Keeney`s Corner

A current and reflective discussion of cattle breeding from outside the registered mainstream

HomeUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Bonsma - which parts do you let slide?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
AuthorMessage
pukerimu

PostSubject: Re: Bonsma - which parts do you let slide?   Wed Oct 19, 2016 7:55 pm

I wonder what would be made of the Australian benchmarking project which is in it's 7th cohort now when I see included in this years intake a NZ bull that was sold as an R2 at our National sale and of whom I have seen photographic evidence of shocking foot problems as an R3. Accepting a bull with obvious conformational defects - actually sired by the bull that had "knee surgery" to repair his hock (also as a very young bull) - does nothing for the credibility of a benchmarking project - one of the most economic traits is the ability to walk, eat, breed and live beyond three years old without intervention .............. surely?? I think on this matter Mr Bonsma and I would be in complete agreement Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
http://www.mtmableangus.co.nz
Mean Spirit

PostSubject: Re: Bonsma - which parts do you let slide?   Thu Oct 20, 2016 8:36 am

pukerimu wrote:
I wonder what would be made of the Australian benchmarking project which is in it's 7th cohort now when I see included in this years intake a NZ bull that was sold as an R2 at our National sale and of whom I have seen photographic evidence of shocking foot problems as an R3.  Accepting a bull with obvious conformational defects - actually sired by the bull that had "knee surgery" to repair his hock (also as a very young bull) - does nothing for the credibility of a benchmarking project - one of the most economic traits is the ability to walk, eat, breed and live beyond three years old without intervention .............. surely??  I think on this matter Mr Bonsma and I would be in complete agreement Twisted Evil

I was curious, so I studied on this. It actually looks like all of the New Zealand bulls in the project are sired by the same bull, if I'm reading this table and the related links properly. He must be very popular.
http://abri.une.edu.au/online/cgi-bin/i4.dll?1=22342A3D&2=2928&3=56&5=2B3C2B3C3A&11=5F505E5A
Back to top Go down
EddieM

PostSubject: Re: Bonsma - which parts do you let slide?   Thu Oct 20, 2016 1:45 pm

Quote :
one of the most economic traits is the ability to walk, eat, breed and live beyond three years old without intervention .............. surely??
Nah-h-h, just take a picture of him standing in deep grass or hay, keep him comfortable in a collection center and just sell semen to your heart's content. Nothing new under the sun. With fast turn over of generations time is not so important.
Back to top Go down
pukerimu

PostSubject: Re: Bonsma - which parts do you let slide?   Thu Oct 20, 2016 3:11 pm

http://abri.une.edu.au/online/cgi-bin/i4.dll?1=22342A3D&2=2928&3=56&5=2B3C2B3C3A&8=5254&9=5B515D5F&11=5F505E5A

Those animals that have NZE sire are actually Australian bred - yes the Matauri Reality bull is very popular over there, interesting not so much in NZ - perhaps that will change when his progeny start coming through the benchmarking project - will be very interesting to see how he does. The crock of rubbish bull I am speaking of is the only one with a NZE registration number but he is sired by an Australian bull - go figure??!!!

http://www.weeklytimesnow.com.au/agribusiness/cattle/angus-bull-te-mania-emperor-e343-underwent-knee-surgery-to-repair-an-acl-injury/story-fnkeqfz1-1226851080032

Here is his sire - Eddie you hit the nail on the head - they have continued to sell semen from this conformational challenged individual - hopefully no one is dumb enough to actually use it.
Back to top Go down
http://www.mtmableangus.co.nz
RobertMac

PostSubject: Re: Bonsma - which parts do you let slide?   Thu Oct 20, 2016 7:01 pm

"It is also clear that breeding livestock on computerized data without visual appraisal is a fallacy. For instance, so many bulls which show tremendous growth potential at performance testing centers have hypoplastic (defective or incomplete) testicles: the subfertile animal has tremendous growth potential."

Dr. Bonsma
Back to top Go down
EddieM

PostSubject: Re: Bonsma - which parts do you let slide?   Wed Nov 02, 2016 9:34 am

Saw a post on another cattle chat site called "software disease". Seems they were discussing cattle eating plastic bags, hay twine, hay netting, plastic bottles. Jealousy set in because I could never got ours to eat any of that stuff. Anyhow, I thought it was going to be a discussion of a compulsion of breeders who over use EPDs and computer programs to tell them how to breed cattle. But as usual, I was wrong again.

Saw over on Disadvantaged Cattle that they are discussing "reach and drive". Short bulls with long bodies, tall bulls with straight legs, wrong shoulder angles, blah, blah, blah. They need a read of Bonsma to give them some data as compared to faulty opinions. You would think that a group of extinguished and incompetent types as are left there would have one copy of the lectures or a dusty old book among them. But I guess it is just 4 color sale catalogs, a few coloring books and some old Three Stooges DVDs in the personal libraries.

What is more elementary than proper structure in livestock to now be rehashing it like you found out something new or different.
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Bonsma - which parts do you let slide?   Sun Nov 20, 2016 9:48 am

Bonsma just took a deep breath, he may reincarnate...it won`t be in the form of any of the current pretenders...

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=sav+angus+semex+argentina&view=detail&mid=F904691D7A53AF08C676F904691D7A53AF08C676&FORM=VIRE
Back to top Go down
http://www.keeneyscorner.com
EddieM

PostSubject: Re: Bonsma - which parts do you let slide?   Sun Nov 20, 2016 6:35 pm

MKeeney wrote:
Bonsma just took a deep breath, he may reincarnate...it won`t be in the form of any of the current pretenders...

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=sav+angus+semex+argentina&view=detail&mid=F904691D7A53AF08C676F904691D7A53AF08C676&FORM=VIRE
I do not speak spanish and they do not speak Bonsma
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Bonsma - which parts do you let slide?   Sun Nov 20, 2016 6:40 pm

EddieM wrote:
MKeeney wrote:

Wonder if pat can denore a genetic defect when he sees one, or must he wait for a genomic test?
Back to top Go down
Mean Spirit

PostSubject: Re: Bonsma - which parts do you let slide?   Mon Nov 21, 2016 7:39 am

That's a dam mess.
Back to top Go down
EddieM

PostSubject: Re: Bonsma - which parts do you let slide?   Thu Nov 24, 2016 2:06 pm

EddieM wrote:
MKeeney wrote:

Sometimes we have to admit our own faults: like it not I have to admit, I sort of speak Southern.  Not all bad if you live 'round here.  If I try to be a mean and tough guy in front of Tom D for the first time (missed my chance this summer) it really hurts the macho image with all of the yes mam, no mam, yes sir, hat off in the restaurant, .... I could have probably done better being rough, tough, mean and bad in from of Tom if Big Jim had been there with his show stick.  But that was then and I missed my chance.  Sorry Tom to ruin my image in one swift move.

'round here, you "carry" or "take" your car to the garage instead of drive it. If you need to do things a time or two you can do it "once or twice-t".  Plurals are for whenever you need them, "Ain't seen a drought like this in 50 year" or we can go to a sale at "Walmarts" or if ya'll like, it is "Walmark" or "Walmarks".  We get there and get back home just the same, regardless if it is plural, with a t, with a k as long as we ain't took the car to the garage and ain't got it back just yet.  Yea, "Kmarts" has the same problem.  

But I have been thinking about this Bonsma deal.  It reminds me of that seldom remembered, famous line from the mini series, "Shogun".  That's the show with the oriental guys in street gangs running around in their bathrobes and bad hair cuts.  They were nothing more or less than just a whole lot of ol' mean boys.  I know how they feel about those hair cuts.  I went in the barber shop the other week and there was a guy in there impersonating a barber.  Here lately, it's been good weather, most days, for a stocking cap and that helps me a bunch.  None the less I have not been wearing a bathrobe outside for any reason.  Anyhow, ol' Richard Chamberlain was trying to learn to speak Japanese from his woman friend.  She finally told him this line that stuck with me, "To be able to speak Japanese you have to think Japanese".

To be able to see, talk or understand Bonsma, you have to think Bonsma. Or here in the these parts, you have to "thank" like that.  That is probably the hardest part.  All I know right now is them Bonsma type cows or any other type cows 'round here "lack" (like) to see me coming with a bale of hay or some feed.  Ain't had a drought round here like this for 50 year, what I heard.  Happy Thanksgiving, ya'll.
Back to top Go down
jonken

PostSubject: Re: Bonsma - which parts do you let slide?   Sat Nov 26, 2016 11:11 pm

To be able to see, talk or understand Bonsma, you have to think Bonsma. Or here in the these parts, you have to "thank" like that.  That is probably the hardest part.  All I know right now is them Bonsma type cows or any other type cows 'round here "lack" (like) to see me coming with a bale of hay or some feed.  Ain't had a drought round here like this for 50 year, what I heard.  Happy Thanksgiving, ya'll.[/quote]

Eddie - you mention bad hair cuts and drought in the same message.  Think I know what you're hinting........

It's a shame there wasn't a drought test to have taken advantage of twenty years ago, your cattle would be taking care of themselves during your current drought Very Happy  

Wishing a rain dance from the midwest could bring you much needed rain.
-Kendra
Back to top Go down
EddieM

PostSubject: Re: Bonsma - which parts do you let slide?   Sun Nov 27, 2016 7:39 am

Thanks, They are actually predicting some rain for Monday night thru Wednesday and not just in tenths but in "ant-ches" (inches). Need to hook up the no-till and rev up the engine. Seeds have been waiting patiently since September.
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Bonsma - which parts do you let slide?   Sun Dec 11, 2016 10:12 am

the club calf con continues to set the registered trends...

Back to top Go down
Mean Spirit

PostSubject: Re: Bonsma - which parts do you let slide?   Mon Dec 12, 2016 8:29 am

Is that a bull Mike?

Back to top Go down
EddieM

PostSubject: Re: Bonsma - which parts do you let slide?   Mon Dec 12, 2016 8:51 am

Mean Spirit wrote:
Is that a bull Mike?

A wooly bully. Never doubt what money can do for cattle: good or bad.
Back to top Go down
jonken

PostSubject: Re: Bonsma - which parts do you let slide?   Mon Dec 12, 2016 11:45 am

EddieM wrote:
Mean Spirit wrote:
Is that a bull Mike?

A wooly bully.  Never doubt what money can do for cattle: good or bad.

Eddie,

Are you referring to the same Wolly Bully with Sam the Sham and The Pharaohs as the artist. They did sell over 3 million copies singing about a thing she saw that had two big horns and a wooly jaw.
-Kendra
Back to top Go down
EddieM

PostSubject: Re: Bonsma - which parts do you let slide?   Mon Dec 12, 2016 8:21 pm

jonken wrote:
EddieM wrote:
Mean Spirit wrote:
Is that a bull Mike?

A wooly bully.  Never doubt what money can do for cattle: good or bad.

Eddie,

Are you referring to the same Wolly Bully  with  Sam the Sham and The Pharaohs as the artist.  They did sell over 3 million copies singing about a thing she saw that had two big horns and a wooly jaw.
-Kendra

Sorry to tell the truth, but I am not cultured enough to know about Sam the Sham or the farao s. If George and Conway or some of their friends didn't sign it I probably never heard it. But there for a minute I thought you might have been funning me about some of the master cattle breeders of the present age with the names! Embarassed Whatever Sam and the farao s sang about - sounds like one of my cousins, ... but she was nice, ... REAL nice.

Eddie saying "Hello Darlin'" and "He stopped lovin' her today"
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Bonsma - which parts do you let slide?   

Back to top Go down

Bonsma - which parts do you let slide?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 5 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5