Keeney`s Corner

A current and reflective discussion of cattle breeding from outside the registered mainstream

HomeUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

2015 Great Lakes Gathering

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Tom D
Admin

PostSubject: Re: 2015 Great Lakes Gathering   Wed Jul 01, 2015 9:38 pm

Just an update on lodging.  I've got all the rooms booked, along with a few extras in case Mike and Leroy can convince any last minute holdouts to attend.

I have rooms booked in Holland at the Doubletree for everyone Wednesday the 22nd, and for some of the early arrivals on Tuesday the 21st.  I was able to get a group rate of about $110 per night.  The hotel is on the edge of town, and only about 15 minutes from my farm.  There is a restaurant/bar and a swimming pool.  And the front desk gives you free warm cookies.

http://doubletree3.hilton.com/en/hotels/michigan/doubletree-by-hilton-hotel-holland-GRRHLDT/index.html

For those staying on Mackinac Island Thursday night, we will be in two hotels: Lilac Tree and Main Street Inn.  They are right next to each other.

http://www.lilactree.com/

http://www.mainstreetinnandsuites.com/

And finally, for Friday and Saturday, we will be staying on the shores of Lake Superior at the AmericInn in Silver City.  The room rate will be about $140 per night including taxes. They have a restaurant and bar, as well as a pool and a sauna; so make sure to bring your swimsuit unless you want to sauna the traditional Finnish way with Hilly. Shocked

http://www.americinn.com/hotels/mi/silvercity

I need to haul bulls up to the ranch tomorrow, but I will try to post another update on the rest of the itinerary in a few days.
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: 2015 Great Lakes Gathering   Mon Jul 13, 2015 1:34 pm

The first ever KC Golf Open Scramble will be held Thursday afternoon at Mission Point; exact time ; pairings, and handicaps will be announced once the field is complete; all attendees, including the ladies, are encouraged to participate. There will be no husband-wife teams; thus preventing the possibility of ruining any romantic spells that the island might cast upon it`s visitors. Over a silly game of Golf, you ask , means you never heard Larry tell the story of the unfilled salt shaker, or Betty lining the sidewalk with Coca-Cola Question Question ...such are the stories that we all have, come and share them as we watch the ships go by ... cheers

Back to top Go down
http://www.keeneyscorner.com
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: 2015 Great Lakes Gathering   Fri Jul 17, 2015 10:03 pm

Leroy says he has questions for discussion/thought in Michigan...here`s one...

As a population is made more pure in purpose and blood; does this also mean that  the population becomes more limited in other economic traits outside those of priority? would this necessitate the final product produced from closer breds, be a 4 way cross rather than a single cross?
example, Can Wagyu be made a profitable commodity{no premiums} product with just one cross?

hope this makes enough sense to consider; yes, I have a motive/agenda with the question Very Happy

Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: 2015 Great Lakes Gathering   Sat Jul 18, 2015 12:49 pm

through natural attrition of opportunists, egoists, and curiosity seekers  inspired by uncompromised principles, the purist core has attained two pizza status which will allow the opportunity for meaningful discussion of objectives from all attending...
I would like everyone to share their market/s niche goal, and the genetic plans to accomplish that goal...don`t be embarrassed how small; for I`m too old to have any except the possibility of maybe somehow helping you accomplish yours...
Back to top Go down
Mark Day

PostSubject: Re: 2015 Great Lakes Gathering   Sat Jul 18, 2015 6:01 pm

Looks like my required family vacation time in the Smokey Mountains is keeping me from a really good time although no more than I golf that part might be worse than seeing a neighbors registered AI bull purchased in Mayslick, KY in with my cows. Hope everyone has a good time.
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: 2015 Great Lakes Gathering   Sun Jul 19, 2015 12:32 pm

Mark Day wrote:
Looks like my required family vacation time in the Smokey Mountains is keeping me from a really good time although no more than I golf that part might be worse than seeing a neighbors registered AI bull purchased in Mayslick, KY in with my cows. Hope everyone has a good time.

nahhh; don`t sweat the golf; it`s often a bad time Evil or Very Mad good news out of Canada this morning...congratulations to the Hilman`s ; cheers
Back to top Go down
Hilly

PostSubject: Re: 2015 Great Lakes Gathering   Mon Jul 20, 2015 10:07 am

Thanks Mike,

He waited right down to the wire to show up but everyone is home and doing fine...

Here is a picture of his existing teammates from last summer in Finland taking a break from fishing for mom to take a picture

The two on the left (Matthew and Caleb) are flying down to the gathering tomorrow with me if all goes as planed, Matthew and Tom's oldest Deacon hit it off at the Canadian gathering so he is really looking forward going.

It will be great to see everyone again Smile
Back to top Go down
outsidethebox

PostSubject: Re: 2015 Great Lakes Gathering   Mon Jul 20, 2015 12:12 pm

Sigh....I am most sad to miss this...and by such a narrow margin.

Michigan is my favorite state...I proclaim my bias. Our family moved to the small town of Pinckney, from northern Indiana, the year I was entering 9th grade. I was a bit slow converting to being a U of M fan. My 3 younger brothers, on the other hand-well, they are die-hards. Two years later I was named to all-state basketball teams. If you would meet me, this would surely have you casting a suspicious eye on this report...I am only 5'2" tall. Many quips apply here. My friends who would agree with me being selected might say say "Don't judge a book by its cover". For a variety of reasons, I have no idea how deserving I was of this accolade. I do know that I was privileged to play for a terrific coach who knew how utilize the talents of his players and put them in optimal positions to be successful.

Ah, but Michigan: For those of you not familiar with Michigan, I believe you are in for a most pleasant surprise. I believe it has more coastline than any of the lower 48 states...it is a water-wonderland. The pristine beauty of its water and landscape is inspiring and humbling. Do your best to make time to drive the Lake Michigan coast...on your way to Mackinac Island. Go to Manistee and take Rt. 22 to, at least, Sleeping Bear Dunes/Glen Haven...then US 31 from Traverse City to Petoskey. For those with time, there are a gazillion options-up the Leelanau Peninsula, the Old Mission Lighthouse....whatever. Then north of Petoskey  take the road through Harbor Springs and drive through the tunnel of trees and on up to Cross Village...and have lunch at the restaurant there...forget the name. Take a table outside and relax and take in the grandeur of the view...of the great lake. From there it is not far to one of the ferry sites...out to the island.

The Island...it's a beauty...a tourist trap...but a gorgeous one. Rent a bike and ride the perimeter of the island. And eat yourself sick on fudge or ice cream or any other vice the strikes your fancy.

The UP: How sad that you will, somehow, have to endure many more miles of Lake Michigan and Lake Superior coastline on your way to the Porcupine Mountain area! (If you need a haircut, you can stop in Engadine and say hey to Tim Miller...he's a preacher-tell him you just want a haircut Smile) Then on west through Munising, home of the Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore and my "terrific coach"-Mr. D. J. Lincoln. And it just keeps going. The hike through the virgin forest section of the Porcupine Mt. S.P. is very nice as is the hike to the Lake of the Clouds. We have tent-camped there on the Superior shore.

So enjoy. Sorry I will miss out. Maybe New Zealand....
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: 2015 Great Lakes Gathering   Mon Jul 20, 2015 10:02 pm

Hilly wrote:
Thanks Mike,

He waited right down to the wire to show up but everyone is home and doing fine...

Here is a picture of his existing teammates from last summer in Finland taking a break from fishing for mom to take a picture

The two on the left (Matthew and Caleb) are flying down to the gathering tomorrow with me if all goes as planed, Matthew and Tom's oldest Deacon hit it off at the Canadian gathering so he is really looking forward going.

It will be great to see everyone again Smile

Linda and I were laughing about Carter`s little sniff during his lecture about proper sandbox play at the museum when we were there; he still has that mischievous , smiling look like he is up to something...I think everyone is in for a good time; I know something of the effort Tom and previous hosts have made; not easy....neither is the effort to just get here for many; coming by plane, car, and boat; someone should have caught a train Smile I limped in about 5 pm; beautiful golf course here; I limped 9 holes with a great score for me...Nolan Ryan and I have two things in common now; primarily Advil... Smile
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: 2015 Great Lakes Gathering   Tue Jul 21, 2015 9:52 am

you gotta get up early to catch the ferry across Lake Michigan...not the best light for pictures; or maybe these guys don`t won`t to be recognized by the mainstreamers peeping in Smile

Back to top Go down
outsidethebox

PostSubject: Re: 2015 Great Lakes Gathering   Tue Jul 21, 2015 12:56 pm

MKeeney wrote:
you gotta get up early to catch the ferry across Lake Michigan...not the best light for pictures; or maybe these guys don`t won`t to be recognized by the mainstreamers peeping in  Smile

Larry, Curly and Moe???

I thought golf wasn't until Thursday.

Back to top Go down
EddieM

PostSubject: Re: 2015 Great Lakes Gathering   Tue Jul 21, 2015 1:39 pm

Three shady characters, no doubt. Maybe 4 as somebody had to take the picture. This place must be north of Nancy, KY; never heard of it!

Eddie, sweating in the south
Back to top Go down
Tom D
Admin

PostSubject: Re: 2015 Great Lakes Gathering   Wed Jul 22, 2015 6:31 am

Addresses for this morning:

9:00 - 4694 35th street, Zeeland

10:00 - 5590 E State Rd, Hastings

12:00 - Byron Center Meats, 8375 Freeland Ave SW, Byron Center
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: 2015 Great Lakes Gathering   Wed Jul 22, 2015 6:59 am

a good day yesterday of gathering...a couple more ships due in today...if the wind picks up; they will be here by morning...

Tom D wrote:
Addresses for this morning:

9:00 - 4694 35th street, Zeeland

10:00 - 5590 E State Rd, Hastings

12:00 - Byron Center Meats, 8375 Freeland Ave SW, Byron Center
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: 2015 Great Lakes Gathering   Thu Jul 23, 2015 7:46 am

good day yesterday...seeds bearing fruit; closely related gene populations being developed in different locations; I am particularly acquainted with and enjoy the A`s at Tom`s, Hilly`s, Keeney, Brown ..little inbred bulls all grown up now into masculine sires; who would have thought their yearling weights were 850; shall I bring him home? or his closer bred son from his dam? does someone need him more than me? gosh, I don`t need him at all; the joy of tru-line... cheers
marketing plans; all different; all good; some independent; some interdependent...

Future Gathering plans; Scotland? or ya reading Grassy? Smile New Zealand? wow; what a write off Cool
couple of days of touristy travel ahead; we`ve seen the parent stock; now to see some results in the production stock in the UP...good preparation for Scotland weather wise? well, no, after watching The Open, probably much too mild...
Thanks to Tom and Family for all their efforts, Briann and John`s contribution to dinner ...another new day, and forward we go...thx to everyone attending cheers
Back to top Go down
Grassfarmer

PostSubject: Re: 2015 Great Lakes Gathering   Thu Jul 23, 2015 8:43 pm

Scotland would be a "write off" too - in terms of seeing or learning much on the breeding front. All depressingly mainstream. Go for the golf, the scenery, the history and crappy weather instead.

Sorry to be missing the fun in Michigan. Busy haying and silaging - until a thunderstorm shut us down tonight.
Back to top Go down
http://www.luingcattle.com
EddieM

PostSubject: Re: 2015 Great Lakes Gathering   Sat Jul 25, 2015 7:01 am

The silence is loud. I guess the Loch Ness monster got them when they ventured too close to the water looking for a golf ball. I figure if Nessie cannot be found at home she must have moved somewhere else. Let's say it is due to global warming 1000 times so that it will become a fact.
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: 2015 Great Lakes Gathering   Sat Jul 25, 2015 8:08 am

Something more closer to the Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald, Eddie...though all survived except the mirror on Tom`s new truck; thankful for that...looking out on the shores of Lake Superior, it`s easy to see Nessie and a host of relatives could reside down in the deep...full day here today, then I want to get headed south before that 300 inches of lake effect snow starts falling on the ranch which can`t be long off...
we`ve yet to solve any great puzzle of cattle breeding; but the pieces are lining up...4 more years ...ever heard that before ? Very Happy
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: 2015 Great Lakes Gathering   Sat Jul 25, 2015 10:35 pm

As the 2015 Gathering reaches a conclusion, my final analysis is Tom has  the infrastructure, and the genetics to complete his very logical vision...he needs only one more key ingredient ...Time...don`t we all Question Smile
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: 2015 Great Lakes Gathering   Sun Jul 26, 2015 10:52 pm

well, well, Lexi wins in Grand Rapids...

while we were out chasing cows... Rolling Eyes

here`s to Pure Michigan cheers
Back to top Go down
rbensmith

PostSubject: Photos of Great Lakes Gathering 2015   Mon Jul 27, 2015 3:23 pm

Thanks for having Kim and I this past week.  We really enjoyed the vacation and spending time with all of you.  You were very welcoming to some "newbies" and we learned more than we have from countless other farm/ranch tours.  Uploading some photos now. . .just have to figure out how to post them.  

This is probably TMI, but we just found out Kim is pregnant. . .only six weeks along (sorry if this messes up Tom and Craig's predictions).  Thanks again!  Ben
Back to top Go down
rbensmith

PostSubject: Re: 2015 Great Lakes Gathering   Mon Jul 27, 2015 4:09 pm

Endsley's Barn:

Zeeland Ranch:

Mackinac Bridge:

Mackinac Carriage Ride:

UP Pasture:

Porcupine Mountains (with Tom and herd in the way):

Eagle's Nest:

On site analysis:

Copper Mining:

Pictured Rock (actual photo, not taken from google):

Michigan coastline:

Canyon Falls:
Back to top Go down
Mark Day

PostSubject: Re: 2015 Great Lakes Gathering   Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:11 am

Beautiful pictures and good looking cattle. Well done.
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: 2015 Great Lakes Gathering   Tue Jul 28, 2015 7:15 am

rbensmith wrote:
Thanks for having Kim and I this past week.  We really enjoyed the vacation and spending time with all of you.  You were very welcoming to some "newbies" and we learned more than we have from countless other farm/ranch tours.  Uploading some photos now. . .just have to figure out how to post them.  

This is probably TMI, but we just found out Kim is pregnant. . .only six weeks along (sorry if this messes up Tom and Craig's predictions).  Thanks again!  Ben

Enjoyed yours and Kim's company Ben...thx for the great pics...101 at Aracdia yesterday;looking for drastic improvement today. 90 the goal
What a place...nearest the Open I will ever be
Back to top Go down
rbensmith

PostSubject: Re: 2015 Great Lakes Gathering   Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:33 am

Glad you made it there, Mike. . .you are getting more out of Michigan in a week than most Michiganders do in a lifetime! Arcadia could host the PGA, but it's just too far out of the way, which is what I like about it. . .
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 2015 Great Lakes Gathering   

Back to top Go down

2015 Great Lakes Gathering
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next