Keeney`s Corner

A current and reflective discussion of cattle breeding from outside the registered mainstream
 
HomeUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 
 

 Heated Calving Barns at the Spotted Dog Ranch

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Charles



Posts : 57
Join date : 2010-09-24

PostSubject: Re: Heated Calving Barns at the Spotted Dog Ranch   Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:09 pm

Picture of that old Cat brings back some memories. I learned to operate on an old D8 cable blade dozer. Moved from that to D9's & 10's during my surface mining days. I would like to have an old cable tractor for brush clearing. Got a Case 450, but's not like running a big dozer. Never seen a blade like that before.........Is that something custom built?

Charles
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Heated Calving Barns at the Spotted Dog Ranch   Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:21 pm

Charles, that is a cutter blade, or A-blade, lots of them were made around here in the '50's, used for clearing. Seareted blade on both sides. Cuts through a tree like a hot knife through buttler, leaving the stump flush with the ground if so desired. The man I bought this one from had a patent, and built these for several years. He found this dozer hid in the brush, with tree's growing through the middle of it, stripped it down and got it going again. The upper prong is for leverage to reach high up to push over a tree, bottom one is a stump buster, on this particular one, it is too long, most were shorter. This one limits how high you can push on a tree, due to its excessive length.


Ran across an an old D8 down the road, fixin' to be scrapped, this one is a D7, model-D17A, with electric start, added on later. I have laid down about 60 acres with it so far, 340 to go. It has has a brush rake, to use once you lay down the trees to push everything up with.


Arh, Arh Arh Mad Mad


Bootheel
Back to top Go down
Charles



Posts : 57
Join date : 2010-09-24

PostSubject: Re: Heated Calving Barns at the Spotted Dog Ranch   Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:58 am

I thought that was a D7, wasn't 100% sure at the distance. I can see that having that prong too far out would limit your leverage in pushing. Laughing I always just grubbed with a dirt blade although I ran a JD crawler with a brush rake for a short time one summer. I grubbed 100's of acres ahead of strip mining back in the 80's with an old D9G....it's spooky when a "widowmaker" comes through the cab window and misses your head by about 6 inches. A widowmaker is a springy sapling 6"-10" in diameter that catches on some brush or a blade corner, gets bent like a bow, then pops off and recoils back toward the dozer and maybe comes into the cab. Shocked

Charles
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Heated Calving Barns at the Spotted Dog Ranch   Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:17 pm

Here is what we been doin' with the ol' girl, Charles.

[img][/img]

[img][/img]


[img][/img]

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

And you are right about those widomakers, this deal works pretty slick, as long as you can keep moving forwards. Backing up is usually what brings the stuff in with you......usually.

I had a little D3 for several years, always wanted to wear a football helmet and a flack jacket, LOL.
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin


Posts : 4625
Join date : 2010-09-21

PostSubject: Re: Heated Calving Barns at the Spotted Dog Ranch   Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:22 pm

will the cleared land grow good grass well? was it in grass that you remember?
Back to top Go down
http://www.keeneyscorner.com
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Heated Calving Barns at the Spotted Dog Ranch   Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:43 pm

Yes, the sad thing is when we bought this place 15 years ago, it had been in CRP, for 10 plus, and was almost as grown up then, not quite. We had to clean it up, to re-plant it in trees. Planted in various kinds of acorns, none of which made it to the 2nd year. In ten years it looked just like it did when we bought it, worse now. The next saddest thing, is the fact that it was ever farmed to begin with, mainly so it could be put in the program.

It is not great soil, not the worst in the world, if it gets a little rain does pretty good, prone to erosion, mainly just helps hold the world together. Thinking I may fly on some lespedeza before I push up the brush. This place is why I bought the goats, thought they might enjoy the scenary while looking for a place to die.
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin


Posts : 4625
Join date : 2010-09-21

PostSubject: Re: Heated Calving Barns at the Spotted Dog Ranch   Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:46 pm

Bootheel wrote:
Yes, the sad thing is when we bought this place 15 years ago, it had been in CRP, for 10 plus, and was almost as grown up then, not quite. We had to clean it up, to re-plant it in trees. Planted in various kinds of acorns, none of which made it to the 2nd year. In ten years it looked just like it did when we bought it, worse now. The next saddest thing, is the fact that it was ever farmed to begin with, mainly so it could be put in the program.

It is not great soil, not the worst in the world, if it gets a little rain does pretty good, prone to erosion, mainly just helps hold the world together. Thinking I may fly on some lespedeza before I push up the brush. This place is why I bought the goats, thought they might enjoy the scenary while looking for a place to die.

equals my goat experiences Smile Smile Smile but maybe they will thrive in the browse...
Back to top Go down
http://www.keeneyscorner.com
Oldtimer

avatar

Posts : 308
Join date : 2010-10-04
Location : Northeast Montana

PostSubject: Re: Heated Calving Barns at the Spotted Dog Ranch   Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:46 pm

You know in this part of the country- cutting down a tree is considered a mortal sin.... Wink Razz
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin


Posts : 4625
Join date : 2010-09-21

PostSubject: Re: Heated Calving Barns at the Spotted Dog Ranch   Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:52 pm

Oldtimer wrote:
You know in this part of the country- cutting down a tree is considered a mortal sin.... Wink Razz
Johnny Appleseed never got as far as Montana , did he, OT? Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.keeneyscorner.com
shilow angus



Posts : 57
Join date : 2010-09-24

PostSubject: Re: Heated Calving Barns at the Spotted Dog Ranch   Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:42 pm

Charles wrote:
Picture of that old Cat brings back some memories. I learned to operate on an old D8 cable blade dozer. Moved from that to D9's & 10's during my surface mining days. I would like to have an old cable tractor for brush clearing. Got a Case 450, but's not like running a big dozer. Never seen a blade like that before.........Is that something custom built?

Charles


Charles I'm still making memories on a D9 R Model.....My day job

Boot I ran a D10 T Model for a while.....Two exhaust stacks the size of 5 gallons buckets... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Charles



Posts : 57
Join date : 2010-09-24

PostSubject: Re: Heated Calving Barns at the Spotted Dog Ranch   Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:48 am

Boot, you've got the easy part done, knocking the trash down, now what are you going to do with it??? Seriously, my hat's off to you it's a LOT of work cleaning up overgrown land. Brush can easily grow a half an inch in diameter a year. 15-20 years of neglect and you have 8-10" trees in what was open pasture. A lot of jungle around here mostly old strip mined land that wasn't well reclaimed and not maintained since. A neighbor tried to drag a heavy cable between 2 big dozers to try to clear some brushy land. Didn't work, just bent most of it over and the small trees straighted right back up. He now has a hydro-ax, it's expensive but effective.

Shilow, I left the coal field in 1990, the clean air act of that year shut down mining of high sulfur coal from E. Ohio. New equipment back then was D9L's and first generation D10's. The last few yrs coal has been rebounding around here. Much new activity. I still feel a strong pull back to the big equipment, I had a job offer to run a new D10 last year. Was hard to turn down, but I can retire in 3 yrs from my present job and putter with cattle full time.

Charles
Back to top Go down
Mean Spirit



Posts : 321
Join date : 2010-09-26

PostSubject: Re: Heated Calving Barns at the Spotted Dog Ranch   Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:33 am

shilow angus wrote:
Charles wrote:
Picture of that old Cat brings back some memories. I learned to operate on an old D8 cable blade dozer. Moved from that to D9's & 10's during my surface mining days. I would like to have an old cable tractor for brush clearing. Got a Case 450, but's not like running a big dozer. Never seen a blade like that before.........Is that something custom built?

Charles


Charles I'm still making memories on a D9 R Model.....My day job

Boot I ran a D10 T Model for a while.....Two exhaust stacks the size of 5 gallons buckets... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

I also have a tractor-- it's different than y'all's

Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin


Posts : 4625
Join date : 2010-09-21

PostSubject: Re: Heated Calving Barns at the Spotted Dog Ranch   Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:01 am

MS,
Is that your clothes hung out to dry on the gooseneck? maybe from your previous life as a vet? Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.keeneyscorner.com
PatB



Posts : 455
Join date : 2010-09-25
Age : 53
Location : Turner, Maine

PostSubject: Re: Heated Calving Barns at the Spotted Dog Ranch   Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:18 am

Bootheel do you have to feed hay sometime during the year? I have found that feeding hay in the cutover area helps promote grass growth and the cows eat more of the woody plants. These area make great sacrifice areas during times of the year you do not want to destroy your better pastures ie mud season. I have divided my area into paddocks added it to the general rotation this helps with brush contol and the production has been increasing yearly. I have frost seeded my cut areas with ochard grass, red clover, white clover, perennial ryegrass and birdsfoot trefoil.
Back to top Go down
Mean Spirit



Posts : 321
Join date : 2010-09-26

PostSubject: Re: Heated Calving Barns at the Spotted Dog Ranch   Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:35 am

MKeeney wrote:
MS,
Is that your clothes hung out to dry on the gooseneck? maybe from your previous life as a vet? Smile

We don't use the gooseneck as a clothes line. That'd be trashy.

I think in the picture we are using it to store the hay barn after it was emptied.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Heated Calving Barns at the Spotted Dog Ranch   Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:44 pm

patb wrote:
Bootheel do you have to feed hay sometime during the year? I have found that feeding hay in the cutover area helps promote grass growth and the cows eat more of the woody plants. These area make great sacrifice areas during times of the year you do not want to destroy your better pastures ie mud season. I have divided my area into paddocks added it to the general rotation this helps with brush contol and the production has been increasing yearly. I have frost seeded my cut areas with ochard grass, red clover, white clover, perennial ryegrass and birdsfoot trefoil.


Pretty much my plan Pat, problem is the thorns, hard on tires and hoofs, hoping to get most of it pushed up before I get the cows in. Ran a few bulls in there this fall, goats and deer follow the dozer along, like your dumping out grain, getting the tips off the trees.


Sweet tractor MS, whole lot funner to look at than actually use though, like my wide front, WD45 with no power steering, make a man out of ya' in a hurry......an old old man.

Bootheel
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Heated Calving Barns at the Spotted Dog Ranch   Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:51 pm

Charles wrote:
Boot, you've got the easy part done, knocking the trash down, now what are you going to do with it??? Seriously, my hat's off to you it's a LOT of work cleaning up overgrown land. Brush can easily grow a half an inch in diameter a year. 15-20 years of neglect and you have 8-10" trees in what was open pasture. A lot of jungle around here mostly old strip mined land that wasn't well reclaimed and not maintained since. A neighbor tried to drag a heavy cable between 2 big dozers to try to clear some brushy land. Didn't work, just bent most of it over and the small trees straighted right back up. He now has a hydro-ax, it's expensive but effective.

Shilow, I left the coal field in 1990, the clean air act of that year shut down mining of high sulfur coal from E. Ohio. New equipment back then was D9L's and first generation D10's. The last few yrs coal has been rebounding around here. Much new activity. I still feel a strong pull back to the big equipment, I had a job offer to run a new D10 last year. Was hard to turn down, but I can retire in 3 yrs from my present job and putter with cattle full time.

Charles


Most of the worst of the trees were around the old fence rows, took them out with my excavator last spring, and got the perimeter fences put up this summer and early fall. There was still a lot of open ground in the middle, and a few thickets. I was about to pull what little hair I have left out, using the excavator, ran across this rig and speeded the process considerably. Some of it is pushed into piles already, probably would not have had to build fence, just push it all to the edge like a few folks around here use to do. It would hold cows a long time, LOL.
Back to top Go down
PatB



Posts : 455
Join date : 2010-09-25
Age : 53
Location : Turner, Maine

PostSubject: Re: Heated Calving Barns at the Spotted Dog Ranch   Sat Feb 12, 2011 1:10 pm

Bootheel wrote:
patb wrote:
Bootheel do you have to feed hay sometime during the year? I have found that feeding hay in the cutover area helps promote grass growth and the cows eat more of the woody plants. These area make great sacrifice areas during times of the year you do not want to destroy your better pastures ie mud season. I have divided my area into paddocks added it to the general rotation this helps with brush contol and the production has been increasing yearly. I have frost seeded my cut areas with ochard grass, red clover, white clover, perennial ryegrass and birdsfoot trefoil.


Pretty much my plan Pat, problem is the thorns, hard on tires and hoofs, hoping to get most of it pushed up before I get the cows in. Ran a few bulls in there this fall, goats and deer follow the dozer along, like your dumping out grain, getting the tips off the trees.


Sweet tractor MS, whole lot funner to look at than actually use though, like my wide front, WD45 with no power steering, make a man out of ya' in a hurry......an old old man.

Bootheel

I know my cows will eat multiflora rose at times of the year. I try keep the rose bushes in check by feeding hay ontop of them. Something about 20 plus cows stomping the plant into the ground and waste hay mulch that the rose bushes do not like. Very Happy It would be nice to have a bulldozer to level ground and remove stumps but in time stumps rot out. Large doses of laying hen manure helps rot out stumps faster and speed grass establishment.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Heated Calving Barns at the Spotted Dog Ranch   Sat Feb 12, 2011 1:36 pm

Rose bushes not so much the problem as locusts are the main culprit, along with plenty of sawbriars. The goats demolish the rose bushes in about ten seconds.
Back to top Go down
Charles



Posts : 57
Join date : 2010-09-24

PostSubject: Re: Heated Calving Barns at the Spotted Dog Ranch   Sat Feb 12, 2011 2:14 pm

Boot, my way of dealing with brush has been to push it into long fairly narrow windrows to maximize grass space between the windrows. Then in about 2 yrs, push the windrow over sideways onto the edge of the grass. Many of the small brushy limbs and stuff will have rotted enough to break off and decompose. Grass will start growing where the windrow had been. In about 2 more years move the windrow a few more feet, more will be rotted and gone. You may have to move it a third time. Soil from tree roots can be spread around and stump holes filled as you move the rotting windrow around. By then only the biggest pieces will be left to haul off or burn.

Charles
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Heated Calving Barns at the Spotted Dog Ranch   Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:44 pm

Thanks for the suggestions Charles. Thawed out here today, hitting almost 60 degrees. Fence was shorted out on a rented farm, had a few cows out free grazin' first thing this mornin'. Feed truck quit me, said the heck with it, saddled up Spot and went for a ride. Seen about 40 deer, sun warmed my face, could not get much better.

Looks like we're in for the season of mud now, hopefully Old Man Winter has moved on to greener pastures. Supposed to stay near 60 all week.


Life is Gooder' today

Bootheel
Back to top Go down
shilow angus



Posts : 57
Join date : 2010-09-24

PostSubject: Re: Heated Calving Barns at the Spotted Dog Ranch   Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:54 pm



Shilow, I left the coal field in 1990, the clean air act of that year shut down mining of high sulfur coal from E. Ohio. New equipment back then was D9L's and first generation D10's. The last few yrs coal has been rebounding around here. Much new activity. I still feel a strong pull back to the big equipment, I had a job offer to run a new D10 last year. Was hard to turn down, but I can retire in 3 yrs from my present job and putter with cattle full time.

Charles [/quote]

Charles I perfer puttering with the cattle over 10 hours on a dozier.....I hope to retire from the coal fields soon....Good Luck to you.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Heated Calving Barns at the Spotted Dog Ranch   Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:43 pm

Beautiful day, 66 degrees, sunny, good day to be a boy, and a Dad.


[img][/img]

The oldest boy and Duck

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

[img][/img]



[img][/img]

[img][/img]


Life is Good

Bootheel
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Heated Calving Barns at the Spotted Dog Ranch   Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:05 pm

Good looking horse and top hand you have, Bootheel!
Back to top Go down
Oldtimer

avatar

Posts : 308
Join date : 2010-10-04
Location : Northeast Montana

PostSubject: Re: Heated Calving Barns at the Spotted Dog Ranch   Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:37 am

Quote :
Beautiful day, 66 degrees, sunny, good day to be a boy, and a Dad.

Yep- enjoy every minute of it- not only the temps- but especially the quality time a Dad can have with a son and a horse.....


I just can't believe all the bare ground everyone has Shocked They tell me that yesterday 30 miles south of me (Missouri Breaks) everything was pretty bare too- except for some big drifts in coulees....But last night we got another blizzard- 3 more inches of snow- 30-40 mph winds- and roads drifted shut everywhere....

Now the temps are plunging back to predicted 20 Belows for next few days....I don't think winter will ever leave...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Heated Calving Barns at the Spotted Dog Ranch   

Back to top Go down
 
Heated Calving Barns at the Spotted Dog Ranch
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Similar topics
-
» Mysterious planet-sized object spotted near mercury
» Strange smoke ring spotted in Pinellas Co.
» U.S.: Russian planes spotted near California, Guam
» Direct vs maternal calving ease
» FREEDOM FIGHTER - WHAT IS THIS TRUCK? MUTATION RESPONSE UNIT TRUCK SPOTTED IN FLORIDA?

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Keeney`s Corner :: farm and ranch life-
Jump to: