Keeney`s Corner

A current and reflective discussion of cattle breeding from outside the registered mainstream

HomeUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Three to go to new homes

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
EddieM

PostSubject: Three to go to new homes   Sat Oct 25, 2014 1:53 pm

Three bulls for sale.  All half brothers.  One going towards 3 YO and two in the 18 month range.  Grass developed so no bragging weights but sound long use has a better chance for these.  If you don't need data or records, just look at the pictures.   Razz If you want info, I can do that.  Thanks.

Almost 3 YO bull used here lightly last year and more this year

Two younger bulls 808, left, better to try on cows and 810 , right, is calving ease

Back to top Go down
Kent Powell

PostSubject: Re: Three to go to new homes   Sat Oct 25, 2014 2:41 pm

What is the plant between the two bulls?

Back to top Go down
http://powellangus.com
EddieM

PostSubject: Re: Three to go to new homes   Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:55 pm

Kent Powell wrote:
What is the plant between the two bulls?

Dog fennel. I ought to spray to control it but do not want to take out legumes. A wick would do good but I have not had the time. Oddly, when it is killed by frost and freeze, it is the first thing grazed by donkeys when strip grazing and there is very little in the sheep pastures so I assume they control it. In time as fences change and sheep go across the pastures we will see. Extra tidbit for free: A dog fennel plant can do a good imitation of a deer in the early morning light with a light breeze!
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Three to go to new homes   Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:37 am

looks like James is selling a nice set of bulls...about half of the dams are KA genetics; not screwed up totally with infertile puds ...yet Smile

http://superiorlivestock.com/onlineVideoCatalog/?contractId=1228&lot=4#lot

wondering how you get forage in the shiny bin...bet it is really hell getting grass out a 4 inch auger...

below, I see the best cows selling are Keeney sired once again...of course, I just looked at the pictures Very Happy

http://www.embrookfarm.com/2014_sale_catalog.pdf

could it be there`s a different outcome in preserving rarity versus creating goodness?
Back to top Go down
http://www.keeneyscorner.com
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Three to go to new homes   Mon Nov 03, 2014 7:21 pm

EddieM wrote:
Three bulls for sale.  All half brothers.  One going towards 3 YO and two in the 18 month range.  Grass developed so no bragging weights but sound long use has a better chance for these.  If you don't need data or records, just look at the pictures.   Razz If you want info, I can do that.  Thanks.

Almost 3 YO bull used here lightly last year and more this year

Two younger bulls 808, left, better to try on cows and 810 , right, is calving ease

Eddie, your bulls look more attractive everyday  Exclamation  

The "eastern pcc solar " bulls averaged $5900 {note...they all had "papers" and "reputation" validating their worth  Shocked  }

to paraphrase Art Linkletter,

Kids do the damnest things   cheers

a toast

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HvPAurg7dmw
Back to top Go down
Tom D
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Three to go to new homes   Mon Nov 03, 2014 9:12 pm

Raising solar powered cattle with your fracking lease money. God Bless America.
Back to top Go down
EddieM

PostSubject: Re: Three to go to new homes   Tue Nov 04, 2014 8:06 am

MK wrote:
they all had "papers" and "reputation" validating their worth
They all had highly advertised linkage to a national program which trumped all else. What would have been the real advertising cost of each bull or asked another way, what would be the "real profit" per cow on the farm or per bull sold??

I guess I value and enjoy peace and tranquility too much. I like it quiet and reasonable. I need to haul one bull this week and others will be looked over by a buyer later this week. To each his own.
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Three to go to new homes   Tue Nov 04, 2014 8:59 am

EddieM wrote:
MK wrote:
they all had "papers" and "reputation" validating their worth
They all had highly advertised linkage to a national program which trumped all else.  What would have been the real advertising cost of each bull or asked another way, what would be the "real profit" per cow on the farm or per bull sold??  

I guess I value and enjoy peace and tranquility too much.  I like it quiet and reasonable.  I need to haul one bull this week and others will be looked over by a buyer later this week.  To each his own.

a great attribute of human nature is for each to look on the bright side of his own situation...Pharo and James are happier with all that extra money; and I`m happier without Pharo and James...for their customers that become unhappy in time; we`ll sell more bull, less BS, for less than half that price come spring...and would be ashamed to ask more; for mine aren`t worth $6000 to me; why should they be to you?...replacements are too easily made; as are the PCC`s...

“The noblest art is that of making others happy”
― P.T. Barnum

some are happier spending more; give me the portion happier to be spending less...I search for green fee value every day...I don`t have to be at Pebble Beach to see a nine iron shot land 10 feet from the pin to be happy about it... cheers
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Three to go to new homes   Tue Nov 04, 2014 12:49 pm

Tom D wrote:

you really shouldn`t be so sarcastic during a decisive time for the country while so many other serious breeders are holding prayer vigils for the AAA...
Back to top Go down
pukerimu

PostSubject: Re: Three to go to new homes   Tue Nov 04, 2014 1:50 pm

That is funny Mike - it will be interesting to see what comes out of the whole "thing" - will be watching - happily the agenda driven bus seems to have come to crashing halt in NZ and some sensibility is reigning - no doubt the agenda drivers are back rooming trying to find another vehicle but we are staying well clear and ignorance is in deed bliss Surprised
Back to top Go down
http://www.mtmableangus.co.nz
pukerimu

PostSubject: Re: Three to go to new homes   Tue Nov 04, 2014 1:52 pm

EddieM wrote:
 I need to haul one bull this week and others will be looked over by a buyer later this week.  To each his own.

Happy to hear the bulls are all homed Eddie - nice cattle
Back to top Go down
Grassfarmer

PostSubject: Re: Three to go to new homes   Tue Nov 04, 2014 3:05 pm

Tom D wrote:

You get fracking lease money? God Bless America indeed.
Here the b$#%%^& drill underneath you from just outside your property line. No compensation, no input in the process. This in the province that wrote legislation to allow cabinet to "extinguish" your property title with no right to compensation and specifically no recourse through law courts to challenge any such decision. Alberta - so far to the right it's communist Evil or Very Mad
Back to top Go down
http://www.luingcattle.com
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Three to go to new homes   Tue Nov 04, 2014 3:20 pm

pukerimu wrote:
That is funny Mike - it will be interesting to see what comes out of the whole "thing" - will be watching - happily the agenda driven bus seems to have come to crashing halt in NZ and some sensibility is reigning - no doubt the agenda drivers are back rooming trying to find another vehicle but we are staying well clear and ignorance is in deed bliss Surprised

today is election day in the USA Megan; Sunday night my phone ran at 3:30 am...as I awoke, my first thought was surely that damn bastard McConnell robot has not called me again after 3 times Sunday...to my relief; it was 911 as evidenced then by the police car flashers in my yard, cattle had been out on the highway...these deputies, that would have made OT proud, had them held in the driveway; and to even greater relief, they belonged to the neighbor...called the son, a politician himself, and he didn`t answer ; probably getting his rest{Monday`s are hell; he stays in the office until at least 2 pm}...so me, my dog, and the deputies eased the 6 head right back down the road through the open gate from whence they came...may all of life`s mis-adventures; including the AAA`s,  end as well... cheers

Happiness is like a butterfly: the more you chase it, the more it will elude you, but if you turn your attention to other things, it will come and sit softly on your shoulder.

Henry David Thoreau
Back to top Go down
EddieM

PostSubject: Re: Three to go to new homes   Tue Nov 04, 2014 8:23 pm

pukerimu wrote:
EddieM wrote:
 I need to haul one bull this week and others will be looked over by a buyer later this week.  To each his own.

Happy to hear the bulls are all homed Eddie - nice cattle

We'll see. The buyer is a potential and sounded like one bull would be enough so there are more sale(s) before it is a done deal.
Back to top Go down
EddieM

PostSubject: Re: Three to go to new homes   Sat Nov 08, 2014 9:46 pm

Had a visit today by 3 generations: mother, two sons and 2 granddaughters. They were nice folks who came 100 miles to look for a bull. They seemed to find something that was useful and it was one of those type sales that let's me remember why I enjoy cattle and families who have cows. Not a much better way to enjoy a fall morning with a little nip in the air and the changing leaves.
Back to top Go down
Mark Day

PostSubject: Re: Three to go to new homes   Sun Nov 09, 2014 6:27 am

Very nice Eddie. We all need moments like that at times. They don't really happen all of a sudden though as they are the result of your dedicated efforts over the years.
Back to top Go down
RobertMac

PostSubject: Re: Three to go to new homes   Sun Nov 09, 2014 10:41 am

I'm a terrible salesman...I'd end up giving the bull away in a sell like that.
Back to top Go down
EddieM

PostSubject: Re: Three to go to new homes   Sat Oct 24, 2015 12:54 pm

Back in the bull sale business. Nothing big, fancy and only 5 or 6 to sell. Everything from growth type to easy calving. Home bred and a few AI sired for comparatives. Recent BSE and semen test. 19 months old to 4 years old. Same thing as prior - natural slick hair, express fescue resistance without DNA test, sound feet and legs, athletic, gentle, developed on forage for long use as breeders, half sibs and sire will go back out to breed cows here next spring. Pretty simple and the most pleasure I can have with cattle. Thanks.
Back to top Go down
EddieM

PostSubject: Re: Three to go to new homes   Mon Nov 09, 2015 12:55 pm

We are headed for 20" of rain in three weeks as it is still raining now. Too wet for most things to do so I called an 83YO man who bought a bull last year to see how all was going for him. Water was up to the bridge, yard is flooded, health is good, wife fell recently, ... But the bull was a hit. It was a home raised, forage grown, no-famous sire type that is the same as the current sale models. Charlie had 20+ purchased heifers and the 2015 record was a 100% untouched calf crop. The bull seemed small to him in 2014 but is now a big bull and still a gentle one, too. This type dealings with local folks makes the cow business pretty enjoyable. Environment and genetics working in harmony - can't beat the combo. A few more to go and then there is always next year's group. Not better or worse -save that for marriage, just more of the same in 2016.
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Three to go to new homes   Mon Nov 09, 2015 2:17 pm

EddieM wrote:
We are headed for 20" of rain in three weeks as it is still raining now.  Too wet for most things to do so I called an 83YO man who bought a bull last year to see how all was going for him.  Water was up to the bridge, yard is flooded, health is good, wife fell recently, ...  But the bull was a hit.  It was a home raised, forage grown, no-famous sire type that is the same as the current sale models.  Charlie had 20+ purchased heifers and the 2015 record was a 100% untouched calf crop.  The bull seemed small to him in 2014 but is now a big bull and still a gentle one, too.  This type dealings with local folks makes the cow business pretty enjoyable.   Environment and genetics working in harmony - can't beat the combo.  A few more to go and then there is always next year's group.  Not better or worse -save that for marriage, just more of the same in 2016.

just dropping this under your sale topic Eddie... has the growth numbered Angus become the feedlot dying exotic ?

Overlooked in the rush for growth and efficiency is a very important genetic quality in our cattle -- the development of the immune system. No deficiency has caused more harm and loss to the industry than cattle whose immune systems will not respond to disease. Antibiotics can only go so far in the battle against disease as they attempt to interrupt the advancement of the disease, the bodies own defenses must take over. Death loss from disease cost the cattle industry well over a billion dollars a year and affects both the large and small operators. It can be found in the best herds and the least. The movement of reputation calves from remote areas of Arizona or New Mexico to feedlots in Nebraska can find a respiratory disease outbreak resulting in the loss of 25% of the cattle. No one is immune to the dangers of high death rates.  

The immune system is divided in two parts -- the innate immune system and the adaptive immune system. The innate is mainly the white blood cells responsible for mounting the initial attack on the pathogen. The adaptive are special warrior cells called antibodies called into action by the organs to fight a particular pathogen. The industry badly needs more genetic work in this important area and today's approach of spending fortunes on treatments of medicines that don't work is inadequate. Historic death rates of 2-3% of high risk sale barn calves has turned into routine death losses of 10%. This is not a problem to be solved by more high priced medicines. We need genetic help.
Back to top Go down
EddieM

PostSubject: Re: Three to go to new homes   Mon Nov 09, 2015 3:46 pm

Maybe we have outsmarted ourselves by learning how to keep the weak alive long enough to add their genes to the population.

Eddie, Looking on Craigslist for a tractor with a sail and rudder. Can you plow with a tugboat?
Back to top Go down
pukerimu

PostSubject: Re: Three to go to new homes   Mon Nov 09, 2015 7:40 pm

Just been blinded by science and breeding cattle that look excellent on paper but are useless in the flesh (dead or alive). A highly touted NZ bred bull with 3 of his four grandfathers being CA Future Direction dropped dead in his paddock as a 5 year old .................... related?

On another note - more sheep being mustered as I type, but the uni graduates and I put 596 tails in the bag for our mornings work - once upon a time 600 in a whole day was considered a mammoth task - with roller shoots and automation fly spray on exit the sky is the limit - we managed over 900 lambs last Monday but had a very fit shearing hardened fellow picking them up. Just this mob coming in, and a small paddock full left to do at the front of the farm and then we will be decamping to the back flats to get those two big paddocks done and all the gear can be put away for another year ..............................
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Three to go to new homes   Tue Nov 10, 2015 6:12 am

pukerimu wrote:
Just been blinded by science and breeding cattle that look excellent on paper but are useless in the flesh (dead or alive).  A highly touted NZ bred bull with 3 of his four grandfathers being CA Future Direction dropped dead in his paddock as a 5 year old .................... related?

On another note - more sheep being mustered as I type, but the uni graduates and I put 596 tails in the bag for our mornings work - once upon a time 600 in a whole day was considered a mammoth task - with roller shoots and automation fly spray on exit the sky is the limit - we managed over 900 lambs last Monday but had a very fit shearing hardened fellow picking them up.  Just this mob coming in, and a small paddock full left to do at the front of the farm and then we will be decamping to the back flats to get those two big paddocks done and all the gear can be put away for another year ..............................
Megan, you seem at best melancholy; at worse, almost remorseful about sheep work being over...or perhaps again, without facial expression or voice inflection, the written word has been misinterpreted? Shocked Laughing
Back to top Go down
pukerimu

PostSubject: Re: Three to go to new homes   Tue Nov 10, 2015 1:30 pm

Melancholy that docking might be nearly finished but then the rest will all start again - finish the docking, then we shear the old ewes, wean the lambs, draft fats, drench the rest, shear the main flock of ewes, shear the whiteface lambs, draft, drench, draft, drench blah blah blah all summer long - yeehah Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

Oh and then we put the rams out again in Autumn ...................... tigers for punishment?????????????????????

On the upside the cattle are doing great cheers
Back to top Go down
EddieM

PostSubject: Re: Three to go to new homes   Wed Nov 11, 2015 6:48 am

Rare occurrence here yesterday - we saw the sun. Last night another oddity - stars in the sky. Sheep here are managed by a lazy guy so all I can claim is that their hair is white and fluffy due to rain water and cooler season and not due to my management. All of that docking, shearing, drenching and doing sounds like too much fun for me! River is still up in the bottoms, ground is like a soggy sponge, got some fences checked and repaired by foot and rotated the cows. All I can say is that I have become spoiled by my newer waterproof boots. I should have spent the dollars years ago.

Eddie, with dry feet
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Three to go to new homes   

Back to top Go down

Three to go to new homes
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next