Keeney`s Corner

A current and reflective discussion of cattle breeding from outside the registered mainstream

HomeUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Thought provoking excerpts

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Thought provoking excerpts   Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:30 am

Even the fundamentalists are getting on board. There is a rare day of harmony each year in Jerusalem. It is the occasion of the Gay Pride Parade.
It unifies Muslims, Christians and Jews that they are all against it! They all say, "It hurts our feelings."
They appeal to their feelings, not to any commandments.
Back to top Go down
http://www.keeneyscorner.com
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Thought provoking excerpts   Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:42 pm

cattle breeding made easy Smile

Humanist education? Think for yourself. In the past, the Bible was offered as the one source for all knowledge. Now our own thoughts and feelings are most important when it comes to what we should learn.
End of Humanism? Algorithms know you better than you know yourself?
But all good things must come to an end. The very science that Humanism supported has come to show that the basic principles of Humanism are based on false concepts. In particular, free will. Feelings are biochemical processes. Given enough data, an external entity can understand my feelings and make better decisions for me than I can!
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Thought provoking excerpts   Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:32 pm

People are now exposed to more information than ever before, provided both by technology and by increasing access to every level of education. These societal gains, however, have also helped fuel a surge in narcissistic and misguided intellectual egalitarianism that has crippled informed debates on any number of issues. Today, everyone knows everything: with only a quick trip through WebMD or Wikipedia, average citizens believe themselves to be on an equal intellectual footing with doctors and diplomats. All voices, even the most ridiculous, demand to be taken with equal seriousness, and any claim to the contrary is dismissed as undemocratic elitism.

As Tom Nichols shows in The Death of Expertise, this rejection of experts has occurred for many reasons, including the openness of the internet, the emergence of a customer satisfaction model in higher education, and the transformation of the news industry into a 24-hour entertainment machine. Paradoxically, the increasingly democratic dissemination of information, rather than producing an educated public, has instead created an army of ill-informed and angry citizens who denounce intellectual achievement.

Nichols has deeper concerns than the current rejection of expertise and learning, noting that when ordinary citizens believe that no one knows more than anyone else, democratic institutions themselves are in danger of falling either to populism or to technocracy-or in the worst case, a combination of both. The Death of Expertise is not only an exploration of a dangerous phenomenon but also a warning about the stability and survival of modern democracy in the Information Age.

apply "this rejection of experts" to cattle breeding...does it apply, or have we heard so much bullshit from those with a very direct personal interest in the outcome?
Back to top Go down
outsidethebox

PostSubject: Re: Thought provoking excerpts   Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:00 am

Indeed, "we have met the enemy and he is us". Despite our collective intelligence-and I do believe it is quite impressive, wisdom surely evades us.
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Thought provoking excerpts   Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:27 am

We need to calculate probabilities to make our decisions. He gives an example of a baboon who sees a banana tree with bananas on it. But beyond that is a lion. The baboon will starve if it does not get the bananas. But it will die if the lion gets to it first. It needs data. Distances to bananas and lion. Ripeness of the bananas. Its speed. The lion's speed. Is the lion awake? Is it hungry?
The entire baboon's body and brain are the calculator. But it does not consciously do a calculation. The answer will appear as a feeling. The baboon will feel courage if the answer is to go for the bananas. Or fear if the answer is that the risk is too high.
Up until now no one else could know me better than I do. Humanism made sense. The KGB tried to know you by watching your every move. But it did not have biological understanding nor computing power.

tis funny how many times I`ve heard or said "I kinda got a feeling"..."he got his feelings hurt"
and then there was

I can't stop this feeling
I'm hooked on a feeling
I'm high on believing

back to death of expertise in cattle breeding...there has to be experts, before there can be death of...right? I can`t name an expert since it is an inexact "science"...
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Thought provoking excerpts   Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:30 am

Now you can go to Amazon's virtual bookstore. They have statistics on you and your book choices. They will recommend three books. But Amazon needs more data on you. As you read a book on Kindle, Kindle is reading you! Which pages you read fast and slow. Where you stop. Whether you don't come back. But even this is still primitive. It is crucial to get biometric data.

Face recognition can tell if you are laughing, crying or angry. But it is still primitive. It doesn't get inside the body. We will have biometric sensors on or in the body. For blood pressure and brain activity. When you read War and Peace you have forgotten most of it by the end! But Amazon remembers.
Back to top Go down
EddieM

PostSubject: Re: Thought provoking excerpts   Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:37 am

MKeeney wrote:
Now you can go to Amazon's virtual bookstore. They have statistics on you and your book choices. They will recommend three books. But Amazon needs more data on you. As you read a book on Kindle, Kindle is reading you! Which pages you read fast and slow. Where you stop. Whether you don't come back. But even this is still primitive. It is crucial to get biometric data.

Face recognition can tell if you are laughing, crying or angry. But it is still primitive. It doesn't get inside the body. We will have biometric sensors on or in the body. For blood pressure and brain activity. When you read War and Peace you have forgotten most of it by the end! But Amazon remembers.
This site is built on the death of expertise. EPDs, current researchers, scientific and economic data have been trumped here repeatedly for phenotype, visualizing the past, and hope in tight breeding or proper outcrosses with total disregard for outside information. So once the breeding system is in place, no data is needed; just transfer animals to a new location for the repeat of success.

Quote :
Feelings are biochemical processes.
Fellow in England yesterday died and killed and hurt many because of biochemical processes. He would not be guilty if we can blame his environment, chemical dependence, the influence of others and now we really know that he was unable to control his actions because he was overcome by biochemical processes. Makes sense to me.
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Thought provoking excerpts   Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:45 pm

MKeeney wrote:

On Thursday, the Senate voted along party lines, 50-48, to scrap those privacy rules, making it easier for broadband providers to share browsing history information about their customers.
Internet companies, like Facebook and Google, and internet service providers, like Verizon and AT&T, are likely pleased with the decision. The Obama-era F.C.C. ruling of last October was widely disliked by industry leaders, and less red tape would make it easier for companies to use consumers’ browsing history to help target more ads. Current F.C.C. rules allow Web sites to track your behavior and sell information about you to ad-targeting companies, but Internet service providers, under the Obama-era rules, still had to get your permission before they could do the same. That puts I.S.P.s at a disadvantage to other tech companies, they argue, when it comes to competing for ad dollars, and worries platforms like Facebook and Google, which reportedly see the rule as opening the door to further regulations in the consumer data area.

Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Thought provoking excerpts   Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:01 am

I suppose I may have over-estimated the simplicity of a truer-line type system...

The Dunning–Kruger effect is a cognitive bias in which low-ability individuals suffer from illusory superiority, mistakenly assessing their ability as much higher than it really is. Psychologists David Dunning and Justin Kruger attributed this bias to a metacognitive incapacity, on the part of those with low ability, to recognize their ineptitude and evaluate their competence accurately. Their research also suggests corollaries: high-ability individuals may underestimate their relative competence and may erroneously assume that tasks which are easy for them are also easy for others.[1]
Dunning and Kruger have postulated that the effect is the result of internal illusion in those of low ability, and external misperception in those of high ability: "The miscalibration of the incompetent stems from an error about the self, whereas the miscalibration of the highly competent stems from an error about others."[1]
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Thought provoking excerpts   Sat Mar 25, 2017 8:25 am

review of the death of expertise...

While the internet has allowed more people more access to more information than ever before, it has also given them the illusion of knowledge when in fact they are drowning in data and cherry-picking what they choose to read. Given an inexhaustible buffet of facts, rumors, lies, serious analysis, crackpot speculation and outright propaganda to browse online, it becomes easy for one to succumb to “confirmation bias” — the tendency, as Nichols puts it, “to look for information that only confirms what we believe, to accept facts that only strengthen our preferred explanations, and to dismiss data that challenge what we accept as truth.”

Citizens of all political persuasions (not to mention members of the Trump administration) can increasingly live in their own news media bubbles, consuming only views similar to their own. When confronted with hard evidence that they are wrong, many will simply double down on their original assertions. “This is the ‘backfire effect,’” Nichols writes, “in which people redouble their efforts to keep their own internal narrative consistent, no matter how clear the indications that they’re wrong.” As a result, extreme views are amplified online, just as fake news and propaganda easily go viral.

Scientists generally agree that no theory is 100 percent correct. Thus, the real test of knowledge is not truth, but utility... Sapiens, A Brief History of Mankind

Does what you read have utility or simply unite you to whatever?

Back to top Go down
EddieM

PostSubject: Re: Thought provoking excerpts   Sat Mar 25, 2017 1:43 pm

MKeeney wrote:
review of the death of expertise...

While the internet has allowed more people more access to more information than ever before, it has also given them the illusion of knowledge when in fact they are drowning in data and cherry-picking what they choose to read. Given an inexhaustible buffet of facts, rumors, lies, serious analysis, crackpot speculation and outright propaganda to browse online, it becomes easy for one to succumb to “confirmation bias” — the tendency, as Nichols puts it, “to look for information that only confirms what we believe, to accept facts that only strengthen our preferred explanations, and to dismiss data that challenge what we accept as truth.”

Citizens of all political persuasions (not to mention members of the Trump administration) can increasingly live in their own news media bubbles, consuming only views similar to their own. When confronted with hard evidence that they are wrong, many will simply double down on their original assertions. “This is the ‘backfire effect,’” Nichols writes, “in which people redouble their efforts to keep their own internal narrative consistent, no matter how clear the indications that they’re wrong.” As a result, extreme views are amplified online, just as fake news and propaganda easily go viral.

Scientists generally agree that no theory is 100 percent correct. Thus, the real test of knowledge is not truth, but utility... Sapiens, A Brief History of Mankind

Does what you read have utility or simply unite you to whatever?
Do these noted authors have expertise or, like Dunning and Kruger, just think that they do? And how would one tell the difference? Chevrolet, Ford, Kia, .. all cars but good, better and best ...necessary ... if you all get to the place you intend to arrive? Sometimes one must remember the adage, "Perish or publish" from academia or that articles are sold by the inch and books sell per unit. Experts used to have slide sets and be 100 miles from home. I guess it is an ipad or something electronic and so many kilometers to be mod, hip, with it, connected, world without borders, proper conversion units or whatever term rules the generation. Or computer articles.
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Thought provoking excerpts   Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:34 am

why would any of these authors have less expertise than Matthew, Mark, John etc or some hermit hallucinating in a cave instead of a pickle barrel? they are, after all, 2000 years closer to the present, absent of 7 language translations, and 200 denominational interpretations ...

because they aren't promising you a miracle?...and neither is a tru-line approach...

Back to top Go down
EddieM

PostSubject: Re: Thought provoking excerpts   Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:55 am

MKeeney wrote:
why would any of these authors have less expertise than Matthew, Mark,  John etc or some hermit hallucinating in a cave instead of a pickle barrel? they are, after all, 2000 years closer to the present, absent of 7 language translations, and 200 denominational interpretations ...

because they aren't promising you a miracle?...and neither is a tru-line approach...

Quote :
why would any of these authors have less expertise
Or more or any? I never made the claim that anybody from Mr. Dill Pickle to Mr. "How to know or not know an expert" had any expertise. If you want to take advice from a bum on the street, a guy in a barrel ready to make a trip over Niagara Falls or an assumer of knowledge on the internet; your call and your future. Have at it.

Quote :
2000 years closer to the present, absent of 7 language translations, and 200 denominational interpretations ...
And still being useful to many and disputed heavily as well. Must either be useful or hated to a large degree if it is the benchmark for both pro and con. Like the "ideal cow".

Eddie, Here a moo there a moo, every where a moo moo
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Thought provoking excerpts   Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:22 am

Money, money, money
Must be funny
In the rich man's world
Money, money, money
Always sunny
In the rich man's world
Aha, aha
All the things I could do
If I had a little money
It's a rich man's world...
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Thought provoking excerpts   Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:35 am

I think it ironic that we write on our money "in god we trust"...BUT

if large groups of beef producers will routinely spend $10,000 for bulls, they surely TRUST numbered Angus more...

I wouldn`t encourage anyone to breed cattle in truer-line fashion if miracles and millions are an objective...

When in Rome...

Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Thought provoking excerpts   Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:27 am

Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Thought provoking excerpts   Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:18 pm

Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Thought provoking excerpts   Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:12 am

“Everything worthwhile in life is won through surmounting the associated negative experience. Any attempt to escape
the negative, to avoid it or quash it or silence it, only backfires. The avoidance of suffering is a form of suffering. The
avoidance of struggle is a struggle. The denial of failure is a failure. Hiding what is shameful is itself a form of shame.
Pain is an inextricable thread in the fabric of life, and to tear it out is not only impossible, but destructive: attempting
to tear it out unravels everything else with it. To try to avoid pain is to give too many fucks about pain. In contrast, if
you’re able to not give a fuck about the pain, you become unstoppable." ~~~~ Mark Manson”
― Mark Manson, The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck: A Counterintuitive Approach to Living a Good Life
Back to top Go down
EddieM

PostSubject: Re: Thought provoking excerpts   Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:57 am

You might be a redneck if you transport your pet to the Vet's office in a Havahart trap.
Back to top Go down
jonken

PostSubject: Re: Thought provoking excerpts   Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:51 pm

Most things seem to circle back to religion so I'll share this hilarious , but all too often ,true video here. -Kendra

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=I2FrYWub95o
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Thought provoking excerpts   Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:45 pm

jonken wrote:
Most things seem to circle back to religion so I'll share this hilarious , but all too often ,true video here.  -Kendra

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=I2FrYWub95o

too funny...guess I`ll spend an audible credit on Tribe though it be woefully short book...

Combining history, psychology, and anthropology, Tribe explores what we can learn from tribal societies about loyalty, belonging, and the eternal human quest for meaning. It explains the irony that - for many veterans as well as civilians - war feels better than peace, adversity can turn out to be a blessing, and disasters are sometimes remembered more fondly than weddings or tropical vacations. Tribe explains why we are stronger when we come together and how that can be achieved even in today's divided world.
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Thought provoking excerpts   Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:41 pm

eddie wrote:
This site is built on the death of expertise.  EPDs, current researchers, scientific and economic data have been trumped here repeatedly for phenotype, visualizing the past, and hope in tight breeding or proper outcrosses with total disregard for outside information.  So once the breeding system is in place, no data is needed; just transfer animals to a new location for the repeat of success.

here is everyone`s opportunity to put your money on expertise ; a lot less talk and a little more action; put some money where the mouth is...well, maybe quite a lot of action and money too...but hell, it`s worth it; the experts say so...go ahead; make my day; and while you`re at it, make the experts day as well...

http://www.becktonredangus.com/Assets/2017-BecktonCatalog_LR.pdf
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Thought provoking excerpts   Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:03 am

todays poetry...the billy graham rule in verse...

Mike Pence, an adult who is grown,
Cannot sit with women alone.
However, he can
Stand by an old man
Whose fondness for groping is known.
Back to top Go down
EddieM

PostSubject: Re: Thought provoking excerpts   Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:22 am

MKeeney wrote:
eddie wrote:
This site is built on the death of expertise.  EPDs, current researchers, scientific and economic data have been trumped here repeatedly for phenotype, visualizing the past, and hope in tight breeding or proper outcrosses with total disregard for outside information.  So once the breeding system is in place, no data is needed; just transfer animals to a new location for the repeat of success.

here is everyone`s opportunity to put your money on expertise ;  a lot less talk and a little more action; put some money where the mouth is...well, maybe quite a lot of action and money too...but hell, it`s worth it; the experts say so...go ahead; make my day; and while you`re at it, make the experts day as well...

http://www.becktonredangus.com/Assets/2017-BecktonCatalog_LR.pdf
Rather see green with black instead of red with sale's dread.
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Thought provoking excerpts   Sun Apr 02, 2017 3:47 am

Can you just think/thank golf ? Lexi takes a two shot lead into the last round today of the first major of the year...Linda and I can agree on some things; Lexi is sure one of them...

Our soon to be teenage god-daughter is another

what a sad conclusion...the rules of golf are ruining the game of golf...kinda like registered cattle breeders ruining cattle Smile

Well it was an emotional day here for me, first off I do want to say what I had done was 100% not intentional at all I didn't realize I had done that. I want to say thank you to all the sponsors, volunteers and Mission Hills for making this week possible at the @anainspiration ! Also to the fans out there, words can't describe what you being there for me, meant to me. You helped me push thru those last holes so thank you for always believing in me. A big thanks to my caddy as well for always staying positive and being there for me when it got tough. I played some great golf so definitely a lot of positives to take from the week. Time for a very needed 3 weeks off now. Thank you everybody
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Thought provoking excerpts   

Back to top Go down

Thought provoking excerpts
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 5 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next