Keeney`s Corner

A current and reflective discussion of cattle breeding from outside the registered mainstream

HomeUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

I'm a lot smarter tonight

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Angus75

PostSubject: I'm a lot smarter tonight   Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:36 pm

It was a real privilege to have a long good visit with Larry Leonhardt this evening. I learned a lot and going to go pick some bulls when I can get away. He made a lot of sense to me and I feel I'm a bit smarter tonight than I was last night.

Back to top Go down
rross

PostSubject: Re: I'm a lot smarter tonight   Wed Dec 11, 2013 8:00 am

Did you and Larry visit about "Brisket Disease" and how he thought his cattle would do at higher elevation????(Nasty Shit to deal with)
Back to top Go down
Angus75

PostSubject: Re: I'm a lot smarter tonight   Wed Dec 11, 2013 8:20 am

That's one thing I asked him about. He said he sells bulls to a guy around Pinedale WY. And they do well. Should I stay away from them? Brisket is a big deal to me my house sits at 7500 ft and my summer I go to 12000 ft. I'd like to try his bulls but nice big dead brisket calves do a guy no good.
Back to top Go down
rross

PostSubject: Re: I'm a lot smarter tonight   Wed Dec 11, 2013 1:37 pm

Angus75 asked...
Should I stay away from them?

Only if you spend a lot of money for them............

My experience with the brisket deal: I was in a camp on the mountain for three years, running 12-1400 hd. of yearlings. The elevation ranged from 8500-9500ft. at camp, with some of the peaks reaching 10700ft and as the feed got short, they would go up high on the peaks early in the fall. The yearlings were put together cattle, with some of them of Shoshone breeding. To my knowledge, we never lost or had problems with Brisket disease in the Shoshone influenced cattle, unlike some of the others.

IF- it were me I would buy a few and have them PAP tested @ home and go from there. Just my 2 cents, worth just what you paid for it.
Back to top Go down
Angus75

PostSubject: Re: I'm a lot smarter tonight   Wed Dec 11, 2013 5:44 pm

I'll do that bring them home and acclimate them for a month or so and pap them. I've pretty much got rid of brisket in my herd so there's no need causing a wreck.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: I'm a lot smarter tonight   Wed Dec 11, 2013 8:50 pm

Youre a lot smarter than 98% already! You had the good sense to think for your self.
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: I'm a lot smarter tonight   Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:06 pm

W.T. wrote:
Youre a lot smarter than 98% already! You had the good sense to think for your self.

yes, we learn these things by ourselves from experience and self-analysis...then we find someone who agrees, or maybe thought of it sooner...and we are reassured  cheers 
Back to top Go down
http://www.keeneyscorner.com
RobertMac

PostSubject: Re: I'm a lot smarter tonight   Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:22 am

Angus75 wrote:
I've pretty much got rid of brisket in my herd so there's no need causing a wreck.

This is why I suggested you use your own bulls from your best cows.

I think you made an excellent choice in the bulls you are going to buy. Sons of these bulls should be an asset and help keep your herd PROBLEM FREE. You will always make more money by saving money on the front end with problem free cattle than chasing what you think a buyer wants in a calf. There are no premiums in the calf market, only discounts.
Back to top Go down
Tom D
Admin

PostSubject: Re: I'm a lot smarter tonight   Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:33 am

Angus75 wrote:
It was a real privilege to have a long good visit with Larry Leonhardt this evening. I learned a lot and going to go pick some bulls when I can get away. He made a lot of sense to me and I feel I'm a bit smarter tonight than I was last night.

How are you going to pick them? (Hint: Larry won't pick them for you)
Back to top Go down
larkota

PostSubject: Re: I'm a lot smarter tonight   Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:24 am

gate cut should work or not??
Back to top Go down
RobertMac

PostSubject: Re: I'm a lot smarter tonight   Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:36 am

larkota wrote:

you beat me to it

RobertMac, looking at the south end of a north bound larkota
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: I'm a lot smarter tonight   Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:01 am

RobertMac wrote:
larkota wrote:

you beat me to it

RobertMac, looking at the south end of a north bound larkota

Oh My Robert You shouldn't have said that....... lol! lol! lol! 
Back to top Go down
Angus75

PostSubject: Re: I'm a lot smarter tonight   Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:08 am

I asked him to just pick some and he said I should come and look for myself and look at the cows. He said there isn't one of the bulls priced any different than the rest. And I can come early or later he said it didn't matter. All you guys probably know all this about him and his cattle. But I'm new to this and it is exciting to me. Someone with that kind of uniformity will be something to see and I'm sure worth the drive to see.
Back to top Go down
larkota

PostSubject: Re: I'm a lot smarter tonight   Thu Dec 12, 2013 12:04 pm

gave up a pheasant hunt once to take Eddie D out to see LL. spent the day listening, didn't see many cows that day. good thing Mike L showed up or we wouldn't have seen any.  Very Happy 

tom d picked his
I took gate cut

give us 50 years will report back.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: I'm a lot smarter tonight   Thu Dec 12, 2013 12:28 pm

larkota wrote:
gave up a pheasant hunt once to take Eddie D out to see LL.  spent the day listening, didn't see many cows that day. good  thing Mike L showed up or we wouldn't have seen any.   Very Happy 

tom d picked his
I took gate cut

Sounds like Larry was testing you two?????????????? Maybe Larry will tell us how you did in a few years... cheers cheers cheers 
Back to top Go down
Tom D
Admin

PostSubject: Re: I'm a lot smarter tonight   Thu Dec 12, 2013 6:28 pm

You can keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool, or you can open your emoticon and remove all doubt.

It was a test alright; Craig got an A because he looked at the heifers but didn't spend any money. I got a B because I spent money, but I at least SELECTED what I wanted. And Briann got a C, because he just wrote a check but was too lazy to go look at the heifers.

There are two myths we need to bust right now:

1) Shoshone cattle are not peas in a pod. Nobody's cattle are peas in a pod. You'll never make them peas in a pod.

2) How can you BREED without practicing SELECTION? We all practice selection, directly and indirectly; some of us even have an idea of what we're selecting for. The ultimate is to do it consistently for a long time.

I'm getting really sick of all this "Yeah, Yeah, we're all different the same. Everybody else is stupid, Yeah, Yeah!" What is this, the Trenchcoat Mafia? Are we all gonna dye our hair purple and wear black lipstick to express our individuality?

Back to top Go down
EddieM

PostSubject: Re: I'm a lot smarter tonight   Thu Dec 12, 2013 7:52 pm

Quote :
Are we all gonna dye our hair purple and wear black lipstick to express our individuality?

If there has been a second, discussion has completed and the chairperson calls for a vote, make me down with a Nay.

Eddie, thinking that chap stick is far enough
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: I'm a lot smarter tonight   Fri Dec 13, 2013 10:06 am

W.T. wrote:
larkota wrote:
gave up a pheasant hunt once to take Eddie D out to see LL.  spent the day listening, didn't see many cows that day. good  thing Mike L showed up or we wouldn't have seen any.   Very Happy 

tom d picked his
I took gate cut

Sounds like Larry was testing you two?????????????? Maybe Larry will tell us how you did in a few years... cheers cheers cheers 

Chap stick works for lots of things Eddie my choice as well....... Tired the gate cut, Picked some as well and had some picked for me....... The results were always the same 50-50. W.T Thinkin emoticons use chap stick too. Cool Cool Cool Cool 
Back to top Go down
RobertMac

PostSubject: Re: I'm a lot smarter tonight   Fri Dec 13, 2013 10:46 am

Never known my mafia ancestors to have purple hair and black lips, but if we all had it, how individual would we be?

Angus75, you might try to get Mr. L to point you toward some lines that have been used at high altitudes.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I'm a lot smarter tonight   

Back to top Go down

I'm a lot smarter tonight
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1