Keeney`s Corner

A current and reflective discussion of cattle breeding from outside the registered mainstream

HomeUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Heated Calving Barns at the Spotted Dog Ranch

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Tom D
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Heated Calving Barns at the Spotted Dog Ranch   Sun Feb 06, 2011 4:42 pm

At my age, I am no longer interested in opinions about different kinds of cattle, we need diverse kinds. However, I am interested in discussing genetic principles and ideas of how we can better utilize this diversity.

From LL's first post.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Heated Calving Barns at the Spotted Dog Ranch   Sun Feb 06, 2011 5:00 pm

You are civilized man Tom. I'm not. Everyone who knows me Tom is very SCEERED of me and thats how I like it. I grew up next to the reservation, metro man, I eat boiled owl meat for lunch and foundered horse meat in the evening, it sleeps better, You tamed down boys are easy prey for me so make it a game you try to win, as I get hot fast, and play for keeps metro man.
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Heated Calving Barns at the Spotted Dog Ranch   Sun Feb 06, 2011 5:04 pm

Tom D wrote:
At my age, I am no longer interested in opinions about different kinds of cattle, we need diverse kinds. However, I am interested in discussing genetic principles and ideas of how we can better utilize this diversity.

From LL's first post.
It was very nice of LL to kindly warn me of my impending danger in 2003; then not rub it in too deep, with too many "I told you so`s", when the warnings were realized, and have bulls to help straighten out the mess...but being worse than young and dumb, I was old and dumb, and had to learn it for myself...In pained memory, I have already recounted that experience on another thread, but I fully expect many to re-live that same experience...for after all, there are many aggrandizers, telling how great it all is...maybe it is for some, compared to what they had before...

you don`t need EPD, when you understand type...{or something to that effect}..LL
Back to top Go down
http://www.keeneyscorner.com
Kent Powell

PostSubject: Re: Heated Calving Barns at the Spotted Dog Ranch   Sun Feb 06, 2011 5:09 pm

Back to top Go down
http://powellangus.com

PostSubject: Re: Heated Calving Barns at the Spotted Dog Ranch   Sun Feb 06, 2011 5:12 pm

No worries Tom, no offense taken by me, they were what they were, are what they are, is what they is. I only saw the remnants of those lines left. We did go back and use the 97A bull in about '90, along with a Mountaineer son from a Hackamore cow Dad had in the 70's. He was the first bull here to break a 1000lbs or maybe 1100 at a year for my Dad. We also bought back a linebred Jumbo, 97A by 24B, thru the Shalco cow, at around that time. Not a big cow by any means, but very productive, maybe our own little version of a Blythe, she was around 20 at the time, and a sound and fertile cow. The ones I remember would not have been of the 6807 type, not near as much muscle, they had their own unique look to them, as I remember.

Some rainy day I will have to see if I can find some pics. There has been so little focus of true direction in this industry, I have trouble keeping up with what worked and did not. I know Dad laments the fact he went much past these above mentioned lines, maybe just the ''good old days" syndrome. I am sure they were not perfect, but aa far cry from the worthless exotic, crossed up monsters, created along the way. No need for me to reinvent the wheel, as there are those that have maintained better focus. I would not re-visit these lines even if fire had not destroyed the links to the past here. Far better to cash in on those seeking the rarity, and let them go back 40 years to re-sort the progress.

The historical aspect of the catalogues, and the fashions and vogues of the day provide nothing but further validation to the circular whims of registered-dom, and human nature in general. Now is the time to define a type, and not veer from it, for me.

Personally, Tom, I love the pictures you posted, and those you did not. Bring them up, and take a little heat off me.

Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Heated Calving Barns at the Spotted Dog Ranch   Sun Feb 06, 2011 5:22 pm

All of us have likely heard the maxim, “Confession is good for the soul.” It’s an old Scottish proverb but there is a word missing. The proverb actually reads, “Open confession is good for the soul.”

you won`t ever read any confessions from the aggrandizers....

Papa would do whatever he could
Preach a little gospel
Sell a couple bottles of Doctor Good

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Heated Calving Barns at the Spotted Dog Ranch   Sun Feb 06, 2011 8:28 pm

This cow really bothers me. In my not so humble opinion you're looking at an animal that represents Angus breeding mother nature does not allow. Number 1 reason - fertility. There is absolutely no femininity in this animal and since I have no idea whose cow, what the pedigree, I'm totally free and impartial in my evaluation of this photograph. It delights me to no end to take my shot at her. If she doesn't have at least 2 shots of 6807 I'll eat my hat. If half of the heifer calves out of her breed the first year I'd be surprised, with the other half exhibiting raised crest necks. The bull calves most likely will be deficient scrotally. Mother nature will eradicate this kind of animal in short order no matter how hard so-called breeders try to propagate them through embryo transplant. I tried once and soon learned the hard way. So if any of you young breeders out there think this is the wave of the future, you'd better think again or you won't be in business.
Dennis Voss
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Heated Calving Barns at the Spotted Dog Ranch   Sun Feb 06, 2011 9:11 pm

Dennis Voss wrote:

This cow really bothers me. In my not so humble opinion you're looking at an animal that represents Angus breeding mother nature does not allow. Number 1 reason - fertility. There is absolutely no femininity in this animal and since I have no idea whose cow, what the pedigree, I'm totally free and impartial in my evaluation of this photograph. It delights me to no end to take my shot at her. If she doesn't have at least 2 shots of 6807 I'll eat my hat. If half of the heifer calves out of her breed the first year I'd be surprised, with the other half exhibiting raised crest necks. The bull calves most likely will be deficient scrotally. Mother nature will eradicate this kind of animal in short order no matter how hard so-called breeders try to propagate them through embryo transplant. I tried once and soon learned the hard way. So if any of you young breeders out there think this is the wave of the future, you'd better think again or you won't be in business.
Dennis Voss

Dennis,
here`s a remnant that I have first hand experience with...

pictured as a calf near weaning; her type already evident... want to guess her pregnancy status after 60 days with a bull?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Heated Calving Barns at the Spotted Dog Ranch   Sun Feb 06, 2011 9:34 pm

One thing about getting older, when I say I've been there and done it, I have. I raised two full brothers to 6807. I lined 6807, I wanted him to succeed as much as anyone. But I quit him, and about then Ole Puff, and his comrades took off. I had some on display where Ole Puff got to look at them, he was so green with envy he blew his puffer off!
Back to top Go down
jdeere

PostSubject: Re: Heated Calving Barns at the Spotted Dog Ranch   Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:51 pm

Taylor,
I thought you dispersied your angus herd??? Wheres the Horns???
Back to top Go down
df

PostSubject: Re: Heated Calving Barns at the Spotted Dog Ranch   Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:50 am

Dennis Voss wrote:
One thing about getting older, when I say I've been there and done it, I have. I raised two full brothers to 6807. I lined 6807, I wanted him to succeed as much as anyone. But I quit him, and about then Ole Puff, and his comrades took off. I had some on display where Ole Puff got to look at them, he was so green with envy he blew his puffer off!

Hopefully "Wild Turkey" or "Shocker" were not part of your education!!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Heated Calving Barns at the Spotted Dog Ranch   Mon Feb 07, 2011 1:34 pm

DF, there is no bigger fool in the world then me, How about 4S Ponderosa, Perryville Esso Extra, and more! The pure beauty of selling my bro. a son of Grubbs MacKenzie out of a Baldridge Oscar dau. that weighed 138 lbs. at birth, he uses him on Marchianna hfrs. and gets along fine.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Heated Calving Barns at the Spotted Dog Ranch   Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:25 pm

jdeere, It was but a beautiful dream.

And for the record, I'm a David Brown man. The colors match this country better.

Back to top Go down
Oldtimer

PostSubject: Re: Heated Calving Barns at the Spotted Dog Ranch   Tue Feb 08, 2011 2:30 pm

Taylor Orr wrote:

CAUTION, not line bred. Newborn 1116 grandson out of an 81T/3R9 first calf heifer.

Taylor- if that calf had been born up here this morning- you could have named him Whitney Creek Frosty... 34 Below when the sun came up-- warmed up to a balmy -16 by noon..... Razz

I sure hope all my girls keep their legs crossed for at least another month....I'd at least like to have some bare ground for them to calve on- altho I know they will probably still find the biggest snowdrift..
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Heated Calving Barns at the Spotted Dog Ranch   Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:46 pm

OT, I don't think I could hack it in your country. It is plenty tough enough for me down here in the banana belt. Rapelje was -17 this morning and made it up to zero for the high. Sure makes me fantasize about calving on green grass. As my seedstock aspirations continue to shrivel, I may get there yet.
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Heated Calving Barns at the Spotted Dog Ranch   Wed Feb 09, 2011 4:47 pm

the roads got slick and the wimps cancelled school here today...

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Heated Calving Barns at the Spotted Dog Ranch   Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:32 pm

That is just crazy!!!!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Heated Calving Barns at the Spotted Dog Ranch   Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:49 pm

I was gonna really impress everyone down South with my snow grazing pictures, but them other pics kinda stole my thunder.

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

[img][/img]
Back to top Go down
Double B

PostSubject: Re: Heated Calving Barns at the Spotted Dog Ranch   Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:41 pm

Your lucky, my cows don't have that good of grass in the summer Sad
Back to top Go down
Grassfarmer

PostSubject: Re: Heated Calving Barns at the Spotted Dog Ranch   Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:47 pm

Botheel, me thinks Mikes photo maybe wasn't all it was made out to be - can you imagine the plow it would take to create that kind of sidewall? I like your winter grazing pictures - it reminds me of our early October dustings of snow before winter really sets in. Smile We are on a roller coaster here from -33f up to 39f in a day or two, then back down again for the next few. You would think the change would be tough on cattle but they seem to do better than when it just stays cold.
Back to top Go down
http://www.luingcattle.com
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Heated Calving Barns at the Spotted Dog Ranch   Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:57 pm

Joe,
you gotta toughen up your environment; the cattle just look too dang good...
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Heated Calving Barns at the Spotted Dog Ranch   Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:03 pm

Grassfarmer wrote:
Botheel, me thinks Mikes photo maybe wasn't all it was made out to be - can you imagine the plow it would take to create that kind of sidewall? I like your winter grazing pictures - it reminds me of our early October dustings of snow before winter really sets in. Smile We are on a roller coaster here from -33f up to 39f in a day or two, then back down again for the next few. You would think the change would be tough on cattle but they seem to do better than when it just stays cold.

http://tywkiwdbi.blogspot.com/2010/12/deep-snow-really-deep-snow.html
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Heated Calving Barns at the Spotted Dog Ranch   Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:09 pm

Grassfarmer, I showed that picture of Mike's to my father in law, said he had been there or somewhere similar, drivin' a truck, called it Snesquamee pass or some such, in Washington.

Mike, some look good, some don't, about as tough on 'em as I want to be. With calf prices such, and grass winding down, thinkin' about draggin' out the creep feeders, we'll see.

I kind of figured some of Northerner's would get a good laugh, out of me and my snow grazing. This area folks feed hay cause there isn't any grass in the winter, not 'cause of what is on top of it.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Heated Calving Barns at the Spotted Dog Ranch   Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:52 pm

Do, Do, Do lookin' out my backdoor........well actually the kitchen window in the front.

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

7 of them, best I could tell, diggin' around for acorns
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Heated Calving Barns at the Spotted Dog Ranch   Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:56 pm

Testosterone enhancement therarpy available, for those metrosexuals out there that need a little more power in their lives, and grease in their fingernails.

[img][/img]

Not responcible for hearing loss or finally growing a set.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Heated Calving Barns at the Spotted Dog Ranch   

Back to top Go down

Heated Calving Barns at the Spotted Dog Ranch
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next