Keeney`s Corner

A current and reflective discussion of cattle breeding from outside the registered mainstream

HomeUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

what you see

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: what you see   Thu Jun 11, 2015 5:09 pm

I`ll add a better place to look is where a commercial producer has used the researched genetics as a consistent source; or where a draft has been sold to a new owner in a different environment and breeder prejudice has been removed...
I was amiss about the last infusion of outside blood into Shoshone in answering Danny`s question the other night...eventually, 3 et bulls of the visited herd from a Shoshone cow were used in multiple sire pastures...doubt they lasted long enough to create much impact, and now it`s all been merged into one with a common set of characteristics running through it...; the who, when, what, where not important...
Back to top Go down
http://www.keeneyscorner.com
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: what you see   Thu Jun 11, 2015 7:19 pm

pukerimu wrote:
Looking elsewhere can be fun; so long as no selection must take place; which would be guessing

Unless of course you have been following the other source genetics for almost as long as your own .............................. takes a lot of the guess work out of it with about as much chance as getting it wrong as at home.  Hard to get it right 100% of the time.  We are fortunate that NZ small and the stud breeding world so much smaller again.

better yet Megan; are the herds where you can`t really get it wrong...Shoshone the only one I have some familiarity with...there has naturally been some concern expressed about the future of the Shoshone herd since Larry was the dominant party in the direction of the herd...that has never been a concern of mine; Larry created a worthy prepotent population  of common characteristics that is self-sustaining merely by selection within  the population...it can; and will be improved{by the Shoshone definition of improvement} by the sons; the most limiting factor will be time...

another story...What are those 4 bulls over there in the corral? ahh hell, we were sending the last dozen picked over bulls to the Billings stockyards; I told Michael to pick out the best four and keep; we might need them... a week later...Michael, better bring up a couple of bulls; two or three crippled in the pasture behind the house...
Back to top Go down
http://www.keeneyscorner.com

what you see
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Keeney`s Corner :: Breeding Philosophies :: Breeding Philosophies-
Jump to: