Keeney`s Corner

A current and reflective discussion of cattle breeding from outside the registered mainstream
 
HomeUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 
 

 Trouble on the 4.9 bar Y

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Dylan Biggs



Posts : 392
Join date : 2011-03-07

PostSubject: Re: Trouble on the 4.9 bar Y   Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:34 pm

RobertMac wrote:
When I was a kid, I'd go around the house throwing dirt clods at wasp nest...what that taught me was to never hit a hornet's nest with a short stick.

So the moral of the story is the longer the stick the better? Very Happy
Back to top Go down
rross



Posts : 39
Join date : 2010-09-24

PostSubject: Re: Trouble on the 4.9 bar Y   Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:07 pm

[quote

I enjoyed looking at it thinking about what it would be like.



Are you sure you are not talking about women?????????
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Trouble on the 4.9 bar Y   Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:18 pm

rross wrote:
[quote

I enjoyed looking at it thinking about what it would be like.



Are you sure you are not talking about women?????????

another topic where data means damn little.
Back to top Go down
Double B

avatar

Posts : 76
Join date : 2010-10-07
Age : 38
Location : Mt. Liberty Oh

PostSubject: Re: Trouble on the 4.9 bar Y   Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:39 pm

rross wrote:
[quote

I enjoyed looking at it thinking about what it would be like.



Are you sure you are not talking about women?????????

I think that may be what helped me get over the train
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Trouble on the 4.9 bar Y   Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:28 am

What a train wreck, just read that" Ninja Jimmie Burr its Cold out Mama" is going to AI to ABS bull "SAV Bruiser 9164" Can someone tell him not to do this, sure ,theirs loyalty to the Co. but The name just does not fit, I think if I were Ninja Jimmie I would AI to"SAV Free Spirit 8164" even though he's CRi bull, but the name fits so much better, IMHO. But you can see why Ninja Jimmie likes the SAV line up, just listen to the names you can pick from, these are just a few of my personal favs. Prosperity, Iron Mountain, Momentum, Brave, Brilliance, and on and on.Great names for Great Breeders, and they PERFORM! Ah, life up at the old homestead 4.9barY, Where they don"t laugh, they squell with delight, playing Choo Choo Post A Choo, Toot, Toot, Choo Choo Su, Su Sue Su Who ???? you thats Who.
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin


Posts : 4605
Join date : 2010-09-21

PostSubject: Re: Trouble on the 4.9 bar Y   Fri Mar 18, 2011 3:37 am

Dennis Voss wrote:
What a train wreck, just read that" Ninja Jimmie Burr its Cold out Mama" is going to AI to ABS bull "SAV Bruiser 9164" Can someone tell him not to do this, sure ,theirs loyalty to the Co. but The name just does not fit, I think if I were Ninja Jimmie I would AI to"SAV Free Spirit 8164" even though he's CRi bull, but the name fits so much better, IMHO. But you can see why Ninja Jimmie likes the SAV line up, just listen to the names you can pick from, these are just a few of my personal favs. Prosperity, Iron Mountain, Momentum, Brave, Brilliance, and on and on.Great names for Great Breeders, and they PERFORM! Ah, life up at the old homestead 4.9barY, Where they don"t laugh, they squell with delight, playing Choo Choo Post A Choo, Toot, Toot, Choo Choo Su, Su Sue Su Who ???? you thats Who.




Back to top Go down
http://www.keeneyscorner.com
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Trouble on the 4.9 bar Y   Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:41 pm

New words of wisdom from Choo Choo Train Conductor on the toy train track at the mighty 4.9barY. "The guy who does not keep and use records on what he does will not survive too many more years" One thing I've always done is photograph all the udders of my reg. cows from as many angles as possible. I see MK also does alot of this form of documentation. I do believe this should help us survive MK,at least this is how I interpret his sage words.
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin


Posts : 4605
Join date : 2010-09-21

PostSubject: Re: Trouble on the 4.9 bar Y   Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:17 pm

Dennis Voss wrote:
New words of wisdom from Choo Choo Train Conductor on the toy train track at the mighty 4.9barY. "The guy who does not keep and use records on what he does will not survive too many more years" One thing I've always done is photograph all the udders of my reg. cows from as many angles as possible. I see MK also does alot of this form of documentation. I do believe this should help us survive MK,at least this is how I interpret his sage words.
well, I noticed our "sky is falling" advisor weighed his 23 replacement heifers the other day and they had good data...I`m thinking I might should sell 250 cows to make time to weigh the 50 remaining more often to collect some data to "survive" in this seedstock business...The one thing I won`t ever do to survive in this business is pimp semen for BS`ers like ABS...
Back to top Go down
http://www.keeneyscorner.com
MKeeney
Admin


Posts : 4605
Join date : 2010-09-21

PostSubject: Re: Trouble on the 4.9 bar Y   Sat Mar 19, 2011 3:41 am

what does "wide based" mean? can a bull be "wide based" when his rear feet just make one big double track ? is wide based a good thing?
Back to top Go down
http://www.keeneyscorner.com
OAK LANE FARM



Posts : 95
Join date : 2010-09-25

PostSubject: Re: Trouble on the 4.9 bar Y   Sat Mar 19, 2011 5:18 am

MKeeney wrote:
what does "wide based" mean? can a bull be "wide based" when his rear feet just make one big double track ? is wide based a good thing?
I think it means fat as you can possibly get them. Amazing how many wide based bulls become narrow based after a little breeding.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Trouble on the 4.9 bar Y   Sat Mar 19, 2011 7:55 am

Is there a wide based EPD or value. I want to see pictures of the #1 WB epd cow beside the #1 beef value cow. My cows would probably crawl in with the neighbors Char. bulls to get away from having to range calve babys from a wide based bull. You're right Mike, how is a wide based bull able to walk and click his rear dew claws together every step. CLICK CLICK CLICK Kinda reminds me of a time bomb.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Trouble on the 4.9 bar Y   Sat Mar 19, 2011 7:59 am

OAK LANE FARM wrote:
MKeeney wrote:
what does "wide based" mean? can a bull be "wide based" when his rear feet just make one big double track ? is wide based a good thing?
I think it means fat as you can possibly get them. Amazing how many wide based bulls become narrow based after a little breeding.

I think you're right Scott. I saw some tremendously wide based women waddling into Wal mart yeaterday. affraid
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin


Posts : 4605
Join date : 2010-09-21

PostSubject: Re: Trouble on the 4.9 bar Y   Sat Mar 19, 2011 8:02 am

Jack, throw in a good square wide rump on that "wide-based" cow...and a longhorn may be too much bull for her at calving time
Back to top Go down
http://www.keeneyscorner.com
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Trouble on the 4.9 bar Y   Sat Mar 19, 2011 8:17 am

MKeeney wrote:
Jack, throw in a good square wide rump on that "wide-based" cow...and a longhorn may be too much bull for her at calving time

You'll have to cross them with a Jack rabbit. I think Dennis and Bootheel may have a breeding project going for that. I can see the line now. HBR Jack Rabbit... makes an excellent out cross on your wide based cows!!! The RR&R boys are probably out warming up their pickups as we speak.
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin


Posts : 4605
Join date : 2010-09-21

PostSubject: Re: Trouble on the 4.9 bar Y   Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:22 pm

Time for some 4.9 mis-representation housecleaning
1. No KA prefixed or owned animal has ever been tested positive for a genetic defect.
2. I have never sold a Shoshone cow; therefore, no one has ever bought a Shoshone cow from me.
3. Grouping animals from all over the country does not form a large contemporary group; it in fact destroys comparative EPD data.
4. Using one set of ultrasound ratios from co-mingled comtemporary groups is a distortion of data.
5. Epd`s are created to compare animals across the breed using reference sires; not in herd basis ratios.

Back to top Go down
http://www.keeneyscorner.com
MKeeney
Admin


Posts : 4605
Join date : 2010-09-21

PostSubject: Re: Trouble on the 4.9 bar Y   Sun Mar 20, 2011 7:16 am

6. frame score is a measure to estimate finish weight of cattle...frame score x 100 plus 650 an estimation formula...so if cattle make 1250 at .4 inch fat, they damn sure were not 3 frame genetically when so measured. Frame score is impacted, just like weight, by feed...measuring frame score of cattle off limited energy rations to project finish weight is delusional...no, in the con game, illusional...
Back to top Go down
http://www.keeneyscorner.com
EddieM



Posts : 895
Join date : 2010-09-24
Location : South Carolina

PostSubject: Re: Trouble on the 4.9 bar Y   Sun Mar 20, 2011 7:51 am

Quote :
3. Grouping animals from all over the country does not form a large contemporary group; it in fact destroys comparative EPD data.
4. Using one set of ultrasound ratios from co-mingled comtemporary groups is a distortion of data.

These facts do not give much foundation to the traditions of buying "better" bulls from consignment type performance tested bull sales. Is there some length of time that would allow ultrasounding of a mixed group to be the least distorted?

Number 3 and Number 5: what if the composite group was sired by the same sire or highly related sires? Do you put more value on individual data within herd or totally ignore EPDs? I'm just trying to think this out.
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin


Posts : 4605
Join date : 2010-09-21

PostSubject: Re: Trouble on the 4.9 bar Y   Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:52 am

EddieM wrote:
Quote :
3. Grouping animals from all over the country does not form a large contemporary group; it in fact destroys comparative EPD data.
4. Using one set of ultrasound ratios from co-mingled comtemporary groups is a distortion of data.

These facts do not give much foundation to the traditions of buying "better" bulls from consignment type performance tested bull sales. Is there some length of time that would allow ultrasounding of a mixed group to be the least distorted?

the longer the better, but never ...

Number 3 and Number 5: what if the composite group was sired by the same sire or highly related sires? Do you put more value on individual data within herd or totally ignore EPDs? I'm just trying to think this out.

Epd`s would be more indicative of genetic level than in herd ratios...a 4.9 poster was quoting "perfect epds" as "0-0-0"...as no variation etc...totally misconcieved idea of what epd`s represent...
Back to top Go down
http://www.keeneyscorner.com
jhudson



Posts : 27
Join date : 2010-09-24

PostSubject: Re: Trouble on the 4.9 bar Y   Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:34 am

Mike, Great insights. Keep teaching. Thanks, Jim
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin


Posts : 4605
Join date : 2010-09-21

PostSubject: Re: Trouble on the 4.9 bar Y   Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:31 pm

Can one breeder`s produced cull, be another breeder`s best if they are on opposite selection ends of the variation?
Back to top Go down
http://www.keeneyscorner.com
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Trouble on the 4.9 bar Y   Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:58 pm

Yes it can mk, yes it can. I rode up to the 4.9 today, what a bunch of wieners, I mean whiners. Its the place for cry babies.
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin


Posts : 4605
Join date : 2010-09-21

PostSubject: Re: Trouble on the 4.9 bar Y   Thu Mar 24, 2011 7:25 am

Dennis,
I must admit; my ego gets the best of me, and I ride by and peer in most everyday...where else can I find as much praise and glory for my cattle than when put in the hands of a Pyramid Con Collaborater...and to think, and this was the impetus for my question, about one man`s culls being another man`s prize, these were mostly all stuff that had culled their way out of the program here Exclamation
There is an inherent danger involved though; a naive buyer could read this high praise for KA cattle, seek me out, and expect the same great results...especially true of new registered type breeders. "the good commercial men" as jimmie stink bug calls them are too smart to fall for such false praise...and after all, these "good commercial men" want "performance" in their cattle...hell, the 300 lb weaned calves at the stockyards Saturday just brought $1.90/lb...oh I shouldn`t bring up such, registered breeders and semen pimps have too much status in the cattle world to lower themselves to know "stockyard prices"...
but somehow, this "genetic rustler" thing of yours is kinda mis-named...if my L`Amour based knowledge of the WEST is correct, cattle rustlers stole cattle and then could change the brands...the rustlers you refer to want the orginal brand left on the cattle...SHOSHONE brand seems to be at a premuim;...
while the genetics can be had in rather endless fashion for the most reasonable of prices...gifted even in the past to sincere "breeders"...so, this is more about "brand rustling" than genetic rustling...selling purchased and even raised cattle under another brand name rather than their own name...either no patience or desire to build their own reputation...or their own reputation already established as a non-paying shyster neccessitating doing business on someone elses reputation and credentials...brand rustler seems more descriptive...
Back to top Go down
http://www.keeneyscorner.com
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Trouble on the 4.9 bar Y   Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:43 am

ize]BRAND RUSTLERS
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Trouble on the 4.9 bar Y   Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:58 am

A stink bug ranch, the mighty COFFIN BONER, JIMMIE STINK BUG NINJA WARRIOR, OLD STINKY LAST BEST COWPOKE, THE CLUCK HEN, COMPULSIVE CON FATSO DADLESS, and hidden in the wings, up at the "BIG" house, CAPTAIN KANGEROO FAYROW. How did he get to build the "BIG" house?
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Trouble on the 4.9 bar Y   Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:53 pm

Hi Jimmie Ninja, say are you related to Dennis Kucinich ( the lib. politican) Saw a picture of you on another thread and you look just like him! Hows your bulls doing, performing well I suppose. Hows the weather up there? I don't sell bulls anymore, just live vicariously through Ninjas like you. I may draw a picture of you sometime, the boys down here at KC have been pressing me pretty hard for one, we will see, I do have one in mind for Boner, say I think you may end up selling him a bull, now wouldn't that be neat, rumor has it he's going to quit the BIG GUY up at the BIG HOUSE, guess it isn't as good a deal as he wishes for. He's going out on his own I guess. What do you think about my chicken picture, I'd appreciate some input Jimmie. Your friend at KC- Dennis Voss (I Love Ext.)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Trouble on the 4.9 bar Y   

Back to top Go down
 
Trouble on the 4.9 bar Y
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Similar topics
-
» having trouble on the puree stage
» Having trouble losing weight
» Tribulation Truth!!! Jacob's Trouble best study ever!!!
» chat room having trouble getting in
» Rob Skiba: No Man Knows The Day Or The Hour/ 322 Tetrads & Jacobs Trouble

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Keeney`s Corner :: Breeding Philosophies :: Breeding Philosophies-
Jump to: