Keeney`s Corner

A current and reflective discussion of cattle breeding from outside the registered mainstream

HomeUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Fat Boy ????

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
AuthorMessage
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Fat Boy ????   Wed May 28, 2014 9:21 pm

http://mtmableangus.co.nz/2014-bullcatalogue.html

Megan,
it is quite refreshing to see the name "fat boy" used in such positive fashion  Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://www.keeneyscorner.com
EddieM

PostSubject: Re: Fat Boy ????   Thu May 29, 2014 6:48 am

Good looking animals. What caught my eye as different from around here? The skin seems somewhat looser. Not good or bad, just seemed to be to me in the moment that the photos were taken. Or I could have been half asleep! Sound and useful look to the animals all the way around. Nothing close or remotely related to the ugly 4.
Back to top Go down
pukerimu

PostSubject: Re: Fat Boy ????   Sat May 31, 2014 11:06 pm

Amazing how many people comment on that name - he is in fact a Fat Boy and his son's scan true to it. The story of his being is this - he mother had a full brother previously who we paddocked with a bull we hoped to send to our National sale many moons ago - that did not eventuate and having the two bulls by themselves did no one any favours including us. That son did eventually get sold in the paddock to a loyal bull buyer and gave many years of service - he was christened "Fat Boy" by us as a nick name as he just got fatter and fatter. When the cow had a full brother in 2006 and the sale in 2008 was not looking like he might achieve his true value we retained him as he had a nice low birth weight, registered him as Fat Boy and the rest is history. Turned out to be a very fortuitous turn of events as he is now r8 (July birthday) and we have hand picked his cows to run with him again this year. His son's are hugely popular and all the one's we have sold to date have gone out to do the business.

Back to top Go down
http://www.mtmableangus.co.nz
pukerimu

PostSubject: Re: Fat Boy ????   Sat May 31, 2014 11:47 pm

EddieM wrote:
Good looking animals.  What caught my eye as different from around here? The skin seems somewhat looser.  Not good or bad, just seemed to be to me in the moment that the photos were taken.  Or I could have been half asleep!  Sound and useful look to the animals all the way around.  Nothing close or remotely related to the ugly 4.

The auctioneer will probably refer to them as "soft skinned" - which usually indicates easy keeping and an ability to fatten easily. We hope that our visitors on sale day will like what they see - final fall of the final hammer always tells the story - cranking up now - so much to do and so little time ...................................
Back to top Go down
pukerimu

PostSubject: Re: Fat Boy ????   Mon Jun 09, 2014 6:21 pm

Woohoo - we are officially in the "after the bull sale" phase of the year - our 12 calendar months are broken roughly into "before" and "after".

We managed to get 50 out of the 54 catalogued into the sale ring and sold all but three under the hammer for an average of NZD$7,112. Top price was $15,000 to a long standing client, a large station in the central North Island, who will use him to breed their own bulls too. They also bought 3 others which is usual for them on an annual basis. To say we are happy would be putting it mildly. The Fatboy son's sold like hot cakes - happy to have him in the paddock still to breed some more. Thanks for your interest.
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Fat Boy ????   Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:27 pm

pukerimu wrote:
Woohoo - we are officially in the "after the bull sale" phase of the year - our 12 calendar months are broken roughly into "before" and "after".

We managed to get 50 out of the 54 catalogued into the sale ring and sold all but three under the hammer for an average of NZD$7,112.  Top price was $15,000 to a long standing client, a large station in the central North Island, who will use him to breed their own bulls too.  They also bought 3 others which is usual for them on an annual basis.  To say we are happy would be putting it mildly.  The Fatboy son's sold like hot cakes - happy to have him in the paddock still to breed some more.  Thanks for your interest.

Holy dollar bills Megan, are you guys the SAV  of the traditional registered mainstream in NZ?   Smile   commercial buyers or registered? Will you have to pay taxes on this money in NZ?  Rolling Eyes 
I`ve gotten too old to even  remember; so I guess it`s only natural that I`m too old to comprehend those kind of prices or value...I can`t even comprehend the current commercial prices for cattle in the US...  what`s a 1300 slaughter steer worth in NZ right now?
why are the progeny of "fat boy" more desirable? please don`t tell me it`s his higher growth epds...
Back to top Go down
pukerimu

PostSubject: Re: Fat Boy ????   Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:53 pm

We are who we are Mike - have not followed any trend or fashion or other people's ideas on how to breed cattle - just paid a lot of attention to the ones we were breeding and kept very good records of what they have been doing for us. Mating decisions are made on that basis and seemingly it is working for us. As one new person who came to the sale remarked to me "very few stud cows would be farmed under these conditions in the North Island" - meaning that they are farmed like real cows to produce the bulls to go and be farmed just like they are - we are good feeders ie always have as much grass as we can but then it is in our interests to have the bulls showing their potential to the buyers on sale day - they are wintered in one mob and then split in two mobs in the spring - 30 in one and 50 and then whittled down until we have the bulls we want to present on sale day - the sale is early in their second winter - they are rising 2. Individual performance is easy to decipher for most.

All commercial farmers bought bulls this year - several big stations - several volume buyers (up to 5 bulls in one case). Totally taxable - sadly - although the taxation is worked out on the overall income of the farm which will indeed look more impressive this year than previous years  Wink 

Fatboy is below average for just about everything where he is meant to be higher but he has a low birth weight (and is an incredibly easy birthing bull - have never had a problem from him or any of his daughters) he exudes meat though and the buyers have obviously been watching his progeny come through the ring and have decided that his EBV's for 600 days +63 (2014 breed average +94), milk +7 (breed av +13) and carcass weight +25 (breed av +51) are not reflective of him at all - also his positives for all carcass traits (Eye, rib and rump and IMF) belie the enormous negatives for all traits on his sires and grandsires part - imagine how well he and his progeny scan against the average to get +'ves when he has the cumulatively HUGE -'ves of his family tree in the equation. Of course I do not for a minute pay any attention to the figures of his predecessors - none of whom were scanned, very few if any of their relatives have been scanned but based on prehistoric information are given carcass EBV's - ridiculous much? Actually now you mention it I pay scant attention to any of the EBV's in many instances especially where there is not much recording and even less linkages. Many who chased Fatboy's this year had already bought at least one last year.

To put the money into perspective we sold some weaner heifers as fattening cattle at mate's rates for $540 each - we watched the weaner fair in town and they prices were ranging from $550 - $700, and good 18 mth heifers are killing at between $1100-$1300 each. You would need 12 - 15 good fat heifers or steers to pay for the top price bull
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Fat Boy ????   Tue Jun 10, 2014 3:43 am

For Sale: Exceptional Registered Angus Bull. Deer Valley New Day 12117, Reg.# 16964628. TAEP qualified and Vet checked sound. Excellent spread in this Big 3 year old son of New Day 454. Won't find a set of EPD's like this for the money anywhere else. Perfect for heifers and cows alike. One bull does it all.
Top 2% in the breed for calving ease direct
Top 2% in the breed for $G&$W
Top 4% in the breed for $Beef
Top 4% in the breed for Docility
Top 2% in the breed for milk
Top 4% in the breed for Marbling
New Day had done an excellent job in our program with an excellent set of calves. We are keeping his heifers. Just time to rotate him. $3,500

this is kind required by law in the state of Tennessee...mk
Back to top Go down
tc

PostSubject: Re: Fat Boy ????   Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:23 am

This is why I go to Ky to buy my bulls Mike.

MKeeney wrote:

For Sale: Exceptional Registered Angus Bull. Deer Valley New Day 12117, Reg.# 16964628. TAEP qualified and Vet checked sound. Excellent spread in this Big 3 year old son of New Day 454. Won't find a set of EPD's like this for the money anywhere else. Perfect for heifers and cows alike. One bull does it all.
New Day had done an excellent job in our program with an excellent set of calves. We are keeping his heifers. Just time to rotate him. $3,500

Back to top Go down
EddieM

PostSubject: Re: Fat Boy ????   Tue Jun 10, 2014 2:19 pm

MKeeney wrote:

Mike, are you having semen collected before he arrives in Nancy just for "insurance"? You'd hate to lose the genetics from a top bull like that. jocolor 
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Fat Boy ????   Tue Jun 10, 2014 7:07 pm

EddieM wrote:
MKeeney wrote:

Mike, are you having semen collected before he arrives in Nancy just for "insurance"?  You'd hate to lose the genetics from a top bull like that. jocolor 

when you look at his credentials, isn`t he exactly what you would expect in type? In fact, I think his type verifies his epds; and that he would likely breed true to his profile when the progeny are high energy fed...this bull is a near perfect reflection of what he was bred to do... be a Wagyu  Smile 
Back to top Go down
pukerimu

PostSubject: Re: Fat Boy ????   Tue Jun 10, 2014 7:17 pm

He sure is not our type of Angus bull  Evil or Very Mad affraid affraid
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Fat Boy ????   Tue Jun 10, 2014 7:25 pm

pukerimu wrote:
He sure is not our type of Angus bull  Evil or Very Mad affraid affraid

maybe "Angus" is superfluous in that sentence...

He sure is not our type of bull  Very Happy 
Back to top Go down
pukerimu

PostSubject: Re: Fat Boy ????   Tue Jun 10, 2014 7:54 pm

Touché - exactly what type of bull category does he fill do you think? It would be interesting to see him with a decent feed under his belt but would grass alone be enough do you think? I cannot be bothered going into AAA to find New Day - pedigree details anyone generous enough to enlighten? Guessing 036 or New Trend via New Era perhaps with a name like New Day?
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Fat Boy ????   Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:09 pm

he`s no accident...tru-line, corn fed terminal if ever I saw one...corn fed terminal is a totally different type than grass fed terminal..

................A A R New Trend AAA #9958634  
....... Boyd New Day 8005 AAA #+13050780    
.............  S V F Forever Lady 57D AAA 12133159  
B/R New Day 454 AAA 14675445    
............  B/R New Design 323 AAA #11928774  
....... B/R Ruby 1224 AAA 13879911    
.............  H F Ruby 036-951 AAA +13324497  

.............  S S Traveler 6807 T510 AAA #12502030  
.... S S Objective T510 0T26 AAA #13776378    
............  S S Miss Rita R011 7R8 AAA 12958951  
G A R Objective 2345 AAA 15129485    
...........  Bon View New Design 1407 AAA #12783540  
.... G A R 1407 New Design 2413 AAA +14506226    
........... G A R Precision 810 AAA +13724092  

this bulls a bargain @$3500; cost you twice as much at GAR...I did notice he is a carrier of something... "ddc"...but that`s of no consequence
  because he is

TERMINAL
Back to top Go down
pukerimu

PostSubject: Re: Fat Boy ????   Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:12 pm

cheers lol! cheers lol! 

Now that is a pedigree that some would just love - personally it hurts my eyes to look at it - thank you for putting it up
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Fat Boy ????   Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:56 pm

pukerimu wrote:
cheers lol! cheers lol! 

Now that is a pedigree that some would just love - personally it hurts my eyes to look at it - thank you for putting it up

I seriously would buy the above in a heartbeat...except I already have access to a Wagyu...{progeny pics tomorrow maybe}

so this is a 3 year old bull who had just come away from settling 31 cows on grass on the hills;  Mt Mable Big As 779

so, does Big As mean prepotent for his type  Question :?:as opposed to aa aa?

is this bull a terminal grass fed type or an example of an all purpose {at average, not extreme levels} type you prefer?
Back to top Go down
EddieM

PostSubject: Re: Fat Boy ????   Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:07 pm

I never thought about it before but do Wagyu crosses, if black, qualify for CAB?
Back to top Go down
pukerimu

PostSubject: Re: Fat Boy ????   Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:19 pm

Big As is a type - there are things we really like about him ie moderation, easy fleshing, beautifully shaped and even feet, kind and quiet nature. He was retained as we had used his sire and his grand sire before selling both (Grand sire as a stud) and he has a nice maternal line. We would definitely not see him as terminal as really it is his females that we are interested in seeing (first crop of calves due in August). Likewise there are things that we do not think are so crash hot about him - he might be a little too moderate to get the bulls up to the weights that some of our buyers like (only time will tell that), he may be just a little more lighter in the bone than we really like and his scrotal could be bigger - we like the good about him enough to settle on the not so - like all the bulls we use - our own and other's if he does not work over our cows (which are always hand picked to go with certain sires) then he is considered surplus to requirements - so far we have avoided falling into the trap of "we picked him so he must be good enough" - a very critical eye is used on all animals born and if they are not up to scratch as they grow then we start looking at the dam and sire very closely.

The name plays on his very fat rump, .......... his Grand sire is named Big A (logo for branded Angus meat in NZ is a big red A), his sire was named Big Al (carrying on the theme). Also grammatically challenged youth are known to add an "as" to the end of their statements to emphasise the message ie "that was cool as" ......................... we like to have our little jokes. Small things being amusing and all that  Wink 
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Fat Boy ????   Wed Jun 11, 2014 5:09 am

EddieM wrote:
I never thought about it before but do Wagyu crosses, if black, qualify for CAB?  

I would think so; since they meet the most important criteria for determining a breed...color...
does a prime steer from a registered Angus taste different than a prime from a Wagyu cross?
Back to top Go down
RobertMac

PostSubject: Re: Fat Boy ????   Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:51 am

EddieM wrote:

As far as color goes, the animal only has to be 51% black to qualify for CAB.

I don't know who determines that, but I'm guessing it happens after the carcass is graded.
Back to top Go down
jonken

PostSubject: Re: Fat Boy ????   Wed Jun 11, 2014 4:21 pm

RobertMac wrote:
EddieM wrote:

As far as color goes, the animal only has to be 51% black to qualify for CAB.

I don't know who determines that, but I'm guessing it happens after the carcass is graded.

For CAB, does the black percentage requirement apply to an individual animal  or does it also apply to a percentage of a lot?    Can an entirely white calf in a lot of 51% black calves (or whatever % CAB defines black) still be classified as CAB?      ~ Kendra
Back to top Go down
Bob H

PostSubject: Re: Fat Boy ????   Wed Jun 11, 2014 4:27 pm

Any animal that is 51% black hided with no brahma or dairy influence visible qualifies, it is decided on each individual. Advertising is a great tool just like three glasses of milk a day. Bob H
Back to top Go down
Grassfarmer

PostSubject: Re: Fat Boy ????   Wed Jun 11, 2014 10:57 pm

So 51% black hided = good, but purebred Red Angus = bad in a program that is supposed to be about "Angus beef"  scratch Logic anyone?
Back to top Go down
http://www.luingcattle.com
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Fat Boy ????   Thu Jun 12, 2014 3:11 am

Grassfarmer wrote:
So 51% black hided = good, but purebred Red Angus = bad in a program that is supposed to be about "Angus beef"  scratch Logic anyone?

reading my email inbox, I have come to believe every holiday/special day is an excuse to offer 10% off and sell something...Memorial Day, Father`s Day, Veterans Day, Christmas, etc...where`s the honor or logic in that...or CAB?

from Daley again on crossbreeding resistance...
Cool Historically, there has been active resistance to crossbreeding from some traditional marketing outlets, some purebred producers and (in some cases) breed associations.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Fat Boy ????   

Back to top Go down

Fat Boy ????
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 10Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Keeney`s Corner :: Advertise :: For Sale-
Jump to: