Keeney`s Corner

A current and reflective discussion of cattle breeding from outside the registered mainstream

HomeUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

the wheelz of fortune

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage

PostSubject: the wheelz of fortune   Sun Feb 27, 2011 9:35 pm

[url=https://www.msu.edu/~ritchieh/historical/cattletype.html ]https://www.msu.edu/~ritchieh/historical/cattletype.html [/url]

pretty nifty I epecially like the 2 framer
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: the wheelz of fortune   Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:55 am

Bootheel wrote:
[url=https://www.msu.edu/~ritchieh/historical/cattletype.html ]https://www.msu.edu/~ritchieh/historical/cattletype.html [/url]

yes, excellent trip through years of change...defined as progress in the registered business each era. No measurement is being more mis-applied than frame score... frame score measurement is an indicator of mature height, and less so finished weight , of a steer or heifer...frame score of cattle on restricted nutrition can easily be two frame scores less at yearling compared to what actually will be their mature frame size.
Back to top Go down
http://www.keeneyscorner.com
df

PostSubject: Re: the wheelz of fortune   Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:06 am

Once again making me wonder why "breeders" would only use phenotypic selection.
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: the wheelz of fortune   Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:18 am

df wrote:

I use genotypic selection along with phenotypic selection...but I don`t worry about using epd`s...now Dennis, there`s your riddle for the for class today Smile and thanks for continuing to riddle and ridicule ...it keeps things lively, and makes me wonder what I`m missing out on by being so backward Smile

what would the actual birthweight range be out my heifers by +10 and higher calving ease Angus bulls?
Back to top Go down
df

PostSubject: Re: the wheelz of fortune   Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:29 am

MKeeney wrote:
df wrote:

I use genotypic selection along with phenotypic selection...but I don`t worry about using epd`s...now Dennis, there`s your riddle for the for class today Smile and thanks for continuing to riddle and ridicule ...it keeps things lively, and makes me wonder what I`m missing out on by being so backward Smile

what would the actual birthweight range be out my heifers by +10 and higher calving ease Angus bulls?

Actually I seldom ridicule. I only ask questions to provoke thought. Well, the last comment was a bit in the "ridicule" realm. Smile
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: the wheelz of fortune   Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:07 am

df wrote:
MKeeney wrote:
df wrote:

Actually I seldom ridicule. I only ask questions to provoke thought. Well, the last comment was a bit in the "ridicule" realm. Smile
your ridicule makes me laugh with you...and should make everyone think...everyone`s ideas need challenging and defending honestly for us to create a little progress in these endeavors...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: the wheelz of fortune   Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:42 am

MKeeney wrote:
df wrote:
MKeeney wrote:
df wrote:

your ridicule makes me laugh with you...and should make everyone think...everyone`s ideas need challenging and defending honestly for us to create a little progress in these endeavors...

I am having a hard time understanding what progress is... I am sure in 1950 the owners of the grandchampion bull tub'o lard thought that they had made some great progress. I am sure that Cobblepond New Yorker's owners thought they had finally achieved the bull of bulls. What is really interesting to me is that today we have breeders going gangbusters in both directions... Smile
The cattle I like are kinda in the middle. and once I get there with everything I have, I think that I will have made some progress. But maybe not.
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: the wheelz of fortune   Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:58 am

Epd`s and progress are both kindda like prescriptions...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: the wheelz of fortune   Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:59 pm

'L, I'll be, you boys must have took the Hugh Hefner approach, and just looked at the pictures, did you not see all those words in there. df, or is it DF,, the fads of the showring were driven by PACKER demand, according to the background information. Of course human nature took it tooooooooo far, in every case. If you do a little diggin, in the Harlan Hughes, not the other Hugh's......either way the fashions surely change......back when Moby Dick was minnow, the demand was for very large carcasses, downsizing for over 100 years until lo and behold, they got tooooooo small, overcorrected in another 30 years, and now here we sit spinnin' and a gettin' dizzy a whatever the percieved demand from Mr. Packer is today. I could not give two rips in the wind, what the showring wants, far as I can tell the craze for the past 15 years is to see who can get them the fattest, and still keep a purty front end, go figure.

My typer seems to be workin' today, so lets rip, snort and bellar, grass is greenin' up, water every where, I am lookin for a washed out water gap, low swag in the fence, weakness anywhere, come on lets butt heads a little, let a little testosterone unleash its power.

Signed,

Bowwed up for Action

Back to top Go down
df

PostSubject: Re: the wheelz of fortune   Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:18 pm

The packer tells you everyday what he wants via a grid. That grid tells you what he wants in carcass weight, quality grades and yield grades. He even tells you what color of cattle he wants. There is no "round and round". Granted the grid premiums change a bit throughout the year but the DISCOUNTS DO NOT. And the discounts are severe enough to wipe out lots of premiums.

So carcass weight is about 67% of the value of the carcass and the quality grade is about 25% of the value of the carcass. This, again, changes throughout the year but is the general rule of thumb. Packers want the biggest carcass they can get that is less than their max and they want Choice and Prime cattle. Of course, they are not really paying for Choice right now but at times the premium has been substantial.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: the wheelz of fortune   Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:03 pm

You bethca Teach, just like he told them he wanted 2000# ones in the 1800's, come on do your homework, READ the material provided. Locked cocked and loaded to knock the skin of that knuckle ball, put some heat,smoke and spit on that thing. The article is straight out of Universitydom, all the info is there for you. Type to type......your kiddin, right. The purebreds, bred the changers to meet the changing demands of the PACKER. Of course they took it to far, more marketing BS, circus, freak show, mostest of the mostest, leasest of the leastest, pull the wool over the eyes of the sucker born every minute, Florist that should have stuck to sellin' purty smells and bouqets, rather than the bull excrement from the money changers of the Mainstream Mafia.

Short winded version here df, lost my thesis, to squish the putrid juice from the rotten grapes of wrath, of hocuspocusville.

Back to top Go down
df

PostSubject: Re: the wheelz of fortune   Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:52 pm

If you don't want to produce what the packer wants, you don't have to. It is still a free country.....

I been through Harlan Ritchie's website several times and have taught history of beef cattle (~1860 to present). Maybe you have read "Battle of the Bull Runts"?

Last edited by df on Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: the wheelz of fortune   Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:16 pm

Firmly set and tamped in the reality of packer demand, Teach, as I am a commercial producer, no supplemental, expiremental, sub-irrigation from patrons of the money tree here. Shake up them beads, spill 'em out, and chase some commercial dollars. Showring is nothing but a reflection of the changing needs of the industry, taken toooooo far, same as the numerical games played now. Your gonna have to get out of small boxed-infested synapse framework, to decipher the Metaphor-isized, realities, here at the corner.

Wind 'er up Teach
Back to top Go down
df

PostSubject: Re: the wheelz of fortune   Mon Feb 28, 2011 3:55 pm

Be sure to give us instruction on profitable commercial beef production. I'll read it, especially if it is "Metamphorized"!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: the wheelz of fortune   Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:19 pm

Golly gee, df, profitable commercial production huh,........ don't spend more than you make, sure woulda thunk they taught that up there in the University.......but I like what your thinking, finally getting to the meat, peel off those hides covering the falsehoods of profit, and we will have a tasty morsel soon enough.
Back to top Go down
EddieM

PostSubject: Re: the wheelz of fortune   Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:41 am

Quote :

Doctor df, can you give me a real breeder who is doing this so I can consider an actual example? Thanks.
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: the wheelz of fortune   Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:24 pm

Bootheel wrote:

is there a university with a registered cowherd that hasn`t been a full participant, or maybe even leader, in every fad that has come along?
Back to top Go down
larkota

PostSubject: Re: the wheelz of fortune   Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:07 pm

NMSU heck everyone around here laughed at the bull I got from them.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: the wheelz of fortune   

Back to top Go down

the wheelz of fortune
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1