Keeney`s Corner

A current and reflective discussion of cattle breeding from outside the registered mainstream

HomeUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Hansen Bros 2014

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Gus

PostSubject: Hansen Bros 2014   Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:57 pm

Yes... I may have went insane, but I entered 6 head.

Last edited by Gus on Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
PatB

PostSubject: Re: Hansen Bros 2014   Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:05 pm

Good luck and keep us informed on the results.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Hansen Bros 2014   Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:03 pm

They look good to me Gus.
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Hansen Bros 2014   Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:30 pm

Gus, how do your bulls compare on yw epd to the average of the test?
Back to top Go down
http://www.keeneyscorner.com
Gus

PostSubject: Re: Hansen Bros 2014   Wed Feb 26, 2014 6:52 pm

Mine average 38.5 compared to 90.9 for the other ones.
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Hansen Bros 2014   Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:38 am

Gus wrote:
Mine average 38.5 compared to 90.9 for the other ones.

so in that feed environment, you should be about 100lb below the average at yearling on actual weights...
Back to top Go down
Gus

PostSubject: Re: Hansen Bros 2014   Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:05 pm

My top bull if you go by WDA is 3.4 and there are only 5 that beat that. None of my bulls are a year old yet. The big day is tomorrow, so we will if anybody has any interest in hard calving, no growth no milk bulls.
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Hansen Bros 2014   Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:01 pm

Gus wrote:
My top bull if you go by WDA is 3.4 and there are only 5 that beat that.  None of my bulls are a year old yet. The big day is tomorrow, so we will if anybody has any interest in hard calving, no growth no milk bulls.

sure has become a hypothetical and theoretical paper world...hope some real cattleman show up Gus..
Back to top Go down
Gus

PostSubject: Re: Hansen Bros 2014   Thu Mar 13, 2014 2:13 pm

3 sold. 3 no sold, was a mistake on my part. The only highlite for me was 2 of my bulls went to a repeat buyer that was just looking not needing any bulls.

the full brother to this cow was a no sell. with a maternal index of .34 He was the one with a genomic score of 7 for heifer pregnancy with the revision it went down to being in the top 30 percent, but I guess that's not a maternal trait.

No wonder I can't sell bulls, I don't know what a good cow or bull is suppose to look like. I also can't make the ones with high numbers and indexes work on the ranch. Therefore, bull calves will be scares this fall, I do have a Stability bull calf that will probably be retained for in herd use. In the mean time I need to pawn off 8 yearlings.

I'm back to the ranch, no internet there, so if I don't respond, I'm not just blowing you off.
Back to top Go down
Gus

PostSubject: Re: Hansen Bros 2014   Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:12 pm

Well I couldn't sell my 436 bull (full brother to the cow pictured) therefore I turned him out with the cows.

after running with the cows this is what he looks like. He was very active and held his condition well, it has been a
good year grass wise. I'm putting a lot of faith in my 736 line. Bull battery is 736 son, grandson ,great grandson.
The bull in the picture facing forwards is the great grandson.
The Cujo heifer calf in the picture had this when she was 16 months old.

Was it fate? I can say I wasn't very pleased when it became obvious she was going to have a calf.
using a quote from my uncle "I was so mad I could spit nails"

Today I'm quite pleased with the results

with his sire needing put down because of a injury I only have a few calves from him, I have left 306 as a bull.

Oh this was what I really meant to post

These boys are still trying to fine somewhere to work, all are 736 sons out of what I would call good proven cows.
Back to top Go down
Gus

PostSubject: Re: Hansen Bros 2014   Tue Nov 04, 2014 2:47 pm

Wow!!!!

Just sold 2 of my bulls, they are suppose to get picked-up Thursday. Only going about a mile down the road Very Happy

This is a full brother to one of the bulls spoken for, except he is a steer, oh he's out of a 13 year old cow.

Maybe I don't know what a good aged cow is suppose to look like.

But than my cow is still just a young cow @ 13 probably won't make 16. But for now she is still on the keeping list.
Yes I've bragged about her before. I think Mike says 6% of cows are just good, and the pedigree doesn't matter....That's probably her, but I like to think it was my great breeding program. How is she at reproducing herself, well I finally got around to keeping one of her daughters, full sister to calf and bull, out of 736. As a first calf heifer she represented herself well except she doesn't have her mothers manners a little bit on the flighty side, if that's not a option well she acts like she might eat you. Sad
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Hansen Bros 2014   Thu Nov 06, 2014 9:32 am

I`ve got an 19 yr old cow or two around that looks ok...hear a few brags along about such individuals...but Gus hits at the heart of the matter...
what is the repeatability and heritability of these cow`s longevity? hard to determine in a lifetime...can we instead decipher a type that lives and produces longer?
Back to top Go down
pukerimu

PostSubject: Re: Hansen Bros 2014   Sat Nov 08, 2014 12:14 am

Nice cows - thank you for posting
Back to top Go down
http://www.mtmableangus.co.nz
Gus

PostSubject: Re: Hansen Bros 2014   Sun Nov 09, 2014 2:56 pm

I don't recall having any cows having more than 14 calves, but they may have been able to produce more, they just didn't get the chance. In some cases they still looked okay, but were sold solely because they were being replaced by younger cows. The 6 cow is a Fire and Ice mating, some would say she is a crossbred as her sire has ?? as to his purity. She might be a case of hybrid vigor. I think longevity is important, but how do you line up longevity in several generations on both sides of a pedigree and measure or compare the results in ones lifetime? I just have to go with my gut and say I hope it has more heritability than what the experts say.  

Even tho in my opinion the picture of the Octoraro cow show a lot of wear and tear, with a 25% IBC I would hope would have more of a repeatability than my Fire an Ice outcross . I have a lot of respect for their program, and one I like to keep tract of.
Back to top Go down
Gus

PostSubject: Re: Hansen Bros 2014   Sat Aug 08, 2015 11:58 pm

This is my unwanted bull last year.

This is what he looks like this year.

Oh that's my shadow as you can see I have no heart.

This is his full sister standing in the rain "ya! we needed it", shes seldom very far from her young-en

Commotion and Promotion Laughing
Back to top Go down
Gus

PostSubject: Re: Hansen Bros 2014   Sun Aug 09, 2015 12:16 am

My oldest 736 daughter, I have no idea why I like her?

I wounder what her maternal index would be?

My eyes tells me ...... do I dare say ideal.
Back to top Go down
EddieM

PostSubject: Re: Hansen Bros 2014   Sun Aug 09, 2015 7:27 am

Very impressive. Interesting in study of type. Environmentally, your cow type would be on the maximum end of fleshy and functional here to keep both production and longevity but we have sorry grass, bad temps and humidity, ... Will refrain from saying "we raise them ruff" to keep from giving Mike morning heartburn! Laughing Environmentally we probably have more limitations for black cows in a SE USA environment. But the overall type, of well functioning cattle, is the same. Every time you post a picture of your cows, it reminds me of a cow here from years ago, #122. She was a trooper and left her %. Thanks for sharing.
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Hansen Bros 2014   Sun Aug 09, 2015 7:30 am

We`ve waited on df for a meaningful maternal index for 5 years now...instead of publishing, he has perished...
Back to top Go down
Gus

PostSubject: Re: Hansen Bros 2014   Sun Aug 09, 2015 11:52 am

EddieM wrote:
 Environmentally, your cow type would be on the maximum end of fleshy and functional here to keep both production and longevity but we have sorry grass, bad temps and humidity, ...  Will refrain from saying "we raise them ruff" to keep from giving Mike morning heartburn!  Laughing   Environmentally we probably have more limitations for black cows in a SE USA environment.  But the overall type, of well functioning cattle, is the same.  

The summers here are very nice for raising cattle, mild temperatures, low fly population. We use to have high levels of mosquitoes, but with West Nile the mosquito abatement team be came very aggressive, so even they have been taken care of.   When we have grass we have very good grass, the problem is we have long winters, and feed a lot of hay. I seldom bring in outside cattle to the herd.  But when I bought my registered cows they came from Utah, interesting their weaning weight went up but their ratio went down, and the one cow the former owner told me was a disappointment to him, and I only purchased because I got confused as to what I marked to buy and what I marked to avoid. As it turned out she was one of two that became above average for ratios over the commercial cows. She was also the only cow from the originals that I kept a bull for my personal use. I guess that's shows what kind of cow person I am, but it did make me believe you have to match the cows to the environment.

Back to top Go down
df

PostSubject: Re: Hansen Bros 2014   Sun Aug 09, 2015 4:46 pm

MKeeney wrote:
We`ve waited on df for a meaningful maternal index for 5 years now...instead of publishing, he has perished...

Judged the local county fair last night. Could have chosen an outstanding Charolais female for overall Supreme champion that weighed >1300 and had not calved yet. Would have been the easy thing to do and not have to explain a thing.
Back to top Go down
EddieM

PostSubject: Re: Hansen Bros 2014   Sun Aug 09, 2015 4:56 pm

df wrote:
MKeeney wrote:

Judged the local county fair last night.  Could have chosen an outstanding Charolais female for overall Supreme champion that weighed >1300 and had not calved yet. Would have been the easy thing to do and not have to explain a thing.
So glad to hear that you picked the Longhorn instead. That df, what a guy! jocolor
Back to top Go down
RobertMac

PostSubject: Re: Hansen Bros 2014   Sun Aug 09, 2015 9:08 pm

df wrote:
MKeeney wrote:

Judged the local county fair last night.  Could have chosen an outstanding Charolais female for overall Supreme champion that weighed >1300 and had not calved yet. Would have been the easy thing to do and not have to explain a thing.

Champion steer would be more appropriate! cheers
Back to top Go down
Gus

PostSubject: Re: Hansen Bros 2014   Sun Aug 09, 2015 10:20 pm

Maternal value / index ???
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Hansen Bros 2014   Sun Aug 09, 2015 10:35 pm

Gus wrote:
Maternal value / index ???

"My customers don't need papers filled with
costly measures. They need to know what my bulls will and will
not do." LL
Back to top Go down
Gus

PostSubject: Re: Hansen Bros 2014   Sun Aug 09, 2015 10:54 pm

107 is my herd bull producer

901's calf is out of him.

The bull himself seldom stands still when I have a camera with me.

this is a picture from last fall he is the one on the right facing forward.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hansen Bros 2014   

Back to top Go down

Hansen Bros 2014
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next