Keeney`s Corner

A current and reflective discussion of cattle breeding from outside the registered mainstream

HomeUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Riddle me this

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
AuthorMessage
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Riddle me this   Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:38 pm

this is so funny... Smile
Corn Grain Yields, 1870 to 1930
From 1870 until about 1930 there was no increase in the U.S. national average corn grain yield (Figure 7). The average yield in the decade of the 1920s was 26.4 bushels per acre (1.8 tons/hectare), which actually was a bushel per acre less than occurred 50 years earlier. What were the reasons for this lack of response?

•Grain productivity is difficult to change when selection is based on the performance of individual plants and when grain yield is judged visually from the apparent size of ears (grain and cob).

•Selections often were based on characteristics that had nothing to do with actual grain productivity. This apparent contradiction to good farming practices reached its peak of popularity in the corn shows.

bull tests and cattle shows?

Back to top Go down
http://www.keeneyscorner.com

PostSubject: Re: Riddle me this   Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:07 am

MKeeney wrote:
Gregory Walker wrote:
Bootheel wrote:
Jack McNamee wrote:
Dennis Voss wrote:
Jack, Putting 5023 back on his daughters? That is stoking the fires of revolution .

That could be but like I said in my e-mail, I think of it more as establishing some genotpic uniformity into this God awful mixed up herd of ours. larry said in one of his posts that someone told him breeding cattle was easy until he met Larry. For me it's just the opposite. For me breeding cattle was like being a drift in the ocean. Sometimes at night I could see the North Star and get my direction back but mostly I just drifted or went in circles. Now I feel like I have been given a compass from people like you and Larry. I will probably never reach the island that I seek but at least I have direction and I know what the island looks like. That shouldn't put any pressure on you or Larry. I'm sure it has never been the intentions of either one of you to be this messiah for cattle breeders. My island, in my mind is all mine and it differs from everyone elses to some degree but I feel with this compass, my life has become much easier and enjoyable because now when I look to the horizon I have confidence that I'm heading straight where I want to be.

Free at last, Free at last, from the bondage of circular whims.......Ain't it a grand Jack.....I have been sitting down with the Screwtape Letters, by CS Lewis, and am amazed by the darkside's strategy of preying on the fashionable whims of human notions, and the many parallels to the merry go round that is registered-dom.. Keep 'em comin', Jack.

I love all things CS Lewis. That book really makes you rethink things that you hadn't really considered as sins.

ohhhhhh NOOOOOOOOOO, don`t tell me there`s more Smile

Nope, I am serious as a heart attack here. backstabbing, gossip, wanting to aggrandize things to make you appear as more than you are, pride and belittling others are just as bad as murder in God's eyes. Things that I had never thought about until I began reading Lewis...
Back to top Go down
Mean Spirit

PostSubject: Re: Riddle me this   Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:17 am

Is that a recommendation, or is it a warning? All that eye opening can be pretty disturbing, at best, damn painful at worst.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Riddle me this   Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:13 pm

dunc wrote:
That country that the bull lives is in perfect, can't beat a prairie scene. Nice bull too, but gotta love the big country.

Thanks Dunc. I've heard this country called alot of things but never perfect before. Last year was one of the best grass years this country has seen in a long time. I hope this year comes close to last year. Thanks to all for the compliments on the bull. All I did was buy him though. Dennis and Erica are who should be complimented on the bull. He is just one of several good bulls we have got from them.
Back to top Go down
jbob

PostSubject: Re: Riddle me this   Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:13 pm

I knew that it needed to adjust itself and it has. JBob Embalation 997 has dropped out of the front of the pack. He is gaining 3.84# a day now and wieghts 1305#. He is doing exactly what he should do.

J.Bob Hould
Havre,Mt
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Riddle me this   Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:25 pm

jbob wrote:
I knew that it needed to adjust itself and it has. JBob Embalation 997 has dropped out of the front of the pack. He is gaining 3.84# a day now and wieghts 1305#. He is doing exactly what he should do.

J.Bob Hould
Havre,Mt

well, I hope he slowed up eating as well...
Back to top Go down
http://www.keeneyscorner.com
jbob

PostSubject: Re: Riddle me this   Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:31 pm

Ya good question! I really doubt that he is eating any less thou. It is my understanding now, that there appetitte does not slow down, just the conversion.

J.Bob Hould
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Riddle me this   

Back to top Go down

Riddle me this
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 5 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Keeney`s Corner :: Breeding Philosophies :: Breeding Philosophies-
Jump to: