Keeney`s Corner

A current and reflective discussion of cattle breeding from outside the registered mainstream

HomeUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Genomics

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Kent Powell

PostSubject: Genomics    Sat Nov 30, 2013 5:11 am

Where are the predictions for Durability,  Health & Fertility.  Wouldn't that be the place to start rather than have to add it later?
Back to top Go down
http://powellangus.com
PatB

PostSubject: Re: Genomics    Sat Nov 30, 2013 9:17 am

There are no records for those traits in the beef herd that the researchers have access to. Very Happy 
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Genomics    Sat Nov 30, 2013 10:46 am

Then what is the value of the data Pat.... This is a ridiculous endeavor with no consistent controls on the subject studied.... just what do they expect to learn, or is it just another marketing scam that they can profit from. W.T Thinkin this is a merry go round that has no music.
Back to top Go down
larkota

PostSubject: Re: Genomics    Sat Nov 30, 2013 11:44 am

Kent Powell wrote:
Where are the predictions for Durability,  Health & Fertility.  Wouldn't that be the place to start rather than have to add it later?
from select sire
Stay - Stayability (Red Angus & Simmental) - The stayability
EPD predicts the probability of a bull’s daughters
staying in production to at least six years of age compared
to daughters of another bull. Reported as a percentage, a
higher value is desirable.

I do believe you need to be in whole herd reporting.

also from CSU

http://beefmagazine.com/mag/beef_stayability_epds

larkota thinking PatB should have known this. maybe Red Angus & Simmental just have a bigger problem with it or forward thinking, just wait AAA is trying to get on the same band wagon.
Back to top Go down
PatB

PostSubject: Re: Genomics    Sat Nov 30, 2013 12:02 pm

The researchers need data to work with to identify markers for traits of interest. They may have the raw genomic scan data but they need phenotype/actual breeding thru reason for disposal of cows to identify markers for some of the traits. The dairy breeds have been collecting some of this data for decades and select beef breeds with whole herd reporting has some of the data needed to help identify some fo the traits mentioned. The American Angus Association maternal plus program will provide some of this data as more herds enroll and submit breeding, calving and disposal records on all animals in the herd. The biggest factor limiting genomic research maybe the lack of a large pool of phenotype data for breeding/conception/calving/weaning, reason for disposal, temperment, feet/legs data, under attachment, teat size placement and a host of of traits that are hard to measure.

I beleive it is Iowa State that are researching health issues in bovine species in relation to genomic predictions. The dairy industry is farther ahead in genomics due to the decades of records for traits of interest plus AI breeding records/conception rates by individual AI sires.

The world of genomics is in its infancy barely sitting up compare to a human child terms.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Genomics    Sat Nov 30, 2013 1:12 pm

How do we expect any study or EPD to be accurate if the biggest influence is not measured? FEED... A wise man told me once that there was a Bull 814 Z that was a pretty fair bull and that the mountain west is what made him... yes he left good cows in the mountains but he wasn't worth a Crap n Iowa.. Pat the biggest influence on any measurement in cattle is the feed source, and until that can be standardized all the DNA testing and all the data recorded is not worth the effort to collect it, when you have many different ideas on the method of collection or the honesty of the collection. The result is nothing but speculation! The line one's are a closed herd Pat and they have single trait selected for 85 yrs. yet there data is also contaminated due to the HUMAN factor to keep the experiment going. Because if the data had remained pure the line one would have failed long ago. I have been to the RA convention and the BULL SHIT RAN DEEP yes there were some very credible people there that I believe were honest and very good cattle people, but with any Assoc. The monetary reward to the few always removes the credibility for a truthful result. So give it up Pat as PT Barnum said there is a sucker born every day and they can see you coming a mile away. W.T Thinkin enough of the Genomic Bull Shit
Back to top Go down
PatB

PostSubject: Re: Genomics    Sat Nov 30, 2013 1:45 pm

W.T wrote:
How do we expect any study or EPD to be accurate if the biggest influence is not measured? FEED... A wise man told me once that there was a Bull 814 Z that was a pretty fair bull and that the mountain west is what made him... yes he left good cows in the mountains but he wasn't worth a Crap n Iowa.. Pat the biggest influence on any measurement in cattle is the feed source, and until that can be standardized all the DNA testing and all the data recorded is not worth the effort to collect it, when you have many different ideas on the method of collection or the honesty of the collection. The result is nothing but speculation! The line one's are a closed herd Pat and they have single trait selected for 85 yrs. yet there data is also contaminated due to the HUMAN factor to keep the experiment going. Because if the data had remained pure the line one would have failed long ago. I have been to the RA convention and the BULL SHIT RAN DEEP yes there were some very credible people there that I believe were honest and very good cattle people, but with any Assoc. The monetary reward to the few always removes the credibility for a truthful result. So give it up Pat as PT Barnum said there is a sucker born every day and they can see you coming a mile away. W.T Thinkin enough of the Genomic Bull Shit
The AAA annual meeting runs knee deep in BS also. There are many honest people who attend who care more about the cattle then marketing but there are the other extreme represented also. Is genomics perfect "NO !!" is every breeder honest and tell you the whole truth about their cattle?
Back to top Go down
76 Bar

PostSubject: Re: Genomics    Sat Nov 30, 2013 2:06 pm

Quote :
The researchers need data to work with to identify markers for traits of interest.
Pleeeze tell me you jest.  

Quote :
maybe Red Angus & Simmental just have a bigger problem with it or forward thinking
As it applies to RA, reasonably confident its the latter and not the former. And I'll add, any registry that embraces selective input is doing a grave disservice to its so called breed, its membership and far more importantly, the commercial sector. Nuff said.

Quote :
The biggest factor limiting genomic research maybe the lack of a large pool of phenotype data for breeding/conception/calving/weaning, reason for disposal, temperment, feet/legs data, under attachment, teat size placement and a host of of traits that are hard to measure.
Don't know about you, but economically relevant traits (what else matters???) are damned sure easy to measure.
Back to top Go down
larkota

PostSubject: Re: Genomics    Sat Nov 30, 2013 4:06 pm

PatB wrote:
 The American Angus Association maternal plus program will provide some of this data as more herds enroll and submit breeding, calving and disposal records on all animals in the herd.  .
would rather do my own research and pay myself then a tax to AAA. also do not have to share it with reg. breeders using the information just for marketing purpose.
reminded of a saying "a EPD is man's way of correcting his breeding mistake."
larkota thinking PatB must have a hell of a wreck to need so many tools.
Back to top Go down
df

PostSubject: Re: Genomics    Sat Nov 30, 2013 6:54 pm

Kent Powell wrote:
I suspect there will be some G x E to complicate the rankings.

I don't know what the genomic companies are offering but if they don't have phenotypes to go with their predictions, I would struggle to accept it.

Feed records would be nice; how much will it change the rankings of sires? If the rankings don't change much, then using estimations based on mature weight and milk may be adequate.
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Genomics    Sat Nov 30, 2013 9:19 pm

larkota wrote:
Kent Powell wrote:
from select sire

also from CSU

larkota thinking PatB should have known this. maybe Red Angus & Simmental just have a bigger problem with it or forward thinking, just wait AAA is trying to get on the same band wagon.
I`ll be removing three Simmentals from my leased out cows {papers thrown away at purchase}...the sorriest, most worthless females in the last 30 years on this place; all by "popular, proven AI stud bulls"...three Simmy bulls crossed progeny have been a wreck for temperament as well...once again, small sample size Wink  ...somehow, I never seem to luck out and buy one of the "great ones"...Cool Cool  applying Bayes theorem, I find there is a 94% probability that none{great Simmental ones} exist, and that helps my cattle breeding ego Very Happy 
Back to top Go down
http://www.keeneyscorner.com

PostSubject: Re: Genomics    Sat Nov 30, 2013 9:27 pm

W.T Applying W.T'S theorem Bull Shit Is Bull Shit!!!!!!!! And 76 Bar said a mouthful without any Bull Shit with this statement.

Don't know about you, but economically relevant traits (what else matters???) are damned sure easy to measure.  And as Forrest would say That's all I got to say about that.Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Genomics    Sun Dec 01, 2013 7:34 am

W.T wrote:
W.T Applying W.T'S theorem Bull Shit Is Bull Shit!!!!!!!! And 76 Bar said a mouthful without any Bull Shit with this statement.

Don't know about you, but economically relevant traits (what else matters???) are damned sure easy to measure.  And as Forrest would say That's all I got to say about that.Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
? I`m thinking anything easily measured doesn`t have to be measured...except in the search for OUTLIERS

MK, searching through the noise to find a signal to insert in Bayes Theorem to determine the probability there`s no bullshit in the above...
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Genomics    Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:37 am

Back to top Go down
Kent Powell

PostSubject: Re: Genomics    Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:24 am

larkota wrote:
Kent Powell wrote:
from select sire

also from CSU

Is making it to six a great feat? I usually don't even know them by number until they are at least 8. Whole herd reporting= Bovine Common Core
Back to top Go down
http://powellangus.com
PatB

PostSubject: Re: Genomics    Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:32 pm

Kent Powell wrote:
larkota wrote:
Kent Powell wrote:
from select sire

also from CSU

Is making it to six a great feat?  I usually don't even know them by number until they are at least 8.   Whole herd reporting= Bovine Common Core
I believe one of your fellow beef producers in your state sells everything at 5 or younger.
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Genomics    Mon Dec 02, 2013 3:09 pm

PatB wrote:
Kent Powell wrote:
larkota wrote:
Kent Powell wrote:
from select sire

also from CSU

Is making it to six a great feat?  I usually don't even know them by number until they are at least 8.   Whole herd reporting= Bovine Common Core
I believe one of your fellow beef producers in your state sells everything at 5 or younger.
good point Pat; but of course, not a longevity thing...those cow`s epds are outdated by then; replaced by better ones...PROGRESScheers 
Back to top Go down
df

PostSubject: Re: Genomics    Mon Dec 02, 2013 3:17 pm

Kent Powell wrote:
larkota wrote:
Kent Powell wrote:
from select sire

also from CSU

Less than half of the females that calve at the age of two will calve at the age of six, in most herds.
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Genomics    Mon Dec 02, 2013 5:52 pm

df wrote:
Kent Powell wrote:
larkota wrote:
Kent Powell wrote:
from select sire

also from CSU

Less than half of the females that calve at the age of two will calve at the age of six, in most herds.
registered data or commercial? if commercial , where from?
Back to top Go down
df

PostSubject: Re: Genomics    Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:03 pm

MKeeney wrote:
df wrote:
Kent Powell wrote:
larkota wrote:
Kent Powell wrote:
from select sire

also from CSU

Registered
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Genomics    Tue Dec 03, 2013 7:07 pm

Registered

why?

ok, so ert tell us results...do they provide a "why" answer? is a bull with a better ert an answer?
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Genomics    Thu Dec 05, 2013 7:40 am

Back to top Go down
larkota

PostSubject: Re: Genomics    Thu Dec 05, 2013 8:38 am

"It also revealed that Neanderthals and humans interbred about 50,000 years ago."

larkota thinking, Tru-line an idea older then Larry. Shocked 
Back to top Go down
Tom D
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Genomics    Thu Dec 05, 2013 9:03 am

TD, thinking that larkota still exhibits some hybrid vigor.
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Genomics    Fri Dec 06, 2013 6:22 pm

PatB wrote on Advantage...

Quote :
Those of you that have genomic tested some animals have you checked the recalibrated genomic profiles today? The results are far more inline with my animals actuals then they have been in the past. temperament scores are a big change on some of the animals and they reflect what I am seeing on the ground.
so the genome data is beginning to verify what you already knew? wow...I`m going to rush out and get me some kits to back up what I see and say...trust but verify eh? Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Genomics    

Back to top Go down

Genomics
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next