Keeney`s Corner

A current and reflective discussion of cattle breeding from outside the registered mainstream

HomeUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Durana Clover

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Bahia Man

PostSubject: Durana Clover   Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:33 pm

Has anyone here have any any experience with Durana clover? Over the last several years on my place, i have planted it and had decent success with it. Durana clover will grow where KY 31 won't grow, and it can choke out bahiagrass and common bermuda during a wet summer like last year. The only drawback that i have seen is when it goes summer dormant during an average South Carolina summer ,it leaves bare spots in my pastures.
Back to top Go down
EddieM

PostSubject: Re: Durana Clover   Mon Apr 28, 2014 6:02 am

Same thing here but I do love the persistence.
Back to top Go down
Bahia Man

PostSubject: Re: Durana Clover   Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:59 pm

Durana will act as a reseeding annual on sandy land and will dominate on moist loams and clays.
Back to top Go down
EddieM

PostSubject: Re: Durana Clover   Thu May 08, 2014 9:57 pm

Nothing to do with clover but we moved the bulls onto some switchgrass a couple of weeks ago after a fairly hard winter of marginal fescue. They do not look like the same animals now. I ought to weigh them to see how much they are gaining per day but I am too lazy to do it. It is the first year in a while that the switchgrass has been properly managed but it is a real tonic.
Back to top Go down
Bahia Man

PostSubject: Re: Durana Clover   Thu Feb 05, 2015 9:58 pm

How did you get the switchgrass to grow? Did you plant it conventionally or did you mix the seed with mineral?
Back to top Go down
EddieM

PostSubject: Re: Durana Clover   Fri Feb 06, 2015 7:51 am

Bahia Man wrote:
How did you get the switchgrass to grow? Did you plant it conventionally or did you mix the seed with mineral?

It has been there for a good while. At the time it was planted we sprayed and plowed, leveled and then drilled Alamo. We had a lot of weeds and I think we used some herbicide but the weeds were still bad. Mowing helped with taller weeds but seems like crabgrass was the worst to deal with.

We also tried a stand of mixed BBS, LBS and IG and they did not fare well with the weeds and were lost. EGG can be drilled or planted and corn herbicide does not both it. I also broadcast some of the shorter switchgrass variety, Blackwell, on some logging decks and that did very well. We even tried some old world bluestem and it does not add anything useful here.

If I were to do it again, I would have the land ready in another grass or good cover crop, spray it and no-till. The switchgrass is slow to develop a stand (2 years +). We had tried it for custom hay for years and if the guy got here in time it was good and if he was late it was pulpwood. This was the first spring that we had gone back and mowed it to manage it and the bulls gained well on it. But it will not keep them gaining a lot past mid summer.

I drilled arrowleaf, ball and crimson clovers in it last fall. That should give it a boost this year. We are getting ready to mow if off.
Back to top Go down
RobertMac

PostSubject: Re: Durana Clover   Fri Feb 06, 2015 9:25 pm

Wish I had crabgrass taking over my pastures...I'd let it!
Back to top Go down
EddieM

PostSubject: Re: Durana Clover   Sat Feb 07, 2015 7:31 am

RobertMac wrote:
Wish I had crabgrass taking over my pastures...I'd let it!
Not a free lunch. It is a big user of N and needs occasional doses to keep quality. Yield data is varied. If you buy the seed they are pricy. Needs annual disturbance to get maximum reseeding. Everything with a cost.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Durana Clover   

Back to top Go down

Durana Clover
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Keeney`s Corner :: Pasture and Range management :: Winter grazing practices-
Jump to: