Keeney`s Corner

A current and reflective discussion of cattle breeding from outside the registered mainstream
 
HomeUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 
 

 What do you think?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
RobertMac



Posts : 399
Join date : 2010-09-28
Location : Mississippi, USA

PostSubject: What do you think?   Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:58 am

Back to top Go down
chocolate cow



Posts : 115
Join date : 2010-09-24
Location : Kansas

PostSubject: Re: What do you think?   Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:16 am

Some of what he says, I agree with. Some of it, I don't. Probably just the same as you. There are many choices available to us all whether it's cattle, cars or cats. We need to be aware of our environment and what do what works in that situation. I believe there are things we shouldn't turn our backs on because all progress isn't evil. I refuse to run my bulls 365 days a year with the cows simply because my Dad & Grandfather did. But, some of the old corral designs can't be improved on for the way the cattle flow through them. I've tried a few of Gearld Fry's thoughts on registered guys in my area and it doesn't work well. Same for Bonsma. I've been laughed at more than accepted.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: What do you think?   Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:18 am

I think that it, includes a lot of Non proven BS. But it does play to the fears and desires of many people today.

I wonder what the milk fat content of the average beef cow really is?
Back to top Go down
PatB



Posts : 491
Join date : 2010-09-25
Age : 53
Location : Turner, Maine

PostSubject: Re: What do you think?   Thu Sep 30, 2010 2:27 pm

Gregory Walker wrote:
I think that it, includes a lot of Non proven BS. But it does play to the fears and desires of many people today.

I wonder what the milk fat content of the average beef cow really is?

I bet you will find a wide variation in fat content in milk in any breed. Just look at the dairy breeds.
Back to top Go down
chocolate cow



Posts : 115
Join date : 2010-09-24
Location : Kansas

PostSubject: Re: What do you think?   Sun Oct 10, 2010 10:47 pm

In keeping with "What Do You Think", the following is quoted from a sale catalog I just received. No names to protect the innocent:

"Our ranch has maintained a closed herd. The bulls we purchase are tested for diseases before they ever commingle with our breeding stock, plus the bulls we sell in our annual production sales are tested for BVD and Trich. It has always been our priority to produce the most sound, complete animal possible, from their structure, udder, feet, easy fleshing, health and performance. These linebred Angus cows offer outstanding outcross potential on most herds. In the Angus breed there are very few herds still around that have stayed this close in genetic heritage. Yet many of the great sires in the Angus breed have come from linebred herds for the simple fact of their outcross ability on other Angus lines."

What do you think??????????
Back to top Go down
PatB



Posts : 491
Join date : 2010-09-25
Age : 53
Location : Turner, Maine

PostSubject: Re: What do you think?   Mon Oct 11, 2010 6:52 am

chocolate cow wrote:
In keeping with "What Do You Think", the following is quoted from a sale catalog I just received. No names to protect the innocent:

"Our ranch has maintained a closed herd. The bulls we purchase are tested for diseases before they ever commingle with our breeding stock, plus the bulls we sell in our annual production sales are tested for BVD and Trich. It has always been our priority to produce the most sound, complete animal possible, from their structure, udder, feet, easy fleshing, health and performance. These linebred Angus cows offer outstanding outcross potential on most herds. In the Angus breed there are very few herds still around that have stayed this close in genetic heritage. Yet many of the great sires in the Angus breed have come from linebred herds for the simple fact of their outcross ability on other Angus lines."

What do you think??????????

How can you have a closed herd if you buy in bulls?
Back to top Go down
chocolate cow



Posts : 115
Join date : 2010-09-24
Location : Kansas

PostSubject: Re: What do you think?   Mon Oct 11, 2010 3:45 pm

I have a question for anyone to answer. If you find a cow sucking another cow, do you

A: shoot both of them
B. sell the one doing the sucking or
C. sell both of them because the one sucking is a piece of s&*t and the other cow is stupid for letting another cow suck her.
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin


Posts : 5022
Join date : 2010-09-21

PostSubject: Re: What do you think?   Mon Oct 11, 2010 3:49 pm

chocolate cow wrote:
I have a question for anyone to answer. If you find a cow sucking another cow, do you

A: shoot both of them
B. sell the one doing the sucking or
C. sell both of them because the one sucking is a piece of s&*t and the other cow is stupid for letting another cow suck her.
I had three calves nursing a cow the other day; one her`s, two stealing...my thoughts were...uniformity of weaning weights Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.keeneyscorner.com
Charles



Posts : 60
Join date : 2010-09-24

PostSubject: Re: What do you think?   Mon Oct 11, 2010 4:04 pm

Thymus whorl........I notice most of my more functional cattle have a large and well defined whorl or shiney spot on the lower neck. Is this a really good indicator of health, fertility, and immune function?

Charles


Last edited by Charles on Tue Oct 12, 2010 7:36 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: What do you think?   Mon Oct 11, 2010 4:29 pm

A


Last edited by dwight@steadfastbeef.com on Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
PatB



Posts : 491
Join date : 2010-09-25
Age : 53
Location : Turner, Maine

PostSubject: Re: What do you think?   Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:00 pm

chocolate cow wrote:
I have a question for anyone to answer. If you find a cow sucking another cow, do you

A: shoot both of them
B. sell the one doing the sucking or
C. sell both of them because the one sucking is a piece of s&*t and the other cow is stupid for letting another cow suck her.

I would bull ring the one doing the sucking and if that does not work beef her in the fall. I am of the opinion that this trait may be heritary.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: What do you think?   

Back to top Go down
 
What do you think?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Keeney`s Corner :: Breeding Philosophies :: Breeding Philosophies-
Jump to: