Keeney`s Corner

A current and reflective discussion of cattle breeding from outside the registered mainstream

HomeUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

stockpiled fescue

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
tc

PostSubject: stockpiled fescue   Tue Nov 11, 2014 2:11 pm

I think the Bull is smiling Mike!

Back to top Go down
pukerimu

PostSubject: Re: stockpiled fescue   Tue Nov 11, 2014 3:33 pm

Great photos - interesting your bull is out at the same time of the calendar year as ours but at polar opposite seasons - your calves will be late summer there?
Back to top Go down
http://www.mtmableangus.co.nz
tc

PostSubject: Re: stockpiled fescue   Tue Nov 11, 2014 4:19 pm

pukerimu wrote:
Great photos - interesting your bull is out at the same time of the calendar year as ours but at polar opposite seasons - your calves will be late summer there?  

Yes late summer. a little earlier than usual for me. we usually start to calf mid Sept.
Back to top Go down
Grassfarmer

PostSubject: Re: stockpiled fescue   Tue Nov 11, 2014 10:15 pm

Ouch, no need to rub it in. Your Nov 11 pictures look like September 1st in this neck of the woods. We have 7" of snow here since the weekend and sub -20C. Another winter is upon us in the Great White North.No
Back to top Go down
http://www.luingcattle.com
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: stockpiled fescue   Tue Nov 11, 2014 11:30 pm

tc wrote:

Travis, my first thought seeing your pics was "through the woods to grandma`s house" ...same treat for a cow heading to fescue this time a year...
tell Shirley the bread lasted me a whole two days; Travis is truly blessed; not only is Shirley beautiful/beautiful person; JohnN and I can attest she can cook cheers I think Travis`s cows are fine example of how easily it is to build a good functional cowherd outside the registered mainstream...
Back to top Go down
http://www.keeneyscorner.com
EddieM

PostSubject: Re: stockpiled fescue   Wed Nov 12, 2014 8:39 am

Great looking cows and pasture but especially the clover.
Back to top Go down
Kent Powell

PostSubject: Re: stockpiled fescue   Wed Nov 12, 2014 8:43 am

Beautiful place and cattle Travis.
Back to top Go down
http://powellangus.com
tc

PostSubject: Re: stockpiled fescue   Wed Nov 12, 2014 10:40 am

Grassfarmer wrote:
Ouch, no need to rub it in. Your Nov 11 pictures look like September 1st in this neck of the woods. We have 7" of snow here since the weekend and sub -20C. Another winter is upon us in the Great White North.No

Not rubbing it in Grassfarmer, Just got lucky with enough rain this year to be able to save the grass for now. good luck with the snow this year!
Back to top Go down
tc

PostSubject: Re: stockpiled fescue   Wed Nov 12, 2014 10:46 am

MKeeney wrote:
tc wrote:

Travis, my first thought seeing your pics was "through the woods to grandma`s house" ...same treat for a cow heading to fescue this time a year...
tell Shirley the bread lasted me a whole two days; Travis is truly blessed; not only is Shirley beautiful/beautiful person; JohnN and I can attest she can cook cheers  I think Travis`s cows are fine example of how easily it is to build a good functional cowherd outside the registered mainstream...

Thanks Mike for the kind words, I know i am blessed. Shirley said she's glad you enjoyed the bread.
Back to top Go down
tc

PostSubject: Re: stockpiled fescue   Wed Nov 12, 2014 10:47 am

Kent Powell wrote:

Thank you Kent!
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: stockpiled fescue   Wed Nov 12, 2014 2:07 pm

tc wrote:
Kent Powell wrote:

Thank you Kent!

Travis, I believe you and Shirley and Linda and I have reached a point in life where I believe these pics have special meaning...

the last one reminds of ole farao  telling me I could be as successful as him if I would........ Shocked Shocked
Back to top Go down
tc

PostSubject: Re: stockpiled fescue   Wed Nov 12, 2014 4:20 pm

MKeeney wrote:
tc wrote:
Kent Powell wrote:

Thank you Kent!

Travis, I believe you and Shirley and Linda and I have reached a point in life where I believe these pics have special meaning...

the last one reminds of ole farao  telling me I could be as successful as him if I would........ Shocked Shocked

You are right Mike, they do have a special meaning..
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: stockpiled fescue   Wed Nov 12, 2014 9:04 pm

three more bulls to Arkansas yesterday; seven this year; all sold via my version of the old sausage theory...

the old version...

"...so here's what the sausage game is: You win yourself a market with a nice all-meat sausage, the best sausage you can make. People eat that sausage and they say 'mmm-hmmm!' So now you've established the product, right? Now you can afford to start slipping in a little sawdust. Add the sawdust by small enough increments and no one'll even notice. People will still say 'mmm-hmmm!', because people are creatures of habit. Of course, five or six increments down the road, you'll end up with a product that bears little or no resemblance to what you started with, but you'll get away with it, for a while, at least. Your market share will hold, your profit margin will increase, and everybody will think you're smart." - Leonard Caust - -

my version...
you create a predictable product of known quality to yourself but without the usual trappings of "artificial proof" traditionally promoted...you price it low enough to get the consumer to try it; they like it, they see the value is greater than the price, and you slip the price up a little; but never too much; And you must renew the product; not easy....you won`t win the world; but you`ll win enough...

Back to top Go down
EddieM

PostSubject: Re: stockpiled fescue   Tue Jan 26, 2016 8:31 am

Yesterday

Time to move the wire for the day
" />
Just moved the wire.  See you tomorrow.
" />
Back to top Go down
EddieM

PostSubject: Re: stockpiled fescue   Thu Feb 18, 2016 9:35 am

Lady at church asked about farm things. Told her that one daily chore was to move the poliwire. Discussion ensued. Got to rain or shine, hot or cold, feel good or feel bad: got to move the wire. Final comment: "Well, if you would not be so stingy and let them graze the whole pasture then you would not have to do that." OK, she has dogs. Wonder if when she gets home from Walmart if she pours the whole 25 pound bag of dog food into the dogs bowl?
Back to top Go down
EddieM

PostSubject: Re: stockpiled fescue   Wed May 04, 2016 9:00 am

" />

Slightly mature fescue being used to grow out bulls. Not fast but cheap. And clovers mixed in for good measure. Long yearlings and 2 YOs. FS about 5 so seedheads are tall.
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: stockpiled fescue   Wed May 04, 2016 11:58 am

have you been to the Judy graze mature school Eddie? Cool
Back to top Go down
EddieM

PostSubject: Re: stockpiled fescue   Wed May 04, 2016 1:51 pm

MKeeney wrote:
have you been to the Judy graze mature school Eddie? Cool
I cannot believe some of what I have read of his stuff and surely do not want to pay to hear it in person. Much like starving a profit out of cows, quality plant species magically appear in old long term crop fields, ... I just got behind because my brother had a wood splitter in this pasture and he did not want any "bull adjustments" to his equipment.
Back to top Go down
PatB

PostSubject: Re: stockpiled fescue   Wed May 04, 2016 3:27 pm

The secret to Greg Judy's success is his customers buys the hay he winter's their cows on. It is amazing what tons of hay fed per acre can do for poor run out farm ground.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: stockpiled fescue   

Back to top Go down

stockpiled fescue
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1