Keeney`s Corner

A current and reflective discussion of cattle breeding from outside the registered mainstream

HomeUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Thought provoking excerpts

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
outsidethebox

PostSubject: Re: Thought provoking excerpts   Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:22 am

MKeeney wrote:
cooperation...imagination...everybody believes in money...the new useless class of people... ...by the author of Sapiens; A Brief History of Humankind {damned vegan}
truth always amuses more than fiction

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=yuval+noah+harari&view=detail&mid=FC39432FA653D3C62E45FC39432FA653D3C62E45&FORM=VIRE

LIKE!!!
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Thought provoking excerpts   Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:24 am

wheat domesticated man ...instead of vice versa... Sapiens...
Back to top Go down
http://www.keeneyscorner.com
Mean Spirit

PostSubject: Re: Thought provoking excerpts   Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:40 am

That's good stuff.

Did you read Sapiens Mike? Maybe I need to order that one...
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Thought provoking excerpts   Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:18 am

My bedtime listening...which means it takes a while...good stuff...man has caused more extinction than climate changed
Back to top Go down
EddieM

PostSubject: Re: Thought provoking excerpts   Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:10 pm

MKeeney wrote:
My bedtime listening...which means it takes a while...good stuff...man has caused more extinction than climate changed
I really miss wolves, malaria, screw worms and the good old days.
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Thought provoking excerpts   Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:17 pm

Cynics don't build empires...Sapiens
Back to top Go down
RobertMac

PostSubject: Re: Thought provoking excerpts   Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:58 pm

I really miss dinosaurs...damn SUVs
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Thought provoking excerpts   Sat Mar 11, 2017 12:46 am

“The capitalist and consumerist ethics are two sides of the same coin, a merger of two commandments. The supreme commandment of the rich is ‘Invest!’ The supreme commandment of the rest of us is ‘Buy!’ The capitalist–consumerist ethic is revolutionary in another respect. Most previous ethical systems presented people with a pretty tough deal. They were promised paradise, but only if they cultivated compassion and tolerance, overcame craving and anger, and restrained their selfish interests. This was too tough for most. The history of ethics is a sad tale of wonderful ideals that nobody can live up to. Most Christians did not imitate Christ, most Buddhists failed to follow Buddha, and most Confucians would have caused Confucius a temper tantrum. In contrast, most people today successfully live up to the capitalist–consumerist ideal. The new ethic promises paradise on condition that the rich remain greedy and spend their time making more money and that the masses give free reign to their cravings and passions and buy more and more. This is the first religion in history whose followers actually do what they are asked to do. How though do we know that we'll really get paradise in return? We've seen it on television.”
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Thought provoking excerpts   Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:48 am

The best quotes have personal application...this one for KC...

“in order to change an existing imagined order, we must first believe in an alternative imagined order.”
― Yuval Noah Harari, Sapiens: A Brief History of Humankind
Back to top Go down
EddieM

PostSubject: Re: Thought provoking excerpts   Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:48 am

MKeeney wrote:
The best quotes have personal application...this one for KC...

“in order to change an existing imagined order, we must first believe in an alternative imagined order.”

Newspaper comics hold more truth than the news and commentaries and parallel a lot of deeper and more meaningful thoughts. Yesterday in Frank and Ernest, Frank said to two ladies as Ernest gazed at the night sky, "Ernie has a theory that stars are just holes in a vast expanse of ink". The perspective was not incorrect. The theory matched the appearance just as the original backdrop for Star Wars scenes was black sheets with pricked holes to allow light to shine through. But deeper knowledge reveals either the solidity of the theory or the foolishness of the opinion.
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Thought provoking excerpts   Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:53 am

in a few hundred years, sapiens may no longer die... think of all the problems that is going to cause !!!
MK, obviously easy calving heifer bulls create lots of idle time to think Smile
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Thought provoking excerpts   Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:20 pm

too funny and too pertinent...

“In the wake of the Cognitive Revolution, gossip helped Homo sapiens to form larger and more stable bands. But even gossip has its limits. Sociological research has shown that the maximum ‘natural’ size of a group bonded by gossip is about 150 individuals. Most people can neither intimately know, nor gossip effectively about, more than 150 human beings.”
Back to top Go down
EddieM

PostSubject: Re: Thought provoking excerpts   Sun Mar 12, 2017 7:51 am

MKeeney wrote:
too funny and too pertinent...

“In the wake of the Cognitive Revolution, gossip helped Homo sapiens to form larger and more stable bands. But even gossip has its limits. Sociological research has shown that the maximum ‘natural’ size of a group bonded by gossip is about 150 individuals. Most people can neither intimately know, nor gossip effectively about, more than 150 human beings.”
He must be reading the Dead Sea scrolls to know all of that.
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Thought provoking excerpts   Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:44 am

and you can apply this to bulls as well and the difficulty of selling reality...

“If happiness is determined by expectations, then two pillars of our society – mass media and the advertising industry – may unwittingly be depleting the globe’s reservoirs of contentment. If you were an eighteen-year-old youth in a small village 5,000 years ago you’d probably think you were good-looking because there were only fifty other men in your village and most of them were either old, scarred and wrinkled, or still little kids. But if you are a teenager today you are a lot more likely to feel inadequate. Even if the other guys at school are an ugly lot, you don’t measure yourself against them but against the movie stars, athletes and supermodels you see all day on television, Facebook and giant billboards.”
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Thought provoking excerpts   Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:11 am

1950 maybe not so much on rich/poor, but increasingly so since; count me among the recipients of born poor, but parents paved the road to easy street; at least, I wasn`t a hindrance ...taught and learned about race are two different things; I suspect he is aware of that ...or maybe he`s never been to my community
of God pretending people that have now found their voice...

“Most people claim that their social hierarchy is natural and just, while those of other societies are based on false and ridiculous criteria. Modern Westerners are taught to scoff at the idea of racial hierarchy. They are shocked by laws prohibiting blacks to live in white neighbourhoods, or to study in white schools, or to be treated in white hospitals. But the hierarchy of rich and poor – which mandates that rich people live in separate and more luxurious neighbourhoods, study in separate and more prestigious schools, and receive medical treatment in separate and better-equipped facilities – seems perfectly sensible to many Americans and Europeans. Yet it’s a proven fact that most rich people are rich for the simple reason that they were born into a rich family, while most poor people will remain poor throughout their lives simply because they were born into a poor family.
Yuval Noah Harari, Sapiens: A Brief History of Humankind
Back to top Go down
EddieM

PostSubject: Re: Thought provoking excerpts   Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:26 am

MKeeney wrote:
1950 maybe not so much on rich/poor, but increasingly so since; count me among the recipients of born poor, but parents paved the road to easy street; at least, I wasn`t a hindrance ...taught and learned about race are two different things; I suspect he is aware of that ...or maybe he`s never been to my community

“Most people claim that their social hierarchy is natural and just, while those of other societies are based on false and ridiculous criteria. Modern Westerners are taught to scoff at the idea of racial hierarchy. They are shocked by laws prohibiting blacks to live in white neighbourhoods, or to study in white schools, or to be treated in white hospitals. But the hierarchy of rich and poor – which mandates that rich people live in separate and more luxurious neighbourhoods, study in separate and more prestigious schools, and receive medical treatment in separate and better-equipped facilities – seems perfectly sensible to many Americans and Europeans. Yet it’s a proven fact that most rich people are rich for the simple reason that they were born into a rich family, while most poor people will remain poor throughout their lives simply because they were born into a poor family.
Would like to see his proof ... or not.
Back to top Go down
larkota

PostSubject: Re: Thought provoking excerpts   Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:41 pm

MKeeney wrote:

is rich a number or state of mind? spent last weekend with both daughters, 1 son in law, and 3 grandsons....I am rich.
think there is a difference between wealth and rich.
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Thought provoking excerpts   Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:16 pm

“Telling effective stories is not easy. The difficulty lies not in telling the story, but in convincing everyone else to believe it.”
Back to top Go down
EddieM

PostSubject: Re: Thought provoking excerpts   Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:50 am

MKeeney wrote:
“Telling effective stories is not easy. The difficulty lies not in telling the story, but in convincing everyone else to believe it.”
That means that Hitler was a great leader.
Back to top Go down
Mean Spirit

PostSubject: Re: Thought provoking excerpts   Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:24 am

EddieM wrote:
MKeeney wrote:

Really? I think it actually just means Hitler was an effective story teller... though I guess he probably was a pretty effective leader.
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Thought provoking excerpts   Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:17 pm

Mean Spirit wrote:
EddieM wrote:
MKeeney wrote:

Really?  I think it actually just means Hitler was an effective story teller... though I guess he probably was a pretty effective leader.  

his influence lives on today with pres bannon and vp miller...

“Christians and Muslims who could not agree on religious beliefs could nevertheless agree on a monetary belief, because whereas religion asks us
to believe in something, money asks us to believe that other people believe in something.” Sapiens
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Thought provoking excerpts   Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:48 pm

summary...no graph runs in a straight upward line for 2000 years, but the trend is one world...I`ll put my money on the money Very Happy

The first millennium BC witnessed the appearance of three potentially universal orders, whose devotees could for the first time imagine the entire world and the entire human race as a single unit governed by a single set of laws. Everyone was 'us', at least potentially. There was no longer 'them'. The first universal order to appear was economic: the monetary order. The second universal order was political: the imperial order. The third universal order was religious: the order of universal religions such as Buddhism, Christianity, and Islam.
Merchants, conquerors, and prophets were the first people who managed to transcend the binary evolutionary division, 'us vs them', and to foresee the potential unity of humankind. For the merchants, the entire world was a single market and all humans were potential customers. The tried to establish an economic order that would apply to all, everywhere. For the conquerors, the entire world was a single empire and all humans were potential subjects, and for the prophets, the entire world held a single truth and all humans were potential believers. They too tried to establish an order that would be applicable for everyone everywhere.
Back to top Go down
EddieM

PostSubject: Re: Thought provoking excerpts   Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:03 pm

MKeeney wrote:
summary...no graph runs in a straight upward line for 2000 years, but the trend is one world...I`ll put my money on the money  Very Happy

The first millennium BC witnessed the appearance of three potentially universal orders, whose devotees could for the first time imagine the entire world and the entire human race as a single unit governed by a single set of laws. Everyone was 'us', at least potentially. There was no longer 'them'. The first universal order to appear was economic: the monetary order. The second universal order was political: the imperial order. The third universal order was religious: the order of universal religions such as Buddhism, Christianity, and Islam.
Merchants, conquerors, and prophets were the first people who managed to transcend the binary evolutionary division, 'us vs them', and to foresee the potential unity of humankind. For the merchants, the entire world was a single market and all humans were potential customers. The tried to establish an economic order that would apply to all, everywhere. For the conquerors, the entire world was a single empire and all humans were potential subjects, and for the prophets, the entire world held a single truth and all humans were potential believers. They too tried to establish an order that would be applicable for everyone everywhere.
One world order: nothing new, it seems.
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Thought provoking excerpts   Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:53 pm

another obvious point...

“Most mammals emerge from the womb like glazed earthenware emerging from a kiln – any attempt at remoulding will only scratch or break them. Humans emerge from the womb like molten glass from a furnace. They can be spun, stretched and shaped with a surprising degree of freedom.”

Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Thought provoking excerpts   Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:55 am

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Thought provoking excerpts   

Back to top Go down

Thought provoking excerpts