Keeney`s Corner

A current and reflective discussion of cattle breeding from outside the registered mainstream

HomeUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

3/9/11-- Northeast Montana

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Oldtimer

PostSubject: 3/9/11-- Northeast Montana   Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:37 pm

A few pics I took today showing our country today... Temp did get near 20- and they keep saying spring melt is coming......??????

The turnoff going into the yard..

One of the areas/lots we've cleared so we can feed/calve on... Luckily- no calves yet....

The road going to the river- the cousins keep open to get their cattle fed...

One of the lots we've kept plowed to get into to feed cows/calve in....

My normal calving area-- the hay meadows...As you can see we tried to keep it plowed open-- but it became a losing battle....
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 3/9/11-- Northeast Montana   Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:13 pm

Frickin' brrrr. Trail tip; Don't put up the "For Sale" sign until you've got some green grass.......might be a hard sell as is.
Back to top Go down
Oldtimer

PostSubject: Re: 3/9/11-- Northeast Montana   Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:27 pm

The "no calves yet" changed during the night...My son found this little feller about 2AM..

Not a very good pic- too sunny-- but he is enjoying the 36 temps and warm sunshine...
An 85 lb bull calf sired by Whitney Creek Bannon 730T- out of a 6807 X 5522 momma...

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 3/9/11-- Northeast Montana   Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:13 pm

You want to trade today OT, 38 and pouring down rain, nearly all day. One thing about, I knew I was ALIVE and well today, 4 mile drive on a open station tractor. I feel sorry for all the people out there that never leave a controlled environment, have no reason to slop, slip, and slide, as they just aren't living. I thank God for the oppurtunity to be almost miserable, a little, every day, as when the sun comes out to shine, I know it could be worse. Without the bad, what is good?
Back to top Go down
Oldtimer

PostSubject: Re: 3/9/11-- Northeast Montana   Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:22 pm

Bootheel- been in the 40's the last couple of days- and 20's at night- and there is ice everywhere... I screwed some sheet metal screws in the soles of my Sorels- or I'd be on my arse everytime I moved....Filled the fuel truck with about $500 worth of gas today in case the roads to town are flooded under for a month- like some predict....

For Taylor-- the first heifer calved today-- which happened to be a daughter of Whitney Creek Bannon 730T (Lazy Bar B Leinie)-- which was the first heifer calf sired by him- that I pictured a couple years ago that was born on a -20 night- and survived (minus ears and part of the tail) and which I last year bred back to her sire- Whitney Creek Bannon 730T ... An 81 lb bull calf....
Nice quiet heifer- that is an easy keeper- and we will see what her double bred Bannon bull calf does.....

This poor tree is going to take a beating...Because of 3 foot of snow/ice in the corrals and alleyways- I didn't get any of the cows poured for lice before they calved like usual--and with the 40 degree temps- everything is itchy..
Hopefully I can get them and the calves poured before I haul them out to pasture....

Today as I was hauling some hay out of the floodplain of Cherry Creek- I had to go by the Golf Course- and was wishing I would have remembered my camera so I could take some pictures of the deer and antelope standing on the only bare spots on top of the hills above the the two foot of snow on the Golf Course for MikeK's benefit .... Wink Razz Laughing
Back to top Go down
Tom D
Admin

PostSubject: Re: 3/9/11-- Northeast Montana   Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:13 pm

So that's where the deer and the antelope play. Anyway, hate to steal your thunder Snow Timer, but here's how we measure the snow at my ranch.
Back to top Go down
Oldtimer

PostSubject: Re: 3/9/11-- Northeast Montana   Sat Apr 09, 2011 9:26 pm

This winter is finally giving up some its hold..
But its going to take one last swipe at us with the floods...
Milk River is 5 foot over flood stage- and predicted to raise another 3 feet at least...

My road to town- about a foot of water over it now...

Willow Creek- which is about a mile south of me..

The Milk River about a mile north of me..

Where the two join about a mile and half east of me....
Back to top Go down
Oldtimer

PostSubject: Re: 3/9/11-- Northeast Montana   Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:41 pm

Billings Gazette has some good flood pics:

http://billingsgazette.com/news/state-and-regional/montana/article_9cd107f3-d0f4-54c7-a290-595096ae191a.html

Here's one of my flood pictures I had posted on Facebook that Northern Ag Network put on their website of my cousins place which is about a mile from me:

http://www.northernag.net/AGNews/tabid/171/articleType/ArticleView/articleId/3263/Milk-River-Before-After.aspx

If I get a chance to download some pictures later- I'll post some more...

I'm going on day 7 of being flooded in...
And it sounds like the waters may not recede for a couple more weeks... Altho- unless something drastic happens I think the river has about crested at 6 1/2 feet over flood stage- which puts the water over 2 1/2 foot deep on my county road...

And now today the Albertans sent us 30 degree temps and a mini blizzard
with 40mph winds and snow.... More moisture is not what we need..
One thing about this country- we know it will always dry up sometime...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 3/9/11-- Northeast Montana   

Back to top Go down

3/9/11-- Northeast Montana
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1