
Back to top Go down
chocolate cow

PostSubject: Re: Sunday afternoon..........   Mon May 23, 2011 9:13 pm

Thanks everyone for your comments. I lost Dad Wednesday morning, May 18. His birthday was Sunday, May 15. He'd just turned 88. Dad missed Mom more than he could manage. He went to bed Tuesday night and never woke up. I could just hear Mom saying "My God, Dean, what are you doing here?" I'll miss him terribly. Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
larkota

PostSubject: Re: Sunday afternoon..........   Mon May 23, 2011 9:47 pm

I feel real bad for you CC. I'm sure his work was done and now he left it up to you. my wife reminds me often we never know how good it is till it is taken away.
Back to top Go down
chocolate cow

PostSubject: Re: Sunday afternoon..........   Mon May 23, 2011 10:43 pm

Dennis, What a great story. That's small town living at it's best, isn't it? Somehow, I can see the similarities between you and your Dad....from a distance..over the internet.... Wink
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Sunday afternoon..........   Mon May 23, 2011 11:36 pm

I'm sorry to hear this CC. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. Jack
Back to top Go down
OAK LANE FARM

PostSubject: Re: Sunday afternoon..........   Tue May 24, 2011 7:13 am

chocolate cow wrote:
Dennis, What a great story. That's small town living at it's best, isn't it? Somehow, I can see the similarities between you and your Dad....from a distance..over the internet.... Wink
Sorry to hear about your dad Dee Ann. I know your dad is enjoying green pastures and fat cattle instead of worrying about the dry Kansas landscape. Dennis has a story about his dad , a land deal, a suit and some dresses and a cow town stroll that you would enjoy CC.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Sunday afternoon..........   Wed May 25, 2011 7:02 am

One of my best friends(retired vet/full-time rancher) got a ticket for not stopping at a railroad crossing the other day out in the middle of nowhere on his ranch. he'd got away with it if the train hadn't hit the rear part of his truck. This happened just east of the wind farm near Judth Gap. When the cops showed up Dean was picking up tools and stuff that had been in his truck. He is a great American on all levels. Dennis Voss near floods of water coming out of the mountains.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Sunday afternoon..........   Wed May 25, 2011 7:14 am

Choc-Cow, I salute your father and the life he lead, you pull from them and absorb their strength, you become more strong, more independent.They live on right beside you. Thats how I look at it. DV
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Sunday afternoon..........   Wed May 25, 2011 7:22 am

Dennis Voss wrote:
One of my best friends(retired vet/full-time rancher) got a ticket for not stopping at a railroad crossing the other day out in the middle of nowhere on his ranch. he'd got away with it if the train hadn't hit the rear part of his truck. This happened just east of the wind farm near Judth Gap. When the cops showed up Dean was picking up tools and stuff that had been in his truck. He is a great American on all levels. Dennis Voss near floods of water coming out of the mountains.
Dennis, can the spillway handle all the water from the big lake on the ranch, or does it overflow the banks? I can`t seem to find pictures of the lake anywhere but in my mind this morning...
Back to top Go down
http://www.keeneyscorner.com

PostSubject: Re: Sunday afternoon..........   Wed May 25, 2011 8:27 am

Lake is at capacity (45 acres) has filled second lake (25 acres) full head over flowing banks into third reservoir (15 acres) flowing out spillway onto about 400 acres of flat land ( looks like a lake) from there into the musselshell river which is out of its banks, from here to Roundup with home, farm evacuations all the way along the flood plain. I'm flooded in except for horse back. have one truck parked on west side of Big Elk for use if needed. Rocks are sinking into the mud and fat is running down the hills with the slush snow and rain water. DV got to go, see you in the movie "Slush Down The Mountain"(2011 version) ominious fog, frogs McNamaying their lonesome return to the surface, barn cats staring out at wet, shes mother nature,shes boss.
Back to top Go down
EddieM

PostSubject: Re: Sunday afternoon..........   Wed May 25, 2011 9:22 am

Sounds like we need to fly OT in for a live report.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Sunday afternoon..........   Thu May 26, 2011 8:37 am

Trench coat fog this morning Eddie, Frogs are Mcnamaying away, how does Jack say? Libbit, Tibbit, Ribbit, Cibbit,Kibbit, anyhow its a ibbit. Roar of the gravity stricken river is drowning out the frogs. More rain and snow up high on the way, today they say OT, OT, OLD T, weather is my way, the way, Dennis Voss, as OT(Old Timber)(Old Tiger?)(Never Out-Done old duffer)(Miles City Buckin Horse Tough OT Oats eating Hi-Liner GlasCow Raw Roping Sheriff Brand Bobber Deluxe)
Back to top Go down
EddieM

PostSubject: Re: Sunday afternoon..........   Fri May 27, 2011 8:49 am

Got home last night to a thunderstorm and RAIN, thank goodness. Power was out but I sleep in the dark anyhow. No frogs croaking. Hope the bridge survives.
Eddie, over and out.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Sunday afternoon..........   Fri May 27, 2011 9:14 am

EddieM wrote:
Sounds like we need to fly OT in for a live report.

I bet it would start out with (After our winter from Hell)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Sunday afternoon..........   

Back to top Go down

Sunday afternoon..........
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1