Keeney`s Corner

A current and reflective discussion of cattle breeding from outside the registered mainstream

HomeUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

2014 Great Plains Gathering

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: 2014 Great Plains Gathering   Sun Apr 13, 2014 7:26 am

Leroy Thorstad, Hoffman, MN and Briann Larson, Kimball , SD, enthusiastically invite everyone to the 2014 Great Plains Gathering, July 31, Aug 1 & 2. The basic objective will be to present ideas to stimulate the development of parent stock that can REGULARLY produce beef animals which at the lowest possible cost and expenditure of labor give the highest possible and longest lasting net returns to commercial producers.

Activities will begin at Leroy`s Thursday afternoon July 31 for early arrive-es, and will include a late afternoon visit to Wulf Limousin for a look at Tru-line genetics from a terminal point of view. The public agenda will begin Friday, Aug 1, at 10 am and continue after lunch at the Thorstad farm until late Friday afternoon; leaving time for dinner on your own and the 5 five hour trip to Kimball, SD at your own pace.

We will reconvene at Briann`s on Saturday afternoon, Aug 2, at 12:00 pm for burgers and beans; and end our visit with Choice Plus beef from Creek Stone at Club Vega in Kimball that evening. Other herds of interest in the general area would be Luke Perman at Lowry, SD; http://www.rockhillsranch.com/about-us/ ; and some of us plan to travel west afterwards to visit with Rod Ross, near Sheridan, WY, primarily a commercial herd that re-arranged his selection priorities many years ago to produce better beef for the least cost and expenditure of labor and Shoshone Angus, Red Lodge, MT, a pioneer in the movement to harness hybrid power to produce more from less outside the registered mainstream.

Leroy Thorstad began his current breeding direction with the purchase of two linebred maternal Angus bulls 10 years ago; and has since added females to build his own concentrated  breeding nucleus of 50 females ; with the remainder of the 140 cows influenced by the nucleus and continuede selection for maternal characteristics as the priority. Leroy has also sampled closer bred Shorthorn`s with an emphasis on marbling; and has sampled crossing his cow herd with close bred Hereford bulls to produce baldies. Leroy`s wife Silvia is also a hands on participant in the day to day activities involved with the Thorstad cowherd.

Briann Larson is a recent {six years being “recent” in cattle breeding} convert to tru-line inspired methodology; laughingly saying he has dispersed the papers but not the cows. Any visitor can attest Briann maintains at the lowest  expenditure of labor three separate gene pools; the yellow tags founded on maternal characteristics ; and the blue tags; founded on Emulous ancestry ; and crosses between the two are designated with green tags. While the plains around him are being turned under for crop production; Briann enjoys the comfort that breeding and producing cattle in a simple, commercial fashion brings on a daily basis.

The core group of tru-line inspired breeders is expanding; hopefully, the more eastern location will allow some of the newer and older, less known breeders to join us in person for the first time; and we expect the largest contingent of commercial producers to ever attend one of “the gatherings”. More details to follow; lodging, etc...ask questions and make plans accordingly.
Back to top Go down
http://www.keeneyscorner.com
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: 2014 Great Plains Gathering   Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:25 am

I received one pre-post comment...

Seems like an adventurous way for people to enjoy traveling hundreds of miles to spend the money they saved by breeding cattle at the lowest possible cost and expenditure of labor  Very Happy Very Happy 

what was that Bill Clinton campaign slogan?  Wink 
Back to top Go down
larkota

PostSubject: Re: 2014 Great Plains Gathering   Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:52 am

http://www.sturgismotorcyclerally.com/?tag=kidsbeddingset.net-20

GREAT WRITE OFF GOING TO THE RALLY.

would suggest getting rooms booked early. the rally is the 4th - 10th, but the sane ones come a week early.
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: 2014 Great Plains Gathering   Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:07 am

Leroy and Briann,
better post us some motel possibilities...we want to avoid another Drumheller night that I botched  Rolling Eyes 
Back to top Go down
larkota

PostSubject: Re: 2014 Great Plains Gathering   Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:11 am

Suggested Routes from Hoffman, Minnesota to Kimball, South Dakota
rooms will be easy to find from Sioux Falls, Mitchell, Huron.

I-90 W 309.19 miles 4 hrs 56 mins  /  5 hrs 1 min based on current traffic
I-29 S to US-14 W 302.99 miles 5 hrs 1 min  /  5 hrs 4 mins based on current traffic
US-212 W to US-14 W 302.16 miles 5 hrs 3 mins  /  5 hrs 1 min based on current traffic

Kimball, South Dakota to Sheridan, Wyoming
rooms will be harder to find going west. some very nice motels at Chamberlain SD, right on the river.  the closer to Sturgis would think they would be harder to get without early reservations.
Via I-90 W 467.97 miles 7 hrs 6 mins  /  7 hrs 16 mins based on current traffic. you gain an hour at Murdo, SD going west.

give us a idea what you all want to do or see and am sure Leroy, Rod, or myself would be more then happy to help make arrangements.  Mitchell SD does have the worlds largest bird feeder.
http://www.roadsideamerica.com/story/2215

email me at larkotaangus@hotmail.com, call me at 605-730-6353

Briann

Lodging for Leroy`s place

Hampton Inn and Suites 320-763-3360
Holiday Inn 320-763-6577
Days Inn 320-762-1171
Super 8 Motel 320-763-6552
These are all in Alexandria MN -- twenty minutes away ...
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: 2014 Great Plains Gathering   Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:03 pm

got my tickets and car booked... covered the cost with all the money LL`s most recent post saved me ... Very Happy cheers 
Back to top Go down
LCP

PostSubject: Re: 2014 Great Plains Gathering   Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:09 am

Just a note to those who are thinking about stopping by our place...my wife's family is having a reunion that weekend in northern MN, and I don't know for sure if I'll be going or not.  Best to contact me in advance if you're thinking about stopping, just to make sure someone is home.

If you really want to visit, we're having two other tours this summer.  It sounds like we're some sort of destination, but we just have cows and grass like a lot of other places.  We are one of the stops on the   Western Livestock Journal SD Prairie Lands Tour on June 26 .  We are also having a tour on July 2 as a result of being selected for the Leopold Conservation Award in South Dakota.  The July 2 tour will be better, and its free.  Both tours will probably be heavy on range management and light on genetics, but I'm sure there will be some discussion of breeding cattle at some point.  

In no way am I trying to diminish the Great Plains Gathering at the end of July...if I had my choice, that is where I'd go first.
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: 2014 Great Plains Gathering   Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:59 am

LCP wrote:
Just a note to those who are thinking about stopping by our place...my wife's family is having a reunion that weekend in northern MN, and I don't know for sure if I'll be going or not.  Best to contact me in advance if you're thinking about stopping, just to make sure someone is home.

If you really want to visit, we're having two other tours this summer.  It sounds like we're some sort of destination, but we just have cows and grass like a lot of other places.  We are one of the stops on the   Western Livestock Journal SD Prairie Lands Tour on June 26 .  We are also having a tour on July 2 as a result of being selected for the Leopold Conservation Award in South Dakota.  The July 2 tour will be better, and its free.  Both tours will probably be heavy on range management and light on genetics, but I'm sure there will be some discussion of breeding cattle at some point.  

In no way am I trying to diminish the Great Plains Gathering at the end of July...if I had my choice, that is where I'd go first.

thx Luke; maybe you can drop by Leroy`s on the way...
since Leroy travels a lot as well; I wonder if he patterns his selection after the pictures he takes... Smile 

look familiar Megan?  Smile
Back to top Go down
pukerimu

PostSubject: Re: 2014 Great Plains Gathering   Fri Apr 25, 2014 4:55 pm

Haha Mike - checking to see what sort of board stalker I really am huh? ........................ Prolific is the answer  lol! Shame I cannot quite make out the calves tag or would be able to bore you all with the details  Very Happy Great picture Leroy - you told me your photography was not great - looks pretty good from here  Wink 
Back to top Go down
http://www.mtmableangus.co.nz
Larry Leonhardt

PostSubject: Re: 2014 Great Plains Gathering   Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:13 pm

MKeeney wrote:
LCP wrote:

since Leroy travels a lot as well; I wonder if he patterns his selection after the pictures he takes... Smile 

From Leroy's picture, the only difference I see between "NZ hill country cattle" and Texas Longhorns is the horns Very Happy Very Happy
Back to top Go down
RobertMac

PostSubject: Re: 2014 Great Plains Gathering   Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:46 pm

Larry Leonhardt wrote:
MKeeney wrote:
LCP wrote:

From Leroy's picture, the only difference I see between "NZ hill country cattle" and Texas Longhorns is the horns   Very Happy Very Happy
And the grass....
Back to top Go down
Grassfarmer

PostSubject: Re: 2014 Great Plains Gathering   Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:37 pm

Would these be two of your bulls Megan, LOL

Back to top Go down
http://www.luingcattle.com
pukerimu

PostSubject: Re: 2014 Great Plains Gathering   Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:40 pm

"Out of the way sheep shagger" - this is a classic ad - cannot take claim for the cattle though. Have a look for the Hilux "bugger" ad too - it is also funny
Back to top Go down
pukerimu

PostSubject: Re: 2014 Great Plains Gathering   Sat Apr 26, 2014 5:03 am

Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: 2014 Great Plains Gathering   Sat Apr 26, 2014 7:02 am

Megan,
your pasture plants look familiar...timothy heads in pastures? and the white flowering weed  could be whitetop?

the yellow flower...buttercup?

A bit off thread from the great plains gathering; but we`ll get there in due time  Smile
Back to top Go down
pukerimu

PostSubject: Re: 2014 Great Plains Gathering   Sat Apr 26, 2014 4:00 pm

Hard to tell in the pic - most of the pasture on the flats has been improved but weeds come in - think the white flowers is clover rather than a weed - was flowering then. The yellow is dandelion rather than buttercup although we do get some buttercup in less improved paddocks. We would call the heads "browntop" which is a native, not very palatable and VERY persistent grass. The grass should mostly be rye grass varieties but as we explained to Leroy when he was here we are under annual attack from a native moth larvae which demolishes clover and any improved grasses during the early spring - the adult moth lays up to 4000 eggs a night, the larvae burrow and then come out at night to graze - they eat the grass off at the ground level - what can look like a swathe of dry grass will actually pull away in the hand as it has been cut off at the ground and when it finally dries off and goes there are large (enormous depending on larvae population) bare patches of earth - it took us a season to recognise it when we first arrived and now we spray with the helicopter every July/August when the larvae are small - less toxic spray required - where they have been the natives and less palatable grass moves in to take over.

Much of the North Island was in drought when Leroy was here - we are lucky to catch showers as they come over the ranges but we were drier than normal and creeks were running low. The bulls had only been put in that paddock that morning so they had not eaten much of the clover down at that time. We were shuffling them at that stage - trying to give them something fresh to pick at regularly instead of picking on each other  Very Happy 
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: 2014 Great Plains Gathering   Sat Apr 26, 2014 11:18 pm

Chris Byars , Tru-line breeder, Fortuna, MO is here tonight as well as Briann and Lisa...most of the excitement has been about the kegs of Chris`s craft beer he is bringing to Kimball for the Gathering...let`s don`t overdo the publicity on those plans; we want the bikers to stay in Sturgis and the cattle breeders in Kimball  Very Happy 
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: 2014 Great Plains Gathering   Sun Apr 27, 2014 8:19 am

"joy rises in me like a summer morn when I am in the company of other cattlemen and when I am in the company of my own cattle " KA Clark

time to spread that extra special joy to Leroy and Briann....

Back to top Go down
Larry Leonhardt

PostSubject: Re: 2014 Great Plains Gathering   Sun Apr 27, 2014 6:56 pm

Maximizing genetic diversity for rarity, things you won't see at the 2014 Great Plains Gathering ...... real live TruLine Zonkies........

Khumba the zonkey was born on April 21 in Mexico.

And you won't see composite breeding using American made across-breed EPD numbers "down under" ...  resulting in the cow below which typifies an academic version of "harnessing" hybrid power with the predictability and safety of preserving academia recommended variation  : ))

You also won't see any of Brian's aversive aberrations, he has zero tolerance for those who fatten breeding heifers and for sucking cows 'n bulls needin' to wear nose rings to cure their lifetime addiction to milk

Crown Weaning Ring - Cow

No, that's not a crown to signify a king or queen in a circular society.....But if you are looking for more rare variety, as you travel through the surrounding areas of KS, NE, IA, MT, ND & SD,  you can expect to SEE cattle from Texas Longhorns to SEVERAL groups of "starving bulls" livin' off of  air, sunshine, water.......'n lots of TLC

LL - jus' wiling away a lazy Sunday afternoon supplementing Leroy's world travel pictures  Smile
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: 2014 Great Plains Gathering   Mon Apr 28, 2014 6:51 am

yelp, LL, the age old debate; what type cow,  how much cow, and what do you give up to get her...so long as someone doesn`t tell me "theirs do everything best", to each his own...and the breeding effort is to increase the percentage that fits their ideal...

and here I thought going to Wulf was going to be interesting; seeing a specially bred Limmy to be used on Jersey heifers...and one of our enterprising hillbillies is doing it right here in Ky...

http://lexington.craigslist.org/grd/4442177938.html

[i]18 month old Limousin/Jersey bull for sale. Super super low birthweight, would be great for heifers. Scurred, dam and sire are both polled. Dam is a great milker. He has calves on the ground already. Asking $1100. Calls only, please leave a message

Back to top Go down
MVCatt

PostSubject: Re: 2014 Great Plains Gathering   Mon Apr 28, 2014 12:57 pm

MKeeney wrote:

and here I thought going to Wulf was going to be interesting; seeing a specially bred Limmy to be used on Jersey heifers...and one of our enterprising hillbillies is doing it right here in Ky...

[i]18 month old Limousin/Jersey bull for sale. Super super low birthweight, would be great for heifers. Scurred, dam and sire are both polled. Dam is a great milker. He has calves on the ground already. Asking $1100. Calls only, please leave a message

Will I get the Jersey BW? or the Limmy BW? Will I get the Jersey muscle? or the Limmy muscle? My guess would be...both...strung out over a huge inconsistent bell curve.

MV...Just guess'n
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: 2014 Great Plains Gathering   Mon Apr 28, 2014 1:05 pm

MVCatt wrote:
MKeeney wrote:

Will I get the Jersey BW? or the Limmy BW? Will I get the Jersey muscle? or the Limmy muscle? My guess would be...both...strung out over a huge inconsistent bell curve.

MV...Just guess'n

calves on the ground already..must be early maturing  Smile  calls only; but no phone number...poster needs to take the marketing for dummies class  Very Happy 
Back to top Go down
Grassfarmer

PostSubject: Re: 2014 Great Plains Gathering   Mon Apr 28, 2014 2:17 pm

MVCatt wrote:
MKeeney wrote:

MV...Just guess'n

Well by the look of the front legs and feet at least he wouldn't be able to chase you quite as quick as some Limos do. That would be a bonus.
Back to top Go down
http://www.luingcattle.com
Larry Leonhardt

PostSubject: Re: 2014 Great Plains Gathering   Mon Apr 28, 2014 5:21 pm

Grassfarmer wrote:
MVCatt wrote:
MKeeney wrote:

MV...Just guess'n

Well by the look of the front legs and feet at least he wouldn't be able to chase you quite as quick as some Limos do. That would be a bonus.

Welcome to the hopeless era of mongrelized lotteries - I'd be more concerned with the temperament of the Jersey bull than the Limos. Mike, could you please explain the purpose of KC Gatherings?
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: 2014 Great Plains Gathering   Mon Apr 28, 2014 6:51 pm

Larry Leonhardt wrote:
Welcome to the hopeless era of mongrolized lotteries - I'd be more concerned with the temperment of the Jersey bull than the Limos. Mike, could you please explain the purpose of KC Gatherings?

oh, that`s an easy one for me...to spread the good news  cheers 

maybe you/we should ask,

why do people attend?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 2014 Great Plains Gathering   

Back to top Go down

2014 Great Plains Gathering
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 6Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next