Keeney`s Corner

A current and reflective discussion of cattle breeding from outside the registered mainstream

HomeUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

stockpiled fescue and daily poliwire move

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
EddieM

PostSubject: Re: stockpiled fescue and daily poliwire move   Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:37 pm

MKeeney wrote:
EddieM wrote:
RobertMac wrote:
Do you keep any hay out on this spring grass and do the cows pay any attention to it?
No, just the grass.  Hay would help slow the pass through rate but is another expense.

Eddie, 77 degrees today...the fescue stockpile is taking on a green undercoat; as is the zoysia  Smile 

Stockpiling is history until late fall. We're rotating pastures now with green stuff. 85 here for a high. Bugs are flying and birds are singing. Thought we had been skunked on the legumes with a dry November and a cold winter but some of them are doing their thing, too. Just hope that we can do without what seemed to be an "annual drought" pattern in recent years.
Back to top Go down
Grassfarmer

PostSubject: Re: stockpiled fescue and daily poliwire move   Sat Apr 05, 2014 10:03 pm

EddieM wrote:

Stockpiling is history until late fall.  We're rotating pastures now with green stuff.  85 here for a high.

Care to send some of that heat up here Eddie?

That sinking feeling when the reality hits that we aren't going to be calving on banked grass by next weekend  Sad 

Had to borrow the neighbours wheels to clear off some more pads to feed on while we await a thaw.

Mike's pet cow checking out the tackle.
Back to top Go down
http://www.luingcattle.com
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: stockpiled fescue and daily poliwire move   Sun Apr 06, 2014 10:02 am

Grassfarmer wrote:
EddieM wrote:

Stockpiling is history until late fall.  We're rotating pastures now with green stuff.  85 here for a high.

Care to send some of that heat up here Eddie?

That sinking feeling when the reality hits that we aren't going to be calving on banked grass by next weekend  Sad 

Had to borrow the neighbours wheels to clear off some more pads to feed on while we await a thaw.

Mike's pet cow checking out the tackle.

grassy...hmmmm...where did that name come from?  Shocked Rolling Eyes  my thoughts are with ya; thankfully, in spirit and not body  Smile 
Back to top Go down
http://www.keeneyscorner.com
Grassfarmer

PostSubject: Re: stockpiled fescue and daily poliwire move   Sun Apr 06, 2014 10:12 am

Back to top Go down
http://www.luingcattle.com
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: stockpiled fescue and daily poliwire move   Sun Apr 06, 2014 10:46 am

Grassfarmer wrote:

so that`s where the name Grassfarmer comes from Rolling EyesRolling Eyes Smile ...and from that grass and your cows, the best grass produced beef I`ve ever eaten...  cheers 
Back to top Go down
http://www.keeneyscorner.com
outsidethebox

PostSubject: Re: stockpiled fescue and daily poliwire move   Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:08 am

MVCatt wrote:
Eddie,
During the grazing season do you graze the sheep and cattle together? Cattle first then sheep? How many cows/ewes per acre?

I'm not Eddie but we have sheep and we routinely graze them with the cows. Neither the cows nor the sheep have a problem with this. We have 50 sheep and 6 cows. (One day I will get some pictures up here...especially of my 40%+ IBC calves.) Our LGDs do not have a problem with this arrangement either...they find a neutral place to hang out and keep their distance from the cows.

Back to top Go down
MVCatt

PostSubject: Re: stockpiled fescue and daily poliwire move   Mon Apr 07, 2014 5:32 pm

outsidethebox wrote:
MVCatt wrote:
Eddie,
During the grazing season do you graze the sheep and cattle together? Cattle first then sheep? How many cows/ewes per acre?

I'm not Eddie but we have sheep and we routinely graze them with the cows. Neither the cows nor the sheep have a problem with this. We have 50 sheep and 6 cows. (One day I will get some pictures up here...especially of my 40%+ IBC calves.) Our LGDs do not have a problem with this arrangement either...they find a neutral place to hang out and keep their distance from the cows.

Dearest OSTB,
It would be great if you would post some inbred calf pictures here for our viewing pleasure. We would also enjoy seeing some pictures of your sheep. Please feel free to attach you're BLUP generated EBV data so that we all know exactly what it is we are looking at. Oh...and one more thing please stop all of this crazy prepotency talk. Good Day Ole Chap.  Smile 

MV...Speaking in a British accent.
Back to top Go down
outsidethebox

PostSubject: Re: stockpiled fescue and daily poliwire move   Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:16 pm

MVCatt wrote:
outsidethebox wrote:
MVCatt wrote:
Eddie,

Dearest OSTB,
It would be great if you would post some inbred calf pictures here for our viewing pleasure. We would also enjoy seeing some pictures of your sheep. Please feel free to attach you're BLUP generated EBV data so that we all know exactly what it is we are looking at. Oh...and one more thing please stop all of this crazy prepotency talk. Good Day Ole Chap.  Smile 

MV...Speaking in a British accent.

Dear MV,

I was raised in northern Indiana. You are going to have to speak more slowly and in a sound mid-western accent if you expect me to understand exactly what you are asking. Besides, I have become most disinterested (lazy?) with regard to any hoop-jumping. I have not registered any calves this year nor last. This is not because I have MK's aversion or strong ideological beliefs that I am holding on to. Besides, you have to renew your membership to register cattle as well. Okay, so maybe I don't see the point of it at this time. The female registrations #s of the high IBC calves are 15687585 and 16723512 and the bull is 16896617. It is all about priorities these days....am trying to exercise the patience required to see what my cattle are made of...and I believe I have a lot better things to do than record them in a registry...though (tomorrow) I may decide to do it-but not likely.
Back to top Go down
EddieM

PostSubject: Re: stockpiled fescue and daily poliwire move   Thu Jul 03, 2014 8:34 am

For all of the "fescue fans" out there you will just have to wait until September or October for that topic to come into vogue. Yesterday I finally had enough soil moisture (and the hope for a pop up shower) to drill in a "Ray Archeletta inspired seed mix". Ray is the soil health guru for NRCS as some of you have discussed here before: Pat, I think it was. He advocates a blend of grasses, legumes and forbes to allow a wide range of soil fungus types. It is more technical and has more potential when he describes it.

Anyhow, for experimental purposes, it was a mix of browntop millet, hybrid pearl millet, grazing selection of sudan, cowpeas and sunflowers. If it works as I expect, some species will excel and others will not. But that is the information I need. This will be used to time graze sheep. I can only imagine how happy the deer will be in the meantime! If it works good, if not, well that's OK because I got some value out of sweating off a few pounds in the heat.

If any of it sprouts I'll try to add some pictures.
Back to top Go down
RobertMac

PostSubject: Re: stockpiled fescue and daily poliwire move   Thu Jul 03, 2014 3:06 pm

I'll be intersted to see how this turns out for you. Having crabgrass in the mix would be interesting.
Back to top Go down
EddieM

PostSubject: Re: stockpiled fescue and daily poliwire move   Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:10 pm

I like crabgrass and maybe that should have been the choice. The mix keeps me from having all of my eggs in one basket.
Back to top Go down
PatB

PostSubject: Re: stockpiled fescue and daily poliwire move   Fri Jul 04, 2014 8:55 am

why no clover in the mix? I am a firm believer in adding multiple species of grass and clover to any seed mix I use. The last mix I spread had orchard grass blend, perrenial rye grass blend, meadow fescue, kora tall fescue, meadow brome and alice white clover. When seed is affordable I have added chicory and birdsfoot trefoil. I am thinking about adding a sweet clover to the pasture mix it seems to grow in the roadsides quite well here.
Back to top Go down
Double B

PostSubject: Re: stockpiled fescue and daily poliwire move   Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:35 am

Pat do your cows like sweet clover? Mine won't touch it
Back to top Go down
PatB

PostSubject: Re: stockpiled fescue and daily poliwire move   Fri Jul 04, 2014 11:39 am

Double B wrote:
Pat do your cows like sweet clover? Mine won't touch it

They eat what grows along the access roads in several locations.
Back to top Go down
EddieM

PostSubject: Re: stockpiled fescue and daily poliwire move   Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:54 pm

PatB wrote:
why no clover in the mix?  I am a firm believer in adding multiple species of grass and clover to any seed mix I use.  The last mix I spread had orchard grass blend, perrenial rye grass blend, meadow fescue, kora tall fescue, meadow brome and alice white clover.  When seed is affordable I have added chicory and birdsfoot trefoil.  I am thinking about adding a sweet clover to the pasture mix it seems to grow in the roadsides quite well here.

Cowpeas is the legume species in the mix of annuals. We have plenty of white and ball clover along with vetch and scattered red and arrowleaf clover. It is also the wrong time of year to plant clover here so nobody would have anything but old seed in stock. Everything in your list that could possibly be planted here would be planted in late September at the earliest. This is an annual mix to fill a void of months.
Back to top Go down
PatB

PostSubject: Re: stockpiled fescue and daily poliwire move   Fri Jul 04, 2014 6:56 pm

Thankx Eddie

We usually do not have a bad summer slump that you would need to plant annuals to fill here in my location.
Back to top Go down
EddieM

PostSubject: Re: stockpiled fescue and daily poliwire move   Fri Jul 04, 2014 9:55 pm

Pat, it is my try to do better. We'll see.
Back to top Go down
PatB

PostSubject: Re: stockpiled fescue and daily poliwire move   Sat Jul 05, 2014 7:20 am

If it reduces your cost and adds to animal health and well being it is a good thing. I hope you got some of the rain from authur to sprount your plantings.
Back to top Go down
EddieM

PostSubject: Re: stockpiled fescue and daily poliwire move   Sat Jul 05, 2014 2:38 pm

PatB wrote:
If it reduces your cost and adds to animal health and well being it is a good thing.  I hope you got some of the rain from authur to sprount your plantings.

I am trying to do several things: make up for lack of regrowth during a dry period, provide both short term grazing and some longer term somewhat stockpiled annuals for the fall while putting condition back on the ewes and growth on ewe lambs.

Arthur dropped 0.09" here but blew down trees about 10 miles from here with the outside band of thunderstorms. Lightning got some apartments about 35 miles away. We had been blessed with about 3" from Friday until Monday so I hope the residual moisture will do the trick. Before Friday it has been dry at least 3' deep and things were looking bad. Ebb and flow. That's the best imitation of OT I can muster up! jocolor  And I would say "we raise them rough" but it might startle Mike into throwing a flag and giving me a 5 yard penalty!
Back to top Go down
Kent Powell

PostSubject: Re: stockpiled fescue and daily poliwire move   Sat Jul 05, 2014 6:12 pm

Have you ever tried Big Bluestem, Indian grass, or Eastern Gama Grass?
Back to top Go down
http://powellangus.com
EddieM

PostSubject: Re: stockpiled fescue and daily poliwire move   Sun Jul 06, 2014 7:50 am

Kent Powell wrote:
Have you ever tried Big Bluestem, Indian grass, or Eastern Gama Grass?

Yes, and EGG is used for drought periods but also is a rotation in good times for cows and sheep. It waxes and wanes. Probably ought to only be planted here in river bottoms or else I ought to try the selection from TN to see if it is a better fit. Keeping legumes in it is interesting.

We have a strip of BBS and Switchgrass mixed. Better than either straight? Do not know. Switchgrass alone does well. Indian grass in a mix with BBS and LBB did not stick. All require grazing management above typical warm season grasses. The next NWSG that I will plant will be Alamo Switchgrass in the overall plan of coming years.
Back to top Go down
Kent Powell

PostSubject: Re: stockpiled fescue and daily poliwire move   Sun Jul 06, 2014 1:59 pm

I think our start was Iuka 4 about 18 years ago- http://iuka4grass.net/index.html
We had a heck of a time getting any going. A rented worn out USDA drill, dry weather... We have quite a bit still holding on along the road after the last few dry years, so I see no reason we couldn't grow it almost anywhere. We have never grazed it.

Switchgrass only grows in barpits of terraces that hold water. It is more like a 4 foot tall windbreak or erosion buffer than forage (which isn't a bad thing to have). The cows will have everything else bare before they even attempt to eat our Blackwell Switchgrass. The only thing worse is Cimarron Little Bluestem. I found out later, at the Woodward Experiment station, that some "improved" grasses and legumes were selected for tall lush growth under grazing conditions. Well isn't that special. They found grass cattle won't eat, called it improved and planted the whole central US to it with taxpayer money. That is the problem with science, sometimes the pieces don't fit the whole.

Probably the most important warm season grass is Sideoats grama. It is right there in the middle. Quickest productive grass to recover after a dry spell and excellent quality. (other than blue grama and buffalograss- but they are what is left after you have abused the others out of existence)
Back to top Go down
http://powellangus.com
RobertMac

PostSubject: summer forage test   Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:21 pm

Eddie, how did your summer forage test turn out?
Back to top Go down
df

PostSubject: Re: stockpiled fescue and daily poliwire move   Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:29 pm

Back to top Go down
EddieM

PostSubject: Re: stockpiled fescue and daily poliwire move   Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:01 pm

RobertMac wrote:
Eddie, how did your summer forage test turn out?

The sheep are still rotating on the mixture. The sunflower portion was the least useful but was a test only based on Ray Archeletta's comments. The millets and sudangrass have done very well. Since the sheep have parasite resistance the rotation periods have been short but to manage the forage rather that to minimize parasites. I just wish that I had planted it earlier in the year but we were so dry for much of that period. The earlier planting would have been better for the iron clay peas. I guess it was because of the peas but the deer have been true pests with the plantings. But they are true pests with just about anything that grows.

For df:
article wrote:
Monitor roadsides and manage your pastures to try to reproduce what grows there

I find this odd to try to make fertilized pastures to be like unfertilized and ungrazed road shoulders.

I have enjoyed some of the research of Dr. Don Ball and others on both the effects of fungus infected fescue but also the economics of it. Add some legumes and it provides the best return. I think that the studies are in the "Southern Forages" book.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: stockpiled fescue and daily poliwire move   

Back to top Go down

stockpiled fescue and daily poliwire move
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next