Keeney`s Corner

A current and reflective discussion of cattle breeding from outside the registered mainstream

HomeUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Four Year Anniversary

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Four Year Anniversary   Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:05 am

Darn; KC anniversary slipped right by me...getting enough years {16} of human internet interaction in now to back up Charles... Smile

“But we are not here concerned with hopes or fears, only with the truth as far as our reason allows us to discover it. I have given the evidence to the best of my ability; and we must acknowledge , as it seems to me, that man with all his noble qualities, with sympathy which feels for the most debased, with benevolence which extends not only to other men but to the humblest living creature, with his godlike intellect which has penetrated into the movements and constitution of the solar system - with all these exalted powers - Man still bears in his bodily frame the indelible stamp of his lowly origin.”
― Charles Darwin, The Descent of Man

“For my own part I would as soon be descended from that heroic little monkey, who braved his dreaded enemy in order to save the life of his keeper; or from that old baboon, who, descending from the mountains, carried away in triumph his young comrade from a crowd of astonished dogs—as from a savage who delights to torture his enemies, offers up bloody sacrifices, practices infanticide without remorse, treats his wives like slaves, knows no decency, and is haunted by the grossest superstitions.”
― Charles Darwin, The Descent of Man  

awww but Charles, the savage would have come from a monkey too... Smile

the studies continue beyond  the Galapagos  cheers

Back to top Go down
http://www.keeneyscorner.com
outsidethebox

PostSubject: Re: Four Year Anniversary   Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:14 am

Congratulations...it has been most interesting and thought-provoking.
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Four Year Anniversary   Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:59 pm

thx Warren,
The primary purpose of introducing Larry`s ideas and concepts, and presenting the opportunity for all to have interchange with him, has been achieved AND recorded for posterity...with Larry`s passing, the interchange phase has ended; discussion of the ideas will perhaps sustain KC for a while; maybe not...
but the study of human nature and reaction to stimuli is ongoing; interesting, and kinda fun Very Happy ...and will continue...
I have been getting a kick out the ramblings of the AAA brouhaha and the importance of the "independent little guy" to the strength of the AA association {according to the "little guys" Very Happy Very Happy }
the little guy only becomes free and independent when he understands and acts on the knowledge that he doesn`t need the AAA to be a cattle breeder...
Back to top Go down
outsidethebox

PostSubject: Re: Four Year Anniversary   Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:00 pm

MKeeney wrote:
thx Warren,
The primary purpose of introducing Larry`s ideas and concepts, and presenting the opportunity for all to have interchange with him, has been achieved AND recorded for posterity...with Larry`s passing,  the interchange phase has ended; discussion of the ideas will perhaps sustain KC for a while; maybe not...
but the study of human nature and reaction to stimuli is ongoing; interesting, and kinda fun Very Happy ...and will continue...
 I have been getting a kick out the ramblings of the AAA brouhaha and the importance of the "independent little guy" to the strength of the AA association {according to the "little guys" Very Happy Very Happy }
the little guy only becomes free and independent  when he understands and acts on the knowledge that he doesn`t need the AAA to be a cattle breeder...

Yes, Mike. I wish I were able to participate and contribute more to this effort of developing lines of sound cattle. The folks on this site are doers not talkers. I think most of us are just hunkered down-working things out with our cattle. This is very time consuming and there is little that can be done to speed up the process. I do hope to make it to a gathering soon-not that I would contribute much other than moral support.

I do visit another site regularly for comic relief...today is especially good. Foxx must define "narcissism". We all have to believe in ourselves and think we are contributing to the betterment of humankind but I do believe the next time she says something worthwhile will also be a first.

Maybe we should journal/diary more here to fill the waiting segments of our cattle experiences. I journal most days-recording our lives out here on the prairie. My last entry:

Tuesday October 21, 2014
We are in the middle of a long stretch of beautiful Fall weather. The highs are in the 70s to low 80s and it goes to the high 40 to low 50s at night. The pleasant temperatures allow us to work outside more. The grass we have planted here and in at Terah's is germinating and, hopefully, will significantly improve our lawns next year. I have been able to burn some of the old brush piles in the creek area and begin our Fall and Winter work of continuing to clear the unwelcome trees and brush from the larger creek area. The reclaimed areas from the previous work look very good. The sheep and cattle are enjoying the good grass and look slick and healthy. Because the two frosts we have had have been fairly light, the melons, tomatoes and peppers continue to (slowly) ripen in the garden...everything has been surprisingly tasty. The hens production has been steadily declining...today I will set up a light to increase their “daytime” hours. I will try to arrange a wood delivery to Don and Rachel Horst's this afternoon...they are getting two ricks. This morning Dwight and Trella are beginning their trek west-to our place for a months stay. Marla has left for work. The sheep are heading to the back forty to find some good grass. A sliver of moon is shining in the east as dawn is breaking. The heavy dew is dripping from the downspouts-into the waiting rain barrels.

Dwight and Trella are my in-laws. They live in Bluffton, Ohio. Dwight just retired from 40 years as a family practice doc. They love to work. They came in last night to hang out with us for  a month. They brought their chain saw and have been out cutting since sunrise. My wife is on the road to Kansas City to attend a medical continuing ed course-tomorrow. The additional light did increase our hens laying proficiency. Our daughter, Terah, sent an email note today stating: "Oliver told me he does not like kindergarten because now he does not get to be with Grandpa enough." Ahhh!!! That may be true but this is one terrific kid. He is a worker and a doer and sharp as a tack and loves to learn-and he really loves kindergarten too.
Back to top Go down
pukerimu

PostSubject: Re: Four Year Anniversary   Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:38 pm

Just lovely - thank you for sharing.

Mike congratulations on KC's anniversary - you are doing a great job of balancing the cattle breeding discussion (Larry too obviously) and personally I am fascinated to learn how other people do things or their perspective - especially since farming systems and aspirations are so different. The common theme is a passion for (good) cattle.
Back to top Go down
http://www.mtmableangus.co.nz
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Four Year Anniversary   Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:15 pm

The life of a discussion site is the mix of contributors; so thanks to those still here from the beginning; and to those who have come and gone; the variety of thought and personality are the core of the longevity of most anything...like tv talk shows, controversy brings the most readership; and probably accomplishes the least...laughed today remembering when Larry promised me cows to get rid of the rattlesnake "don`t thread on me" flag as my icon at 5barx and replace it with the wise owl...I tried; but it was far more difficult than being Susan at Advantage; and eventually, I had to forego the cows... Sad
now all the things I argued with that crowd about don`t matter much; and yes Warren, we`re all just kind bidding our time as we breed cattle...
It`s funny how we see things differently over time; I once would have a seen a hot gal in a bikini in that pic; now I just see a kinship of mammals Smile

maybe this Darwinism is the lifeblood of KC... Smile

False facts are highly injurious to the progress of science, for they often endure long; but false views, if supported by some evidence, do little harm, for every one takes a salutary pleasure in proving their falseness.

Charles Darwin
Back to top Go down
Mark Day

PostSubject: Re: Four Year Anniversary   Wed Oct 29, 2014 12:31 am

I have not been as involved with the daily postings here at the corner as the old 5barx or even the Advantage site but certainly does not mean that the info has been any less useful or valuable. I have to say Susan was quite entertaining and it was fun listening to people trying to figure out who she was. I don't even remember what my alias was there for awhile. Just shows how insignificant I am. Oh well. Thanks for everyone's effort to compile some of the best info and experiences so that we can go do best practice cattle breeding instead of the heavily university and association influenced common practice cattle breeding. Common practice is not necessarily best practice. In many industries it is the researchers job to prove how/why things work in the real world. Researchers are not necessarily going to go out prove Larry's work and others because the info will not pad the pockets of the Associations, AI companies. The registry world is not the commercial cattlemans real world. Growth and other traits measured by the breed associations are very important to the commercial person but they are misdirected in their efforts, interpretations and needs. A good cow should be like a good sport referee-just blends into the scenery and is not noticed for anything bad or good. That is as hard to market as a seemingly too small heifer without papers. Oh well. Continue on everyone and thank you Mike for all of your sharing and hospitality.
Back to top Go down
Hilly

PostSubject: Re: Four Year Anniversary   Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:28 pm

Time flys when your having fun Smile

Thanks Mike for all you do behind the scenes to keep thoughts moving.

Been a crazy year here, the early snow that laid the crops flat made for a very long harvest we finished up a few weeks ago and then onto selling a few pots of spring calves.

Spent a few days moving in straw bales, we have a second semi trailer now so we really moved a lot in a hurry.

Spent today with my family processing a few hundred summer calves, my boys were troopers as it was a long day and managed to put a smile on their dads face more than a few times.

Next week we are hauling in a set of cows I'm taking on under a lease for the first time so should be interesting.

Western Precast has been doing very well on the sales side, but finding and keeping enough good workers is by far our biggest challenge.

Thanks again Mike and to everyone that has contributed to KC over the years.
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Four Year Anniversary   Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:23 am

thanks to everyone that participates here in some fashion on Thanksgiving Day ...every concept and idea can be aired by any person, and every concept and idea should be challenged...
we, the people, are the sustainers of freedom....
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Four Year Anniversary   Sat Nov 29, 2014 7:33 am

lordy, lordy, I can`t believe who is going to be forty Smile maybe on his adventures with Tom and Craig, they have found the fountain of youth cheers
Back to top Go down
MVCatt

PostSubject: Re: Four Year Anniversary   Sat Nov 29, 2014 8:11 pm

Oh ya Mike we found it alright...the problem is...I came away feeling older not younger. My son Nick turns 14 the day after my birthday. Jess says we act the same age....so I guess I got that going for me cheers .
Back to top Go down
Tom D
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Four Year Anniversary   Wed Feb 11, 2015 6:37 pm

Users having a birthday today: MKeeney - 69!!!

I wonder if he's celebrating by stumpknockin' withalilcoochee?

Happy Birthday to one of the youngest guys in the retirement community.
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Four Year Anniversary   Thu Feb 12, 2015 8:18 am

another year has passed and no closer to the goal of a round of golf score equal to my age...I need to verify this with the efficiency expert df, but if on average, my score goes up 2, every time my age goes up one, is it ever possible the two will equate?
Back to top Go down
EddieM

PostSubject: Re: Four Year Anniversary   Thu Feb 12, 2015 8:54 am

MKeeney wrote:
another year has passed and no closer to the goal of a round of golf score equal to my age...I need to verify this with the efficiency expert df, but if on average, my score goes up 2, every time my age goes up one, is it ever possible the two will equate?
Depends on your EPDs. Happy Birthday late.
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Four Year Anniversary   Thu Feb 12, 2015 9:04 am

EddieM wrote:
MKeeney wrote:
Depends on your EPDs.  Happy Birthday late.

good point Eddie, we could adjust the base; the registered way to keep the numbers all positive... Smile
Back to top Go down
pukerimu

PostSubject: Re: Four Year Anniversary   Sun Feb 15, 2015 3:02 am

Just adjust that base ..................... classic lol! and far to frequently
Back to top Go down
http://www.mtmableangus.co.nz
Kent Powell

PostSubject: Re: Four Year Anniversary   Sun Feb 15, 2015 5:27 am

Back to top Go down
http://powellangus.com
Sponsored content