Keeney`s Corner

A current and reflective discussion of cattle breeding from outside the registered mainstream

HomeUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

2014 Great Plains Gathering

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
larkota

PostSubject: Re: 2014 Great Plains Gathering   Sun Jun 08, 2014 10:34 am

great bluegrass year here. last fall sprayed all pastures at Kimball, knocked out the Canadian and musk plus the clovers. time will tell if it was a smart thing to do. last March when the vet worked the cows his only comments were "boy they are thin, man Briann your cows are thin, oh that's right you like to breed in the heat." I would rather breed in the heat then calf in the cold.

today the cows are knee deep in grass, fat and sassy, hard to see the calves when they are laying down. some would say I need more cattle but I plan for the worst and hope for the best. I like to bare a piece off then move on and not come back for 13 months. With the grass now growing so fast, hard to get ahead of it, might be a good year for winter grazing versus haying.
if attending the great plains gathering you will want to get your hotel reservations. if you need help let me know.

Rod how is it looking your way? please book me a room your way for Aug. 3rd and 4th.
Back to top Go down
pukerimu

PostSubject: Re: 2014 Great Plains Gathering   Sun Jun 08, 2014 3:16 pm

Great pictures!!!

Not a huntaway but perhaps a Smithfield derivative. Is that a bob tail I see - I have always thought those types were referred to as an Australian Cattle dog in the States?
Back to top Go down
http://www.mtmableangus.co.nz
rross

PostSubject: Re: 2014 Great Plains Gathering   Sun Jun 08, 2014 4:39 pm

Maybe an Aust-Dale?? Shocked 
Back to top Go down
LCP

PostSubject: Re: 2014 Great Plains Gathering   Sun Jun 08, 2014 11:35 pm

larkota wrote:
great bluegrass year here.  last fall sprayed all pastures at Kimball, knocked out the Canadian and musk plus the clovers.  time will tell if it was a smart thing to do.  last March when the vet worked the cows his only comments were "boy they are thin, man Briann your cows are thin, oh that's right you like to breed in the heat."  I would rather breed in the heat then calf in the cold.

today the cows are knee deep in grass, fat and sassy, hard to see the calves when they are laying down.  some would say I need more cattle but I plan for the worst and hope for the best.  I like to bare a piece off then move on and not come back for 13 months.  With the grass now growing so fast, hard to get ahead of it, might be a good year for winter grazing versus haying.
if attending the great plains gathering you will want to get your hotel reservations. if you need help let me know.

Rod how is it looking your way?  please book me a room your way for Aug. 3rd and 4th.

Lots of clover up here, probably due to the 8" of rain last october. Did you get any of that? Its going to be a sea of yellow from here west in about 3 weeks. Wish I had about 10 million honeybees.
Back to top Go down
Grassfarmer

PostSubject: Re: 2014 Great Plains Gathering   Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:39 pm

larkota wrote:
great bluegrass year here.  last fall sprayed all pastures at Kimball, knocked out the Canadian and musk plus the clovers.  time will tell if it was a smart thing to do.

Which Canadian? was there one hiding in your pasture scratch
Back to top Go down
http://www.luingcattle.com
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: 2014 Great Plains Gathering   Wed Jun 11, 2014 4:39 pm

I have 10 rooms/20 beds booked about 25 miles from Kimball for Friday/Saturday nights; two locations; two prices as well  Crying or Very sad Smile booked some rooms in Kimball for Friday only....best call me to confirm if you need a room; I`ll try to help etc...606-305-4501

Briann can fire up his travel trailer in a back field  for those who snore... Smile

CHECKING on Leroy's NOW....
Back to top Go down
http://www.keeneyscorner.com
larkota

PostSubject: Re: 2014 Great Plains Gathering   Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:16 pm

Grassfarmer wrote:
larkota wrote:
great bluegrass year here.  last fall sprayed all pastures at Kimball, knocked out the Canadian and musk plus the clovers.  time will tell if it was a smart thing to do.

grassy bought a semi load of Canadian posts about 10 years ago....when is a bargain not a bargain? when half of them are already rotten and the other half are not far behind. what ever happened to the old cedar post?
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: 2014 Great Plains Gathering   Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:56 pm

MKeeney wrote:
I have 10 rooms/20 beds booked about 25 miles from Kimball for Friday/Saturday nights; two locations; two prices as well  Crying or Very sad Smile booked some rooms in Kimball for Friday only....best call me to confirm if you need a room; I`ll try to help etc...606-305-4501

Briann can fire up his travel trailer in a back field  for those who snore... Smile

CHECKING on Leroy's NOW....

Those who remember the Drumheller Experience may want to handle booking their own rooms, rather than depend on me... but, who really should complain about no shower and sleeping on the floor with free popcorn in the lobby  Very Happy Very Happy Cool 
Back to top Go down
rross

PostSubject: Re: 2014 Great Plains Gathering   Thu Jun 12, 2014 12:09 am

larkota wrote:
Grassfarmer wrote:
larkota wrote:

grassy bought a semi load of Canadian posts about 10 years ago....when is a bargain not a bargain?  when half of them are already rotten and the other half are not far behind.  what ever happened to the old cedar post?

That outfit must have sold posts all over the place, they came through here once a summer for several years. With the same end result, less if they were set where it was wet or damp.

Bring your Power Saw and Draw Knife when you come, you're welcome to cut some NEW Cedar post.

Maybe J. Teimann could bring you a load of Hedge posts, when he shows up.

Back to top Go down
jonken

PostSubject: Re: 2014 Great Plains Gathering   Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:43 pm

That outfit must have sold posts all over the place, they came through here once a summer for several years. With the same end result, less if they were set where it was wet or damp.

Bring your Power Saw and Draw Knife when you come, you're welcome to cut some NEW Cedar post.

[/quote]

Gladly Rod ,  Only I have seen your trails and I would be unsettled if our load of unstraight hedge post happened to bump a non-conforming trail follower over the side . Jon
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: 2014 Great Plains Gathering   Wed Jun 18, 2014 11:28 pm

Rod has rolled out the red carpet for those traveling on to his place...upon seeing this pic taken today after the rain last night, for a second there, I thought I had died and gone to NZ  Smile 

Back to top Go down
larkota

PostSubject: Re: 2014 Great Plains Gathering   Sun Jun 22, 2014 8:59 am

rross wrote:
larkota wrote:
Grassfarmer wrote:
larkota wrote:

grassy bought a semi load of Canadian posts about 10 years ago....when is a bargain not a bargain?  when half of them are already rotten and the other half are not far behind.  what ever happened to the old cedar post?

thinking of heading to MO. with a flatbed.

http://sd.craigslist.org/grd/4532680469.html
Back to top Go down
rross

PostSubject: Re: 2014 Great Plains Gathering   Sun Jun 22, 2014 3:37 pm

They look like real good posts. Any idea what they cost?

But you are still going to need a Drawknife and preferably some cool weather.
Back to top Go down
larkota

PostSubject: Re: 2014 Great Plains Gathering   Sun Jun 22, 2014 9:45 pm

rross wrote:
They look like real good posts. Any idea what they cost?

But you are still going to need a Drawknife and preferably some cool weather.

http://www.cedarlogs.net/

called them, said $7.25 delivered to South Dakota. semi loads only  Sad  1000 to 1050 posts per load. that would be 3 miles worth, to much work for this old man.

Rod what happens if you set them with the bark on?
Back to top Go down
rross

PostSubject: Re: 2014 Great Plains Gathering   Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:35 am

I've always peeled them; sometimes we peeled the entire post......... other times we would just peel the butt and take your knife and open the bark on two sides of the post that was going to be above ground.

Those are really nice posts,
Back to top Go down
Tom D
Admin

PostSubject: Re: 2014 Great Plains Gathering   Tue Jun 24, 2014 12:57 pm

I know where there is cheap source of used railroad ties near you, Briann.
Back to top Go down
Grassfarmer

PostSubject: Re: 2014 Great Plains Gathering   Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:52 pm

Why don't you guys use the regular round treated fence posts?
Back to top Go down
http://www.luingcattle.com
Kent Powell

PostSubject: Re: 2014 Great Plains Gathering   Wed Jun 25, 2014 12:21 am

I still like Hedge posts the best. Bark on. Will last 50-60+ years. Grown within 100 -150 miles.

Penta, lasts 10- 15 years. Creosote 20-30 years for 6-8" posts. Transportation has made them higher than Hedge now.
Back to top Go down
http://powellangus.com
larkota

PostSubject: Re: 2014 Great Plains Gathering   Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:15 am

Grassfarmer wrote:
Why don't you guys use the regular round treated fence posts?

treated post of today are just not the same as the creosote post of years past. use to pressure treat, now they just dip and drip. also believe old growth lasted longer then the modern fast growth trees. todays post don't even make good firewood, had to go to a gas fire pit.

Tom RR ties make for good braces and corrals. hard to drive, to old to dig and tamp.

Larkota like not having to chop firewood.
Back to top Go down
Tom D
Admin

PostSubject: Re: 2014 Great Plains Gathering   Wed Jun 25, 2014 2:32 pm

I can't wait until August 2nd, so we can eat our veggie burgers around the gas fire pit, while drinking non-alcoholic beer and puffing on E-cigarettes.
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: 2014 Great Plains Gathering   Wed Jun 25, 2014 4:28 pm

Tom D wrote:
I can't wait until August 2nd, so we can eat our veggie burgers around the gas fire pit, while drinking non-alcoholic beer and puffing on E-cigarettes.
if Briann just had some registered cows, the circle would be unbroken...
Back to top Go down
rross

PostSubject: Re: 2014 Great Plains Gathering   Wed Jun 25, 2014 6:47 pm

Tom D wrote:

Will we be expected to join hands and sing "Kumbaya" while standing around this fake fire pit???
Back to top Go down
MVCatt

PostSubject: Re: 2014 Great Plains Gathering   Wed Jun 25, 2014 9:26 pm

Tom D wrote:

I think that would be the perfect setting to discuss selection principles for cows that produce less methane...looking forward to it.
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: 2014 Great Plains Gathering   Sun Jun 29, 2014 10:41 am

As Leroy and I briefly discussed some items concerning the Gathering, Leroy stated how Larry how influenced his life; changed his life in fact; saved him money; made him money; put him at peace with just his own self-satisfaction in cattle producing/breeding...and that`s a story that can oft be repeated...
though Tru-line can`t change the world; it has and can change individuals...those individuals who are unhappy with the world and wish to change it; are always going to be an unhappy and tormented lot; my sympathies  Sad 
 so that`s Sunday`s message from the preacher...
mk, in the vicinity of beginning to really enjoy the moniker  Very Happy
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: 2014 Great Plains Gathering   Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:17 pm

things are coming along; the latest Chris Byars Briann`s Batch of Brew comes off Thursday; so will have time to age  Smile Leroy has made some interesting contacts with potential in preparation at his place...if you are joining us, let us know...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 2014 Great Plains Gathering   

Back to top Go down

2014 Great Plains Gathering
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next