Keeney`s Corner

A current and reflective discussion of cattle breeding from outside the registered mainstream

HomeUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

2014 Keeney Angus Spring Bull Sale

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8 ... 14  Next
AuthorMessage
tc

PostSubject: Re: 2014 Keeney Angus Spring Bull Sale   Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:59 pm

MKeeney wrote:
Travis, ultimately, as TomD has already hinted, I pass my final judgment on breeders by the women they partner with...Linda and I agree; Shirley has put you over the top Very Happy cheers

Thanks Mike I know I married up..
Back to top Go down
EddieM

PostSubject: Re: 2014 Keeney Angus Spring Bull Sale   Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:13 pm

MKeeney wrote:
all them guys rushing to Luke`s and Larkota`s to hunt pheasants in SD...When here in KY, you can golf and hunt at the same time...tell Shirley we`re having turkey for lunch tomorrow Travis..Smile 

Mike, what is your range to hit a tom in the head with a golf ball? Just wear a hunting jacket as you play a round so that you can be a double sportsman. Golf ball hunting could probably count as a primitive weapon to boot. It is about time to round up a turkey.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 2014 Keeney Angus Spring Bull Sale   Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:37 pm

EddieM wrote:
MKeeney wrote:
all them guys rushing to Luke`s and Larkota`s to hunt pheasants in SD...When here in KY, you can golf and hunt at the same time...tell Shirley we`re having turkey for lunch tomorrow Travis..Smile 

Mike, what is your range to hit a tom in the head with a golf ball?  Just wear a hunting jacket as you play a round so that you can be a double sportsman.  Golf ball hunting could probably count as a primitive weapon to boot.  It is about time to round up a turkey.
Now Eddie you never miss a trick...... I can see mike right now hunting in his golf bag for a TURKEY IORN.. W.T Thinkin I want a Video of Mike hunting turkeys Opps I need to be Gentle......
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: 2014 Keeney Angus Spring Bull Sale   Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:17 am

Linda did a video of my swing with a golf app on her I-Phone...very revealing; pure introspection; the fattest turkey on the course is me Embarassed 
Back to top Go down
http://www.keeneyscorner.com
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: 2014 Keeney Angus Spring Bull Sale   Sat Nov 09, 2013 6:54 am

MKeeney wrote:
Linda did a video of my swing with a golf app on her I-Phone...very revealing; pure introspection; the fattest turkey on the course is me Embarassed 
well, I`ve been taking a fair bit of ribbing here and on the course about my turkey swing...I tried to make my swing prettier yesterday, but kinda like using pretty cattle, the final result was not what I wanted...in short, the damn ball was farther from the hole Exclamation 
then I remembered Arnold Palmer`s golf commercial and advice to "swing your own swing" ; very similar to us saying "breed your own cattle"...so today, I`m following Arnie`s advice; not worrying with creating a pretty swing {Arnie`s was not}, but paying more attention to where the ball ends up...
Further substantiating Arnie as an instructor worthy of following, is the kind of students he attracts... Smile 

Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: 2014 Keeney Angus Spring Bull Sale   Sat Nov 09, 2013 6:12 pm

well, a change of heart today...what`s the saying "why would you expect a different result if you keep doing things the same old way over and over"...practice doesn`t make perfect if the methodology is fundamentally flawed...so I ditched the old swing, and even as things were worse at first, there were enough good shots; no, better than that, near effortless, perfect shots that I got a good glimpse today of what the future can be...Smile 

no, Kate Upton isn`t in it Smile 
Back to top Go down
EddieM

PostSubject: Re: 2014 Keeney Angus Spring Bull Sale   Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:52 am

MKeeney wrote:
well, a change of heart today...what`s the saying "why would you expect a different result if you keep doing things the same old way over and over"...practice doesn`t make perfect if the methodology is fundamentally flawed...so I ditched the old swing, and even as things were worse at first, there were enough good shots; no, better than that, near effortless, perfect shots that I got a good glimpse today of what the future can be...Smile 

no, Kate Upton isn`t in it Smile 
Skip the sale and just have a 2014 Spring Keeney golf tournament and private treaty bull sale. The locals down at the clubhouse will be impressed with a parking lot full of trucks and cow trailers especially if you load them prior to the sports outing. I enjoy outdoor sports but never did get into golf. Somebody gave me some of the balls they shot but we never figured out how to cook them. I'll stick with scrambled eggs.
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: 2014 Keeney Angus Spring Bull Sale   Tue Nov 12, 2013 8:48 pm

Pregged 64 yearlings today...found a free martin, a screwy uterus on an open charolais, 2 Angus just plain open...most up close of the turnout dates; fertility I am most happy with....bred to two bulls; a Blythie descendent and Transformation... now don`t those names mean a lot to you Question Smile ..it`s the program that counts, not the pedigree...
Back to top Go down
Mark Day

PostSubject: Re: 2014 Keeney Angus Spring Bull Sale   Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:24 pm

Good grass year! And genetics to match.
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: 2014 Keeney Angus Spring Bull Sale   Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:03 pm

Mark Day wrote:
Good grass year! And genetics to match.
cool temps; good feed...
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: 2014 Keeney Angus Spring Bull Sale   Fri Nov 15, 2013 11:34 pm

If you retire to your chair you are dead within a year and there is plenty of time for that.

11-15; beautiful day;played 18 holes of golf; then went to dinner and dancing; more dinner than dancing; made it to 10:30; not bad...seemed like Saturday; but then every day seems like Saturday...
did take a few shots on location this morning

no-tell wheat behind silage looking good..

some of last springs wheat under the most economical barn I`ve found...

the spring calving heifers on grass

I like some "best" ...I have no clue which will be the most profitable...like the big jammer, I too believe in using the very best bulls available each year; the ones I raise are best for me...

their next stop...

stockpiled fescue is a golfer`s best friend..

could stretch the utilization with a hotwire...not going to...

dam of herd bulls...poor thing

another

thicker would be to her detriment

mature cows next stop

success is when your neighbors don`t know if you are working or playing...for that matter, even better, neither do I Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Larry Leonhardt

PostSubject: Re: 2014 Keeney Angus Spring Bull Sale   Sat Nov 16, 2013 12:00 pm

Omigosh, can't believe those November pictures Mike!!!! Good genes, good year round environment, good management, good life = COW HEAVEN

Could stretch the utilization with a hot wire.....not going to.....

LL, so terribly envious, wishing I lived in Dixie Land...looking away, looking away to the day, I could make my stand on Keeney Land, hurray, hurray !! ....... dammit, my cows are scrounging on leftover beet tops and dried up weeds on ditchbanks sticking up through the snow.....life just AIN'T FAIR Very Happy
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: 2014 Keeney Angus Spring Bull Sale   Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:52 am

some of last springs wheat under the most economical barn I`ve found...

a few have asked about the light weight tarps; ...we lay poly baler string underneath the 48 bale stacks every 10 feet...then just tie them down in the sewn in loops and across the ends; takes less than an hour for 1 man; no need to climb; ...should retighten after hay settles...treat`em like crap and get 5 years; take care and get 10 easily...a no-brainer in 40 inch+ rainfall country...

http://www.mcssl.com/store/cowcoinc/catalog/product/15821add3a484338922440d22fd721c4
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: 2014 Keeney Angus Spring Bull Sale   Sun Nov 24, 2013 8:19 am

I continue buying the calves back out of some cows I sell; yesterday`s entire crop of bull calves weighed 620 after hauled a 100 miles...Tn had a good grass year as well:cheers: ...sired by a 35 lb yearling weight epd by-product bull from maternal selection...these damn calves get any heavier, I won`t be able to afford them Very Happy 
Back to top Go down
Grassfarmer

PostSubject: Re: 2014 Keeney Angus Spring Bull Sale   Sun Nov 24, 2013 10:31 am

By way of contrast - had to go lead my cows across the river onto a new block of winter grazing during the week. A mile walk in snowshoes at -31C pulling 2 salt blocks on a sledge as bait constitutes a workout here without going to the gym! Cows were scared to cross as it isn't properly frozen yet, the bit they broke through is only a foot deep so a quick plunge and up the other side to "pasture" new.

For those that visited and commented how big and fat my heifers were - it was in preparation for these conditions. We have more than 18" of snow on the level and its about the limit of what they can graze through. The dark heifer (centre front) has been grazing right in over her eyes and will enjoy the warmer weather today to thaw that icing on her eyes. They are happy enough working away not looking for a handout but utilization is really poor - probably 25%. I guess this is the first year I'm going to run out of grazeable conditions before I run out of winter grass.

And I'm still trying to figure out what feat of magic uses to get these tarps over the hay piles without climbing scratch
Back to top Go down
http://www.luingcattle.com
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: 2014 Keeney Angus Spring Bull Sale   Sun Nov 24, 2013 10:52 am

ya know Grassy, you can sure be thankful you don`t live in a harsh environment like  Iowa; you couldn`t even pretend to graze cattle in winter there Smile  and even in Kentucky, snow is a worry to many; when of course, the real problem is there is nothing under the snow but earth... grass long devoured by overgrazing...
the tarps are so light; just throw a weighed rope over the top and pull an end of the tarp over; and continue pulling that side over...a nobarner Smile 

beautiful pics; beautiful country; cattle as good as they can get...but I think the pictorials are experience enough for me; I do believe, once a warmlander, always a warmlander Smile
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: 2014 Keeney Angus Spring Bull Sale   Tue Dec 03, 2013 5:51 pm

aggravating call from a customer yesterday; has always bought leftover bulls...cheaper, of course...very satisfied, needs a couple of new ones; has been breeding daughters to the old ones...
I say "shouldn`t do that"
he says "no problems"
"yeah, but regression"
what`s that?
loss of vigor
ok..how often should I change
well, at least don`t breed the twos to their sire
how much for two bulls?
probably about 1900
aww, you know you`ll take 1650
nope, I`ll feed them to may 1
well, 1700?
I`ll send you a sale notice...if the market for steers crashes; might sell them to you for 1500; if not, 1900...

as aggravating as ignorance is, still I give him credit for being a helluva lot smarter than the buyers of the 300 bulls farao sold for $5200...
Back to top Go down
Grassfarmer

PostSubject: Re: 2014 Keeney Angus Spring Bull Sale   Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:28 pm

I get calls from people who have heard of our breed but don't know anything about it. I find it difficult to answer them in terms that fit with their perceptions of cattle/breeds.
A recent conversation:

I've got some questions about Luings
OK, fire away
So what weaning weight do you get with Luing calves?
Well it rather depends on your system and management (then realizing I don't have time to get into a lengthy explanation as I have cows to feed) - ours wean around 550lbs
That's OK then eh?
So how big are Luing cows?
er well (thinking of explaining the range of variation but deciding against it) - the ones we ship are 13-1400lbs
what kind of udders do they have - good like an Angus?
yes, most of ours are pretty good although I'd point out that you get Angus with good udders and Angus with poor udders just like any other breed
so the udders are good, eh? not big jug teats like a Shorthorn?
no, we don't see many with big jug teats like a Shorthorn Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
http://www.luingcattle.com
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: 2014 Keeney Angus Spring Bull Sale   Wed Dec 04, 2013 4:32 am

It took me about 5 years of anxiety to quit registration which was  from my perspective and utilization a complete waste of time...I`m currently in about year two of a 5 year transition to raising about 10 bulls a year for me, and 25 for those who "get it"...whose who "get it" should not have to pay an aggravation tax for the aggravation caused by others...but yesterday we left 60 spring calves as bulls, so another year of sacrificial guinea pig marketing of the truth...besides, they raised the fees at the golf course yesterday; no more near freebies, so back to cattle breeding as hobby number one...I do intend to stay sharp though; just in case DF  brings his clubs on his next visit...the wonderful thing about golf is watching or being an old fat man whooping a young athletes butt Very Happy 

but yes, there are advantages to fitness, best demonstrated by Suzzane Petterson , my fav gal golfer, in Sports Illustrated...Smile 

I watched The Greatest Game ever Played again the other night; a great dramatized story based on truth of a  poor young amateur with a 10 year old caddie{who became a multi-millionaire} whipping  some pros, snobs,  and gentlemen the likes of Harry Vardon in the 1913 US Open ...

Vardon on Golf...

Don't play too much golf. Two rounds a day are plenty.
Harry Vardon

A great deal of unnecessarily bad golf is played in this world.
Harry Vardon

To play well you must feel tranquil and at peace. I have never been troubled by nerves in golf because I felt I had nothing to lose and everything to gain.
Harry Vardon

so on we go with the most inspiring quote ever...golf {life} is a game we cannot win; all we can do is play...cheers
Back to top Go down
Tom D
Admin

PostSubject: Re: 2014 Keeney Angus Spring Bull Sale   Wed Dec 04, 2013 7:46 pm

Maybe she'd play a round with you if you still looked like a Player.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 2014 Keeney Angus Spring Bull Sale   Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:51 pm

Oh my Tom. That's surely not Mike...lol! 
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: 2014 Keeney Angus Spring Bull Sale   Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:21 pm

Tom D wrote:
Maybe she'd play a round with you if you still looked like a Player.

400 crunches a day and you can look like that at 78  Tom...Smile Only problem I have with old Gary is he`s pretty much vegetarian...

wiki fact..In July 2013, he will become the oldest athlete ever to pose nude in ESPN The Magazine's annual Body Issue which he hopes will inspire people to keep looking after themselves throughout their lives.

edit..it is rumored that carrying irrigation pipe daily can have the same effect as crunches ...Smile 
Back to top Go down
jonken

PostSubject: Re: 2014 Keeney Angus Spring Bull Sale   Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:43 pm

W.T wrote:
Looks like Tom added  (photoshopped) some hair and Mike is using DF's clubs .

"Never let the fear of striking out keep you from swinging " Babe Ruth .

Please add Babe's quote to any level of TRULINE you wish to ...................    Jon
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: 2014 Keeney Angus Spring Bull Sale   Thu Dec 05, 2013 8:06 am

Jon,
I chatted with Harold Trump yesterday; gave him the sales pitch on about a 100 weaned Angus heifers for sale come January in KY owned by my lease cow partner......Harold sold 270 heifers that he had jumped through the Show-Me-Select hoops for $2304...I`m beginning to believe the guys who say it`s hard to find a good heifer in Missouri ; if you gotta pay that much, they must be scarce...
Back to top Go down
Tom D
Admin

PostSubject: Re: 2014 Keeney Angus Spring Bull Sale   Thu Dec 05, 2013 10:24 pm

jonken wrote:
W.T wrote:
Looks like Tom added  (photoshopped) some hair and Mike is using DF's clubs .

"Never let the fear of striking out keep you from swinging " Babe Ruth .

Please add Babe's quote to any level of TRULINE you wish to ...................    Jon
This "jonken" composite is more confusing than the pinebank program. Is it Paternal or Maternal or what? The best of both worlds? How do you know which half is going to be expressed?scratch 

DT
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 2014 Keeney Angus Spring Bull Sale   

Back to top Go down

2014 Keeney Angus Spring Bull Sale
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 14Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8 ... 14  Next