Keeney`s Corner

A current and reflective discussion of cattle breeding from outside the registered mainstream

HomeUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Three to go to new homes

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
RobertMac

PostSubject: Re: Three to go to new homes   Sat Dec 05, 2015 9:05 am

Grassfarmer wrote:
RobertMac wrote:
Grassfarmer wrote:
What are the downsides of having ph's over 7.5 robertmac or Eddie? Up to 7.5 seems to be optimum but no-one tells you what the downside is beyond that.

If the region and soil type are prone to alkalinity, the forage class that is there will show little effect until alkalinity moves toward extremes.

So what is an extreme? PH scale is 0-14. Where are other areas of high ph soil in the world that is farmed and what are the levels?

GF, you are making me use brain cells I haven't used in a while.
The pH scale is exponential, meaning 8 is 10 times more alkaline than 7 and 9 is 100 times more alkaline. Generally, plants do reasonably well between 6 and 8. I would call "extreme" when things get close to 5 and 9. My top soils are in the mid 5's to 6...sub soils going into 4's.

The arid, western U.S. has some alkaline soils. I don't know about western Canada.
Back to top Go down
EddieM

PostSubject: Re: Three to go to new homes   Sat Dec 05, 2015 8:07 pm

If you do a search on high pH soils and the world there are maps to study. In SC, one of the plants to indicate high pH soils was saw palmetto.
Back to top Go down
EddieM

PostSubject: Re: Three to go to new homes   Thu Dec 10, 2015 9:59 am

Well, they are rolling off of the shelf but maybe a little motion, promotion and commotion is always needs. Will try to write some background music and rent outdoor speakers and sound system lined up. Will be working on "seasonal songs" to make the bull sales merry and bright like "Silver Bulls", "Oh Rest ye little bull sale guys, I don't believe what you say", "It will be a blue Christmas without my black bull" and "Hark the grass developed bulls doth bellow", "I'm dreaming of a black calf crop" I have to come up with some different idea since I do not have bad uddered donor cows to picture and the grandmothers were not high priced - just good function cattle. We even have a local Elvis impersonator who is know of by a few people in several states and some nursing homes that I could possibly hire to record the remakes. It beats barking dogs and both grandmas dies of natural causes so I have not reindeer linkage.
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Three to go to new homes   Tue Dec 15, 2015 3:00 am

RobertMac wrote:
Grassfarmer wrote:
RobertMac wrote:
Grassfarmer wrote:
What are the downsides of having ph's over 7.5 robertmac or Eddie? Up to 7.5 seems to be optimum but no-one tells you what the downside is beyond that.

If the region and soil type are prone to alkalinity, the forage class that is there will show little effect until alkalinity moves toward extremes.

So what is an extreme? PH scale is 0-14. Where are other areas of high ph soil in the world that is farmed and what are the levels?

GF, you are making me use brain cells I haven't used in a while.
The pH scale is exponential, meaning 8 is 10 times more alkaline than 7 and 9 is 100 times more alkaline. Generally, plants do reasonably well between 6 and 8. I would call "extreme" when things get close to 5 and 9. My top soils are in the mid 5's to 6...sub soils going into 4's.

The arid, western U.S. has some alkaline soils. I don't know about western Canada.

Using cows as plows rather than to pull plows ...fescue sod in preparation for frost seeding clover in Feb; with a 4 wheeler; about 20 acres/hr

after and before across the non- visible fence wire

Back to top Go down
http://www.keeneyscorner.com
EddieM

PostSubject: Re: Three to go to new homes   Mon Dec 28, 2015 11:38 am

Had a first yesterday. Got home in wee hours, glanced at the mail and had a Christmas card from one of the bulls I sold recently. Said he was fitting in and wanted me to come see him. I need an EPD for that: penmanship.
Back to top Go down
EddieM

PostSubject: Re: Three to go to new homes   Mon Jan 04, 2016 6:13 pm

Boy, am I glad the holidays are over. I never know what to give folks, especially little kids. The little kids today have so much: stuff animals, balls, games, electronics, ... So I thought, "What is it that every little kid seems to want and doesn't have?" That worked out great as a brainstorming technique. I bought each one of them a big box of matches.
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Three to go to new homes   Mon Jan 04, 2016 6:28 pm

Eddie, next year, I`d like a drone for Christmas...all the other little kids have one Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
Bob H

PostSubject: Re: Three to go to new homes   Mon Jan 04, 2016 8:43 pm

Eddie I went thru that dilemma with my first grand daughter. So when she was 2 on Christmas eve day her and I went to a toy store and she picked out what she wanted and we were both happy. Now I have 8 grandchildren and on Christmas eve day we all go shopping and have a ball. They start asking in September if we are going again. Bob H
Back to top Go down
EddieM

PostSubject: Re: Three to go to new homes   Tue Jan 05, 2016 8:28 am

MKeeney wrote:
Eddie, next year, I`d like a drone for Christmas...all the other little kids have one Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
Mike, I am so behind the times, if I bought you something like a drone when you opened the box on that frosty morning it would probably be a homing pigeon.
Back to top Go down
EddieM

PostSubject: Re: Three to go to new homes   Fri Jan 08, 2016 9:51 am

Thanks for reading along on this thread. The last bull for this year sold yesterday by recommendations of a friend who uses our bulls. Another bull buyer = another friend.
Back to top Go down
larkota

PostSubject: Re: Three to go to new homes   Fri Jan 08, 2016 10:46 am

Eddie I had many friends in the past.....they are getting fewer each year.

remember Darla rubbing my back [more like digging her claws] when I was bidding on a Forever Lady cow. WOW was I somebody.  Very Happy  Couple years later sat in front of them at another high roller sale and she didn't know who I was. Sad
Back to top Go down
EddieM

PostSubject: Re: Three to go to new homes   Fri Jan 08, 2016 1:16 pm

I see selling decent cattle as a service business not as a product business. The people are primary over the service (cattle, sheep, whatever) and some appreciate you helping them figure out what they need. A number of times I can help them by phone and tell them not to waste a trip as I do not have what they want. Other times it takes a visit to let them know I am real and the animals are real. Last bull buyer paid little attention to me, had testimony of prior buyer who brought him, looked at the bulls and said, "Wow, they all have good feet and legs." I guess I never thought that I wanted to sell an animal to anyone that had known faults but some do. He will be pleased with this bull to breed crossbred heifers and I am glad for him. If they come and do not like what I have I try to help them find other cattle more to their liking, if I can. That is the way I want to be treated and remembered.
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Three to go to new homes   Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:52 pm

If I sell an Angus bull tomorrow, is that a Black Friday Sale?
[url=]715[/url]

[url=

[url=

here`s your high priced competition Eddie

http://www.sustainablegenetics.com/pinebank-southeast.html

some genes surely drown on the voyage from NZ...EPIGENICS I SUPPOSE Rolling Eyes

Last edited by MKeeney on Wed Jan 20, 2016 6:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
EddieM

PostSubject: Re: Three to go to new homes   Wed Jan 20, 2016 5:27 pm

Or a problem in language translation. How do you say ugly in New Zealand?
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Three to go to new homes   Wed Jan 20, 2016 6:48 pm

You can take the genes out of the country, but you can`t take the country out of the genes...
Back to top Go down
pukerimu

PostSubject: Re: Three to go to new homes   Wed Jan 20, 2016 8:01 pm

EddieM wrote:
Or a problem in language translation.  How do you say ugly in New Zealand?

FUGLY - do you need to have an explanation as to what the "F" stands for?

I am wondering what they did with the rest of the back end of those animals because apparently they have been cleaved down to the hocks - that is the only way I could think to explain the lack of any muscle whatsoever down the hind legs. Not a fan even if that is unpatriotic to say so - I think there are better examples of both Pinebank and NZ cattle to be had to be honest.
Back to top Go down
http://www.mtmableangus.co.nz
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Three to go to new homes   Thu Jan 21, 2016 1:15 am

The price is absurd ...but there are fools to be found and impressed, that is the function of the con man...
Back to top Go down
Bob H

PostSubject: Re: Three to go to new homes   Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:03 am

Looks to be what to do to get outliers that will not breed for consistency. Bob H
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Three to go to new homes   Fri Jan 22, 2016 11:20 am

http://www.sustainablegenetics.com/pinebank-southeast.html

Maybe the philosophy below is more applicable to the Southeast than Fallon`s...or maybe it`s just the cattle...I find more fault with the con than I do the cattle in the above link...

http://profitableranching.com/Profitable_Ranching/Cattle_files/JohannSelection-AlanNewport.pdf
Back to top Go down
EddieM

PostSubject: Re: Three to go to new homes   Fri Jan 22, 2016 11:52 am

article wrote:
"Full" appearance: This bull bred by Johann Zietsman in Zimbabwe was typical of the
type of cattle he says clearly fit that environment because he had this very full
appearance
despite difficult conditions.

Several of us would look like we fit our environment in terms of full and round! Glad to know that I have a high level of adaptation.
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Three to go to new homes   Fri Jan 22, 2016 2:38 pm

Eddie, instead of the Queen`s White Herd, in another 500 years , these will be the Hired Help`s Herd{partial herd pic}...no additional outside blood, no nothing for management, and sometimes poor feed...when did you deliver these specimen`s up here?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chillingham_cattle
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Three to go to new homes   Fri Jan 22, 2016 7:01 pm

Back to top Go down
EddieM

PostSubject: Re: Three to go to new homes   Fri Jan 22, 2016 8:19 pm

Eddie, instead of the Queen`s White Herd, in another 500 years , these will be the Hired Help`s Herd{partial herd pic}...no additional outside blood, no nothing for management, and sometimes poor feed...when did you deliver these specimen`s up here?

October 1, 2010
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Three to go to new homes   Fri Jan 22, 2016 9:36 pm

EddieM wrote:

October 1, 2010

495 to go cheers
Back to top Go down
jonken

PostSubject: Re: Three to go to new homes   Sat Jan 23, 2016 4:23 pm

Eddie-
Your foundation and work transplanted (via Junior)  into the hands of a  12 year old girl in Missouri..

First day of  Missouri environment... 2012  3 ewe lambs and a ram lamb.

First lambing in 2013--  triplets --maternal genetics for sure.

January 2016-- no outside genetics, management from a now 14 year old girl -- just a transplant from the original lineage line via Kentucky.  
They have no idea what green sawdust is, nor do they need too!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Three to go to new homes   

Back to top Go down

Three to go to new homes
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next