Keeney`s Corner

A current and reflective discussion of cattle breeding from outside the registered mainstream

HomeUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Rymin Cereal Rye

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
RobertMac

PostSubject: Rymin Cereal Rye   Thu Aug 21, 2014 5:32 pm

Anybody have any experience with this rye?
Back to top Go down
EddieM

PostSubject: Re: Rymin Cereal Rye   Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:43 pm

RobertMac wrote:
Abbruzi has been the standard around here for a long time. We tried Elbon once a few years ago but had to use it totally last year due to supply. The winter was not good to cool season annuals but the odd thing about the Elbon is that it seems to have more allopathic effects on permanent forages. That's the only two I have experienced. I will got with triticale this fall most likely in place of rye.
Back to top Go down
RobertMac

PostSubject: Re: Rymin Cereal Rye   Fri Aug 22, 2014 2:35 pm

EddieM wrote:
RobertMac wrote:
Abbruzi has been the standard around here for a long time.  We tried Elbon once a few years ago but had to use it totally last year due to supply.  The winter was not good to cool season annuals but the odd thing about the Elbon is that it seems to have more allopathic effects on permanent forages.  That's the only two I have experienced.  I will got with triticale this fall most likely in place of rye.

That is interesting about the Elbon. I've been using it for years and my summer forage in those pastures has progressively declined...that's why I was interested in your summer annual test. I guess I'll try the Rymin with my ryegrass because that is all that is available.

I tried triticale a couple of years ago and it didn't do very well.
Back to top Go down
EddieM

PostSubject: Re: Rymin Cereal Rye   Mon Sep 29, 2014 2:21 pm

RobertMac wrote:
EddieM wrote:
RobertMac wrote:
Abbruzi has been the standard around here for a long time.  We tried Elbon once a few years ago but had to use it totally last year due to supply.  The winter was not good to cool season annuals but the odd thing about the Elbon is that it seems to have more allopathic effects on permanent forages.  That's the only two I have experienced.  I will got with triticale this fall most likely in place of rye.

That is interesting about the Elbon. I've been using it for years and my summer forage in those pastures has progressively declined...that's why I was interested in your summer annual test. I guess I'll try the Rymin with my ryegrass because that is all that is available.

I tried triticale a couple of years ago and it didn't do very well.

We got 342 Trical. Armyworms are still everywhere so I will wait a bit longer to drill it in. Also Marshall Ryegrass was not available. I'm not sure why but went with Big Boss as a substitute. I'll probably never know the difference.
Back to top Go down
RobertMac

PostSubject: Re: Rymin Cereal Rye   Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:19 am

We didn't have Marshall last year, so I used all Big Boss. When the 'global warming polar vortex' hit, everything stopped growing for a few weeks. Wish I had some Marshall planted then to compare the two because of Marshall's good rep for cold tolerance. Although Marshall is more expensive, I planted a field so I can get a comparison this year. It's not necessarily more expensive if it works better.

I'm all planted waiting on a rain.

Maybe you should plant some rye also to see the difference between the Trical.
Back to top Go down
EddieM

PostSubject: Re: Rymin Cereal Rye   Thu Oct 02, 2014 4:21 am

RobertMac wrote:
We didn't have Marshall last year, so I used all Big Boss. When the 'global warming polar vortex' hit, everything stopped growing for a few weeks. Wish I had some Marshall planted then to compare the two because of Marshall's good rep for cold tolerance. Although Marshall is more expensive, I planted a field so I can get a comparison this year. It's not necessarily more expensive if it works better.

I'm all planted waiting on a rain.

Maybe you should plant some rye also to see the difference between the Trical.

Last winter messed with all ryegrasses. Odd that Marshall does so well here but UGA does not recommend planting it more than 100 miles inland from the Atlantic. I will go with what I have as I have already shook the piggy bank by its feet. We used to plant some triticale for hay in mixes years ago and it did well.
Back to top Go down
Kent Powell

PostSubject: Re: Rymin Cereal Rye   Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:50 am

There is disincentive to recommend Ryegrass in Universities.

http://pss.okstate.edu/publications/publications-master-list/copy_of_publications/wheatsmallgrain/pt-00-23.pdf

I tried to buy some and a local seed dealer said if it worked everyone would be doing it. Felt a little like a monkey who had never tried to climb the pole was warning me. I couldn't figure out how it could be such a big problem and not work at the same time.
Back to top Go down
http://powellangus.com
Kent Powell

PostSubject: Re: Rymin Cereal Rye   Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:53 am

Back to top Go down
http://powellangus.com
pukerimu

PostSubject: Re: Rymin Cereal Rye   Thu Oct 02, 2014 3:16 pm

Italian ryegrass is a very desirable species in NZ - of course as far as I know we do not have the conflict of wheat growers - we find that both sheep and beef fatten quickly on it - it is fast growing and vigorous but only lasts for two seasons so is used a lot in pasture development / renewal alternating with forage cropping. Perhaps the wheat growers should just grow grass and fatten some cattle ...................... Wink sorry, it's a Kiwi thing - can't help myself
Back to top Go down
http://www.mtmableangus.co.nz
RobertMac

PostSubject: Re: Rymin Cereal Rye   Thu Oct 02, 2014 6:46 pm

Weed is a plant out of place.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Rymin Cereal Rye   

Back to top Go down

Rymin Cereal Rye
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1