Keeney`s Corner

A reflective and futuristic view of cattle breeding from outside the registered mainstream

HomeFAQSearchUsergroupsRegisterLog in
Share | 

Developmental Duplication genetic condition

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
AuthorMessage
PatB

PostSubject: Re: Developmental Duplication genetic condition   Wed 14 Aug 2013, 7:49 am

Mike

I will be and many other cattle producers take financial losses due to slipped calves or fertility issues caused by this defect and others similar to it. Hopefully removing of animals that show fertility issues from the herd will reduce the incidences of fertility defects. What is couple of extra calves a year worth to the bottom line?
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Developmental Duplication genetic condition   Wed 14 Aug 2013, 8:12 am

PatB wrote:
Mike

I will be and many other cattle producers take financial losses due to slipped calves or fertility issues caused by this defect and others similar to it.  Hopefully removing of animals that show fertility issues from the herd will reduce the incidences of fertility defects.  What is couple of extra calves a year worth to the bottom line?
sorry Pat, not a clear question on my part...who are the registered breeders that will suffer the greatest monetary losses? losses will be directly proportional to how much they paid for what is now defective cattle ? what is the lesson some should be learning by now? don`t pay too much for any breeding stock; the genetics aren`t worth it; the extraordinary prices are for admittance to the con game, and these cattle just got kicked out...and no OT, Greg`s cattle aren`t worth anymore today than they were 2 weeks ago to a commercial cattle; what they will do genetically hasn`t changed a bit...

does the scientific community really believe these are recent mutations, or is mutation a handy excuse for all the outside breeds/blood that have been improperly added to the Angus registry?
Back to top Go down
http://www.keeneyscorner.com
PatB

PostSubject: Re: Developmental Duplication genetic condition   Wed 14 Aug 2013, 8:30 am

It is my understanding that this defect is very old and could also affect most mammal species.  I have no idea who is going to take the biggest hit from this latest defect and don't eally care but more genetic defects will be identified in the future.   I am more worried what it will do to my program as I have used several of the bulls listed as carriers in the past.  I can think of several  incidence that have been ignored by the AAA the involved registered sires and commercial dams.
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Developmental Duplication genetic condition   Wed 14 Aug 2013, 8:40 am

MKeeney wrote:
Oldtimer wrote:
LCP wrote:

LCP, waiting for the $LEG index to be unveiled
Laughing Laughing 

This sure makes Greg Goldens (Cole Creek Angus) catalog line "This herd is free of and has NO 9J9-Precision, NO Fame-Focus, NO 315-036-New Design, and NO Bando 155-Bando 598" that much more significant- and valued...
why doesn`t he say...if you close breed our cattle, you won`t have any genetic defects?
this is a discussion group OT; I`m really getting tired of your jibe and jive, Ali shuffle...if you`ve something to discuss, do it...if you`ve only just got something to say, save it ...
Back to top Go down
PatB

PostSubject: Re: Developmental Duplication genetic condition   Wed 14 Aug 2013, 12:43 pm

copied from advantage. It sums up the defect quite nicely.

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by TYROINOZ

From what is known about these body pattern duplication defects in mice I suspect that only 1% to 5% would survive to full term. Most are undetected abortions in the first half of pregnancy. I have another conjoined twin case with DDC consistent pedigrees on both sides (ie known DD carrier parents).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

on this defect, in my opinion, the highlighted in red quote is both the issue and potential benefit to the breed as a whole. It would depend as to when the affected calf is slipped in general but if beyond 60 days and before 200 days of pregnancy it would lead to cows who, though checked pregnant, failed to deliver on time. Given the bloodlines involved you have to calculate there are a lot of potential carriers out in the commercial and registered Angus population.

In my view the testing and elimination of carrier bulls going into commercial herds will actually benefit the breed two-fold. First the likelihood of affected calves being born is eliminated, but secondly and more importantly, the rate of females exposed to bulls who conceive and deliver on time should go up, in one fell swoop we have improved fertility!

We can't bury our heads and hope the problem goes away, like it seems the motion and promotion end of the breed seems to endorse, we should test to determine prevalence within our herds and we should insure only DDF bulls go out to work.
Back to top Go down
Kent Powell

PostSubject: Re: Developmental Duplication genetic condition   Wed 14 Aug 2013, 1:56 pm

Every defect has been advertised in a catalog as needed change and improvement and been delivered in nitrogen as superior to what you already have and it was not true.

The last one is funny as he was advertised as having extra leg and really did pass it on.

Oldtimer

PostSubject: Re: Developmental Duplication genetic condition   Wed 14 Aug 2013, 2:11 pm

MKeeney wrote:
MKeeney wrote:
Oldtimer wrote:
LCP wrote:

Laughing Laughing 

This sure makes Greg Goldens (Cole Creek Angus) catalog line "This herd is free of and has NO 9J9-Precision, NO Fame-Focus, NO 315-036-New Design, and NO Bando 155-Bando 598" that much more significant- and valued...
why doesn`t he say...if you close breed our cattle, you won`t have any genetic defects?
this is a discussion group OT; I`m really getting tired of your jibe and jive, Ali shuffle...if you`ve something to discuss, do it...if you`ve only just got something to say, save it ...
I can't answer for Greg- but maybe he will address you and your question in his next catalog article...
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Developmental Duplication genetic condition   Wed 14 Aug 2013, 2:56 pm

Oldtimer wrote:
MKeeney wrote:
MKeeney wrote:
Oldtimer wrote:
LCP wrote:

Laughing Laughing 

I can't answer for Greg- but maybe he will address you and your question in his next catalog article...
you`re the one that stated Greg`s cattle were more valuable now...so I must assume you know they are recessive defect free?
Back to top Go down
Oldtimer

PostSubject: Re: Developmental Duplication genetic condition   Wed 14 Aug 2013, 3:03 pm

MKeeney wrote:
Oldtimer wrote:
MKeeney wrote:
MKeeney wrote:
Oldtimer wrote:
LCP wrote:

Laughing Laughing 

you`re the one that stated Greg`s cattle were more valuable now...so I must assume you know they are recessive defect free?
Well to me- about now they are more valuable than some New Design cow... Except to me- they have been for quite some time...
Back to top Go down
MKeeney
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Developmental Duplication genetic condition   Wed 14 Aug 2013, 3:35 pm

Oldtimer wrote:
MKeeney wrote:
Oldtimer wrote:
MKeeney wrote:
MKeeney wrote:
Oldtimer wrote:
LCP wrote:

Laughing Laughing 

Well to me- about now they are more valuable than some New Design cow... Except to me- they have been for quite some time...
so as I thought, nothing has really changed...except your future possibilities to continue your composite program has been limited by one; by the time you need another outcross, there will be some tested free of what they call this????...I think I`ll call it "one leg up"... is that more accurate than "defect' Kent? Smile 
Back to top Go down

Developmental Duplication genetic condition

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 8Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Keeney`s Corner ::  :: -