Keeney`s Corner

A current and reflective discussion of cattle breeding from outside the registered mainstream

HomeUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

The near perfect bull

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
EddieM

PostSubject: The near perfect bull   Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:01 pm

PatB wrote:
I was talking with a good friend and we discussed replacement selection criteria. My order for evaluating potential replacements.

1. visual appraisal - feet, legs overall structure and appearance
2. docility
3. pedigree - how has the family and siblings done.
4. epd and genomics

Pat, you jumped the gun - a false start - a swing and a miss

The real #1 - You know the dam has proven that she successfully fits into your management and environment
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: The near perfect bull   Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:31 pm

test

Back to top Go down
http://www.keeneyscorner.com
EddieM

PostSubject: Re: The near perfect bull   Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:22 am

Lot of guessing goes on about why enhanced numbers rose or fell. Nobody will ever really care but will the old cattle that have been sacrificed for negative basis for younger cattle to display greatness. But all for science and now enhanced science so it is better than the original science. I always thought science was based on knowns and math was based on a base 10 system, except in computers where 1 and 2 are enough to make the world go round.

So the new numbers are like SAT, GRE and any other aptitude, skills or interest testing that are showing ability without looking at the functional applications. Just because little Johnny can score high on college placement testing does not mean that he will ever achieve or be a useful citizen. Yet it is scientific.

The new testing, and I steal the phrase from a email of a friend from this week, is "a second chance to make a good first impression". Same cows, same data on farm but now with new numbers. Isn't that like changing the box for the eye appeal of the same old product inside the packaging? Now who would fall for that trick .... AGAIN?

The "good first impression" for me is that fertility/maternal is 10 times more important in dollars than terminal traits in cattle. I hope those numbers are better for the pointy headed number makers.
Back to top Go down
EddieM

PostSubject: Re: The near perfect bull   Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:05 pm

They say that silence is golden. I'd believe that if we compare silence to the exciting topic of Angus mathematics, the "new math", the now improved cows and bulls that were mediocre just last week. Some of this sounds like they changed the scores of last season's high school football games so that the winner is now the loser and the loser is now supreme. 50% win and 50% lose: just a swap. Our cows never got a chance to go to grade school, much less study algebra. Numbers come hard around here. I always remember Jerry Clower's story of a sort of slow college buddy who somehow, despite all mental odds, became a millionaire with a steak house. On the visit the guy told Jerry it had been pretty simple: he bought a steak for $1, cooked it and sold if for $5 and he was happy enough with 5% profit! Why get excited over a few decimal points?

The buzz over new numbers is a respite from the discussions of low fertility, large mature weights, poor dispositions, bad feet and legs, poor udders, ... but the number fad will soon fade and it will be the nose to the grindstone soon enough and trying to fix the same old problems.

I did happen to see the cows today while the heat index was mid 90's and I was looking for shade and they were, too. Even the sheep had moved back to shade for a bit. Numbers or no numbers - they looked fine to me. A missed opportunity? After dealing with the results of great AI bulls over the years as samples and trying to chase the un-catchable dream for a while, I doubt that I did or will miss much. Just skipped spending on another fad. I'd rather have my cow numbers in cash than in moving targets.
Back to top Go down
EddieM

PostSubject: Re: The near perfect bull   Today at 1:36 pm

Disadvantaged poster wrote:
I'll take a crack at a couple of the bulls listed .

Its tough to find a bloodline that's maternally sound and yet above average in all the terminal traits .
Idea Idea Idea Idea So, experience tells the tale.

EPDs highlight an individual animal while average folks, way deep down in their being, want a herd of good animals and not ONE good animal. Yet EPDs drive the boat and not selection for useful traits. Maybe it allows one or a few great animals in any sell so that greatness can have an inflated value.

Then go back to the quote: is the problem the "bloodline"? How many of the top bulls were really linebred or could be seen as a "bloodline"? What was each one's IBC%. Nothing to write home about, I guess, even if (some?) EXT offspring expressed disposition as if he was the original 31. Who wants that taint? Not me.

So, even in the world of other thoughts, Larry's plan holds up to be proven by experience: you can only select for so much without selecting against something else you like. Lines work for the limited range of selection because too much selection leads to a jumbled mess and decades of regret over using formerly great bulls that are now dregs in the bottom of the tea glass.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The near perfect bull   

Back to top Go down

The near perfect bull
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1