Keeney`s Corner

A current and reflective discussion of cattle breeding from outside the registered mainstream
 
HomeUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 
 

 Raising Efficient Cattle Strategies

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
RobertMac



Posts : 399
Join date : 2010-09-28
Location : Mississippi, USA

PostSubject: Re: Raising Efficient Cattle Strategies   Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:13 am

Gregory Walker wrote:
The idea is to find the line and not cross it.
How do you find that line if you don't look for it and cross it?

I didn't start out making my cattle go 'cold turkey' on all inputs. I began slowly eliminating my conventional practices looking for a train wreck...hasn't happened YET. Every year there were cows that kept producing good calves without my help. The way I looked at it was that I was discriminating against those good cows by helping the sorry ones....so I sold them. Can my herd be more efficient if I put out mineral? Absolutely! Can my herd be just as efficient if I cull the cows that need the mineral? I don't know, but that is what I looking to find out and I won't find out unless I look.

Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Raising Efficient Cattle Strategies   Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:12 pm

EddieM wrote:


I'll see if I can find Justin Pitt's history of the Pineywoods cattle for you and post it.


[
We often think that we have to make the simple to be hard or maybe we perceive that the history of cattle rasing hangs by a thread from what we do. If we can do a little reading, a little thinking, a lot of listening and very little talking we come to learn and realize that we are not important and our goals will be gone with us. Cattle are not a topic worth a constant war or skirmish for me. Doing our best is essential toward people and animals but assuming ourselve in a pivotal role, as Larry has eluded to the letter about the "crossroads" is ego driven.

Thanks I would enjoy reading the history of the Pineywoods cattle. I understand now what you were trying to say and I agree. I no more wanted a war of words with you than the man in the moon. Thats why I started my post to you "with all due respect".
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin


Posts : 5022
Join date : 2010-09-21

PostSubject: Re: Raising Efficient Cattle Strategies   Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:18 pm

may we always remember and respect our elders Smile

http://www.chillinghamwildcattle.com/index.htm
Back to top Go down
http://www.keeneyscorner.com
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Raising Efficient Cattle Strategies   Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:00 pm

Gregory Walker wrote:

I was always intrigued by the corn growing contests. It is possible in some areas around here to grow around 400 bushels to the acre. The problem with doing that is that the inputs cost more than the gain.

It seems to me that the mainstream beef industry has and will continue to be engaged in a max output chase, and they have lost sight of the fact that after a certain point, the input costs exceed the output gain...

Of course, some of this is subtle. They wake up one morning and realize that they are feeding 1800 lb cows to get their 650 lb calves.

On the other hand. The "we are letting nature take its course.".. no inputs. We will feed hay for only X number of days is just as bad. and maybe worse, as I think they leave a lot of money on the table and potentially give the cattle industry a black eye as some of them draw attention from the local humane society.

There are management things to do that return more than they cost, so I guess in some cases spending money does make you more money. The idea is to find the line and not cross it. That is what I was trying to point out. And yes, you are a smart ass... Smile

See we do have common ground. You are confusing low input with no input. At no time have I or Robert that I know of, ever said we are no input, let nature take it's course. It's these blanket statements that piss me off. We only feed hay for X number of days but we sure as hell don't strave our cattle and I damn sure don't feel like I'm a black eye on the cattle industry. We run fewer cattle and they graze year around if it's not buried under a foot and a half of crusted snow like this year. As soon as this snow goes off we will stop feeding hay and they will go back to grazing again. When they are raised this way they will actually quit the hay and scatter out grazing before we quit feeding. Ive worked on both types of outfits and I've seen them both go broke. One tried to starve a living out of them and the other tried to pound a profit out of them with a feed truck. Oddly enough they were cousins. They both lost their ranches. I'm curious what you base your opinios on? Actual shit on you boots experience or hear say and assumptions?
Back to top Go down
Grassfarmer



Posts : 912
Join date : 2010-09-27
Location : Belmont, Manitoba, Canada

PostSubject: Re: Raising Efficient Cattle Strategies   Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:21 pm

MKeeney wrote:
may we always remember and respect our elders Smile

http://www.chillinghamwildcattle.com/index.htm


Interesting to see the femininity,delicacy and almost "dairy like" front on this cow - seems like nature doesn't favor the fat little barrel type afterall. Mind you there are also pictures of feeding hay so maybe they are more of a "production" outfit than an all natural one Wink
Back to top Go down
http://www.luingcattle.com
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Raising Efficient Cattle Strategies   Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:29 am

Jack McNamee wrote:
Gregory Walker wrote:

I was always intrigued by the corn growing contests. It is possible in some areas around here to grow around 400 bushels to the acre. The problem with doing that is that the inputs cost more than the gain.

It seems to me that the mainstream beef industry has and will continue to be engaged in a max output chase, and they have lost sight of the fact that after a certain point, the input costs exceed the output gain...

Of course, some of this is subtle. They wake up one morning and realize that they are feeding 1800 lb cows to get their 650 lb calves.

On the other hand. The "we are letting nature take its course.".. no inputs. We will feed hay for only X number of days is just as bad. and maybe worse, as I think they leave a lot of money on the table and potentially give the cattle industry a black eye as some of them draw attention from the local humane society.

There are management things to do that return more than they cost, so I guess in some cases spending money does make you more money. The idea is to find the line and not cross it. That is what I was trying to point out. And yes, you are a smart ass... Smile

See we do have common ground. You are confusing low input with no input. At no time have I or Robert that I know of, ever said we are no input, let nature take it's course. It's these blanket statements that piss me off. We only feed hay for X number of days but we sure as hell don't strave our cattle and I damn sure don't feel like I'm a black eye on the cattle industry. We run fewer cattle and they graze year around if it's not buried under a foot and a half of crusted snow like this year. As soon as this snow goes off we will stop feeding hay and they will go back to grazing again. When they are raised this way they will actually quit the hay and scatter out grazing before we quit feeding. Ive worked on both types of outfits and I've seen them both go broke. One tried to starve a living out of them and the other tried to pound a profit out of them with a feed truck. Oddly enough they were cousins. They both lost their ranches. I'm curious what you base your opinios on? Actual shit on you boots experience or hear say and assumptions?



Of course, I only know from what I read. I wish that I could have been around cattle like you and actually had some, but my allergies and a bad asthma condition have kept me indoors almost all of my life. I do breed hairless cats and I am firmly in the low input crowd there. Rarely do I feed any canned food. All dry bagged stuff, which I am sure is the equivalent of your grazing as much as possible. I also purchase a few mice from the pet store so that it is more natural for them. Sylvester, our herd Tom really enjoys a good romp stalking a white mouse out on the Terrazzo floor in the gazebo. Alas, I have to have Maria, our maid, take the mouse and Sylvester out there, while I watch the action on our closed circuit tv system . I am not allowed outside, except during the non-pollen season, which according to my specialist, is from January 1st. to January 14th. I did try to get out on January 13th. this year, but it was chilly, so I stayed in.

I guess that I could have some closed circuit cameras installed here on the estate, but according to the rules of my trust fund, I only have so much money to spend and I might have to lay off either the gardener or the chauffeur. If I could get the cameras set up, I could aquire some of those cute bovines with the white bands around the middle, I think that I would name the first one Oreo... Then in the first two weeks of January next year, I could maybe get some cow poo on my boots and be a real cowboy like you. I just hope that it doesn't make me break out in hives.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Raising Efficient Cattle Strategies   Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:50 am

Gregory Walker wrote:


Of course, I only know from what I read. I wish that I could have been around cattle like you and actually had some, but my allergies and a bad asthma condition have kept me indoors almost all of my life. I do breed hairless cats and I am firmly in the low input crowd there. Rarely do I feed any canned food. All dry bagged stuff, which I am sure is the equivalent of your grazing as much as possible. I also purchase a few mice from the pet store so that it is more natural for them. Sylvester, our herd Tom really enjoys a good romp stalking a white mouse out on the Terrazzo floor in the gazebo. Alas, I have to have Maria, our maid, take the mouse and Sylvester out there, while I watch the action on our closed circuit tv system . I am not allowed outside, except during the non-pollen season, which according to my specialist, is from January 1st. to January 14th. I did try to get out on January 13th. this year, but it was chilly, so I stayed in.

I guess that I could have some closed circuit cameras installed here on the estate, but according to the rules of my trust fund, I only have so much money to spend and I might have to lay off either the gardener or the chauffeur. If I could get the cameras set up, I could aquire some of those cute bovines with the white bands around the middle, I think that I would name the first one Oreo... Then in the first two weeks of January next year, I could maybe get some cow poo on my boots and be a real cowboy like you. I just hope that it doesn't make me break out in hives.

Figured. You can always tell one of you guys, you just can't tell you much.
Back to top Go down
Tom



Posts : 25
Join date : 2010-10-09

PostSubject: Re: Raising Efficient Cattle Strategies   Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:51 am

We have been always been pretty low input, you can't afford to buy enough feed not be when pretty much all you have is dry native range. I think low input heifer developement weeds out the ones that need more feed, and probably lowers there mature size. Most of the ones that stay in the herd will not be big cows or heavy milkers. We always seemed to have more open two and three year old cows than we would like, and the percentage doesn't seem to improve much other than year to year variation from how good the grass was that year. However, it does leave mature cows that fit the environment, as our mature cows consistently breed back 95% or better. We used to have a separate small herd of 70 cows or so that would breed up around 97% most every year, heifers cows and all with very little inputs, but we dispersed them about six or seven years ago.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Raising Efficient Cattle Strategies   Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:07 am

Jack McNamee wrote:
Gregory Walker wrote:


Of course, I only know from what I read. I wish that I could have been around cattle like you and actually had some, but my allergies and a bad asthma condition have kept me indoors almost all of my life. I do breed hairless cats and I am firmly in the low input crowd there. Rarely do I feed any canned food. All dry bagged stuff, which I am sure is the equivalent of your grazing as much as possible. I also purchase a few mice from the pet store so that it is more natural for them. Sylvester, our herd Tom really enjoys a good romp stalking a white mouse out on the Terrazzo floor in the gazebo. Alas, I have to have Maria, our maid, take the mouse and Sylvester out there, while I watch the action on our closed circuit tv system . I am not allowed outside, except during the non-pollen season, which according to my specialist, is from January 1st. to January 14th. I did try to get out on January 13th. this year, but it was chilly, so I stayed in.

I guess that I could have some closed circuit cameras installed here on the estate, but according to the rules of my trust fund, I only have so much money to spend and I might have to lay off either the gardener or the chauffeur. If I could get the cameras set up, I could aquire some of those cute bovines with the white bands around the middle, I think that I would name the first one Oreo... Then in the first two weeks of January next year, I could maybe get some cow poo on my boots and be a real cowboy like you. I just hope that it doesn't make me break out in hives.

Figured. You can always tell one of you guys, you just can't tell you much.


I take exception to your tone sir... I will take this to another venue, if it continues... Namely Cat fanciers Corner where there is a gentleman there of Scandinavian descent who will not tolerate that kind of intellectual intercourse... He comes from one of the biggest cat raising counties in the state of Iowa and is surrounded by good neighbors that will support him no matter what. He also has 3 cute as a button granddaughters. So there!

If that does not give you pause, I will have my butler Charles deal with this situation. He is a brawny man of 100% Celtic descent who has been known to uncork an even dozen bottles of Champaign without even breaking a sweat. I must warn you, he even has a cane that he is not afraid to employ in the defense of me or my personal property. Once when we came out of Cats R Us, a ruffian was leaning against our Limousine and Charles only had to shake the cane menacingly to get him to move. It did turn out to be Javier our gardener, who was waiting for a ride back to the estate, but it could have been a thug of some variety!

Assuming you change your ways, I was wondering if after I get those lovely Galloway cattle, (I googled white banded cattle to find out what they are called) you could teach me some of that delicious cowboy talk you fellows have been throwing around here lately. I simply love phrases like; "get along little doggie" and "howdy partner". I think it would be a big smash at our next little catered gathering. Maybe I could make it a western theme.

At any rate, I am eagerly awaiting some boot Poo, I did help Maria clean the litter boxes a time or two, but it was so much trouble having to wear the anticontaminate suit and having my inhaler in my pocket, and oxygen on standby that I have since left it to her. Hopefully I can let some of the help go and get started on my cattle endeavors.
Back to top Go down
EddieM



Posts : 980
Join date : 2010-09-24
Location : South Carolina

PostSubject: Re: Raising Efficient Cattle Strategies   Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:51 am

Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Raising Efficient Cattle Strategies   Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:55 am

Gregory Walker wrote:




I take exception to your tone sir... I will take this to another venue, if it continues... Namely Cat fanciers Corner where there is a gentleman there of Scandinavian descent who will not tolerate that kind of intellectual intercourse... He comes from one of the biggest cat raising counties in the state of Iowa and is surrounded by good neighbors that will support him no matter what. He also has 3 cute as a button granddaughters. So there!

If that does not give you pause, I will have my butler Charles deal with this situation. He is a brawny man of 100% Celtic descent who has been known to uncork an even dozen bottles of Champaign without even breaking a sweat. I must warn you, he even has a cane that he is not afraid to employ in the defense of me or my personal property. Once when we came out of Cats R Us, a ruffian was leaning against our Limousine and Charles only had to shake the cane menacingly to get him to move. It did turn out to be Javier our gardener, who was waiting for a ride back to the estate, but it could have been a thug of some variety!

Assuming you change your ways, I was wondering if after I get those lovely Galloway cattle, (I googled white banded cattle to find out what they are called) you could teach me some of that delicious cowboy talk you fellows have been throwing around here lately. I simply love phrases like; "get along little doggie" and "howdy partner". I think it would be a big smash at our next little catered gathering. Maybe I could make it a western theme.

At any rate, I am eagerly awaiting some boot Poo, I did help Maria clean the litter boxes a time or two, but it was so much trouble having to wear the anticontaminate suit and having my inhaler in my pocket, and oxygen on standby that I have since left it to her. Hopefully I can let some of the help go and get started on my cattle endeavors.

Now thats funny, I don't care who you are. I tip my hat to you. Your welcome at my camp anytime. Any pilgrim who is hand enough to herd them cats is hand enough fer me. Just watch where you step.
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Raising Efficient Cattle Strategies   Sat Jan 29, 2011 12:51 pm

Mr. Walker, Do you happen to know Coffin Bone, up at the 4.9BarY Ranch? He hangs with It'sColdOutMama in case you know him. I've to deevour a huge steak with some stout coffee and get back on my gelding, Chuckles, so later complete dude.
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin


Posts : 5022
Join date : 2010-09-21

PostSubject: Re: Raising Efficient Cattle Strategies   Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:28 pm

well, the sun is shining in KY today, and even if it wasn`t, you guys could put sunshine in anyone`s day Smile ...I near failed creative writing as a college 1st semester freshman, and then Miss Snow gave me a C second semester when I deserved better... I`ve remembered her name, her looks, and my grade ever since...Amazing how a little lightened up laughter can put a better outook on the day and the people in it...
Back to top Go down
http://www.keeneyscorner.com
EddieM



Posts : 980
Join date : 2010-09-24
Location : South Carolina

PostSubject: Re: Raising Efficient Cattle Strategies   Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:28 pm

Quote :
4.9BarY

Dennis, how big does a cow have to be to get all of that brand on one side or do you just wrap it around from one side to the other?
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Raising Efficient Cattle Strategies   Sat Jan 29, 2011 2:35 pm

Jack McNamee wrote:
Gregory Walker wrote:




I take exception to your tone sir... I will take this to another venue, if it continues... Namely Cat fanciers Corner where there is a gentleman there of Scandinavian descent who will not tolerate that kind of intellectual intercourse... He comes from one of the biggest cat raising counties in the state of Iowa and is surrounded by good neighbors that will support him no matter what. He also has 3 cute as a button granddaughters. So there!

If that does not give you pause, I will have my butler Charles deal with this situation. He is a brawny man of 100% Celtic descent who has been known to uncork an even dozen bottles of Champaign without even breaking a sweat. I must warn you, he even has a cane that he is not afraid to employ in the defense of me or my personal property. Once when we came out of Cats R Us, a ruffian was leaning against our Limousine and Charles only had to shake the cane menacingly to get him to move. It did turn out to be Javier our gardener, who was waiting for a ride back to the estate, but it could have been a thug of some variety!

Assuming you change your ways, I was wondering if after I get those lovely Galloway cattle, (I googled white banded cattle to find out what they are called) you could teach me some of that delicious cowboy talk you fellows have been throwing around here lately. I simply love phrases like; "get along little doggie" and "howdy partner". I think it would be a big smash at our next little catered gathering. Maybe I could make it a western theme.

At any rate, I am eagerly awaiting some boot Poo, I did help Maria clean the litter boxes a time or two, but it was so much trouble having to wear the anticontaminate suit and having my inhaler in my pocket, and oxygen on standby that I have since left it to her. Hopefully I can let some of the help go and get started on my cattle endeavors.

Now thats funny, I don't care who you are. I tip my hat to you. Your welcome at my camp anytime. Any pilgrim who is hand enough to herd them cats is hand enough fer me. Just watch where you step.

P S Dr. Walker If'n you ever do drift out this here way you bring that big Celtic sum bitch with ya. I ain't never whooped a man that could down 12 bottles of that sissy booze but I shore would like to try. You tell him he has to fight with his britches on thou. I ain't fighten no man thats wearin one of those can can dancer skirts. You also leave his misses at home. I'm scareder of them Celtic wimen than I am a bear.
Back to top Go down
Oldtimer

avatar

Posts : 324
Join date : 2010-10-04
Location : Northeast Montana

PostSubject: Re: Raising Efficient Cattle Strategies   Sat Jan 29, 2011 3:09 pm

MKeeney wrote:
well, the sun is shining in KY today, and even if it wasn`t, you guys could put sunshine in anyone`s day Smile ...

Yep--If BS was $ bills we'd be surrounded by Billionaires... Wink Razz Laughing
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin


Posts : 5022
Join date : 2010-09-21

PostSubject: Re: Raising Efficient Cattle Strategies   Sat Jan 29, 2011 3:22 pm

Oldtimer wrote:
MKeeney wrote:
well, the sun is shining in KY today, and even if it wasn`t, you guys could put sunshine in anyone`s day Smile ...

Yep--If BS was $ bills we'd be surrounded by Billionaires... Wink Razz Laughing

Applied to the right audience, BS is dollar bills...but that audience won`t be here Exclamation
Back to top Go down
http://www.keeneyscorner.com
Angus 62



Posts : 145
Join date : 2010-09-26

PostSubject: Re: Raising Efficient Cattle Strategies   Sat Jan 29, 2011 3:35 pm

EddieM there is a new business where for seventy bucks or so you can make up and register a brand that that no one else has and then sell it to some idiot for ten grand or so. I've seen some listed for sale that were so god awful not only would they be unreadable, they wouldn't left enough hair on one side to get an animal thru November.

Did see a /- CO brand sell for $14500 at auction a few weeks back.

As for BS there is always the thread over on the defect site about the 18 sq. in. ribeye bull.

Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Raising Efficient Cattle Strategies   Sat Jan 29, 2011 6:36 pm

Jack McNamee wrote:
Jack McNamee wrote:
Gregory Walker wrote:




I take exception to your tone sir... I will take this to another venue, if it continues... Namely Cat fanciers Corner where there is a gentleman there of Scandinavian descent who will not tolerate that kind of intellectual intercourse... He comes from one of the biggest cat raising counties in the state of Iowa and is surrounded by good neighbors that will support him no matter what. He also has 3 cute as a button granddaughters. So there!

If that does not give you pause, I will have my butler Charles deal with this situation. He is a brawny man of 100% Celtic descent who has been known to uncork an even dozen bottles of Champaign without even breaking a sweat. I must warn you, he even has a cane that he is not afraid to employ in the defense of me or my personal property. Once when we came out of Cats R Us, a ruffian was leaning against our Limousine and Charles only had to shake the cane menacingly to get him to move. It did turn out to be Javier our gardener, who was waiting for a ride back to the estate, but it could have been a thug of some variety!

Assuming you change your ways, I was wondering if after I get those lovely Galloway cattle, (I googled white banded cattle to find out what they are called) you could teach me some of that delicious cowboy talk you fellows have been throwing around here lately. I simply love phrases like; "get along little doggie" and "howdy partner". I think it would be a big smash at our next little catered gathering. Maybe I could make it a western theme.

At any rate, I am eagerly awaiting some boot Poo, I did help Maria clean the litter boxes a time or two, but it was so much trouble having to wear the anticontaminate suit and having my inhaler in my pocket, and oxygen on standby that I have since left it to her. Hopefully I can let some of the help go and get started on my cattle endeavors.

Now thats funny, I don't care who you are. I tip my hat to you. Your welcome at my camp anytime. Any pilgrim who is hand enough to herd them cats is hand enough fer me. Just watch where you step.

P S Dr. Walker If'n you ever do drift out this here way you bring that big Celtic sum bitch with ya. I ain't never whooped a man that could down 12 bottles of that sissy booze but I shore would like to try. You tell him he has to fight with his britches on thou. I ain't fighten no man thats wearin one of those can can dancer skirts. You also leave his misses at home. I'm scareder of them Celtic wimen than I am a bear.

Jack,,, (can I call you Jack?) since I read your invitation, I have been all aflutter searching for a way to make the trip! I began searching ebay for used spacesuits being sold by NASA and I am now actively bidding on a suit last worn by Sven Rograine on appollo mission #22. I think it will fit well, as it says it is a 42 long.

My specialist, Dr. Vosscagalian tells me that if I have the suit on at all times, things should be fine... I now have to break the news to my wife Delores. We live in separate wings here at the estate and I hope to see her on Wednesday when she hosts her dancing to the oldies workout club in our ballroom, which is in my wing. The ebay bidding ends on Tuesday, so the timing is perfect... Delores and I used to sleep together, but with me having to sleep in the plastic bubble and wear the fighter pilot breathing apparatus, things were too complicated.

Of course Charles will be accompanying me and he will bring along his cane in case we encounter any wild indians or Catamounts out there in the west.

Do you have any barn cats? I have a Tom named Captain Charles Vanderbeek III that I would like to present to you in order to bring a little outcrossing to your native cat population. I will also bring 7 sweaters knitted for him by Maria, so that he will not be uncomfortable in the winter weather. You can simply change them each day and have them dry cleaned as needed.

Let me know when it would be good to come.... So long Partner.




Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Raising Efficient Cattle Strategies   Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:27 pm

Dear Dr. Walker,
Well by God. If that don't just beat all. You just come whenever you can. The latch rope is always out. Just wire us so we know when to look for ya and we'll pick you up at the station in the buckboard. You don't mind a buckboard do ya? Ah hell, what am I sayin? Of course you don't as long as you have that space suit on. Ebay huh. I didn't even know Indiana was by the ocean.

We'll start killin tom cats round here so ol Captain Charles whatever will have a fightin chance. I hope he's legged up thou. These ol she cats are a bit native round here. Who'd you say them sweaters is for and whats dry clean? Is that where you don't bath all winter? You know maybe you better bring ol Javier along too, as an interpreter. I cipher mescan just fine but this Yalee you speak kinda throws me off some. No offence. Shoot you use your tongue pruttier then a $3... Ah maybe I better just save that one. It's just sometimes I just don't follow what you're a sayin if you get my drift.

Anyway I'll tell our ol medicine man Howls At The Moon your a coming so if you need any doctorin while your here he'll be ready. Now don't you worry, there ain't a finer man in these parts than ol Howls At The Moon and he'll sure cure what ails ya. He'll git ya well enough you may even be able to go back to sleepin with the misses, if thats an option.

Lookin forward to your visit. Kindest regards, Jack


Last edited by Jack McNamee on Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Raising Efficient Cattle Strategies   Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:56 pm

The hands down at the PrepBarH rode in, ponies lathered up and a fonchin', said they was fixin' to be a big showdown up yur ways. Said the yankees was a comin' an bringin' hell with 'em. They must have rode all day, Ma set 'em out some dogders and little red eye, to insulate their ribs, and I scurried up to apothecary's shack for some 'roid ointment, they always seem to be short on that stuff up at the PrepBarH. Not sure if I can get up yonder 'fer them yanks do. Best I can do for now is send some words of encouragement....I know you appreciate a good philoshifier, and old Mr. Whales sure gave me a good pep talk one time, while holed up in a cabin in West Texas, he said "When it gets tough, and looks like you ain't gonna make it, you gotta get mean, I mean mad dog mean, 'cause if you give up and quit, then you neither live, nor win, and thats just the way it is."

Best I can do fer now Jack, God's speed

Bootheel
Back to top Go down
Guest
Guest



PostSubject: Re: Raising Efficient Cattle Strategies   Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:39 am

Dennis Voss wrote:
Mr. Walker, Do you happen to know Coffin Bone, up at the 4.9BarY Ranch? He hangs with It'sColdOutMama in case you know him. I've to deevour a huge steak with some stout coffee and get back on my gelding, Chuckles, so later complete dude.

Mr. Voss: I have been racking my brain for a memory of the two gentlemen you are referring to... and I think that they may have attended our last Bridge party. Do they speak Hindi by chance? No matter, if they come to play cards again I will inquire as to their names...

I am afraid that I cannot stay long on here, as Dr. Vosscagalian is on his way to make an estate call. My Maria is a single mother and her little tyke is beset with allergies and asthma. I was quite shocked to hear the diagnosis, as my impression of the swarthy people from south of the border is that they were naturally immune to conditions that bedevil more civilized people. Her son is much lighter complected than Maria, and at first I suspected that Charles might be the father, until a day a couple of weeks ago, when I went into the study and found Charles, tears of joy streaming down his face at the news, that they had reversed the Don't ask, Don't tell policy for the military. I immediately removed him from my list of suspects. I only hope that I can keep Charles away from recruitment stations.

Ta Ta for now.
Back to top Go down
Charles



Posts : 60
Join date : 2010-09-24

PostSubject: Re: Raising Efficient Cattle Strategies   Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:36 pm

Sir Gregory!! Sir Gregory!! I am here, this is Clarles you faithful Celtic butler! Sorry for delay, but poor Sylvester the is feeling a bit gimpy and under the weather at the moment. May I suggest that Dr Vosscagalian examine him also during his visit here to the estate? It pains me so to see poor little Sylvester in such a demoralized state, I am beginning to doubt his manhood.

Mr McNamee, you can prepare for our visit shortly. You will recgonize us as we depart the station Of course Sir Gregory will be wearing his newly purchased spacesuit, unless he is unsuccessful in that endeavor, then I will place him in a very large zip-lock baggie for his protection. Either way you will regonize him, he is a handsome manly man and I mean that in the most complimentary way. I myself will be full clothed, I only like to rush around in a natural naked state during the spring fertilty festival when I like to paint myself with red mud from the busom of mother earth. For your information that event is still several months away. Perhaps you would like to join us here for that grand event if you can take a bit of time away from your bovines? Also Mr. McNamee, a fair warning to you, just because I spend a considerable part of each day cleaning the litter boxes, I do not intend to take any doo-doo from anyone out there on your western frontier. As Sir Gregory has stated, his safety and protection is my greatest mission. If anyone considers any violence against us just remember that Sir Gregory and I have watched many westerns and Sir Gregory can saloon fight with the best even in his spacesuit or baggie whichever is the case. If any roughhousing commences, I will be consumed with the study of the physique of your western cowboys. If worse comes to worse, we will call up Maria to defend our honor.

No fears Sir Gregory, I shall not leave your service for alure of of the military. I will admit I perfer to watch Braveheart above all other motion pictures. Reminds me greatly of our life here at the estate.

Charles
Back to top Go down
Oldtimer

avatar

Posts : 324
Join date : 2010-10-04
Location : Northeast Montana

PostSubject: Re: Raising Efficient Cattle Strategies   Sun Jan 30, 2011 5:15 pm

Sounds like Southeast Montana may turn into another Missoula ! Wink Razz Laughing
Back to top Go down
EddieM



Posts : 980
Join date : 2010-09-24
Location : South Carolina

PostSubject: Re: Raising Efficient Cattle Strategies   Sun Jan 30, 2011 6:55 pm

I'm beginning to think that the IBC on the participants might be beyond the first cousin/first cousin level with all of these allergies, cat ranching, rash of piles without ointment and such. Like they say about a clan down toward Augusta, GA, "The family tree looks like a bean pole!" Sounds like the cat isn't the only one that needs to move beyond normal bounds for new genetic adventures. clown
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Raising Efficient Cattle Strategies   

Back to top Go down
 
Raising Efficient Cattle Strategies
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 4 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Similar topics
-
» Raising Efficient Cattle Strategies
» Dunlouise Scottish "Pure" Cattle
» Tropical Cattle Production
» Raising your Vibrations.
» Marketing Trueline and Commercial Cattle

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Keeney`s Corner :: Breeding Philosophies :: Breeding Philosophies-
Jump to: