Keeney`s Corner

A reflective and futuristic view of cattle breeding from outside the registered mainstream

HomeFAQSearchUsergroupsRegisterLog in
Share | 

Heifers for sale

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Gregory Walker

PostSubject: Heifers for sale   Mon 21 Feb 2011, 3:01 pm

I have 27 coming yearling heifers for sale, that I have learned from 4.9barY are worth thousands. 6 of them are Keeney heifers. I will take $1800 apiece. You can also have all of this years crop for $1400 November 1st. should be another 30 or so. Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.meadowoaksangus.com
Tom D

PostSubject: Re: Heifers for sale   Mon 21 Feb 2011, 6:48 pm

Sir Gregory, I will take them all. I'm sure that I can calve them out, breed them back, and then sell them for $2,500 a piece. Do you take paypal?
Back to top Go down
Gregory Walker

PostSubject: Re: Heifers for sale   Mon 21 Feb 2011, 7:05 pm

Tom D wrote:
Sir Gregory, I will take them all. I'm sure that I can calve them out, breed them back, and then sell them for $2,500 a piece. Do you take paypal?

I have to warn you, they don't have giant heads from stunting. I think you might need that to get the $2500. I only take checks written on pieces of birchbark.
Back to top Go down
Tom D

PostSubject: Re: Heifers for sale   Mon 21 Feb 2011, 8:32 pm

You noticed that too, huh?
Back to top Go down
Gregory Walker

PostSubject: Re: Heifers for sale   Mon 21 Feb 2011, 11:18 pm

Tom D wrote:
You noticed that too, huh?

Uh huh... Smile
Back to top Go down
Charles

PostSubject: Re: Heifers for sale   Tue 22 Feb 2011, 10:06 pm

Everything is BIGGER over here in the Buckeye state! Just to make it interesting, I will take $1850 for my heifers........because a few of them were sired by one of the fabled Irish Black bulls of Colorado!!!

Charles the Celt who gave up cat wrangling recently with Sir Gregory
Back to top Go down
Gregory Walker

PostSubject: Re: Heifers for sale   Wed 23 Feb 2011, 8:47 am

Charles wrote:
Everything is BIGGER over here in the Buckeye state! Just to make it interesting, I will take $1850 for my heifers........because a few of them were sired by one of the fabled Irish Black bulls of Colorado!!!

Charles the Celt who gave up cat wrangling recently with Sir Gregory

Do your cute little Irish cattle have white bands around them?
Back to top Go down
Charles

PostSubject: Re: Heifers for sale   Wed 23 Feb 2011, 8:42 pm

No white bands, but lots of white spots, you would say they are holstiens or holstein crosses from afar...............

Charles future BTO (Big Time Operator)
Back to top Go down
Grassfarmer

PostSubject: Re: Heifers for sale   Thu 24 Feb 2011, 12:39 am

Always been curious about those "Irish Black" TM cattle and what there origin really was. There was a guy Walter Shortt in Northern Ireland that developed a breed he called "Tyrone" Blacks (named after the county) which were bred off a Friesian/Charolais/Angus mix. That always seemed a more likely breed origin to meet the claims of this wonderful Colorado species than Friesian alone. I've seen plenty Friesian cattle and they were a beefier dairy breed but not to the extent of beef characteristics these cattle are claimed to possess.
Seems just like everything in Texas is bigger, everything in Colorado is what was that word....aggrandized? Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://www.luingcattle.com
Charles

PostSubject: Re: Heifers for sale   Thu 24 Feb 2011, 11:48 pm

I owned 6 Irish Black cows and an Irish Black bull for a little over 2 years. I got interested in them as an alternative to terminal Angus breeding. The Irish Black "breed" was formed by Maurice Boney in the 1970's when he and several others imported some beef Friesian bulls and semen. Boney had some old fashioned short legged Angus cows and he bred them to an Irish Friesian bull. He then took the resulting heifers and bred them to a second Irish Friesian bull. The resulting heifers from the second Friesian bull were then mated back to the first Friesian bull which was their grandsire. Then resulting heifers were mated back to the second Friesian bull. Boney stopped with some of the cattle at the 15/16's Friesian level, some were mated back and forth a couple more times. Since then Boney has used a mixture of population genetics and linebreeding within the pool of 15/16's or greater Irish Friesian blood. The 2 orginal bulls were named Turepo & Falko, those names are stacked in all the pedigrees.

The cows suffered greatly from inbreeding depression although I didn't understand what it was at that time. All I knew was that they were small knotty infertile cows that I couldn't get any real flesh on and they never did shed all of their winter hair. Very hard keeping cattle. Some of the problem may have been related to environmental change bringing them here to Ohio. One cow had a big white spot on her right hip. All 6 got bred the first year, but I lost 3 of those calves due to double muscling. Double muscled calves weighed 120-130 lbs and had to be pulled, were dead. Only was able to get 3 of them bred back the second year, 1 double muscled calf dead, 2 were alive in year 2.

The bull was an agressive breeder, he bred 57 cows the first season (including the IB cows) and 54 the second breeding season. All of my commercial cows but one got bred the first year, all got bred the second year that were exposed to him. Each year about 40-45 of them calved in 25 days, the rest in another heat cycle. Each year I got 4-5 double muscled calves out of the commercial cows, but my cows were pretty big and had them OK. The bull turned into a mankilling type as bad or worse than any dairy bull. Toward the end you couldn't go into the pasture with him. Got him lured into a concrete block barn by chance, managed to load him off to slaughter. If this hadn't happened, the .270 winchester would have been used.

My commercial cows were Char/Angus & Simmental/Angus crosses. Most of the calves came out red & white spotted or black & white spotted. There is a lot of Holstein color just under that Irish Black hide. The IB cross calves grew well, there was some real heterosis present. However, I got docked heavily on the calves because they looked like dairy crosses. I eventually talked with several people who had experience with beef Friesian cattle including Tim Ohlde. All told me that you must keep the Friesian blood below 1/2 to avoid spotting, preferably 1/4 or less as in Ohlde's Angus II cattle.

Charles
Back to top Go down

Heifers for sale

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Keeney`s Corner ::  :: -