Keeney`s Corner

A current and reflective discussion of cattle breeding from outside the registered mainstream

HomeUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

stockpiled fescue and daily poliwire move

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
EddieM

PostSubject: stockpiled fescue and daily poliwire move   Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:06 pm

[url=]01/23 morning allocation[/url]

[url=]center - 2 1st calf heifers[/url]

[url=]freeze damaged stockpiled fescue[/url]

[url=]1st calf heifer, udder and calf born last night[/url]
Back to top Go down
MVCatt

PostSubject: Re: stockpiled fescue and daily poliwire move   Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:10 pm

Boy...Eddie you can't beat new born calves laying in high grass this time of year! Cows look good have they been on that all winter? What's the donkey's role sheep protection?
Back to top Go down
EddieM

PostSubject: Re: stockpiled fescue and daily poliwire move   Thu Jan 23, 2014 6:16 pm

MVCatt wrote:
Boy...Eddie you can't beat new born calves laying in high grass this time of year! Cows look good have they been on that all winter? What's the donkey's role sheep protection?

Cows had been on frost killed bermudagrass and summer mix until the third week of December. Then they got switched over to strip grazing stockpiled fescue. There was more clover visible and available until we hit 14 degrees the other week. A lot of people laugh when I put local ads for "fescue tolerant bulls" but there is such a creature to be selected and increased. Only thing else they get is a decent mineral.

We do have donkeys with sheep but also have them with all cows and bulls. The initial reason was packs of neighbors' pet dogs but now is it a must for coyotes. A couple of years ago I went down to check on a cow's calving progress I had seen in passing. She was about 75' from the poliwire, a donkey was about 25' from the poliwire and a coyote was laying just on the other side of the poliwire: all in a straight line.
Back to top Go down
EddieM

PostSubject: Re: stockpiled fescue and daily poliwire move   Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:17 pm

Bull 715 with his winter coat. A good bull for fescue areas. Been down to 8, 14, 16, 11, etc degrees and this is as hairy as he gets.
Back to top Go down
Bob H

PostSubject: Re: stockpiled fescue and daily poliwire move   Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:17 am

This is great stuff, Do you think that you would say that these cattle are more epi-gentic adapted to their environment and that they can transmit this forward more readily?
If so what is the actual dollar amount that they would be worth more or why the hell aren't more breeders worried about it????

Bob H
Back to top Go down
EddieM

PostSubject: Re: stockpiled fescue and daily poliwire move   Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:29 pm

Bob H wrote:
This is great stuff, Do you think that you would say that these  cattle are more epi-gentic adapted to their environment and that they can transmit this forward more readily?
If so what is the actual dollar amount that they would be worth more or why the hell aren't more breeders worried about it????

Bob H

Bob, it is a funny world. A problem was noted with the KY 31 fescue and in about the same time period the combination team of Hoveland,, Ball and Lacefield printed in their book of forage information that the cheapest cost of gain in cattle in the SE USA came from KY 31 fescue interseeded with clover. But other agronomists decided that they would whip the problem and started with developing endophyte free fescue. It did well until it hit a drought, got over grazed or something and disappeared ASAP. So, the agronomists found an endophyte that didn't seem to bother cattle and they infused it into fungus free fescue to create a better forage.

It is nearly impossible to completely eliminate the good old hardy KY31 but after a number of sprayings, mowings, a loss of a year or two of grazing and buying and planting VERY expensive seeds of the new varieties, ..., Well-l-l-l, ... Utopia! Or, maybe not. The new varieties do not produce quite as much forage and some folks have had trouble ever getting a mature stand. Then the cows eat more of it quicker to gain more weight than they ever would on the old KY 31. So, high cost of establishment + less production + cows eating more quicker = ??

Why would any good cow guy want to give up all of this progress and activity, pass up the chance to bale or buy hay or even consider selecting cows that are local and unimportantly named or nationally known cows and bulls that fit into an environment when he or she can be in the mainstream?
Back to top Go down
Bob H

PostSubject: Re: stockpiled fescue and daily poliwire move   Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:53 pm

Eddie the only reason that I can think that a person would want to do all of that is they have another income to support their cattle habit.
Bob H
Back to top Go down
EddieM

PostSubject: Re: stockpiled fescue and daily poliwire move   Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:25 pm

Bob H wrote:
Eddie the only reason that I can think that a person would want to do all of that is they have another income to support their cattle habit.
Bob H

You are right. A lot of smaller herds here to occupy the land, have a lifestyle and such as that.
Back to top Go down
Tom D
Admin

PostSubject: Re: stockpiled fescue and daily poliwire move   Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:25 pm

Eddie, sorry to hear that your grass was frost damaged.  I couldn't find any of my pigtails and polywire to take a picture of, but here's the top of my five wire hi-tensile.  I'll be biding my time until July when I can post pasture pictures that will make you jealous.

TD, looking forward to getting back up to 8,14,16,11, etc. degrees.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: stockpiled fescue and daily poliwire move   Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:16 pm

Oh Tom that is wonderful to see SNOW. W.T Thinkin Tom is going to have that damn green stuff in the spring What do they call that kent?
Back to top Go down
Kent Powell

PostSubject: Re: stockpiled fescue and daily poliwire move   Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:03 pm

Lichen!?
Back to top Go down
http://powellangus.com

PostSubject: Re: stockpiled fescue and daily poliwire move   Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:27 pm

Kent Powell wrote:
Lichen!?

Thanks Kent at least you didn't drop the G bomb.
Back to top Go down
Grassfarmer

PostSubject: Re: stockpiled fescue and daily poliwire move   Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:56 pm

Tom D wrote:
Eddie, sorry to hear that your grass was frost damaged.  I couldn't find any of my pigtails and polywire to take a picture of, but here's the top of my five wire hi-tensile.  I'll be biding my time until July when I can post pasture pictures that will make you jealous.

Why do you put 5 wire high tensile up in the sky Tom? Is it for the geese or the meese?  scratch
Back to top Go down
http://www.luingcattle.com

PostSubject: Re: stockpiled fescue and daily poliwire move   Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:17 am

Now Iain that is a Lemming fence.
Back to top Go down
EddieM

PostSubject: Re: stockpiled fescue and daily poliwire move   Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:23 am

Tom D wrote:

Thank you, Tom. I feel much better now. I can only offer inferior advice without any deep snow experiences but here goes: Stick with black cattle so that you can find them in the winter. Consider some  farao type so that they cannot stand on a drift and jump over the top wire. Consider improved forages. Do you have to "snow test" in winter and soil test in summer? Plan now to fertilize, spray weeds, buy a better herd bull, use the right vaccines, treat for parasites, buy a better truck, look at new equipment, market your calves for top profits. ... It might not be as cold and deep down here but I am getting more time to the cattle magazines!!
Back to top Go down
PatB

PostSubject: Re: stockpiled fescue and daily poliwire move   Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:59 pm

EddieM wrote:
Tom D wrote:

Thank you, Tom.  I feel much better now.  I can only offer inferior advice without any deep snow experiences but here goes: Stick with black cattle so that you can find them in the winter.  Consider some  farao type so that they cannot stand on a drift and jump over the top wire.  Consider improved forages.  Do you have to "snow test" in winter and soil test in summer?  Plan now to fertilize, spray weeds, buy a better herd bull, use the right vaccines, treat for parasites, buy a better truck, look at new equipment, market your calves for top profits. ...  It might not be as cold and deep down here but I am getting more time to the cattle magazines!!

Why spray weeds? Dr Voth preaches you are supposed to train your cows to eat everything in the pasture but posionous plants.
Back to top Go down
EddieM

PostSubject: Re: stockpiled fescue and daily poliwire move   Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:13 pm

PatB wrote:
EddieM wrote:
Tom D wrote:

Thank you, Tom.  I feel much better now.  I can only offer inferior advice without any deep snow experiences but here goes: Stick with black cattle so that you can find them in the winter.  Consider some  farao type so that they cannot stand on a drift and jump over the top wire.  Consider improved forages.  Do you have to "snow test" in winter and soil test in summer?  Plan now to fertilize, spray weeds, buy a better herd bull, use the right vaccines, treat for parasites, buy a better truck, look at new equipment, market your calves for top profits. ...  It might not be as cold and deep down here but I am getting more time to the cattle magazines!!

Why spray weeds?  Dr Voth preaches you are supposed to train your cows to eat everything in the pasture but posionous plants.  

I'll try to read that magazine tonight and be more modern in the morning.
Back to top Go down
EddieM

PostSubject: Re: stockpiled fescue and daily poliwire move   Sun Feb 02, 2014 8:30 pm

[url=
]cow 198[/url]

Not so much about fescue as maternal ability.  This calf was born Friday and the buzzards harassed the cow and calf as bad as they can.  She was running buzzards here and there and then going back to lie adjacent to the calf.  She moved the calf over a cross fence and about a quarter of a mile during Friday night or during Saturday morning.  Is she a terminal type?  Who knows but I sure do appreciate her as a maternal type.  When I tagged the calf on Saturday she stood by and watched without a fuss.  So they don't have to be man killers to have protective natures.
Back to top Go down
EddieM

PostSubject: Re: stockpiled fescue and daily poliwire move   Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:41 pm

[url=]today's view[/url]

We ran out of stockpiled fescue on Tuesday so they cows got moved back to a grazed over fescue and clover pasture to pick around.  If things get too short I can move them around like flash grazing on short time intervals to different pastures like this one for a while or supplement them with some hay as needed.

[url=]a look from the other side[/url]

Same view but just from the other side and with more light.  Cows and calves always look great from a distance!  It's those up-close details that make us fussy! Still down in the 30's this morning but it is beginning to look more like spring.
Back to top Go down
EddieM

PostSubject: Re: stockpiled fescue and daily poliwire move   Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:51 am

A couple of "fescue" calves from yesterday afternoon. I'm not moving the poliwire anymore as the spring flush is occurring. Move them into a whole pasture, let them trim off the tips or whatever they want and then move them fairly quickly to the next one. A lot of water in the grass. The thing I like the most about these type pictures is the maleness of the bull calf and the femininity of the heifer. Other than that, just a typical spring scene.
Back to top Go down
RobertMac

PostSubject: Re: stockpiled fescue and daily poliwire move   Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:18 pm

Do you keep any hay out on this spring grass and do the cows pay any attention to it?
Back to top Go down
EddieM

PostSubject: Re: stockpiled fescue and daily poliwire move   Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:05 pm

RobertMac wrote:
Do you keep any hay out on this spring grass and do the cows pay any attention to it?
No, just the grass. Hay would help slow the pass through rate but is another expense.
Back to top Go down
MVCatt

PostSubject: Re: stockpiled fescue and daily poliwire move   Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:39 pm

Eddie,
During the grazing season do you graze the sheep and cattle together? Cattle first then sheep? How many cows/ewes per acre?
Back to top Go down
EddieM

PostSubject: Re: stockpiled fescue and daily poliwire move   Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:03 am

MVCatt wrote:
Eddie,
During the grazing season do you graze the sheep and cattle together? Cattle first then sheep? How many cows/ewes per acre?

I've never gotten all of the fences replaced to hold sheep. Last fall I had a group of rams and let them roam across pastures to eat what they would. They prefer legumes and weeds, brier leaves and tree sprouts so they helped on the weeds and did more removal of clover than I had hoped. But, again, the fences did not hold them and they had the urge to roam so I had to toll them back up and end their travels.

One of the high priorities for me is to replace fences and get the sheep on the move. As my father used to say, "I'm a day late and a dollar short". The other thing that will need modification on that are the watering facilities.
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: stockpiled fescue and daily poliwire move   Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:15 pm

EddieM wrote:
RobertMac wrote:
No, just the grass.  Hay would help slow the pass through rate but is another expense.

Eddie, 77 degrees today...the fescue stockpile is taking on a green undercoat; as is the zoysia  Smile 
Back to top Go down
http://www.keeneyscorner.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: stockpiled fescue and daily poliwire move   

Back to top Go down

stockpiled fescue and daily poliwire move
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next