Keeney`s Corner

A current and reflective discussion of cattle breeding from outside the registered mainstream

HomeUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

2014 Keeney Angus Spring Bull Sale

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9 ... 14  Next
AuthorMessage
EddieM

PostSubject: Re: 2014 Keeney Angus Spring Bull Sale   Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:31 am

Where did the concern over Pete come from if the heifers are all still around? Sons?
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: 2014 Keeney Angus Spring Bull Sale   Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:25 am

EddieM wrote:
Where did the concern over Pete come from if the heifers are all still around?  Sons?

exactly Eddie; if you can`t find them, who cares which ones are Petes...

the original concern...
he`s 1100 lb of three year old, parent stock sex machine...but as a production animal; even I must agree with the Big Jammer; boys, the feedlots want cattle that grow... and I want the heifers bigger relative to Pete`s yearling performance when I dilute the heterosis...

but instead of regression effect, what if Pete had been or is  merely homozygous for very poor performance? so, many questions, no definitive answers, no wonder the  "performance breeders " avoid inbreeding like the plague... Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
http://www.keeneyscorner.com
Kent Powell

PostSubject: Re: 2014 Keeney Angus Spring Bull Sale   Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:19 pm

What is #6377?
Back to top Go down
http://powellangus.com
EddieM

PostSubject: Re: 2014 Keeney Angus Spring Bull Sale   Mon Jan 13, 2014 4:49 pm

MKeeney wrote:
EddieM wrote:
Where did the concern over Pete come from if the heifers are all still around?  Sons?

exactly Eddie; if you can`t find them, who cares which ones are Petes...

the original concern...
he`s 1100 lb of three year old, parent stock sex machine...but as a production animal; even I must agree with the Big Jammer; boys, the feedlots want cattle that grow... and I want the heifers bigger relative to Pete`s yearling performance when I dilute the heterosis...

but instead of regression effect, what if Pete had been or is  merely homozygous for very poor performance? so, many questions, no definitive answers, no wonder the  "performance breeders " avoid inbreeding like the plague... Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Is it worth the potential cost to breed him to a few Ch or ChX to see if those calves plateau at a year or keep on growing? I'll have to weigh my 2YO full sibs mated bull to see if I can beat you on that 1100 pounds: probably not. But he'll stay around until I can see how his calves do as he was the cleanup bull after AI on the heifers. Hope springs eternal.
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: 2014 Keeney Angus Spring Bull Sale   Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:38 pm

Kent Powell wrote:
What is #6377?

a bull; though the pic not be conclusive  Rolling Eyes 

just a picture hog; a coming two, he was never noticed by anyone in the spring; had my mind made up to use him anyway; ancestral thing...6377 bred spring cows; he, Transformation , and Pete breeding 75 falls...all the heifers will be for sale before April 15  Exclamation   Exclamation I think I`ll send 6377 up to Hobson to further evaluate; only those attending O Canada know Hobson and Kathlynn; what a pleasure... cheers 

beginning to get a call or two; going to be hard ending tradition; instilling a population attitude; may instead end my little bull business; tradition says sort out the best bulls and then  go look at the dams of your choices...I think, at least hope, sorting the bulls will be tough; seeing the dam`s impossible because I don`t know who`s their momma  Rolling Eyes 
at the risk of being caught a hypocrite, I did pair up my 6 keeping choices  Smile  I am the keeper of the population; wishfully a breeder rather than a producer   Question   about half this herd of cows, though certainly some of my oldest and best, have left here in the past two years...sales and leases...what`s left pretty much suits me as ok...the best won`t assure you of great profits; the worst should not create much problem; and sure as hell won`t break you...

back to Jack
She had no concern for that concrete thing called the individual. Her interest lay in the species, the race.  

so too is my interest in the population; but for an adversarial outcome to Nature...consistency rather than variation

ps...yes, it always rains in Southern KY  Embarassed
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: 2014 Keeney Angus Spring Bull Sale   Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:40 pm

I understand the title to these heifers has already traded hands for profits I consider racketeering and price gouging... Twisted Evil  Evil or Very Mad  Evil or Very Mad 

I mean, what`s a Coors light cost...$4 bucks?

what is it`s value when consumed with the friend who bought it? {and the heifers}

Priceless

one of the pedigrees; what I always thought the ancestry of a "tru-line" would resemble...

...........................Shoshone Eston 774 AAA 14597995  
............. Shoshone Fenley 6309A AAA 15268308    
........................ Shoshone Francis 6309A AAA 14039447  
....KA Larkota 977 AAA 16588851    
 ........................Shoshone Elcore 203-3117 AAA 14597990  
.............. KA Pride 539 AAA 16292474    
.........................  K A Pride 437 AAA 12242173  

sire.............JOD Blowhard

.........................  Shoshone Bond 2784 AAA 12221530  
.............. Shoshone Plato 6118 AAA 13746393    
........................  Shoshone Prudence 6118 AAA 12964115  
.....Shoshone Blanche 7605 JOD AAA 14218091    
.........................  Shoshone 99-2318 AAA 11637007  
.............. Shoshone Blanche 7602 J O D AAA 12769523    
........................  Shoshone Blanche 7601 J O D AAA 11699228  

...... Shoshone Fenley 6309A AAA 15268308    
.........................  Shoshone Francis 6309A AAA 14039447  
..KA Larkota 977 AAA 16588851    
.........................  Shoshone Elcore 203-3117 AAA 14597990  
...... KA Pride 539 AAA 16292474    

dam................JOD Shoshone Blanche 7619  

........................  Shoshone Fritz 6320 AAA 15268307  
....... KA Unwanted 116 AAA 16470475    
....................... Ka Blackcap 523 AAA 16467020.....Shoshone Elcore 203-3117 AAA 14597990     
..JOD Shoshone Blanche 7611 AAA 16499393    
......................  Shoshone Plato 6118 AAA 13746393  
........ Shoshone Blanche 7605 JOD AAA 14218091    
.....................  Shoshone Blanche 7602 J O D AAA 12769523

thankfully, once again, not headed to a paper ship builder, but to a breeder who values breeding more than selling... cheers

afterthought ps..I never knew Joe ever paid enough attention to  farao  to name a bull after him  Shocked
Back to top Go down
Tom D
Admin

PostSubject: Re: 2014 Keeney Angus Spring Bull Sale   Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:45 pm

A new friend in Milwaukee recently explained to me the difference between a fast hustle and a slow hustle. This is just another step in my s-l-o-w hustle. At some point in the future I might need to make a Gilt Trip.

I'm a hustler baby, I just want cha to know. It ain't where I been, it's where I'm about to go.
Back to top Go down
jonken

PostSubject: Re: 2014 Keeney Angus Spring Bull Sale   Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:32 pm

Racketeering Started with Red Lodge Reserve and the pricelessness shall continue  everytime a Blue Moon appears . The bigger question is what to call a non-registered double bred Blowhard ?

Jon .      showing no remorse
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: 2014 Keeney Angus Spring Bull Sale   Thu Jan 16, 2014 7:47 am

MKeeney wrote:

I understand the title to these heifers has already traded hands for profits I consider racketeering and price gouging... Twisted Evil  Evil or Very Mad  Evil or Very Mad 

I mean, what`s a Coors light cost...$4 bucks?

what is it`s value when consumed with the friend who bought it? {and the heifers}

Priceless

one of the pedigrees; what I always thought the ancestry of a "tru-line" would resemble...

............. Shoshone Fenley 6309A AAA 15268308    
........................ Shoshone Francis 6309A AAA 14039447  
....KA Larkota 977 AAA 16588851    
 ........................Shoshone Elcore 203-3117 AAA 14597990  
.............. KA Pride 539 AAA 16292474    

sire.............JOD Blowhard

.........................  Shoshone Bond 2784 AAA 12221530  
.............. Shoshone Plato 6118 AAA 13746393    
........................  Shoshone Prudence 6118 AAA 12964115  
.....Shoshone Blanche 7605 JOD AAA 14218091    
.........................  Shoshone 99-2318 AAA 11637007  
.............. Shoshone Blanche 7602 J O D AAA 12769523    
........................  Shoshone Blanche 7601 J O D AAA 11699228  

...... Shoshone Fenley 6309A AAA 15268308    
.........................  Shoshone Francis 6309A AAA 14039447  
..KA Larkota 977 AAA 16588851    
.........................  Shoshone Elcore 203-3117 AAA 14597990  
...... KA Pride 539 AAA 16292474    

dam................JOD Shoshone Blanche 7619  

........................  Shoshone Fritz 6320 AAA 15268307  
....... KA Unwanted 116 AAA 16470475    
....................... Ka Blackcap 523 AAA 16467020.....Shoshone Elcore 203-3117 AAA 14597990     
..JOD Shoshone Blanche 7611 AAA 16499393    
......................  Shoshone Plato 6118 AAA 13746393  
........ Shoshone Blanche 7605 JOD AAA 14218091    
.....................  Shoshone Blanche 7602 J O D AAA 12769523

thankfully, once again, not headed to a paper ship builder, but to a breeder who values breeding more than selling... cheers

afterthought ps..I never knew Joe ever paid enough attention to  farao  to name a bull after him  Shocked

I need to mention these are not Keeney Angus heifers; and they are not Shoshone heifers; they are/were JOD {Joseph O Dunkum} heifers...because Joe made the selections to create these heifers...it`s high time we sell our cattle with the right name standing behind them; our own... you can not float a breeding program , only a selling program, based on paper...God knows we have got a lot of paper in the cattle business...

I got this email...

Was buying some hay feeder gates today when a guy walked up to me and said he had met me at one of your sales. I remembered him in that he was in the grass fed beef business and got 1-2 bulls a couple years ago. He asked if I had any heifers or feeders for sale. I told him no. He said he really appreciated what you did with your maternal cattle but the cattle from your bulls just were not growing for him.  Why he would want anything from me I have no idea since he did not like calves from your bulls. I then told him maybe it was his lack of feed that caused his not to grow because mine grow just fine when fed. He agreed.  With that said I got some young calves not growing much despite my efforts to give them a dry barn with feed to go into.  Maybe too inbred or homozygous for little grow or just not getting enough feed. Keep up the pretty pictures

all I can evaluate is how cattle perform here; my Angus won`t outgrow my Charolais; do you want them to? but my fall calves sired by Angus bulls are as big as the Charolais sired calves...what`s the limiting factor...the char genes? nope, I figure first milk in the cow ...what`s limiting that? the quality of her feed...can a young calf grow on feed a cow milk`s lesson? I doubt it...ever buy feed for a bottle calf? protein % ?
so, I would say to both those questioning "growth"...are your calves fat? an animal begins to fatten when it stops growing; if your calves aren`t fat, growth genes are not your limiting factor...
so this all ties into the above with this summation...if the calves by my bulls are doing poorly; please observe the first paragraph about "whose your cattle"...if you`re managing well, and the calves look good, I`ll forgive you for calling them Keeney cattle  Very Happy  Very Happy 

ingrain this picture into your brain instead of miracle maker genetic stories  Very Happy 

this will help Smile  
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzzojwV9o7k&list=PLHNbMg7LZBAaIF6HenbO8J8MkXkRpJXJj

somewhere I wrote that 2 lb of ladino clover seed{ $6} per acre will do more to increase your weaning weights than any bull in the Angus breed...

note...even sowing that seed, YOU must provide management that creates an environment that the clover seed can germinate and compete with until it is established...and even after, management must be complimentary to the health of the clover plant...so just like cattle, there are no miracle plants either standing unfed without management alone as a result of genetics...
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: 2014 Keeney Angus Spring Bull Sale   Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:16 pm

What an enjoyable day; provided the last step to start a tru-line breeder on his way; Dan already has considerable breeding experience with another specie...he traces ancestry so we wrote him some papers on a legal pad...
he`ll be tying together these three  cows...

her sire

I think those who`ve seen Fenley daughters will agree how much they resemble Fenley`s dam...no surprise; just the expected...

Dan will create another maternal base with these two cows predominant...

pictured at 16; Dan`s bull a couple days old nursing...

I`ll be picturing some of Dan`s calves from Model A 2 yr old`s tomorrow...I think you will find them interesting; I found them expensive Cool  when I wrote Dan`s check...too much performance  Very Happy  Very Happy

so that`s two breeders in Ohio to contact for future maternal stock...Mark Day, Winchester...Dan Brown, Columbus 

thx guys; it doesn`t take much to fire me back up  cheers 

more breeding units for sale; all it requires is turning loose and breaking free...

Which direction will you choose?
......................................This

......................................Or this

Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: 2014 Keeney Angus Spring Bull Sale   Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:00 am

the tru-line power of complimentarity and heterosis derived from more "pure" purebreds...

tasting their first grain...

Yummy, yummy, yummy I got love in my tummy
And I feel like a lovin' you love, you're such a sweet thing
Good enough to eat thing, and that's just a what I'm gonna do

for sale...5 of these girls...

yes, it snows in the South ...but not much  santa 
Back to top Go down
tim hair

PostSubject: Re: 2014 Keeney Angus Spring Bull Sale   Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:26 pm

how are these bred. pretty uniform just waiting for grass.
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: 2014 Keeney Angus Spring Bull Sale   Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:56 pm

tim hair wrote:
how are these bred. pretty uniform just waiting for grass.

the sire, a rare Waygu bull {rare meaning cheap in this instance } crossed on KA Model A heifers...all calves weaned off two year olds...a mating scheme Dan read about here at the corner; and put into action...thx, Bob H for expanding our visions, and Dan Brown for stepping up and doing...
Back to top Go down
tim hair

PostSubject: Re: 2014 Keeney Angus Spring Bull Sale   Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:47 pm

Just add corn. will eat about like a jersey with all the corn they want.
Back to top Go down
larkota

PostSubject: Re: 2014 Keeney Angus Spring Bull Sale   Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:19 pm

MKeeney wrote:
It took me about 5 years of anxiety to quit registration which was  from my perspective and utilization a complete waste of time...I`m currently in about year two of a 5 year transition to raising about 10 bulls a year for me, and 25 for those who "get it"...whose who "get it" should not have to pay an aggravation tax for the aggravation caused by others...but yesterday we left 60 spring calves as bulls, so another year of sacrificial guinea pig marketing of the truth...besides, they raised the fees at the golf course yesterday; no more near freebies, so back to cattle breeding as hobby number one...I do intend to stay sharp though; just in case DF  brings his clubs on his next visit...the wonderful thing about golf is watching or being an old fat man whooping a young athletes butt Very Happy 

but yes, there are advantages to fitness, best demonstrated by Suzzane Petterson , my fav gal golfer, in Sports Illustrated...Smile 

I watched The Greatest Game ever Played again the other night; a great dramatized story based on truth of a  poor young amateur with a 10 year old caddie{who became a multi-millionaire} whipping  some pros, snobs,  and gentlemen the likes of Harry Vardon in the 1913 US Open ...

Vardon on Golf...

Don't play too much golf. Two rounds a day are plenty.
Harry Vardon

A great deal of unnecessarily bad golf is played in this world.
Harry Vardon

To play well you must feel tranquil and at peace. I have never been troubled by nerves in golf because I felt I had nothing to lose and everything to gain.
Harry Vardon

so on we go with the most inspiring quote ever...golf {life} is a game we cannot win; all we can do is play...cheers

was reading through 2014 Keeney Angus Spring Bull Sale, seems I got stuck on this post and did a little research.
think these clips might help the  defects in your swing...to be watched before you head to Florida.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pEig1D4sJdI&list=RDpEig1D4sJdI
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 2014 Keeney Angus Spring Bull Sale   Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:08 pm

larkota wrote:
MKeeney wrote:
It took me about 5 years of anxiety to quit registration which was  from my perspective and utilization a complete waste of time...I`m currently in about year two of a 5 year transition to raising about 10 bulls a year for me, and 25 for those who "get it"...whose who "get it" should not have to pay an aggravation tax for the aggravation caused by others...but yesterday we left 60 spring calves as bulls, so another year of sacrificial guinea pig marketing of the truth...besides, they raised the fees at the golf course yesterday; no more near freebies, so back to cattle breeding as hobby number one...I do intend to stay sharp though; just in case DF  brings his clubs on his next visit...the wonderful thing about golf is watching or being an old fat man whooping a young athletes butt Very Happy 

but yes, there are advantages to fitness, best demonstrated by Suzzane Petterson , my fav gal golfer, in Sports Illustrated...Smile 

I watched The Greatest Game ever Played again the other night; a great dramatized story based on truth of a  poor young amateur with a 10 year old caddie{who became a multi-millionaire} whipping  some pros, snobs,  and gentlemen the likes of Harry Vardon in the 1913 US Open ...

Vardon on Golf...

Don't play too much golf. Two rounds a day are plenty.
Harry Vardon

A great deal of unnecessarily bad golf is played in this world.
Harry Vardon

To play well you must feel tranquil and at peace. I have never been troubled by nerves in golf because I felt I had nothing to lose and everything to gain.
Harry Vardon

so on we go with the most inspiring quote ever...golf {life} is a game we cannot win; all we can do is play...cheers

was reading through 2014 Keeney Angus Spring Bull Sale, seems I got stuck on this post and did a little research.
think these clips might help the  defects in your swing...to be watched before you head to Florida.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pEig1D4sJdI&list=RDpEig1D4sJdI

Larkota you have been banned from this site. Conduct and bad behavior such as this is just not conducive to quality learning experiences. W.T Thinkin I could have fun with this.
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: 2014 Keeney Angus Spring Bull Sale   Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:39 pm

Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: 2014 Keeney Angus Spring Bull Sale   Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:51 pm

on a more serious note, if fats get any higher, I`m under steer price...of course, I`m under steer weight as well...no Iowa cornstalks to feed

I hope best/better is described ok; but just to uphold the confusion of posters long past; best is average  Smile
Back to top Go down
df

PostSubject: Re: 2014 Keeney Angus Spring Bull Sale   Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:26 pm

Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: 2014 Keeney Angus Spring Bull Sale   Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:46 pm

df wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBjhGHLQnIE

I'll bring my clubs!

for the betterment of the cattle industry , bring your students  Smile 
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: 2014 Keeney Angus Spring Bull Sale   Sat Feb 01, 2014 7:58 pm

Well, my best customer with the greatest concentration of my breeding and a 100 of my cows on shares sold his calves today...while this won't satisfy the critics of maternal first, or the mindless robots who quack "feedlots want cattle that grow ", my customer is happy and that's what matters....11 month old steers weight 755 and bring $1.67, heifer mates weigh 721 and bring $1.61...had hoped to get Trump to buy the heifers but 7 inches of snow and more predicted stymied his enthusiasm...plus 400 heifers on hand...
These prices may not match western prices but I'll post the top load prices in Ky when reported Monday...We'll see how much discount feedlot order buyers applied to these no number, maternally bred cattle

All while I shoot my first sub 40 nine holes today copying the swing of a twelve year old girl who I had the good fortune to golf with yesterday...glad we weren't keeping score ....about 85 lbs of athlete who got the most out of her physical ability because of
Technique...
Back to top Go down
Grassfarmer

PostSubject: Re: 2014 Keeney Angus Spring Bull Sale   Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:14 pm

Still comes to a fair chunk of change. Don't know how they compare to western US cattle either but they are pretty close to the current Alberta prices which have taken a significant jump in recent weeks. On 6799 head Calgary Stockyards averaged $174 and $162 on 7 weight steers and heifers respectively.
Back to top Go down
http://www.luingcattle.com
Kent Powell

PostSubject: Re: 2014 Keeney Angus Spring Bull Sale   Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:34 pm

We had a customer's steer calves bring $1400 @ 650 through the sale barn two weeks ago.

My jumper cow weighed 1255 and brought 133.75. I thought she would bring more. Not long ago I was happy with 133 for calves.
Back to top Go down
http://powellangus.com
alexfarms

PostSubject: Re: 2014 Keeney Angus Spring Bull Sale   Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:17 pm

MKeeney wrote:

I just read that one to my wife. She liked it, she smiled?

Funny joke.
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: 2014 Keeney Angus Spring Bull Sale   Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:29 am

MKeeney wrote:
Well, my best customer with the greatest concentration of my breeding and a 100 of my cows on shares sold his calves today...while this won't satisfy the critics of maternal first, or the mindless robots who quack "feedlots want cattle that grow ", my customer is happy and that's what matters....11 month old steers weight 768 and bring $1.67, heifer mates weigh 721 and bring $1.61...had hoped to get Trump to buy the heifers but 7 inches of snow and more predicted stymied his enthusiasm...plus 400 heifers on hand...
These prices may not match western prices but I'll post the top load prices in Ky when reported Monday...We'll see how much discount feedlot order buyers applied to these no number, maternally bred cattle

All while I shoot my first sub 40 nine holes today copying the swing of a twelve year old girl who I had the good fortune to golf with yesterday...glad we weren't keeping score ....about 85 lbs of athlete who got the most out of her physical ability because of
Technique...

well, seems we beat the market $6.00/cwt...so much for that "feedlots want cattle that grow" crowd that wants you to believe that 50 lb yw epd don`t...

including 61 hd 720 lbs (blk) 160.95 and 62 hd 768 lbs (blk)
167.00;
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 2014 Keeney Angus Spring Bull Sale   

Back to top Go down

2014 Keeney Angus Spring Bull Sale
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 4 of 14Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9 ... 14  Next