Keeney`s Corner

A current and reflective discussion of cattle breeding from outside the registered mainstream

HomeUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Natures Blueprint

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Kent Powell

PostSubject: Natures Blueprint   Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:01 pm

Back to top Go down
http://powellangus.com

PostSubject: Re: Natures Blueprint   Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:51 pm

Kent Powell wrote:
http://naturesblueprintcow.com/

Worth the read Kent. Thanks.

Just a taste.

Computer Generated Breeding Values (CGBVs)
The recent full page advertisement taken by a group of Australia’s leading Poll Dorset Stud Sheep Breeders publicly announcing their dissatisfaction with ASBVs commonly known as Lambplan struck a chord with me.  Anyone who has ever spoken with me or read any of my writings will be clear that I passionately believe the heavy use on CGBVs have done much damage to the economic functionality of our beef and dairy cattle.  Whether we are speaking of EBVs in beef cattle, APRs in Australian dairy cattle or BWs in New Zealand dairy cattle – the disconnect between the continuing improvement of the figures not being reflected in the ensuing progenys’ performance (in commercial) herds is consistent.  Most Countries in the World are using CGBVs for genetic evaluation.
I am all for the collection and accurate analysis of actual raw data. Problems occur when academics apply assumptions and weightings to the raw data values and convert them into (usually) a single numbered index value. Commercial producers are urged to use these values when making their genetic selections. These CGBVs have turned into marketing tools and the weight put behind the promotion of these systems versus any accurate evaluation of their affect is very unbalanced.
And as these Poll Dorset Breeders rightly pointed out – designed and monitored by people who have never bred or fed an animal in their life.
Let’s look at the Angus breed which has been viewed by all other breeds as the most successful as it had the most EBVs across the most traits first. If this system is as good as those which espouse it say, why now are there paddocks of commercial Angus cows (in good grass) with little meat on them? In a breed which once stood alone in its ability to maintain good body condition, rear a good calf and rebreed in nutritional environments where many other breeds would die!
The problem in the Angus Breed is that the Society and the ‘big’ seed stock players are so entrenched in this system they cannot even contemplate that it is not doing what it is marketed as doing.
When one steps back and takes a look the picture is clear – as the figures get better the cattle get worse. Paper cattle when commercial producers (who pay all the bills of seed stock suppliers and those behind these figures) require paddock cattle.
The serious problem in the industry is that the ability to accurately assess livestock by visual physical appraisal has disappeared and very inferior animals are being ‘carried’ by very questionable numbers.
So many bad cattle with excuses continually being made for them – it has been dry, wet, hot or cold. Good cattle deal with whatever Mother Nature dishes out. The paper cattle do not/cannot.
Back to top Go down
Kent Powell

PostSubject: Re: Natures Blueprint   Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:30 pm

I see the problem as twofold. Commercial cattle people not being considered professionals who can make their own decisions and Commercial cattle people who will not stand up as professionals and figure out what they need.

Those who desire the most up to date training and are the most malleable are revered as the cutting edge. The good cattlemen. Who wants to be a bad cattleman? We need to go get certified for this or that, because we are told we are what is wrong with the beef industry. We need plaques and framed certificates on the wall to show everyone how good and compliant we are. We are selling out the last great industry to be just like all the others. The last place hundred thousand dollar deals were done with a handshake. The last place where results talked and BullS^%$ walked, has been replaced with verified this, certified that. Breeders and associations tout the changes in their EPD's as improvement even though there has been no actual measurable improvement in commercial weaning weights in more than a decade.

The whole registered thing is grasping for a purpose. Power is all they have left to grab. Whoda thunk a purity preservation pedigree drawer advertising now and then would end up so powerful ? Any Liberty loving American, but that is a dying breed too.

I suppose it is societal. Many don't seem to mind being told what to do. Ranching used to be different. No one told ranchers what to do. They were independent. They were a pain in the industrial model's ass, but they held the land and labor, so they were a necessary pain.

What has happened to the quality and perception of beef since the American rancher has given in to the pressure? What has happened to the consumption of beef since mom and pop were driven out in favor of protecting a few big packers? We are not allowed to produce our own product and proudly stand by it. We are either a part of the beef industry as it evolves, or we are against it. No matter how much they screw up, we are supposed to be good little cheerleaders consenting to whatever the unaccountable deem necessary.

"There go the people. I must follow them, for I am their leader." Alexandre Auguste Ledru-Rollin
Back to top Go down
outsidethebox

PostSubject: Re: Natures Blueprint   Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:24 am

Kent, you are on fire here. But I am not sure the human race is any better or worse than it has ever been in this regard...99% have always been good little lemmings.
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Natures Blueprint   Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:31 pm

Kent Powell wrote:
I see the  problem as  twofold.  Commercial cattle  people not being considered professionals who can make their own decisions and Commercial cattle people who will not stand up as professionals and figure out what they need.

Those who desire the most up to date training and are the  most malleable are revered as the cutting edge.  The good cattlemen.  Who wants to be a bad cattleman?  We need to go get certified for this or that, because we are told we are  what is wrong with the beef industry.  We need plaques and framed certificates on the wall to show everyone how good and compliant we are.  We are selling out the last great industry to be just like all the others.  The last place hundred thousand dollar deals were done with a handshake.  The last place where results talked and BullS^%$ walked, has been replaced with verified this, certified that.  Breeders and associations tout the changes in their EPD's as improvement  even though there has been no actual measurable improvement in commercial weaning weights in more than a decade.

The whole registered thing is grasping for a purpose.  Power is all they have left to grab.  Whoda thunk a purity preservation pedigree drawer advertising now and then would end up so powerful ?  Any Liberty loving American, but that is a dying breed too.  

I suppose it is societal.  Many don't seem to mind being told what to do.  Ranching used to be different.  No one told ranchers what to do.  They were independent.  They were a pain in the industrial model's ass, but they held the land and labor, so they were a necessary pain.  

What has happened to the quality and perception of beef since the American rancher has given in to the pressure?  What has happened to the consumption of beef since mom and pop were driven out in favor of protecting a few big packers?  We are not allowed to produce our own product and proudly stand by it.  We are either a part of the beef industry as it evolves, or we are against it.    No matter how much they screw up, we are supposed to be good little cheerleaders consenting to whatever the unaccountable deem necessary.

"There go the people. I must follow them, for I am their leader." Alexandre Auguste Ledru-Rollin

THX Kent, for writing, with your permission, my next KC "guest editorial" in the KY Cow Country news  cheers 
Back to top Go down
http://www.keeneyscorner.com
Kent Powell

PostSubject: Re: Natures Blueprint   Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:22 pm

Granted. Almost not posted. A what the heck moment.

If you are not beyond compliance, you are doing it wrong.

KP
Perpetually noncompliant.
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Natures Blueprint   Fri Feb 21, 2014 6:11 pm

Kent Powell wrote:
Granted.  Almost not posted.  A what the heck moment.  

KP
I`ve forwarded the post to our beef cattle association executive secretary...been a while since I sent him a reminder of what the association is destroying...
Back to top Go down
http://www.keeneyscorner.com
RobertMac

PostSubject: Re: Natures Blueprint   Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:42 pm

MKeeney wrote:
Kent Powell wrote:
Granted.  Almost not posted.  A what the heck moment.  

KP
I`ve forwarded the post to our beef cattle association executive secretary...been a while since I sent him a reminder of what the association is destroying...

He won't get the point...neither will our latest contributor.

Great post Kent...it is really scary how fast we are giving up our independence and freedoms.
Back to top Go down
pukerimu

PostSubject: Re: Natures Blueprint   Sat Feb 22, 2014 4:54 am

http://www.lincoln.ac.nz/News--Events/News/Current/Expression-of-genetic-growth-potential-underpinned-by-feed-allowance/

This study was in all likelihood undertaken to "prove the science" which I believe is borne out the complete lack of mention of how the two groups compared with the 170% ration - negligibly I would think, as it does not take a scientist to understand that virtually all species will perform out of it's genetic potential if it is fed well, on quantities well above maintenance ration. The difference between the two groups on the minimal ration is startling and should be very worrying for any in NZ who have taken the "high growth = the best" mantra over the last few years in cattle - Angus particularly.

A large study is hopefully to be undertaken in NZ on breeding "hill country" suitable cattle and sheep - much noise being made by many Angus breeders (ourselves included) questioning the direction that the breeding for EBV's has taken our breed. Apparently only a few of us have remembered that E stands for estimated and therefore EBV's are only one of a large array of tools in cattle selection.

There are 90 conversions (sheep and beef farms to dairy) planned in the Southland district of NZ alone during 2014. For every two farms actually converted to milking platforms at least one other goes into dairy support - ie grazing replacement heifers, wintering milking cows or growing supplements - with the march of the black and whites (and jerseys, kiwicross etc) across the lowlands of NZ the breeding ewe and cow is being pushed further and further into the high and hard hill country. I liken the angus genetics that have been brought in from the US and Australia complete with their feedlot generated data (EBV's) as trying to use a Ferrari to plough a field - something is going to give.

As for "experts" determining the face of farming - our experts have had to admit that they got the sheep numbers in NZ wrong by about 5 million head judging from the low volumes of wool clip coming into the auctions - hardly surprising in the face of plummeting returns, a once in 80yr drought and seemingly the meat processors cutting off their noses to spite their faces and paying high prices for ewes and comparatively less for lambs - the Chinese have a greater taste for mutton than lamb - no one has told the experts apparently that if there are not ewes then there are not lambs, then there are not ewes etc etc
Back to top Go down
http://www.mtmableangus.co.nz
Kent Powell

PostSubject: Re: Natures Blueprint   Sat Feb 22, 2014 9:06 am

I have lots of faith in humanity, none in authority. The addiction to authority is worse than anything that can be consumed, smoked, or injected.

outsidethebox wrote:
Kent, you are on fire here. But I am not sure the human race is any better or worse than it has ever been in this regard...99% have always been good little lemmings.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Natures Blueprint   

Back to top Go down

Natures Blueprint
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1