Keeney`s Corner

A current and reflective discussion of cattle breeding from outside the registered mainstream

HomeUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Three to go to new homes

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
AuthorMessage
jonken

PostSubject: Re: Three to go to new homes   Sat Jan 23, 2016 4:33 pm

Eddie,

The offspring of your lineage have no doubt about their purpose....  This ram knows his job!  When there are no ewes needing his service he is pestering the heifers.  They tolerate him and in exchange for his admiration offer him safety from coyotes.    The picture says it all.... he despises green sawdust so much that he prefers to stand in the brown dirt instead of the green grass:)   The rewards of your genetic foundation!
Back to top Go down
EddieM

PostSubject: Re: Three to go to new homes   Sat Jan 23, 2016 9:49 pm

Thanks for the great pictures and the great stories but this is killing my replacement ram selling business. Laughing How can I create a need for replacement rams when the two of you are practicing and proving merit to linebreeding? Isn't that a mere precursor to witchcraft? We need something new, mull over the options, posts on chat sites, pomp and ceremony, a little green sawdust under the hooves and ranges of prices to improve our flocks and herds and pick just the sire to import improvements, don't we? What's all of this contentment over success from owned genetics stuff? A month late but Bah Humbug!

Just kidding of course and somebody tell me why it works for these sheep and not for other sheep breeds and cattle? Been thinking about needed excitement here and I might choose a farm theme song: "I'm my own grandpa". Might not impress the good, hard working salt of the earth commercial cattlemen either here or in another state that is a hotbed of presidential politics but so what. No change with or without a song: nothing exciting about the common and the proven.
Back to top Go down
outsidethebox

PostSubject: Re: Three to go to new homes   Sun Jan 24, 2016 7:18 am

EddieM wrote:
Thanks for the great pictures and the great stories but this is killing my replacement ram selling business.   Laughing How can I create a need for replacement rams when the two of you are practicing and proving merit to linebreeding?  Isn't that a mere precursor to witchcraft?  We need something new, mull over the options, posts on chat sites, pomp and ceremony, a little green sawdust under the hooves and ranges of prices to improve our flocks and herds and pick just the sire to import improvements, don't we?  What's all of this contentment over success from owned genetics stuff?  A month late but Bah Humbug!  

Just kidding of course and somebody tell me why it works for these sheep and not for other sheep breeds and cattle?  Been thinking about needed excitement here and I might choose a farm theme song: "I'm my own grandpa".  Might not impress the good, hard working salt of the earth commercial cattlemen either here or in another state that is a hotbed of presidential politics but so what.  No change with or without a song: nothing exciting about the common and the proven.

Well, I know what is missing from this story, that you are not telling us, Mr. Eddie. You have purchased those Championship Panels haven't you Razz Razz Embarassed Evil or Very Mad
Back to top Go down
EddieM

PostSubject: Re: Three to go to new homes   Sun Jan 24, 2016 8:13 am

outsidethebox wrote:
EddieM wrote:
Thanks for the great pictures and the great stories but this is killing my replacement ram selling business.   Laughing How can I create a need for replacement rams when the two of you are practicing and proving merit to linebreeding?  Isn't that a mere precursor to witchcraft?  We need something new, mull over the options, posts on chat sites, pomp and ceremony, a little green sawdust under the hooves and ranges of prices to improve our flocks and herds and pick just the sire to import improvements, don't we?  What's all of this contentment over success from owned genetics stuff?  A month late but Bah Humbug!  

Just kidding of course and somebody tell me why it works for these sheep and not for other sheep breeds and cattle?  Been thinking about needed excitement here and I might choose a farm theme song: "I'm my own grandpa".  Might not impress the good, hard working salt of the earth commercial cattlemen either here or in another state that is a hotbed of presidential politics but so what.  No change with or without a song: nothing exciting about the common and the proven.

Well, I know what is missing from this story, that you are not telling us, Mr. Eddie. You have purchased those Championship Panels haven't you Razz Razz Embarassed Evil or Very Mad

A funny but my usual dull type story: First sheep, had to get them penned up for the Vet to see and had nothing to use. Got 4 cow panels and bought them over, set them up, put some feed inside and PROTO, shut all of the sheep inside. Went to meet the Vet at the pasture gate, told her I had them penned, turned around to point at my success story and every sheep was right behind me! Maybe if I put a pile of green sawdust inside they would have stayed for the glamor and excitement. I just didn't know that then.
Back to top Go down
larkota

PostSubject: Re: Three to go to new homes   Sun Jan 24, 2016 6:54 pm

EddieM wrote:

I have been doing some thinking and what I came up with is... What value are they? like feral hogs they appear to be gaining ground north and east of starter flock. I have yet to hear how well they taste or rate of gain. Owners tend to give them away as a parting gift for buying beef seedstock. Looks to take about 3 years of breeding this flock to maintain numbers, depending on number of bulls sold. Is this meant to keep buyers coming back or away? Besides pestering heifers, and great sexual appetite with the ability to multiply like yearling EPD's, is there other value I'm missing?

I have tried the same gimmick with donkeys....to date I have only had 1 taker and he hasn't been back.

Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Three to go to new homes   Sun Jan 24, 2016 8:08 pm

The illustrious Sewall Wright did his work with guinea pigs scratch
Back to top Go down
http://www.keeneyscorner.com
EddieM

PostSubject: Re: Three to go to new homes   Sun Jan 24, 2016 9:06 pm

Quote :
What value are they?
My opinion: they make the best F1 commercial ewes a person can own if they want a 3 way cross terminal. Reason is the same as any good linebreeding story- prepotency. The ewes become lighter weight yet great mothers.

Like a lot of survival type species they do not excel in rate of gain. To make lamb sales to repeat customers it takes selection and lambs hitting 12 months rather than the big woolies going at 3 to 5 months. At 12 months we have had HCW at 53% of LW. I have selected/culled for muscling in rams. But it is a grass/grain difference too. These are parasite resistant, no docking, no shearing, year-round breeding, heat resistant, browsers and grazers ... These actually taste milder than woolies because the taste is proportional to the lanolin in the wool. With hair - less lanolin. We have eaten them up to 18 months old and enjoyed the meat. They sell well here in the SE USA for ethnic markets because we do not have a strong commercial type market historically.

But every breed and every breeder have their story. You have to trust the source or walk away just like every part of life.
Back to top Go down
EddieM

PostSubject: Re: Three to go to new homes   Tue Jan 26, 2016 8:27 am

A few more of the same breed.  Part of the Linebreeding Men's Club her on the farm. " />

Want to read more?  The most recent newsletter tells an abbreviated history and also highlights a crossbreeding success story. You might even recognize a name along the way.

http://stcroixsheep.org/newsletters/
Back to top Go down
jonken

PostSubject: Re: Three to go to new homes   Wed Feb 03, 2016 12:27 am

quote]What value are they? [/quote]

Simplicity -the neglected Value.    

For us the sheep started out as something an enthusiastic young lady wanted to take on as “her own” project, and one that seemed financially affordable as a starter for someone not yet a teenager. They graze alongside the cows, preferring the woody vegetation the cattle leave behind.  No shearing, no worming, no hoof trimming, no tail docking, and  clean up an unused barn lot of weeds better than imagined.  Other than being simple, the most valuable thing in my mind is the contradictory yet stimulating evidence provided to a young mind faced with sorting through academia’s message that it must be more complicated to be valuable.  I constantly read of the need for schools to teach “critical thinking.”  I’ve never understood how that can be accomplished without a situation for one to apply “critical thinking.”   For now, this is their value to us and it seems to be enough.
I read an article about legendary coach John Wooden this evening and reminded of a story about a young coach who had reached out to Coach Wooden in search of “how he became so successful and how he maintained that success.”    The young coach shared that he had written pages of notes during his visit, desperate to find the magic.  In the end, Wooden’s secret was nothing more than;  "Always practice simplicity with constant repetition."  
Seems applicable to most aspects of life.
-Kendra
Back to top Go down
Bob H

PostSubject: Re: Three to go to new homes   Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:19 am

Kendra we cannot do this as it takes the I out of the picture. Bob H
Back to top Go down
EddieM

PostSubject: Re: Three to go to new homes   Sat Apr 30, 2016 12:41 pm

" />
715 just off of the trailer and ready for work.
Back to top Go down
EddieM

PostSubject: Re: Three to go to new homes   Thu Jun 16, 2016 11:58 am

Talk about feeling dumb. Yesterday I started to put an ad in the state farm bulletin to try to sell a home raised bull that is inbred but also happens to be good on calving ease. I have him out with heifers to possibly sire his replacement. I looked up his birth date and the rascal is over 7 YO. Nobody would want to use him. But when I went out this morning to check things, he and the heifers went romping across the pasture like young calves. It is a dilemma when a bull refuses to show his age and wear out. I guess I need better genetics.
Back to top Go down
larkota

PostSubject: Re: Three to go to new homes   Thu Jun 16, 2016 2:13 pm

Martin Name Meaning and Origin - Genealogy

SO EDDIE WHAT IS YOUR COUNTRY OF ORIGIN?
ARE YOU A CROSSBRED OR A FULLBLOOD?
GUMMER OR FULL SET OF TEETH?
YOUR EPD'S?
Back to top Go down
EddieM

PostSubject: Re: Three to go to new homes   Thu Jun 16, 2016 4:56 pm

larkota wrote:
Martin Name Meaning and Origin - Genealogy

SO EDDIE WHAT IS YOUR COUNTRY OF ORIGIN?
ARE YOU A CROSSBRED OR A FULLBLOOD?  
GUMMER OR FULL SET OF TEETH?
YOUR EPD'S?

Martin is not supposed to be my name. My name, due to a killing, was changed from Woodsides via an ancestor.
My country of origin is South Carolina. I have never traveled to foreign countries like California or New York.
I am 100% me.
I have a full set of teeth and most of them are mine.
EPDs: sleeping +10 eating +40 general good looks -7 laziness +102

P. S. It is embarrassing to admit but I have had dandruff in times past.

What else?
Back to top Go down
EddieM

PostSubject: Re: Three to go to new homes   Sat Jul 02, 2016 12:49 pm

]

Today when I went up to fix fences the boys came up to see if I needed help planting some sweet potatoes. They were glad to rotate to more fescue and a new strip of switchgrass. Running and frocking and grazing in the heat of the morning seemed to be a pretty good gene test. One poor old soul is an AI calf and carries more hair but seems to function OK. The rest of them are half brothers, at least and look like buzz cut bulls. About 30 months or 18 months old. Any of the bro's suit me.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Three to go to new homes   

Back to top Go down

Three to go to new homes
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 4 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4