Keeney`s Corner

A current and reflective discussion of cattle breeding from outside the registered mainstream

HomeUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

2016 Show Me Gathering Dates

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
larkota

PostSubject: Re: 2016 Show Me Gathering Dates   Sun Jul 10, 2016 5:56 pm

Chris B wrote:
Those going to Chris and Bill Byars...arrive 5ish, spend two hours looking at cattle, eating beef, and drinking craft beer  Smile

Hello All.  I wanted to personally invite everyone to stop by our place in Central MO on your way to Cabool.  Specific directions are to head South out of Fortuna approx. 1.5 miles, turn left (East) on Lehman Rd at the Kent Feeds Sign, we are the first place on the left.  We have been raising cattle at this location since the late 60's and have been down a few paths along the way before settling on the Tru-Line concept.  In addition to seeing the cattle and socializing I would like to invite all to stay for supper, we will throw something on the smoker for sandwiches and have some sides.  To quench your thirst in this hot, humid environment I will also have my home-brewed craft beer and other non-alcoholic beverages available.  Let me know how many to stop by so that we can have plenty available.  Text/call 314-452-3738 e-mail cbyars806@gmail.com or reply to this thread.  Looking forward to seeing everyone!!!

got some empty growlers needing filled, trade you Kimball popcorn balls for some kettle corn.
Back to top Go down
EddieM

PostSubject: Re: 2016 Show Me Gathering Dates   Wed Jul 13, 2016 10:32 am

Can't get this at a drive thru.
Back to top Go down
jonken

PostSubject: Re: 2016 Show Me Gathering Dates   Wed Jul 13, 2016 1:40 pm

EddieM wrote:

I can see that we are gonna have to scrounge up some pretty green sawdust to make our varmints look appealing to what you've got Eddie.  Had our share of those this year and currently in an on going battle with the raccoons.  They prefer green stalks of sweet corn instead of green sawdust.... hoping to be victorious in our battle until  at least next Friday's dinner at the gathering.  --I wouldn't rule out finding that in some of the drive thru places on route to NE Missouri..... might not be able to supersize them though.  
-Kendra
Back to top Go down
Chris B

PostSubject: Re: 2016 Show Me Gathering Dates   Fri Jul 15, 2016 3:54 pm

EddieM wrote:

Hope you don't mind having it for the same meal twice, that is what I am planning on throwing on the smoker.
Back to top Go down
EddieM

PostSubject: Re: 2016 Show Me Gathering Dates   Sun Jul 24, 2016 10:32 am

Chris, you owe me a possum supper.
Back to top Go down
R V

PostSubject: Re: 2016 Show Me Gathering Dates   Sun Jul 24, 2016 2:44 pm

I enjoyed meeting several of you at lunch yesterday and am looking forward to updates. I wish I would have been able to have been there Friday and Saturday to visit and learn more. Due to our recent good fortune with rain (and the forecast for more next week), Friday was the first day we were able to put up our baleage. It was a 2 day process and we finished about 0100 this morning. On a brighter note it ended up making ~100 more bales than we were expecting.
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: 2016 Show Me Gathering Dates   Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:34 am

I never get much of a feel about these Gatherings in terms of success; I see people smiling, pondering, and talking to each other...
seemingly a sign of success...
...but Gathering history has proved that can be a human coat of very thin veneer ...I`m guessing the ones who now travel hundreds of miles to attend,
do so because they enjoy it; get something from it, everyone is, after all, free to stay home...

....I never expect immediate breeding or economic success from attending...however, for me, this was a very a personal trip, selfishly planned, to
check on  my cattle , but more to set foot on the places of friends who have supported me over the years; I learn from them; can my cattle pay for my learning? they can; if I don`t charge too much for the cattle  Neutral ...the Beginning of this Journey, the 2011 Red Lodge Gathering was
selfish as well, I wanted more people to meet the man and see the cattle most influential in my life; the same purpose of this website...

the greatest disappointment so far has been the loss, well no, never gaining
the acceptance of the one IMO, most likely to succeed as a Larry replacement...no, he has never posted at KC, if that helps you narrow your search Smile so it is left to us, the ones who show up, to change the thinking, one commercial herd at a time...on second thought, the no-shows may be having great success changing things in their own way, I hope so, and to them I wish continued success...

A highlight for me was the cap mementos Kendra designed with the inscription "The Journey Continues"... The 2017 Gathering will be here; the theme will be
"The Journey Never Ends"...
some Berry, some may call it Feeling the Bern,  for I am tired of writing for now...

“In a society in which nearly everybody is dominated by somebody else's mind or by a disembodied mind, it becomes increasingly difficult to learn the truth about the activities of governments and corporations, about the quality or value of products, or about the health of one's own place and economy.

In such a society, also, our private economies will depend less and less upon the private ownership of real, usable property, and more and more upon property that is institutional and abstract, beyond individual control, such as money, insurance policies, certificates of deposit, stocks, and shares. And as our private economies become more abstract, the mutual, free helps and pleasures of family and community life will be supplanted by a kind of displaced or placeless citizenship and by commerce with impersonal and self-interested suppliers...

Thus, although we are not slaves in name, and cannot be carried to market and sold as somebody else's legal chattels, we are free only within narrow limits. For all our talk about liberation and personal autonomy, there are few choices that we are free to make. What would be the point, for example, if a majority of our people decided to be self-employed?

The great enemy of freedom is the alignment of political power with wealth. This alignment destroys the commonwealth - that is, the natural wealth of localities and the local economies of household, neighborhood, and community - and so destroys democracy, of which the commonwealth is the foundation and practical means.”
― Wendell Berry, The Art of the Commonplace: The Agrarian Essays
Back to top Go down
http://www.keeneyscorner.com
EddieM

PostSubject: Re: 2016 Show Me Gathering Dates   Tue Jul 26, 2016 8:51 am

Well, this morning it is back to well water, stove top perked coffee and work clothes - the ones with the patches and stains.  Many, many thanks for all of your kindness and friendships over the two days.  I guess I have been in MO but it has been a long time since I have been anywhere much more than in the south and southeastern USA.  We totaled a little over 2000 miles on our trip which is way more than normal for one of my usual runs to LA.  I am once again amazed with the vastness and scale of farming I saw in IN, IL, MO and TN.  We routed home via southern TN as a tourist effort or a curiosity on my part.  I kidded Pam to tell her I was avoiding Nashville so that they would not stop me and make a record or two.  But it was a trip, as a whole, worth the journey to fit into the theme of journeys.

I learned a lot and will learn more as I rethink, correspond and in my own odd way of thinking by typing and talking.  Some sort of mental quirk, I guess. In the big picture, agriculture in SC, including me, could disappear and we would not be missed except in a few crops like fresh market peaches, bright tobacco and such.  Things here are so much smaller in scale, smaller in vision, more limited in production that what many of you experience.  But if the ant thought that his hill was unnecessary he would not be the virtuous ant of biblical and exemplary example.  So I will plod on to do the best I can do and hope that it makes a difference around me.

Many special thanks to the hosts and hostesses of the trip.  I think that you might have damaged the girlish figure I had hoped to retain throughout life!  To those who showed their livestock or their stories and thoughts, thank you for having holes in your cheese, to link back to an example of Larry's.  We all have those issues and want to have less issues.  I won't set Briann off with a "to make the best better' quote from the old 4H days.  But we do all seek to tweak our current systems.

I would post a picture of a drought stricken pasture when we got back yesterday but there is a computer thing that is preventing that for the moment.  Like a family that had three kids my age: the father would launch into the "back when I was a kid living on the mill hill and during the depression, we had to ..." the three kids would synchronize into a canned statement, "Tell us about the HARD TIMES, Daddy".  You all know about droughts, floods and the unexpected.

Again, thank you for the friendship expressed to both Pam and me.  Like Gene Watson, the country music singer said, "Thanks is not a good enough word".

Edit: got the picture up.  Looks like its about time for a lot of slow walking and sad singing!

" />
Back to top Go down
EddieM

PostSubject: Re: 2016 Show Me Gathering Dates   Tue Jul 26, 2016 3:34 pm

Some photos of the good time in MO:

Jon and Kendra's
" />

" />

" />

" />

" />

" />

" />

Chris and Bill's

" />

" />

" />

" />

" />

Brent's farm

" />

" />

" />

" />

" />

" />

Took a different route back to SC
" />

" />
Since Tom always wanted to know what I looked like I included a "selfie"
" />
Back to top Go down
jonken

PostSubject: Re: 2016 Show Me Gathering Dates   Wed Jul 27, 2016 12:21 am

Gee thanks Eddie! You photoshopped my mouth open and made my ears smaller . But you you really pulled the rabbit out of the hat with your selfie ....you are clean shaven and have a northern accent. Jon
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: 2016 Show Me Gathering Dates   Wed Jul 27, 2016 9:30 am

Back to top Go down
EddieM

PostSubject: Re: 2016 Show Me Gathering Dates   Thu Jul 28, 2016 6:16 pm

OK, I'm curious. What did anyone learn from the trip?
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: 2016 Show Me Gathering Dates   Thu Jul 28, 2016 8:33 pm

EddieM wrote:
OK, I'm curious.  What did anyone learn from the trip?

I further verified what I already believed about our hosts...as to cattle breeding? not much, only those who believe the same show up...to attract outsiders, you would need the farao clique promoting get rich miracles...
I did leave wanting a guard dog just because they are an amazing domestication/breeding etc...
Back to top Go down
EddieM

PostSubject: Re: 2016 Show Me Gathering Dates   Fri Jul 29, 2016 7:49 am

MKeeney wrote:
EddieM wrote:
OK, I'm curious.  What did anyone learn from the trip?

I further verified what I already believed about our hosts...as to cattle breeding? not much, only those who believe the same show up...to attract outsiders, you would need the farao clique promoting get rich miracles...
I did leave wanting a guard dog just because they are an amazing domestication/breeding etc...
I am a slow learner but got a thought on the trip and back here looking at cows as comparatives; I don't really care if the cows do stand in the shade in the heat as long as the cows breed and the calves grow. I am not sure that cows that walk around in the hot sun are smart or a better economical choice for me.

As far as new folks: Americans are conditioned to be spectators. You cannot sing poorly to yourself riding down the road - you need to play the radio and switch from channel to channel trying to find some song that you know the words to but want to be sung to rather than to sing. TV is much more important than self improvement. They kill all of the big bucks on hunting channels and you never get bug bites or poison ivy. Bull buying is from catalogs that come in the mail with free delivery or at a test station where they are groomed and have been evaluated for you so that selection is easier.

Tourism is no different. Used to be that a ride in the mountains was an encounter with local folks who made something and had it for sale. Today the sale places are more modern and every trinket is from China and the food items came from the big metal warehouse in the right back corner of the wholesale part of the Asheville Farmers Market.

Some of what we talk here is teaching people to fish rather rather than giving them a short term fish diet.
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: 2016 Show Me Gathering Dates   Sat Jul 30, 2016 4:50 pm

in UK basketball, there is a lot of talk about "can he finish at the goal"...a lot cattle breeders can start to the goal, but can`t  finish...fancy dribblers can only pass off to a finisher; the dribblers are gone, the straight shooters are all that is left...we`ll finish this work...

https://www.facebook.com/mike.keeney.71/posts/1064236103623754?notif_t=like&notif_id=1469886361896506
Back to top Go down
outsidethebox

PostSubject: Re: 2016 Show Me Gathering Dates   Sat Jul 30, 2016 6:46 pm

MKeeney wrote:
in UK basketball, there is a lot of talk about "can he finish at the goal"...a lot cattle breeders can start to the goal, but can`t  finish...fancy dribblers can only pass off to a finisher; the dribblers are gone, the straight shooters are all that is left...we`ll finish this work...

https://www.facebook.com/mike.keeney.71/posts/1064236103623754?notif_t=like&notif_id=1469886361896506

Oh man! I hate this analogy. I am told that I was an outstanding basketball player...I just loved playing. But I was the fancy dribbling assist man. Though, in all fairness here, I often made the finisher's job very easy.

Otherwise, I do root for the Cubs. Maybe next year. (At your place you say?)
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: 2016 Show Me Gathering Dates   Sat Jul 30, 2016 9:24 pm

well, an assist man is more valuable than the player that fouls out before the half Smile
yes here, we won`t learn much, but we`ll have a good time...though I doubt we match the food...wow, wow...
Back to top Go down
jonken

PostSubject: Re: 2016 Show Me Gathering Dates   Sat Jul 30, 2016 10:10 pm

[quote="MKeeney"]in UK basketball, there is a lot of talk about "can he finish at the goal"...a lot cattle breeders can start to the goal, but can`t  finish...fancy dribblers can only pass off to a finisher; the dribblers are gone, the straight shooters are all that is left...we`ll finish this work...

https://www.facebook.com/mike.keeney.71/posts/1064236103623754?notif_t=like&notif_id=1469886361896506[/quote

A not so glamorous perspective but one that yields self respect and satisfaction was one demanded from my coach.  Focus on DEFENSE and keep the fancy dribbler and goal finisher from
becoming a hero by focusing on fundamentals instead of overtones.  Many think that the only way to win at basketball is to shoot threes to add to the score instead of working the other side of the game and minimizing the points given up.  Unfortunately the crowd doesn't give standing ovations for good defense as readily as they do for sloppy or even missed dunks.  Our coach always made a point to recognize the one with the most assists bringing emphasis to the unselfishness.
Kendra
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: 2016 Show Me Gathering Dates   Sun Jul 31, 2016 1:47 am

ok, I`ll take a new shot:) ...there`s value in teamwork? reinforcement of value of breeding direction? I don`t want to have to be politically incorrect by saying..."it takes a village" Laughing but is a man alone with just his money adequate satisfaction? I doubt it; success must be freely shared with others for greater joy...
Back to top Go down
EddieM

PostSubject: Re: 2016 Show Me Gathering Dates   Sun Jul 31, 2016 7:16 am

MKeeney wrote:
ok, I`ll take a new shot:) ...there`s value in teamwork? reinforcement of value of breeding direction? I don`t want to have to be politically incorrect by saying..."it takes a village" Laughing  but is a man alone with just his money adequate satisfaction? I doubt it; success must be freely shared with others for greater joy...
Problem in modern livestock breeding, few have "success" to share. Hodge podge and crosses of recent favorites of the majority is not success. It is more of a genetic plagiarism. Granted it might temporarily create better cattle for some defined purpose but it does not create cattle which can generally replicate themselves. A successful team is one that plays together for the greater good. But the first step of any great team is individual self discipline to be the group of best individuals ready to learn to play as a team.

A pretty simple idea of best government as well; each citizen needs to have the best discipline and "self government" for a nation to really be successful. That is the problem of any form of decent government or any attempt at a decent government - too many undisciplined and lazy folks not willing to pull their share.
Back to top Go down
larkota

PostSubject: Re: 2016 Show Me Gathering Dates   Sun Jul 31, 2016 9:08 am

EddieM wrote:
  - too many undisciplined and lazy folks not willing to pull their share.

sounds like you have been watching Judge Judy.
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: 2016 Show Me Gathering Dates   Sun Jul 31, 2016 9:54 am

Back to top Go down
jonken

PostSubject: Re: 2016 Show Me Gathering Dates   Mon Aug 01, 2016 1:51 am

To quote the late Coach John Wooden,  "A player who makes a team great is much more valuable than a great player."    If I remember correctly, it took Wooden over 15 years at UCLA to win  a first National Championship.  No overnight success, but  a testament to discipline and perseverance.  He shared in one of his interviews that he kept a creed in his billfold given to him by his father when he was 12 years old.  His blueprint for living life as he stated.
"Be true to yourself.
Make each day your masterpiece.
Help others.
Drink deeply from good books.
Make friendship a fine art.
Build shelter against a rainy day.
Pray for guidance and give thanks for your blessings every day."

Thinking this was Wooden's "enough."
Kendra
Back to top Go down
Mean Spirit

PostSubject: Re: 2016 Show Me Gathering Dates   Mon Aug 01, 2016 8:17 am

MKeeney wrote:
ok, I`ll take a new shot:) ...there`s value in teamwork? reinforcement of value of breeding direction? I don`t want to have to be politically incorrect by saying..."it takes a village" Laughing  but is a man alone with just his money adequate satisfaction? I doubt it; success must be freely shared with others for greater joy...

If you want to go fast, go alone. If you want to go far, go together.
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: 2016 Show Me Gathering Dates   Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:15 am

Mean Spirit wrote:
MKeeney wrote:

If you want to go fast, go alone.  If you want to go far, go together.  

speaking of going far, if Andrea invites us to the Pampas , who wants to go? Smile

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 2016 Show Me Gathering Dates   

Back to top Go down

2016 Show Me Gathering Dates
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 4 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next