Keeney`s Corner

A current and reflective discussion of cattle breeding from outside the registered mainstream

HomeUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Yin and Yang of Deceit

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
jonken

PostSubject: Yin and Yang of Deceit   Sat Feb 13, 2016 12:29 pm

YIN:  Latest explanation of why college tuition has increased at the pace it has the past few years.....only healthcare has raised proportionately.

"The expansion in federal aid over the past two decades was the “biggest single factor” in tuition growth during that period Hedlund said.   In fact, for every extra dollar available to students in subsidized federal aid, colleges raise tuition by an estimated 65 cents on average, a separate staff report released by the Federal Reserve Bank of New York concluded last year. That study focused on changes in tuition patterns after Congress increased borrowing limits in the mid-2000s."

YANG  A portion of the University of Missouri's mission statement providing their commitment to our youth.

"A sense of responsibility requires careful reflection on one's moral obligations. Being responsible imposes the duty on us and our university to make decisions by acknowledging the context and considering consequences, both intended and unintended, of any course of action. Being responsible requires us to be thoughtful stewards of resources — accountable to ourselves, each other and the publics we serve."
-Kendra
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Yin and Yang of Deceit   Mon Feb 15, 2016 7:20 pm

Kendra, this project is pretty and pleasing on the surface...I wonder about the cost effectiveness

http://www.kentucky.com/news/local/news-columns-blogs/tom-eblen/article60339531.html
Back to top Go down
http://www.keeneyscorner.com
jonken

PostSubject: Re: Yin and Yang of Deceit   Wed Feb 17, 2016 1:39 am

Interesting article, but more interesting company to research.

Cost effective?? Not sure that is a consideration in the business plan.   From my crude calculations,  each living unit ended up costing about $285,000 each.   A closer look at the demographics of the local school, shows 82% of the student population qualifies for free/reduced lunches by Federal guidelines, so doubtful the community can sustain this cost of living.   Most appropriately belongs under Yin and Yang of deceit though; a company that not only manages the project and grant writing, but also owns their own construction company, bidding, payroll, wages all other aspects of absorbing the federal grant money from start to finish.   Company’s projects appear to qualify for  Federal Historical Preservation grant,  community facility improvement grant, community development grant, community renewal initiative grant,  public works and economic development initiative grant,………too many more to list.    Looks like 25 years of existence, $65 million in projects across Kentucky and West Virgina, the company owner states; “her business is rewarding, if not hugely profitable.  It is an economic model that works.  We have done so many of these that we have figured out what works.”  

At $285,000 per unit, it seems the only cost effective consideration might be to house a $250,000 heifer.  It did say there were 13 one bedroom apartments, so maybe the company can be persuaded to get into the cattle business too.  Very Happy
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Yin and Yang of Deceit   Wed Feb 17, 2016 7:16 pm

Good analysis...But we believe in good housing in KY...for some  Smile

http://interactive.ukathletics.com/facilities/craft.php
Back to top Go down
jonken

PostSubject: Re: Yin and Yang of Deceit   Thu Feb 18, 2016 2:23 am

Looks like perfect strategy for the University of Kentucky to boost their athlete's retention rate statistics. -- What 22 year old will want to leave the comfort of that luxury and step into the world of reality?    Thought we were heading for a thread drift but found the following charts and knew it belonged here with more Yin and Yang.

The Delta study finds that less than a quarter of D-1 FBS (Football Bowl Subdivision) programs generated more money than they spent, with the difference coming directly from university subsidies and fees paid by all enrolled students.   BUT, don't forget the motto, "We are here to do what is best for the kids.  Bottom line- in the end all decisions will be made for what is best for the kids."
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Yin and Yang of Deceit   Thu Feb 18, 2016 8:18 am

the headline is undeniable; and the bottom -line is evidence enough; in KY as well...some points I disagree with, but even the sorry lot of pols we have running for pres call a tax a tax...cowardly farm bureaucrats call a tax a "checkoff"...mk

Beef checkoff is a bust for Missouri cattle farmers

By ROGER ALLISON
As a Missouri cattle producer, I oppose the $1-per-head state beef checkoff. The state government wants to take another $2.2 million from beef producers every year and then give our money to the Missouri Beef Industry Council, an unaccountable private entity that, according to them, has “no obligation to disclose documents” about how our money is spent.

I have heard from hundreds of beef producers across the state who oppose this checkoff — especially at a time when net farm income is expected to drop by 38.2 percent this year, the largest single-year decline since 1983. And cattle prices have dropped 30 percent since the beginning of the year. We do not need to pour more of our hard-earned money into a totally unaccountable program instead of investing it in our own operations and local economies.

The current federal checkoff program that Missouri beef producers have paid tens of millions of dollars into has been unsuccessful. Since the checkoff passed, beef consumption has plummeted by 31 percent and we have lost 40 percent of Missouri’s beef producers. Now the Missouri Beef Industry Council wants a 200 percent raise while holding $700,000 of our money in its reserve fund.

How unaccountable can the council get? At a meeting Aug. 26 of the Missouri Beef Checkoff Task Force, which was stacked with checkoff supporters, the council’s own hand-picked panel voted to recommend a 50-cent-per-head state checkoff tax — not $1 per head. But the Missouri Beef Industry Council ignored its own task force and asked for a $1-per-head tax.

Then the Missouri Department of Agriculture ignored the concerns of thousands of Missouri cattle producers who oppose this state beef checkoff and the behind-closed-doors process used to implement what amounts to another producer tax.

We have repeatedly voiced our objections to this unconstitutional and nontransparent referendum process, including the fact that the Missouri Department of Agriculture is not allowing for secret ballots and is forcing producers to provide proprietary business information to be eligible to vote. This violates the bedrock principles of democracy.

Supporters of the checkoff claim there will be some way to get a refund after the fact, so they falsely call this a “voluntary” program. In reality, cattle producers are forced to pay into this program by having the money taken out of their checks before they even get them. If the fee is not paid, the attorney general can sue the producer for the collection of checkoff fees and penalties. It doesn’t get any more mandatory than that.

This is a bigger fight than just the beef checkoff. It’s about what kind of livestock production we want in Missouri — corporate-controlled industrial livestock production or a future for family farm agriculture. The answer is not another checkoff program. These checkoffs are obsolete, ineffective programs that benefit packers and public relations firms and promote out-of-state and foreign-produced beef. This is truly a fight for independence, democracy and family farms.

Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Yin and Yang of Deceit   Thu Feb 18, 2016 10:10 pm

yang yang cang...nothing I`ve read tops this as an absolute crock of third grade crap brought to you by your { or someone`s} university of Missouri...

http://blog.steakgenomics.org/2016/02/genomic-roi-early-returns-suggest.html
Back to top Go down
jonken

PostSubject: Re: Yin and Yang of Deceit   Fri Feb 19, 2016 11:12 am

MKeeney wrote:
yang yang cang...nothing I`ve read tops this as an absolute crock of third grade crap brought to you by your { or someone`s} university of Missouri...

I suppose that depends on which side of the third grade teacher's desk one sits.   If you are a student wanting to learn for the sake of acquiring useful and fundamental knowledge that  works in application, and the freedom to have independent thought with your learning then it surely is a crock.  However if you are a teacher that gets paid commission based on how many kids you can get to adopt the crock of learning as necessary for promotion to fourth grade, then the SMH seems to be brilliant.  We have always understood the Show Me Heifer program to be designed with the "Seller" as the  beneficiary, some might even say only beneficiary,  in mind.  

-Kendra
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Yin and Yang of Deceit   Sat Feb 20, 2016 1:32 am

jonken wrote:
MKeeney wrote:

I suppose that depends on which side of the third grade teacher's desk one sits. If you are a student wanting to learn for the sake of acquiring useful and fundamental knowledge that works in application, and the freedom to have independent thought with your learning then it surely is a crock. However if you are a teacher that gets paid commission based on how many kids you can get to adopt the crock of learning as necessary for promotion to fourth grade, then the SMH seems to be brilliant. We have always understood the Show Me Heifer program to be designed with the "Seller" as the beneficiary, some might even say only beneficiary, in mind.

-Kendra

if the fifth grader titled this same paper "how easily a fool and his money are parted" , I would give him an A+...
Back to top Go down
jonken

PostSubject: Re: Yin and Yang of Deceit   Tue Feb 23, 2016 6:31 pm

Trying to decipher an article and realized how little I understand about DNA Genotyping.  

The article states “The snip chip enables livestock genotype service providers and breed associations to make accurate genetic predictions on animals using nothing more than a DNA profile. It compares a bovine DNA sample with thousands of other bovine samples to predict the genetic merits of an animal for up to 17 economically important traits.”  

Can someone offer a cliff note lesson on how DNA Genotyping contributes to the reproduction of a superior genetic offspring which the article goes on to infer is possible through genotyping?  

-Kendra
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Yin and Yang of Deceit   Tue Feb 23, 2016 6:59 pm

While we wait for Pat`s explanation, the mention of dna reminded me...the sheriff`s deputy took some dna samples from/on my stolen truck...been a couple weeks now; so I inquired yesterday if we had any meaningful results back yet...the deputy informed me, that regrettably, it would probably/typically be a year before we got any results back...I had to laugh; wondering who had watched too much tv; me or the deputy...me for thinking dna might solve something; the deputy for wasting taxpayer money jumping through the bureaucratic process just to make more jobs...
It gets easier for me too see why we have useless drug laws {as in gun laws}; the wrecker service, the dna lab, the lawyers, judges, deputies, counselors, jails and jailers, and support bureaucrats would have their legal jobs cut, as well as the over and under-the-table money to the politicians...bad for the economy; but good for the taxpayer.
certainly not blaming anyone; theft defense was my responsibility, and we will do better...however, when you own something tangible, and the thief owns nothing but his life; worth about 10 cents; you, the property owner are going to lose...it`s just a question of minimizing your losses...

ok , enough rant Twisted Evil Cool help Kendra out, I have a sense of the answer, but not of the terminology...
Back to top Go down
Mean Spirit

PostSubject: Re: Yin and Yang of Deceit   Wed Feb 24, 2016 8:49 am

I can't help Kendra with an answer. And I'm a little bit of a hypocrite on this, at least potentially. Genotyping cattle is a very good thing for the genotypers. And its probably going to someday be a very good thing for cattle marketers. Beyond those groups, no doubt it will be, at best, a wash. Like EPDs before them. Since the advent of EPDs, they have been used successfully. For example, the weaning weight EPD has gone up dramatically for registered cattle since EPDs came into use. (Never mind that weaning weights really haven't changed that much-- wassup with that?).

Why am I a hypocrite on this DNA thing? I've been inbreeding cattle for not that long- a decade- but I've got mostly double and triple bred cattle, 10% IBC or so, more or less. I think I'm concentrating some genetics. I would like DNA testing to prove this somehow. If I could figure out how that might be, I'd test everybody.

Re: DNA testing of your criminals Mike- I was surprised at how slow crime labs are at getting their job done. In NC, blood testing results for DWI or drug use charges are often not available in time to use in a trial.
Back to top Go down
EddieM

PostSubject: Re: Yin and Yang of Deceit   Wed Feb 24, 2016 9:33 am

Mean Spirit wrote:
I can't help Kendra with an answer.  And I'm a little bit of a hypocrite on this, at least potentially.  Genotyping cattle is a very good thing for the genotypers.  And its probably going to someday be a very good thing for cattle marketers.  Beyond those groups, no doubt it will be, at best, a wash.  Like EPDs before them.  Since the advent of EPDs, they have been used successfully.  For example, the weaning weight EPD has gone up dramatically for registered cattle since EPDs came into use.  (Never mind that weaning weights really haven't changed that much-- wassup with that?).

Why am I a hypocrite on this DNA thing?  I've been inbreeding cattle for not that long- a decade- but I've got mostly double and triple bred cattle, 10% IBC or so, more or less. I think I'm concentrating some genetics.  I would like DNA testing to prove this somehow.  If I could figure out how that might be, I'd test everybody.

Re: DNA testing of your criminals Mike- I was surprised at how slow crime labs are at getting their job done. In NC, blood testing results for DWI or drug use charges are often not available in time to use in a trial.      

And if your cattle are working out for you, what does one more set of data compared to GAR, SAV and XYZ tell you? I already pretty much know what works, what doesn't work and the gray area for some is "do they or don't they work". DNA will not tell me what I need to know on the "fit". And the further I get from GAR, SAV and XYZ I can only figure that the same or even the improved test will tell me less. Just because little Johnny sticks his hand in the fire does not mean that little Eddie has to stick his hand in the fire, too.

Eddie, with scars enough
Back to top Go down
PatB

PostSubject: Re: Yin and Yang of Deceit   Wed Feb 24, 2016 10:54 am

Mean Spirit wrote:
I can't help Kendra with an answer.  And I'm a little bit of a hypocrite on this, at least potentially.  Genotyping cattle is a very good thing for the genotypers.  And its probably going to someday be a very good thing for cattle marketers.  Beyond those groups, no doubt it will be, at best, a wash.  Like EPDs before them.  Since the advent of EPDs, they have been used successfully.  For example, the weaning weight EPD has gone up dramatically for registered cattle since EPDs came into use.  (Never mind that weaning weights really haven't changed that much-- wassup with that?).

Why am I a hypocrite on this DNA thing?  I've been inbreeding cattle for not that long- a decade- but I've got mostly double and triple bred cattle, 10% IBC or so, more or less. I think I'm concentrating some genetics.  I would like DNA testing to prove this somehow.  If I could figure out how that might be, I'd test everybody.

The below link is to a youtube video about inbreeding combined with genomics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRsnR8sgOqc&index=7&list=PLgh8WcYegg46WMi4tAItNC3XMIhf3v-ch

There are 3 short videos in module 9 that deal with inbreeding. At the current time there is no commercial test/reports that cover the amount of homozygosity of animal as far as I know. The world of genomics need some outside of the box thinking on how the technology is applied in animal breeding.
Back to top Go down
Kent Powell

PostSubject: Re: Yin and Yang of Deceit   Wed Feb 24, 2016 2:41 pm

There is in Dairy.
Back to top Go down
http://powellangus.com
jonken

PostSubject: Re: Yin and Yang of Deceit   Thu Feb 25, 2016 3:02 am

Thanks for the feedback.  It has prompted more questions as I try to retrieve knowledge from past Biology lessons.  I remember sitting in an introductory Animal Science class in college when the instructor was discussing genetics and phenotype and asked the question, "what would the offspring of floppy eared landrace  hog crossed with an erect eared Hampshire hog look like?"  An eager pre-vet student from inner St. Louis answered, "One ear would be erect and one ear would be floppy.".... I keep thinking of that experience as I continue to ask  questions here, not sure when I've become that eager pre-vet student:)

More questions regarding DNA Genotyping ......

1.   How many genes have been identified or linked with specific desired traits (ex.... milk production,   marbling, etc...) ?  It might be more appropriate to reword that to how many traits have been identified with specific genes?

2.  Have any/all of the desired traits referenced above been identified as sex linked?  

3.  If genotyping can verify homozygosity in an animal but not specific with traits linked to specific genes, what does the genotype profile provide that a pedigree and observations of 15 years of related breeding can't tell?

-Kendra
Back to top Go down
PatB

PostSubject: Re: Yin and Yang of Deceit   Thu Feb 25, 2016 7:29 am

jonken wrote:

1.   How many genes have been identified or linked with specific desired traits (ex.... milk production,   marbling, etc...) ?  It might be more appropriate to reword that to how many traits have been identified with specific genes?

2.  Have any/all of the desired traits referenced above been identified as sex linked?  

3.  If genotyping can verify homozygosity in an animal but not specific with traits linked to specific genes, what does the genotype profile provide that a pedigree and observations of 15 years of related breeding can't tell?

-Kendra

1 It depends on species, breed and line. Traits have been linked to genes but it is the variants/alleles that make up genes that control the expression of traits we need to identify. Human and mice have had more variants/alleles identified then dairy and dairy has more then beef.

2. Don't know.

3. It comes down to species, breed, lines on what we know. University of Missouri is working on identifying around 200,000 variants in angus cattle and the preliminary findings should be out by 2016 BIF conference. There are far more questions then answers in the brave new world of genomics in my opinion.

I expect to see more/faster progress made in identifying alleles/variants with the improvement in technology, models and varying desciplines of scientist working on the different challenges.
Back to top Go down
Kent Powell

PostSubject: Re: Yin and Yang of Deceit   Thu Feb 25, 2016 1:09 pm

On the Homozygosity:
Technology cannot keep up with breeding. Had a calf this year, sired by one of two full brothers in blood, who was identical at , I believe, 78 markers they used for sire verification. 100% their judgment call (guess). Said it has never happened before. Still too much variation for me, but technology cannot tell them apart.

ANYONE who claims to be able to improve cattle without knowing a damn thing about them has shown their cards.

Any tool that has any value should be able to pick merit blindly. They can't. Breed specific? Really? If it requires experience and observation, then just breeding based on this experience and observation is all you need.
Back to top Go down
http://powellangus.com
jonken

PostSubject: Re: Yin and Yang of Deceit   Thu Feb 25, 2016 1:38 pm

[quote="Kent Powell"]

On the Homozygosity:
Technology cannot keep up with breeding.  Had a calf this year, sired by one of two full brothers in blood,  who was identical at , I believe, 78 markers they used for sire verification. 100% their judgment call (guess).  Said it has never happened before.  Still too much variation for me, but technology cannot tell them apart.  

Similar experience here Kent, only with hogs . Submited 3 dna cards for 3 diferent sires and was accused of sending blood from ONE animal only . This was 12 years ago and I then cut the cord with registry fees. Technological progress wears me out. Kendra's biology/science background has her asking questions. Myself , conception + birth + maturity = the only  verification  I need.     Jon
Back to top Go down
PatB

PostSubject: Re: Yin and Yang of Deceit   Thu Feb 25, 2016 3:15 pm

Kent Powell wrote:

On the Homozygosity:
Technology cannot keep up with breeding.  Had a calf this year, sired by one of two full brothers in blood,  who was identical at , I believe, 78 markers they used for sire verification. 100% their judgment call (guess).  Said it has never happened before.  Still too much variation for me, but technology cannot tell them apart.  

ANYONE who claims to be able to improve  cattle without knowing a damn thing about them has shown their cards.  

Any tool that has any value should be able to pick merit blindly.  They can't.  Breed specific?  Really?   If it requires experience and observation, then just breeding based on this experience and observation is all you need.  

In Useful genetics youtube videos implies in 20 or 22 generations of breeding full sibs mice to each other you will have a homozygous mouse/mice. The ones that designed the dna parentage wanted at least double the number of markers for parentage then was finally agreed to.
Back to top Go down
jonken

PostSubject: Re: Yin and Yang of Deceit   Thu Feb 25, 2016 11:09 pm

PatB wrote:
Kent Powell wrote:

On the Homozygosity:

ANYONE who claims to be able to improve  cattle without knowing a damn thing about them has shown their cards.  

Any tool that has any value should be able to pick merit blindly.  They can't.  Breed specific?  Really?   If it requires experience and observation, then just breeding based on this experience and observation is all you need.  

In Useful genetics youtube videos implies in 20 or 22 generations of breeding full sibs mice to each other you will have a homozygous mouse/mice.   The ones that designed the dna parentage wanted at least double the number of markers for parentage then was finally agreed to.    

So Pat, are you saying " Blind Merit "was agreed to?                  Jon
Back to top Go down
EddieM

PostSubject: Re: Yin and Yang of Deceit   Fri Feb 26, 2016 9:40 am

How much faster can you raise "Beautiful/Desirable cows"? Once the tests are bigger and better can we stop asking about any and every bull that might have been as a possible lost nugget? Will it raise the IQ of the AAA BOD?

Maybe we should get a genetic test for breeders: Truth, Honesty, Dependability, Greed, Purpose, Associates, ...

We would make quicker progress on cattle breeding by sorting the breeders than by sorting a few bulls and cows.
Back to top Go down
PatB

PostSubject: Re: Yin and Yang of Deceit   Fri Feb 26, 2016 11:25 am

EddieM wrote:

We would make quicker progress on cattle breeding by sorting the breeders than by sorting a few bulls and cows.

That is called the breeders eye and gut feeling that trumps genomics and epd's. If you cannot trust the breeder why should you trust his genetics?
Back to top Go down
jonken

PostSubject: Re: Yin and Yang of Deceit   Fri Feb 26, 2016 12:21 pm

PatB wrote:
EddieM wrote:

That is called the breeders eye and gut feeling that trumps genomics and epd's.   If you cannot trust the breeder why should you trust his genetics?

Thanks, I was worried science and labs were than only way to manufacture livestock.    Jon
Back to top Go down
jonken

PostSubject: Re: Yin and Yang of Deceit   Fri Feb 26, 2016 12:24 pm

PatB wrote:
jonken wrote:

-Kendra

1 It depends on species, breed and line. Traits have been linked to genes but it is the variants/alleles that make up genes that control the expression of traits we need to identify.   Human and mice have had more variants/alleles identified then dairy and dairy has more then beef.  

2.  Don't know.

3.  It comes down to species, breed, lines on what we know.  University of Missouri is working on identifying around 200,000 variants in angus cattle and the preliminary findings should be out by 2016 BIF conference.   There are far more questions then answers in the brave new world of genomics in my opinion.

I expect to see more/faster progress made in identifying alleles/variants with the improvement in technology, models and varying desciplines of scientist working on the different challenges.  

For a common definition...... what is meant by 200,000 variants?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Yin and Yang of Deceit   

Back to top Go down

Yin and Yang of Deceit
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 5Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next